Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 56562 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #805 on: June 22, 2022, 07:10:50 PM »
69 No Prayer for the Dying
Appeared on 13 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 6 (Dave_Manchester)

68 Déjà Vu
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 16 (pg1067)

I had No Prayer For The Dying at #17. This is a great song and a real gem on this album. Loved the live versions. Bruce always had a great spoken intro to it. In Providence, he said he was 32 and hoped he would still be coming back at 42.
He's 63 now and still going strong.

I had Deja Vu at #87, missing the countdown. I love the song. Short and Sweet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #806 on: June 22, 2022, 07:30:24 PM »
72 Rainmaker
Appeared on 14 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (wolfking)

I had this at 63, so not far off its landing spot. Good song, one that works well with the short running time.

71 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Highest Ranking: 4 (Cool Chris)

This is one that could have been a bit higher had I done my list a different day, but I ultimately had it at 53.  I am a big fan of A Matter of Life and Death, so you can't go wrong with anything from that record.

70 Out of the Silent Planet
Appeared on 15 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 5 (Shalev Amir)

This could be one that eventually grabs me, but for now it feels like an overly repetitive song thanks to the name of the song seemingly appearing 205 times in it.
Rainmaker - This is one of the better songs on DoD, but still only landed at 105 for me.

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - I've made it no secret that AMoLaD is my favorite reunion album. So this one landing at #25 should come as no surprise. Just a great proggy track with a moody intro and great music/vocals throughout. I also think Bruce was at his strongest vocally on this album with regards to the reunion albums.

Out of the Silent Planet - This is a good song, like most of BNW, just missing my list at #89.

This was unranked for me.  Probably the best song from the album of the same name, but much of that album was a miss for me, so not a super high bar to clear.  Some really tasty guitar work in this one, though, for sure, and the chaotic nature of the instrumental section is pretty sweet.

68 Déjà Vu

This would have been unranked for me six weeks ago, but I am liking it more and more, and it landed at 62 once I locked in my picks.  My 2nd least favorite song from what has become my favorite record by the Maiden, and you know an album is pretty darn good when the 2nd least best song is this good.

No Prayer for the Dying - Fell outside of my list at #101. Thinking about it now, it probably should have ended up a little higher. One of the better songs on that album.

Déjà Vu - This barely snuck on my list at #75. This actually ended up being a last second addition. The songs that got bumped for this may cause some controversy.... :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #807 on: June 22, 2022, 07:31:43 PM »

68 Déjà Vu

No Prayer - unranked by me, but only just. I could have easily had this song anywhere from 50 to 75 I'd say but it missed out in the end. This is probably my second favourite song on the album though which overall is one of Maiden's weakest albums.

Deja Vu - ranked 38 for me. I love this song. It is actually the lowest ranking song from the songs from SiT that made my top 75 (I hope that makes sense!) Awesome intro, beautiful guitar work from Dave. Just a very catchy fast paced rocker with a great instrumental section.

Offline 425

« Reply #808 on: June 22, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »
69. No Prayer for the Dying
My ranking: Unranked (101-125 range)

This is a good song, but it's one that I enjoy when I'm listening to it, but rarely think about when I'm not. I remarked when I listened to this album earlier this month that this song strikes me as a poor man's Infinite Dreams. That doesn't make it a bad song, because Infinite Dreams is really good, but that impression remains.

I think the highlights are Bruce's singing on the second verse, and Dave's second solo where things really pick up in intensity. The main theme is quite good, too, even if it's part of what gives me the Infinite Dreams feeling.

This is in my top three on No Prayer for the Dying, but when I look at the sheer volume of quality material they've put out over the years, it's hard for that album to stack up.

68. Deja Vu

This falls into similar "enjoy it but rarely think about it" territory as No Prayer for the Dying, with the key difference being that it's one of the weakest songs on one of their best albums instead of one of the strongest songs on one of their worst albums.

I like this song. It's got the trademark Dave Murray intro solo and some instrumentation elsewhere, particularly in the first part of the instrumental section. I don't find the vocal melodies compelling compared to a lot of their other songs. The verses are solid, but the chorus is a bit bland.

My list so far (3/8):
63. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
48. Death of the Celts
43. Out of the Silent Planet
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #809 on: June 22, 2022, 08:47:05 PM »
No Prayer for the Dying came in at 15 for me. I love the steady pacing of this one, the vocal performance, which is a little mad and desperate and tired, in just the right way. Feelings which I think are echoed well in the instrumental section. It's the only song on the album that made my list, but boy is it a good one.

Deja Vu didn't rank for me. I think it's a fine song but doesn't compare favorably to the songs around it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #810 on: June 22, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »
No Prayer for the Dying came in at 15 for me.

Nice!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #811 on: June 22, 2022, 08:57:35 PM »
It's a battle between the reunion and the classic eras (I'm including No Prayer and FoTD in the classic era which could maybe be it's own era) with 4 songs each so far. From my list I definitely favour the classic era overall but so far I have unranked 2 of the classic era songs compared to 1 reunion era song.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #812 on: June 22, 2022, 09:24:04 PM »

68 Déjà Vu

Neither of these made my list. No Prayer for the Dying ended up 121st overall. I don’t hate this song by any stretch but this is one song that I have never reached out for from the album of the same name. Kinda reminds me of Infinite Dreams, which I think is funny because it’s not the only 7th Son comparison I can make with this album.

Deja-Vu hit 77th the first time, but 113th the second. This one I have a love/like relationship with. As Kev said, it’s one that isn’t far off the bottom of my list from a gem of an album, so it’s not bad, it’s just not as strong as everything else around it, which lowers it down.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline 425

« Reply #813 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:37 AM »

68 Déjà Vu

Neither of these made my list. No Prayer for the Dying ended up 121st overall. I don’t hate this song by any stretch but this is one song that I have never reached out for from the album of the same name. Kinda reminds me of Infinite Dreams, which I think is funny because it’s not the only 7th Son comparison I can make with this album.

I said this some weeks ago in the main thread, but I think NPftD feels like a mini-Infinite Dreams and Mother Russia feels like a mini-SSoaSS (the song).

I could also conceive of comparing the Tailgunner intro to the Moonchild intro, but I think that's a bit more of a stretch.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: June 23, 2022, 04:27:21 AM »
Would have to check my list on my PC but No Prayer was pretty high.  12-15 from memory.  Its incredible.  Its one I think they could bring out these days.  Would give Bruce a few less vocals and has a ripping middle section.

Edit:  Can confirm No Prayer was number 12 for me. :)

Deja Vu didn't rank but its a great song.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:48:01 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #815 on: June 23, 2022, 04:30:00 AM »
I had No Prayer for the Dying at #61 and it could have been higher. Great track!

Deja Vu didn’t rank for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #816 on: June 23, 2022, 04:50:23 AM »
My rankings of the latest 2 songs:

No Prayer for the Dying: #6. As with Rainmaker on the previous update I think this is such a cool melodic song with great use of keyboards (reminds me a bit of my favourite metal band Children of Bodom). When Maiden keep things brief they often produce gems. I love the reunion era but there are only 8 songs under 5 minutes spread across all 6 albums, and I wish they'd write a bit more in this vein.

Deja-Vu: unranked. Just missed the cut, and the only song on Somewhere In Time to do that.

My list so far in descending order:

#54: Can I Play With Madness?
#41: Rainmaker
#6: No Prayer for the Dying

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: June 23, 2022, 05:07:44 AM »
152 No Prayer for the Dying - better than where it landed in my rankings, much better. A very good Maiden track and probably worthy of being in the top 100.

137 Deja-Vu - I am twitching at having to use Maiden's formatting of déjà vu but what can you do? Anyway, it's a pretty good track although the weakest on Somewhere in Time and by some distance.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #818 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:40 AM »
Here are today's songs:

67 Judas Be My Guide
Appeared on 12 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (wolfking)

Cool intro, but seems pretty average after that to me.  The chorus is kinda catchy, I suppose.

66 Heaven Can Wait
Highest Ranking: 7 (Dream Team)

This dropped for me over time, landing at 70.  I think it is really good, but the main hook (when Bruce sings the titular line) is kinda weird.  With a stronger line there melodically, this could have been a top song as the rest of the song is pretty damn great.

65 These Colours Don’t Run
Highest Ranking: 10 (DTA)

Ah yes, another good one from A Matter of Life and Death.  I had it at 55.  That melodic guitar lead that comes in later in the intro is tremendous, and the entire instrumental section is money.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: June 23, 2022, 05:21:36 AM »
Judas Be My Guide: I thought I was going to be the one who had it the highest, but I have it at #8. Such a great song, love it.

Heaven Can Wait: Not the best song from that album, but definitely a great one. #47 for me.

These Colours Don't Run: Didn't rank for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #820 on: June 23, 2022, 05:31:16 AM »
3 out of 3 for me with this new update:

Judas Be My Guide: #52.

Heaven Can Waaaaaaiiit: #22

These Colours Don't Run: #56

My list so far in descending order:

#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness?
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#41: Rainmaker
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#6: No Prayer for the Dying

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #821 on: June 23, 2022, 05:36:23 AM »
Here are today's songs:

67 Judas Be My Guide

66 Heaven Can Wait

Judas Be My Guide didn’t make the list. I don’t see the appeal in it, but many do so good for them. Still probably in the better half of Fear of the Dark tracks though.

Heaven Can Wait landed at number 43. Great song, great hooks, can’t say this one doesn’t get stuck in my head pretty much every time I hear it.

I’m surprised that These Colours Don’t Run isn’t on my list, it’s great. This fell at 78 on my second list, and I reckon that’s where it would probably fall on my main list. It’s a banger!

Out of these so far I’ve had Celts, Madness, Rainmaker and Heaven Can Wait, only 4 out of the first 10. Interested to see how this will play out.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #822 on: June 23, 2022, 05:59:51 AM »

67 Judas Be My Guide

66 Heaven Can Wait

Another three good ones today.

Judas Be My Guide - ranked 44 for me. This is my favourite and top ranking song on Fear of the Dark, just a great song all round. Great verse and chorus melodies, great intro and great guitar work. What more do you need.

Heaven Can Wait - unranked by me. After Deja Vu appeared yesterday, many were saying it is the weakest track on Somewhere in Time, well for me Heaven Can Wait is the weakest track by far. I ranked every other song on the album bar this one and Deja Vu (at 38 for me) is the lowest ranked. Not a fan at all of the chorus, actually prefer how Bruce does it live with the crowd participation. The verses are also a bit of a mess for me vocally. The instrumental section and the 'woh woh woh woh' part is awesome though.

These Colours Don't Run - ranked 56 for me. This is a big song which I could have easily ranked higher and I actually thought it may have placed higher than this overall.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #823 on: June 23, 2022, 06:46:21 AM »
Kev, awesome to see you're loving SiT! I had Deja-Vu ranked higher than most I'm sure, even though it's second to last on that album ahead of TLOTLDR.

Heaven Can Wait: Yup, always loved this song from the beginning. Great intro, riffs, solos, drumming, awesome bridge section, and I'll never understand how 6 seconds of a chorus will ruin a 7 and a half minute song for some people.

These Colours Don't Run: One of the better ones for me from AMOLAD; I love that instrumental section.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #824 on: June 23, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
Coming in a bit late here but...

No Prayer I had at #56 which too low what a fantastic song and killer it's getting the praise here it deserves!

Deja Vu had at #44 hard to explain it but on the surface it feels filler but it's an absolute immense track and one I can't just listen to once.

Judas My Guide Oh man the love for this one is just awesome to see hugely underrated Maiden song I (quite appropriately) had at #13 my highest ranked of NPFTD and is the highest placing of any my ranked songs so far :metal

Heaven Can Wait All the way back at #73 which is low sure but it's not a personal fave as such but HAD to be on my list somewhere ;)

These Colours Don't Run Killer track I had at #25 for a long time was my favorite of AMOLAD and is my highest ranked song of that album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #825 on: June 23, 2022, 07:17:27 AM »
NPFTD: #73 - Very good song on a not great album.   Probably could have given this more love, but I do have a couple songs from this record higher, so there's that.

Deja Vu: #61 - I had this ranked as my second favorite song from the record, but that's a sort of misleading.  The record is far better than the sum of it's parts.  I find I LOVE listening to the ALBUM, but it's not like I go for "this" song or "that" song, so it is sadly under-represented here on this list.

Judas Be My Guide: #127  - A song I liked on the relisten, but every time I went back to refresh, it fell a little bit.  A victim of numbers, frankly.    A good song for a band that has too many GREAT songs.

Heaven Can Wait: #99 - The first song hurt by the "versions" out there; I like the studio version, but some of the later live versions annoy the crap out of me.  Bruce is a metal god to me, but his "Heaven Can?..... Heaven Can???" singing of the chorus absolutely ruins the song for me, and so it suffered here.

These Colors Don't Run: #116: - I think similar to Dave, AMOLAD is growing on me, but it IS a very... let's say "consistent" album, and there are better examples of it's greatness.   I think these last three songs tell us how deep the Maiden catalogue really is.  We're 115, 125 songs in and still talking about very good tunes.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: June 23, 2022, 08:07:25 AM »
104 Judas Be My Guide - it's perfectly fine but very much a b-side in Maiden's short rocker category.

32 Heaven Can Wait - one of Maiden's signature tunes. I always enjoy the live version, can't recall which official release it's from (might be Donington?) where Bruce comments on the number of people who've ended up on the stage for the singalong!

61 These Colours Don't Run - think I might have ranked this about 20 or 30 places higher than I should have :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #827 on: June 23, 2022, 08:15:40 AM »
No Prayer for the Dying (#17) - The best song from an album that I see as very underrated, although sure it was a step backwards at the time, specially the production values. The entire song is great, but the solo section is really something.

Deja-Vu (#23) - One of many amazing song from SIT, it has that uplifting vibe from many of Murray's songs and I totally love that short chorus. The guitar solo is also very good and interesting since I believe that is one of the few in Maiden's discography only made by the guitars in unison.

Judas Be My guide (#29) - So this the champion of the catchiest Murray's songs. All the solos through it are vibrant. Really amazing, I never get tired of hearing it!

Heaven Can Wait (-) - It has a lot of great sections, but the chorus is a tad boring.

These Colors Don't Run (-) - I love the middle instrumental section, but not much the whole song. Its beginning is not very interesting also IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #828 on: June 23, 2022, 09:54:12 AM »
#146 No Prayer for the Dying - damn, this feels like a mistake, but I just briefed over my list and I don't see something I'd bump down to have NPFTD a little higher. It's good compared to most of the album, it's decent overall and I have to agree that it resembles Infinite Dreams. The tortured vocals are what really brings this song alive. On a better day maybe, it would end up higher. But something has to finish low right?

#70 Deja-Vu - kind of a similar story to Can I Play With Madness: SiT used to be my favourite album, but recently I really haven't been feeling it so the songs dropped pretty hard. Deja Vu however has usually been the weakest of the bunch so it wasn't affected too much anyways. Fun and energetic song. The vocals during the verses are kinda uncanny valley, I don't know what that effect is but I never liked them.

#116 Judas Be My Guide - like NPFTD, this is a great song from an okay album. Short and sweet, actually one of the shortest IM songs ever. And yet it always felt so much bigger than so many other songs that surpass it in length. The bridge and chorus are classic.

#87 Heaven Can Wait - THE oh-oh-oh section! Great song from SiT, and the bridge really makes it. The elephant in the room I think is the repetitive chorus.

#75 These Colours Don't Run - AMOLAD is a stellar album and this just happens to be one of the weaker tracks on it. Love practically everything about it, but the instrumental section is really something else. I feel like this is one of the most representative post-reunion songs, it's just very solid.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #829 on: June 23, 2022, 10:10:38 AM »
I did not have Judas Be My Guide

Heaven Can Wait was my #28
The 2008 tour was the first (and so far only) Maiden tour I saw. The ‘Somewhere Back in Time’ tour where they played lots of stuff from the 80’s. My scores reflect that a little bit with the songs they played having a place on my list somewhere. I like this one.

These Colours Don’t Run was my #46
Again, like with the previous AMOLAD song, this album is kind of special to me because it was the first ‘new’ Maiden album I got. This is a great tune indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pg1067

« Reply #830 on: June 23, 2022, 10:13:39 AM »

This was unranked for me.  Probably the best song from the album of the same name, but much of that album was a miss for me, so not a super high bar to clear.  Some really tasty guitar work in this one, though, for sure, and the chaotic nature of the instrumental section is pretty sweet.

68 Déjà Vu

This would have been unranked for me six weeks ago, but I am liking it more and more, and it landed at 62 once I locked in my picks.  My 2nd least favorite song from what has become my favorite record by the Maiden, and you know an album is pretty darn good when the 2nd least best song is this good.

This is my day!

I had No Prayer at #69!  It's a better song than it gets credit for - especially the instrumental section.  In retrospect, I should've had it higher.

Deja Vu is a total banger!  It reminds me a lot of Sun and Steel (which I also expect to be the top ranker on).  Absolutely love the guitar tone.  The prechorus is excellent, and even the repetitive chorus is catchy.  I go back and forth between DV and Alexander as my favorite on SIT.

67 Judas Be My Guide

Cool intro, but seems pretty average after that to me.  The chorus is kinda catchy, I suppose.

66 Heaven Can Wait

This dropped for me over time, landing at 70.  I think it is really good, but the main hook (when Bruce sings the titular line) is kinda weird.  With a stronger line there melodically, this could have been a top song as the rest of the song is pretty damn great.

Ah yes, another good one from A Matter of Life and Death.  I had it at 55.  That melodic guitar lead that comes in later in the intro is tremendous, and the entire instrumental section is money.

These Colours is a song I wasn't all that familiar with going in, but it snuck all the way up to #55 for me (again, I didn't pay careful attention to songs 51-75).

Heaven Can Wait was a strong #42 for me.  Yeah, I know the chorus is repetitive and the whoa-whoa-whoa section kinda blows, but the rest of the song is excellent (really like the "take my hand" section).

Judas Be My Guide is another NPFTD song that got lost in the shuffle on a relatively mediocre album, but it's really quite good.  I had it at #68, but it probably should've been higher.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #831 on: June 23, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
Eh, I think he has a bad voice no matter what band he is in.  He sounds like he should be singing for some crappy bar band doing AC/DC covers at the tavern down the street.

:lol I wonder who was Maidens second choice after Blaze? Danzig?   :lol

Supposedly it was Doogie White, who ended up joining the '95 version of Rainbow after Maiden chose Blaze.

Doogie is amazing, that would have been epic. They dropped the ball on that one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #832 on: June 23, 2022, 11:51:34 AM »
67 Judas Be My Guide

66 Heaven Can Wait

I had Judas Be My Guide at #62. I think it's perfectly placed on the back part of the album because Fear Of The Dark is pretty bleak, and Judas is such an uplifting track musically.

I had Heaven Can Wait at #48. Of all of the songs in their catalog, this one has aged the best. I was never crazy about it, and could never understand why they kept it in the setlist for so long. Maybe it was a track that Steve thought Blaze could do a decent job on.

I had These Colours Don't Run as Not Rated. It wasn't one of the 106 tracks I nominated for the countdown. It's a cool song. I don't not like it, but there are just so many better tracks on ALOLAD.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #833 on: June 23, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
Here are today's songs:

67 Judas Be My Guide

66 Heaven Can Wait

Judas My Guide - did not rank

As I went back on my deep dive these last few weeks, I had my eye on this one because of all the rave reviews it was getting (sometimes those things sway me like it did with a couple of NPFTD and VXI tracks) but on this one I just wasn’t feeling it. The chorus is ok, but I would pretty much just describe the song as “ok”. I agree with the earlier assessment that it sounds like a b-side

Heaven Can Wait - 40

Great tune! When the album first came out I thought it was a bit too repetitive, but after hearing some live versions and then going back to revisit the album, the song really grew on me and now I think it’s one of the better tracks from the album.

These Colors Don’t Run - 21

If I were trying to re-introduce someone to Iron Maiden‘s reunion phase, this would be one of the first tracks I would show them. Great riff, great emotion, just a fantastic song all the way around. One of the best from the reunion era!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #834 on: June 23, 2022, 12:03:25 PM »
Heaven Can Wait - 40

Great tune! When the album first came out I thought it was a bit too repetitive, but after hearing some live versions and then going back to revisit the album, the song really grew on me and now I think it’s one of the better tracks from the album.

I only have one other song from the album ranked ahead of it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #835 on: June 23, 2022, 12:21:51 PM »
Heaven Can Wait - 40

I only have one other song from the album ranked ahead of it.

I’ve got two in front of it. And my top rated SIT track would probably raise some eyebrows. But at this point, I’m not even sure it’s going to make the final list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #836 on: June 23, 2022, 02:37:21 PM »
67. Judas Be My Guide

This is a good song, but it's one of those where they have a lot of better ones. Everything is where it needs to be in terms of the vocal melodies, riffs, leads, Dave's solos (especially the opening one), but it's a fairly straightforward song without anything special that makes it incredibly good or incredibly interesting in my book.

Opinion on this one has kind of come full circle for me. I didn't pay much attention to it much when I first got into Maiden, then I started seeing it mentioned as one of their most underrated songs and came to enjoy it a lot more and agree with that opinion, but now I've seen so much talk about it being underrated that I now think it's kind of overrated within a certain circle of fans. I'm also skeptical that it would fare as well for me if it was on a better album.

66. Heaven Can Wait

I would put this toward the higher end of the 101-125 range, whereas Judas Be My Guide would be toward the lower end.

I agree with Kev that the main drawback of this song is the chorus. I just don't think the repeated "Heaven can waaaaaiiiiiit" line works that well. I think I actually like it better the way Bruce handles it live, where he varies the delivery of each repetition and relies on the crowd to sing "wait," but I also think the fact he does it that way implies that he can't even sing the original version live, which really makes me wonder what the decision-making was there.

That said, everything else on this song is really good. The build-up in the intro is excellent and the main riff is really memorable. I actually enjoy the "whoa oh oh" part. And the verses are cool, too, with an interesting rhythm to them. This song also contains further proof that Somewhere in Time is the Adrian Smith album, in the form of his excellent solo.

65. These Colours Don't Run
My ranking: #59

Seeing both Breeg and Colours on the list gives me some optimism about AMOLAD representation here...

I really like this song. It's not the flashiest or most ambitious song on the album, but it's rock solid. I like the topic covered in the lyrics, and I think the song conveys the meaning really well. The intro and the instrumental section are absolutely the highlights here, both featuring some interesting melodies and conveying a feeling of suspense. Dave has a good solo, but as usual Adrian is the show-stealer. I also really like the verses. The flow of the lines there just works really well with the lyrics, I think, in a way that's hard to precisely quantify.

My list so far (4/11):
63. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
59. These Colours Don't Run
48. Death of the Celts
43. Out of the Silent Planet

I promise I have some non-reunion songs on my list! They just haven't come up yet!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #837 on: June 23, 2022, 02:55:03 PM »
69 No Prayer for the Dying - 58
Decent song on a decent album. I always gravitated to the opening melody of the song. Not sure why, but I've always had a weird association between this song and Infinite Dreams. Dunno why.

68 Déjà Vu - 26
An underrated track that I've grown to love more over the years. High energy and it's got a great hook. On SiT, it ranks as my 6th favorite track, so the fact that it still ended up at #26 says something!

67 Judas Be My Guide - did not rank

Heaven Can Wait - did not rank
In hindsight, I probably could have included it in my top 75. It's the only one of the SiT tracks not to make my list, and IMO it is the weakest of the songs on the album (not to mention overplayed for many years). Personally I don't mind the whoah section and the solos are great. Biggest issue is with the chorus which is both repetitive and cheesy.

These Colours Don’t Run - did not rank
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #838 on: June 23, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »
I have some catching up to do so here is where mine ranked with the consensus.

#75 Death of The Celts - (#44)

It's a song I enjoy from Senjutsu. I like the intro and the instrumental middle part. I wouldn't mind seeing it live.

#74 The Duellists - (Did Not Rank)

I enjoy the energy and the vocals, and also the rhythm of the melodies. It would be neat to hear this one live sometime.

#73 Can I Play With Madness - (#49)

This reminds me of being young (along with many other Iron Maiden classic songs) and singing the misheard lyric, "Can I play with matches?" It has a catchy melody there and its fun to sing along live.

#72 Rainmaker - (#72)

This one isn't that bad either, but it's one that is just there for me. Like, I forget about it, but then when it plays on shuffle I still listen to it and enjoy it. Hilarious how this is the song to match the overall ranking as well.

#71 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - (#75)

Well, this one ranked lower for me. I've been forgetting about this song recently, even though I enjoy A Matter of Life and Death. I think it was a great song live.

#70 Out of The Silent Planet - (Did Not Rank)

I don't know. I have Brave New World, but I could just never get into this song for some strange reason. I know I should enjoy it, but don't know why...Maybe because I could hear other bands covering this song and doing an even better job at making the song be more than what it is. This one has a chance to move up in my rankings though.

#69 No Prayer For The Dying - (Did Not Rank)

This isn't a bad song. But the album could've been way, way better received if it would've had better production. This song would be one of those. I think it would be a great song to hear live though.

#68 Deja Vu - (Did Not Rank)

This is another song that has a good chance of ranking up higher than many of these on my list. Somewhere In Time I would say is the least Maiden album I have listened to. Not saying it's bad or anything, it's one I never bothered to check out much at all. I like the guitar tone on this song, and the production vibes well with this song.

#67 Judas Be My Guide - (#20)

I really am finding myself enjoying Fear of The Dark as an album a lot. The mix isn't too bad, and the vibe of the production fits that album cover. This song is a great short and sweet song, I consider it up there with Run to the Hills and Aces High. Shame it hasn't been played live or was a single.

#66 Heaven Can Wait - (Did Not Rank)

It's a great song. Just never heard it as much and there were other songs I enjoyed more while doing the rankings. It, among the others, will be up higher. It's in the top 100 at least.

#65 These Colours Don't Run - (Did Not Rank)

I like the lyrics to the song. It's a song that is just there though. I'll still listen to it, but won't go out of my way to listen to it, unless I am in the mood for it. The best part of the song for me is the middle section, I like the way the guitar tone sounds and the build-up into the guitar solo.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Realm

« Reply #839 on: June 23, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »

Heaven Can Wait: Yup, always loved this song from the beginning. Great intro, riffs, solos, drumming, awesome bridge section, and I'll never understand how 6 seconds of a chorus will ruin a 7 and a half minute song for some people.

And some people also like Blaze's vocals, so sometimes it is just hard to understand how people think....