Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 121692 times)

jingle.boy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3255 on: May 07, 2024, 10:15:54 AM »
Yay! Finally I have my special day!!!

Sorry. You seem too happy about it. The day no longer applies to you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3256 on: May 07, 2024, 11:31:05 AM »
Holiday 22: If you want to celebrate it, its not for you. If you don't, it is.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: May 07, 2024, 02:57:12 PM »
I treat my cats as children.  My wife and I tried for a decade to have children.  As well as in vitro 3 times.  We were heartbroken.  The cats have filled a void in our lives.

I'm not judging that in the slightest mate and pleased it managed to fill a hole for you guys.  But I know you both are not the kind to barrack for a parents of pets day to compensate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3258 on: May 07, 2024, 02:59:16 PM »
Phone answering systems where they want you to talk to the robot.   >:(
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3259 on: May 07, 2024, 03:08:50 PM »
Some bigger companies have now made it impossible to speak to a real person. It used to be that if you just shouted "REAL PERSON" at it a few times it'd give up and patch you through, but not anymore. The problem is that the automated systems are fine for the easy stuff, but anything abnormal comes up and they're useless. In the last two months I've run into unsolvable problems with UPS and Walmart with no way to communicate with anybody. 

In the past I always bemoaned calling somewhere and getting a person who's barely English competent. Now I'm thrilled if I can even speak to somebody in Bangladeshi.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3260 on: May 07, 2024, 03:34:19 PM »
I'm not judging that in the slightest mate and pleased it managed to fill a hole for you guys.  But I know you both are not the kind to barrack for a parents of pets day to compensate.

Don't even worry. I get your side. I just love my kitties like children because they fill a void. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: May 07, 2024, 03:35:51 PM »

And you have to call back multiple times bec5you can't navigate the automation. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3262 on: May 07, 2024, 03:52:37 PM »
I called an insurance agent's office because the agent had sent me an email to give her a call.  It asked why I was calling, and I'm like, "uhhh...because you told me to call you."  I ended up in their voice mail system somehow.  Fortunately, somebody there must have been paying attention because they called me.

In the old days, I used to just spam the "0" button to get past the endless phone menus.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3263 on: May 07, 2024, 03:57:06 PM »
One that I'm starting to encounter is an in-bound call where you answer the phone and the robot says, "please wait while we dial the number," and the the person on the other end says, "Hello?" like they didn't just make the call.  >:(
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: May 07, 2024, 03:57:21 PM »
I'm so triggered. Lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3265 on: May 08, 2024, 06:21:03 AM »
One that I'm starting to encounter is an in-bound call where you answer the phone and the robot says, "please wait while we dial the number," and the the person on the other end says, "Hello?" like they didn't just make the call.  >:(

I usually don't get that far.  One, I rarely answer those and if I do, I hang up before I get to the human.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3266 on: May 08, 2024, 06:44:04 AM »
I've been getting this weird robocall where they call me, immediately hang up after one ring, then leave a 50s message about loan reconciliation. Fucking annoying.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3267 on: May 08, 2024, 06:49:58 AM »
I've been getting this weird robocall where they call me, immediately hang up after one ring, then leave a 50s message about loan reconciliation. Fucking annoying.

Sometimes it doesn't even ring. Just bang..I have a voicemail. I actually prefer that. Nothing worse than being interrupted in what I'm doing by some random phone call coming from New Jersey.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3268 on: May 08, 2024, 06:56:57 AM »
Sometimes it doesn't even ring. Just bang..I have a voicemail. I actually prefer that. Nothing worse than being interrupted in what I'm doing by some random phone call coming from New Jersey.

Yea, Jersey ruins everything.

I also prefer it this way. I can just see the first few words of the voicemail transcribed and delete it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3269 on: May 08, 2024, 07:21:08 AM »

Yup, and since my delivery guys have to call me to access my building, I have to answer all calls. Fucking annoying

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: May 08, 2024, 07:35:19 AM »

WHOA!!!! I'm getting those too!!!!  I thought it was just me (I've been dealing with refinancing one of my cars and a student loan I have; I figured it was advanced algorithms or something).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: May 08, 2024, 07:36:30 AM »
Yea, Jersey ruins everything.

I also prefer it this way. I can just see the first few words of the voicemail transcribed and delete it.

One thing that ISN'T exasperating?  The ability to have voicemails transcribed to text.  One of the better inventions of the 21st century.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3272 on: May 08, 2024, 08:58:44 AM »

Ah that explains it, you've been ignoring my calls!

A serious thing I find exasperating, voice mails AT ALL.  We are past that phase in life to leave voice mails IMO.  My voice mail box has been full for the last ten years for a reason.  If you need to leave a message, text me. GTFO with leaving a voice message these days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3273 on: May 08, 2024, 09:28:08 AM »

A serious thing I find exasperating, voice mails AT ALL.  We are past that phase in life to leave voice mails IMO.  My voice mail box has been full for the last ten years for a reason.  If you need to leave a message, text me. GTFO with leaving a voice message these days.
VMs exist for parents who call and don't get you.

I have tried to explain to my Mom that she doesn't need to leave me a VM.  I will see that she called, and I will call her back.  Doesn't matter.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: May 08, 2024, 09:42:58 AM »

I have tried to explain to my Mom that she doesn't need to leave me a VM.  I will see that she called, and I will call her back.  Doesn't matter.

THIS.  My dad passed in June of 2022, and whereas before that I would have to clear out VMs probably once a month, I haven't cleared them ONCE by necessity since then.  NOT ONCE. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3275 on: May 08, 2024, 09:49:47 AM »
THIS.  My dad passed in June of 2022, and whereas before that I would have to clear out VMs probably once a month, I haven't cleared them ONCE by necessity since then.  NOT ONCE.

I have two voicemails from my father that I will never erase. In fact, I emailed them to myself and saved them as files on my computer.

It's been a year and a half, and I still cannot bring myself to listen to them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3276 on: May 08, 2024, 09:55:34 AM »
Ok, literally just had a new variation of the robocall...call came in, caller ID said "Primary Care" so I thought it was Kaiser who usually ID as Kaiser Primary Care I think...I answered since I got some test coming up, and it's a fucking auto loan promo.

Fuckers. >:( :censored

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: May 08, 2024, 10:19:22 AM »

My issue with those who have a full VM or don't set it up is when I'm reaching out to set up an interview.  I find it extremely unprofessional to text someone about a job.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3278 on: May 08, 2024, 10:22:13 AM »
My issue with those who have a full VM or don't set it up is when I'm reaching out to set up an interview.  I find it extremely unprofessional to text someone about a job.

You don't email?  I can see that though.  I haven't really dealt with the job search to know if it's normal to get actual calls or just email/message responses.  I did finally update my linked in / resume though  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3279 on: May 08, 2024, 10:27:17 AM »

I got into a very minor argument with a work colleague/friend about that a month or so ago.  He called when I was away from my desk, but he didn't leave a VM or send me an email or Teams message saying, "call me when you have a minute."  I saw that he had called, but because he didn't leave a VM or otherwise follow up, I ignored it.  A couple days later, he asked if I had seen that he had called and, when I acknowledged I had, he asked why I didn't call him back.  I explained, and he said something like, "so, it's your practice not to return calls unless the caller leaves a message."  I said, yes.  He seemed very surprised about that.

As for robocalls, I very rarely pick up a call from a number I don't recognize.  If I do answer a robocall, it either starts before I pick up or there's a delay that makes it obvious what it is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3280 on: May 08, 2024, 10:54:08 AM »
I got into a very minor argument with a work colleague/friend about that a month or so ago.  He called when I was away from my desk, but he didn't leave a VM or send me an email or Teams message saying, "call me when you have a minute."  I saw that he had called, but because he didn't leave a VM or otherwise follow up, I ignored it.  A couple days later, he asked if I had seen that he had called and, when I acknowledged I had, he asked why I didn't call him back.  I explained, and he said something like, "so, it's your practice not to return calls unless the caller leaves a message."  I said, yes.  He seemed very surprised about that.
I would be surprised as well.  I would assume that a colleague who called wasn't calling just to shoot the shit, so I would call them back.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: May 08, 2024, 11:07:51 AM »
I would be surprised as well.  I would assume that a colleague who called wasn't calling just to shoot the shit, so I would call them back.

A little bit in defense of Paul here, though for slightly different reasons, I had a boss that would get 100's of emails and voicemails a day.   Some - his boss, his direct staff - he would answer as a matter of course. Others... if the email was vague, or poorly worded, or incomplete, he would ignore until the second prompting, on the assumption that "if it's not important enough for you to make the communication clear, it's not important enough for me to response proactively".  He was senior in the organization, so there's that, but there's some wisdom to that.

If someone just calls without a VM, or sends a Teams like "Hi Bill!" with nothing else, there's only about 10 people in my organization, plus/minus, that are getting a response from me proactively. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3282 on: May 08, 2024, 11:11:29 AM »
I feel like if I got a missed call from anyone at work, I'd at least send a text to check in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: May 08, 2024, 11:14:24 AM »
A little bit in defense of Paul here, though for slightly different reasons, I had a boss that would get 100's of emails and voicemails a day.   Some - his boss, his direct staff - he would answer as a matter of course. Others... if the email was vague, or poorly worded, or incomplete, he would ignore until the second prompting, on the assumption that "if it's not important enough for you to make the communication clear, it's not important enough for me to response proactively".  He was senior in the organization, so there's that, but there's some wisdom to that.

If someone just calls without a VM, or sends a Teams like "Hi Bill!" with nothing else, there's only about 10 people in my organization, plus/minus, that are getting a response from me proactively. 

I also, find it exasperating, while at work and someone mentions "HI marc" and nothing else.  STOP.  We are at work, we know you aren't here to chit chat and you need something, spit it out.  I also dont usually respond to those messages until they follow up with their request (but that also depends on how busy I am and who is reaching out). 

Also, work or personal, if I see a missed call, I'll either call or message back.  I dont think I need a VM or follow up message to respond.  But that goes in line with my thoughts on VM not being needed anymore.  A smart phone shows a missed call and from who and when.  THat's enough info for me to get back to someone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: May 08, 2024, 11:30:08 AM »
You don't email?  I can see that though.  I haven't really dealt with the job search to know if it's normal to get actual calls or just email/message responses.  I did finally update my linked in / resume though  :lol

I do but half the time they don't check their emails.  Just a manual labor job.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3285 on: May 08, 2024, 01:06:19 PM »
A smart phone shows a missed call and from who and when.  THat's enough info for me to get back to someone.
Yep, that's what I keep telling my Mom.  To no avail.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3286 on: May 08, 2024, 01:08:33 PM »

My practice is that, if I call someone and get VM, if I want a return call, I'll either leave a VM or send a Teams or email message asking for a call (or explaining what I want).  If I don't do any of those things, it means either that I'll follow up or that it's not important enough for a follow up.  Often, the calls are to find out a piece of information that I can look up on my own but the person I'm calling will know off the top of his/her head, so I don't ask for a call back because, by the time it happens, I'll have looked up the info I need.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3287 on: May 08, 2024, 01:16:49 PM »
I'm one of the 10 people that has a Google phone, and great thing is that it recognizes spam calls and lets me know. Though I wouldn't pick up a number I don't recognize anyways unless I'm expecting a call.

Regarding VM and calling back. At my job, most of my communication takes place through email or 2-way radios. If I get a phone call it means is something important/urgent and I tend to call back if I missed a call.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online faizoff

« Reply #3288 on: May 08, 2024, 04:01:43 PM »
I also, find it exasperating, while at work and someone mentions "HI marc" and nothing else.  STOP.  We are at work, we know you aren't here to chit chat and you need something, spit it out.  I also dont usually respond to those messages until they follow up with their request (but that also depends on how busy I am and who is reaching out). 

Also, work or personal, if I see a missed call, I'll either call or message back.  I dont think I need a VM or follow up message to respond.  But that goes in line with my thoughts on VM not being needed anymore.  A smart phone shows a missed call and from who and when.  THat's enough info for me to get back to someone.

I was going to mention this exact thing today in here. I always get messages on teams 'Hi'.

I just ignore them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3289 on: May 09, 2024, 06:06:07 AM »
When you get a sausage, egg & cheese breakfast sandwich, and the sausage is only like half the diameter of the roll/bagel.