Author Topic: What is the most recent classic riff?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: What is the most recent classic riff?
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
To Live is To Die is one if the most boring tracks ever :lol

To Live Is To Die is incredible. Honestly it's quite easily my favorite Metallica song.

The middle section is beautiful.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
To Live is To Die is one if the most boring tracks ever :lol

Eh, i sorta agree. While AJFA is my favorite Metallica album, i used to skip To Live is To Die.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Calvin6s

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2015, 02:47:23 AM »
what are you talking about? i understand if you don't like him, but that doesn't mean that he can't play.

If you were aware of the White Stripes when this was their single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=kiEoxktOoHg

Then you could understand that he didn't exactly begin his recording career as even a semi-competent guitar player.  My first thought when this was getting radio airplay was it wasn't even garage band level.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »
what are you talking about? i understand if you don't like him, but that doesn't mean that he can't play.

If you were aware of the White Stripes when this was their single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=kiEoxktOoHg

Then you could understand that he didn't exactly begin his recording career as even a semi-competent guitar player.  My first thought when this was getting radio airplay was it wasn't even garage band level.

I'm no White Stripe fan at all by they we going for a distinct sound that you and I may not like but he was not incompetent as a guitarist.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
:lol that clip

Really fuckin sucks that people like me actually practice and learn their craft for years and years and years and try to write interesting original songs and nobody gives a flying shit - -  and pricks like that

can BARELY play and get super famous playing the most generic half assed unoriginal shit imaginable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
the most generic half assed unoriginal shit imaginable...

...is unfortunately what sells nowadays.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »
Itchy forehead ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »

Also, another one: "Rhythm is a Dancer".

With the memorable line " I'm serious as Cancer when I say Rhythm Is A Dancer "
:lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
Jack White isn't exactly an incapable guitarist. Meg White on the drums though, that's another story.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Calvin6s

« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:24 PM »
I'm not a White Stripes fan, so media play is my only real impression of them.  I'm just saying the song I linked was the first impression of White Stripes for many people and it created a "this band isn't the greatest guitarist/drummer" feel that will be hard to break, first impressions and all.  He's obviously become much better.

And yes, the drums were the worst part.  And as anybody that has played in a band will tell you, a sucky drummer makes the entire band sound bad.

Never made a comment on whether or not the White Stripes songs were "worthy".  That's an entirely different subject.  There are very few songs that I would ever feel are universally bad (can't even name one in my head right now).  Otherwise, they just simply *aren't my cup of tea*.  I got over the "but I hone my craft, so this isn't fair" stigma decades ago.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:48:02 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Itchy forehead ?

I don't care for White Stripes or Jack White neither but that comment was... ah, nevermind.

Also, another one: "Rhythm is a Dancer".

With the memorable line " I'm serious as Cancer when I say Rhythm Is A Dancer "

Yeah but we're talking about the riffs  :lol
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:07:26 PM by Outcrier »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
I'm not sure if you could call R U Mine? by Arctic Monkeys a classic riff, but it's a very well known recent song with a cool riff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
^ I'd say 'Do I Wanna Know?' is better known.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »
There's Brianstorm too but i guess it isn't more well know than these two you guys mentioned.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2015, 10:17:21 PM »
the most generic half assed unoriginal shit imaginable...

...is unfortunately what sells nowadays.

Life isn't fair.  When I think of the level of my education and add that it is in a field that most people find very difficult and then look at my salary - it's pretty disheartening.  You can't let it get to you.  Someone is always going to luck/fuck/suck/muck their way above their talent level.

But this thread isn't about that...it's about what riffs have gotten famous in the last 25 years or so, and why there seem to be a lot more famous ones from 1970-1990 than the 25 years since then; or if that is just a skewed perception.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »

Really fuckin sucks that people like me actually practice and learn their craft for years and years and years and try to write interesting original songs and nobody gives a flying shit - -  and pricks like that

can BARELY play and get super famous playing the most generic half assed unoriginal shit imaginable.

it must be so hard for you. i'm so sorry.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2015, 01:52:10 AM »

I've heard people call the White Stripes many different things, but unoriginal was never one of them.  They were probably one of the most unique acts popular music ever saw. 

There are so many bands/musicians whose virtuosity works against them.  TWS were primal, simple and powerful and that's why they connected with people.  Most casual music listeners don't want wank, they wants tunes, motherfucker. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2015, 04:29:49 AM »

Heaven Forbid someone who gets paid a shit load of money could actually be any good at his instrument..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »

Heaven Forbid someone who gets paid a shit load of money could actually be any good at his instrument..

Sour grapes are very unappetizing. 

I'm not sure where you are going with that comment, but there are countless musicians that are "any good" at their instrument AND get paid a shit load of money.  Sir Paul McCartney.  The Edge.   James Hetfield.   David Gilmour.  I'm sure many will disagree, but generally speaking, the cream rises to the surface.

I'm no White Stripes fan (at all) and I think they are a bad example here because they (like the Black Keys, in my opinion) have a critical following, which in turn means they have a fairly sizable hipster crowd, but as much as we want to malign White's guitar playing, the guy IS a talent.  His work in music, generally, is not to be disregarded. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

That said, I have to agree with that ranking too, pretty much. Orion has been played out for me. I have a blu ray of a Copenhagen show where they play S&R for the first time, they just kill it. So nasty. Been my favorite ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdHnuee6b1c

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »

he is good tho. u just don't like him, which is fine, but it doesn't mean that he sucks.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
Speaking of the White Stripes, I did a big music swap with my bro this week, and finally have my hands on the likes of White Blood Cells, Elephant and Icky Thump. I've heard the first two albums quite a lot, though not for a number of years.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:46 AM »
Speaking of the White Stripes, I did a big music swap with my bro this week, and finally have my hands on the likes of White Blood Cells, Elephant and Icky Thump. I've heard the first two albums quite a lot, though not for a number of years.

All great albums, albeit with their fair share of filler like most Stripes.  De Stijl is probably still my favourite though.  Tied with Get Behind Me Satan.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
get behind me satan? weird. i love that album, but most people don't say it's their fav.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
get behind me satan? weird. i love that album, but most people don't say it's their fav.

yeah, its definitely a grower.  Red Rain and Blue Orchid are classics, and I quite dig the marimba all over the place.