Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 59301 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2022, 10:44:11 PM »
EB those are great shots!  You took those?  Wow.

Beautiful places.  Very zen.  I can almost imagine the sound. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2022, 05:25:21 AM »
Gorgeous shots!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline faizoff

« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2022, 06:05:58 AM »
Those are Seriously Cool Pictures El Barto!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #423 on: June 29, 2022, 08:13:45 AM »
Great pics Bart. My parents took us up there when we were kids. Busted out the Triptiks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2022, 08:20:10 AM »
I see the lines in the rocks and think about how many centuries span to those rocks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2022, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks, guys, but seriously the scenery and the camera did all the work. When you find places that beautiful it's hard to not take good pictures.

Fillmore Glen really was awesome. It's one of those places that nobody knows about, and I actually blundered into it completely by accident. It's a nice hiking trail that's pretty much a mile and a half of those pictures. At one point I was taking a picture of a different waterfall and when I turned around it was pouring down leaves. It looked like a snowstorm, but with yellow leaves instead of white snow. Sadly, pictures couldn't really capture it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2022, 08:28:13 AM »
I hope if you haven't already that you get them printed and framed for your abode.  As a fellow amateur photographer (who was definitely better at film than digital because I'm old) there are few things more satisfying than to see your work displayed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2022, 08:47:59 AM »
Speaking of Chicago...

I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks for a work conference.  I've flown through Chicago previously but have never been in the city.

I just got tickets to the Cubs game on July 14, so that night is spoken for, but I'll have the evening of July 13 (after arriving at O'Hare and making my way to the hotel) and most of the afternoon and evening on July 15.  The conference and my hotel are near the intersection of Wabash Av. and Monroe St.  I'm basically planning on going straight from the conference to Wrigley Field and partaking of some Chicago dogs.  So...here are my questions:

- Anywhere in particular I should go for a dog at or near Wrigley?  Or is it a "you can't go wrong wherever you go" kind of thing?

- Anything I should know about Wrigley Field itself?

- It looks like I can take the L (El?) from the Monroe station to Wrigley Field and back.  I'm pretty comfortable with trains/subways and generally prefer those when traveling to places like NY, Boston and DC.  Any reason I shouldn't take the L?

- Places to eat near my hotel?  I'm mostly looking for burgers, steak and/or BBQ, and it needs to be a place I can go solo since I almost certainly will be.  A place called Smoque was recommended for BBQ, and it looks like that's pretty near the hotel.

- Any must see places nearby?  Looks like the Sears Tower is really close.  I won't have a car and don't want to stray too far since I'll only have one afternoon/evening for this sort of thing.

You're not far from the Palmer House; there's a restaurant right next door/around the corner - I'll try to find the name - that is something you'd picture Sinatra eating at in 1964.  I LOVE it, and go there whenever I'm in town, though I haven't been there since 2015 or so.  I'm looking on the map now and I don't see it, but it was under the Loop.

As for Wrigley, it's like Fenway, in that it's right in the neighborhood.  There's a bar - I think it's called "Murphy's", don't quote me - that is literally through a garage door in the stadium.  There are also a number of placed right across the street in the area.  Getting a good Chicago dog should not be a major endeavor at all. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2022, 08:50:16 AM »
I hope if you haven't already that you get them printed and framed for your abode.  As a fellow amateur photographer (who was definitely better at film than digital because I'm old) there are few things more satisfying than to see your work displayed.
I learned with film, but I wouldn't go back to change my life. When you only had 24 exposures, and you had to pay $12 to see how they turned out, every one needed to be perfect (and I certainly nailed a few). The pictures I posted were 4 of 400, fired in 3-shot bursts with an endless array of tweaks between them. I apply the exact same adjustments to my DLSR that I would with my old Olympus. It's the ability to experiment and pick the best of the lot makes all the difference.

And scenic pictures aren't really my thing when it comes to home decor.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2022, 08:55:12 AM »
I learned with film, but I wouldn't go back to change my life. When you only had 24 exposures, and you had to pay $12 to see how they turned out, every one needed to be perfect (and I certainly nailed a few). The pictures I posted were 4 of 400, fired in 3-shot bursts with an endless array of tweaks between them. I apply the exact same adjustments to my DLSR that I would with my old Olympus. It's the ability to experiment and pick the best of the lot makes all the difference.

And scenic pictures aren't really my thing when it comes to home decor.  :lol

Back in the day, I had access to a dark room, so it was less expensive.  I totally get the ease of digital, I just haven't taken the time to learn all the ways to use it when it comes to photo editing.  Maybe after I retire...

There is a joke in here somewhere about a preference for black velvet art or dogs playing poker but I can't quite get it right.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2022, 09:11:30 AM »
Those are some cool pics.  I've never gotten into photography before.  I'm usually content with the phone pictures these days, but a DSLR camera and a good eye can do wonders for taking an amazing photograph.  Maybe one day I will dive in. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2022, 09:12:17 AM »
Speaking of Chicago...

I'm going to Chicago in a few weeks for a work conference.  I've flown through Chicago previously but have never been in the city.

I just got tickets to the Cubs game on July 14, so that night is spoken for, but I'll have the evening of July 13 (after arriving at O'Hare and making my way to the hotel) and most of the afternoon and evening on July 15.  The conference and my hotel are near the intersection of Wabash Av. and Monroe St.  I'm basically planning on going straight from the conference to Wrigley Field and partaking of some Chicago dogs.  So...here are my questions:

- Anywhere in particular I should go for a dog at or near Wrigley?  Or is it a "you can't go wrong wherever you go" kind of thing?

- It looks like I can take the L (El?) from the Monroe station to Wrigley Field and back.  I'm pretty comfortable with trains/subways and generally prefer those when traveling to places like NY, Boston and DC.  Any reason I shouldn't take the L?

- Places to eat near my hotel?  I'm mostly looking for burgers, steak and/or BBQ, and it needs to be a place I can go solo since I almost certainly will be.  A place called Smoque was recommended for BBQ, and it looks like that's pretty near the hotel.

- Any must see places nearby?  Looks like the Sears Tower is really close.  I won't have a car and don't want to stray too far since I'll only have one afternoon/evening for this sort of thing.

You're not far from the Palmer House; there's a restaurant right next door/around the corner - I'll try to find the name - that is something you'd picture Sinatra eating at in 1964.  I LOVE it, and go there whenever I'm in town, though I haven't been there since 2015 or so.  I'm looking on the map now and I don't see it, but it was under the Loop.

As for Wrigley, it's like Fenway, in that it's right in the neighborhood.  There's a bar - I think it's called "Murphy's", don't quote me - that is literally through a garage door in the stadium.  There are also a number of placed right across the street in the area.  Getting a good Chicago dog should not be a major endeavor at all.

May I add from Spence, that his go to for deep dish is Lou Malnottis.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »
Speaking of Chicago...

Indeed, I won't be far at all.  I'm staying at Palmer House (which appears to be in "The Loop").  Looks like there are a bunch of places very close by, so I probably can't go wrong with that either.

Well...don't kill me, but I think Chicago style pizza is pretty foul.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2022, 09:27:46 AM »
Hey, to each his or her own. My gut tells all that I like all pizzas. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2022, 09:34:08 AM »

This.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2022, 09:46:55 AM »
Speaking of Chicago...

Indeed, I won't be far at all.  I'm staying at Palmer House (which appears to be in "The Loop").  Looks like there are a bunch of places very close by, so I probably can't go wrong with that either.

Well...don't kill me, but I think Chicago style pizza is pretty foul.

So if memory serves, if you're standing at the reception desk, looking across at the bar in the lobby, go out the doors to your right, and take a right.  The restaurant I'm thinking of is down on the right, on that block. I can't remember if you cross any streets, or if you take another right at the corner.  The consierge ought to help you.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »

This.

For me Pizza is Pizza, and I love it all (almost) but I definitely think deep dish is overrated. I won't mind eating it but if I'm starving, I'm not waiting 30 mins for a deep dish pizza to be made.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »
Deep dish pizza, or casserole as I see it, is crap. And at the same time tavern style pizza goes completely under the radar there. I'm not a huge fan of that, either, but at least it qualifies as pizza rather than soup.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
I've only had deep dish a few times (funny enough never while visiting family in Chicago) but it was awful. It was really heavy on the sauce and tasted what a casserole tastes like

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
Are we just labelling Chicago pizza as deep dish? The typical deep dish pizza here is nothing like chicago style pizza.  I've actually never had a true Chicago pizza, but judging by the looks of it, I'd probably rank it fairly low.  I would love to try it one day.  I'd probably still like it though because generally i just like all pizzas.  The local deep dish style here is really good too, but it's not my usual choice more of a switch things up type of pizza. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
I have. It's great. I wouldn't have it all the time but I definitely like it

Offline pg1067

« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »
So if memory serves, if you're standing at the reception desk, looking across at the bar in the lobby, go out the doors to your right, and take a right.  The restaurant I'm thinking of is down on the right, on that block. I can't remember if you cross any streets, or if you take another right at the corner.  The consierge ought to help you.

Judging from Google Maps, that could be Miller's Pub or Exchequer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2022, 12:21:51 PM »
Are we just labelling Chicago pizza as deep dish? The typical deep dish pizza here is nothing like chicago style pizza.  I've actually never had a true Chicago pizza, but judging by the looks of it, I'd probably rank it fairly low.  I would love to try it one day.  I'd probably still like it though because generally i just like all pizzas.  The local deep dish style here is really good too, but it's not my usual choice more of a switch things up type of pizza.
As I see it, Chicago is known for two styles of pizza. Deep dish and tavern style (super thin crust). Beyond that, Chicago has its own style of deep dish pizza, aside from the deep dish seen elsewhere. From what I've seen, and had down here, their style kind of sucks ass.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2022, 02:13:11 PM »
What's the city that's known for the sauce on top of the pizza?  I saw it on TV but I can't remember where.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
What's the city that's known for the sauce on top of the pizza?  I saw it on TV but I can't remember where.

Chicago deep dish has sauce on top.

Love Chicago. Lived there for two years. Hate their pizza. Glad I live in NYC now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
What Detroit has is basically fancy cheesy bread.   

Come to CT if you want the best pizza.

I will die on this hill!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2022, 02:55:05 PM »
Chino - only a couple of those delicious looking pies appears to have sauce.  Is that typical for your area.

Also, where is the Homer drooling emoticon?   :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2022, 02:58:46 PM »
Chino - only a couple of those delicious looking pies appears to have sauce.  Is that typical for your area.

They all have sauce. Only two and a half of them appear to have tomato sauce, though, thus disqualifying the others in my book.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2022, 03:02:27 PM »
Those pizzas all look good, but brick oven pizzas are not the best over a typical NYC slice IMO.  I don't think CT pizza generally is as good as NYC or even NJ.  It's a big reason why I don't care for Dave Portnoy's pizza reviews. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2022, 03:04:18 PM »

Chicago deep dish has sauce on top.

Love Chicago. Lived there for two years. Hate their pizza. Glad I live in NYC now.

It's Detroit style pizza.  I just figured it out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2022, 09:20:18 PM »

Obvious emote is obvious - just not Homer.

:drool:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #451 on: June 29, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »

Hey - that emoji isn't available in the group of emojis I see on my screen.   What level do I need to achieve to have access to the secret DT emoji list?  :hat

But that ain't Homer.   :laugh:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #452 on: June 30, 2022, 05:11:15 AM »

Hey - that emoji isn't available in the group of emojis I see on my screen.   What level do I need to achieve to have access to the secret DT emoji list?  :hat

You just need the right code... :RJ:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 30, 2022, 05:19:26 AM »

You just need the right code... :RJ:

@ Harmony ... You're right, there's only a few dozen in the reply screen.  However, there's rumoured to be about 800 "hidden" emots.  You get to learn them - or if one is anal like me, keep a spreadsheet of them once discovered.  I seem to recall there's a thread somewhere that lists a bunch of them that people have found.

And RJ... use the right one :cheffypoo: 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: June 30, 2022, 06:13:24 AM »
is....is that eggs on a Pizza? :|
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk