Author Topic: The Post-Funny Stuffcore Thread  (Read 296597 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Post-Funny Stuffcore Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2013, 05:23:19 AM »
Lulu is one of those things where *I* like it, but I can absolutely see why others don't....which is why I can laugh at it.

Curious - what do you like about it?

I often enjoy things that piss people off. It's that I like that it pisses people off...but there's usually a reason people are so up in arms. That alone warrants deeper scrutiny on my part.

As someone mentioned, the music is pretty damn good...especially Junior Dad which is just amazing. Some of it works, and some of it doesn't. With all the Zappa fans around here, I thought it would get a bit more respect...because it really reminds me of Zappa in a lot of ways.

The riffage in Frustration and Dragon is awesome.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2013, 05:25:13 AM »
Lulu is one of those things where *I* like it, but I can absolutely see why others don't....which is why I can laugh at it.

I often enjoy things that piss people off. It's that I like that it pisses people off...but there's usually a reason people are so up in arms. That alone warrants deeper scrutiny on my part.

As someone mentioned, the music is pretty damn good...especially Junior Dad which is just amazing. Some of it works, and some of it doesn't. With all the Zappa fans around here, I thought it would get a bit more respect...because it really reminds me of Zappa in a lot of ways.

And like most people - I listened with an open mind AFTER hearing how awful it was and STILL enjoyed it.

I don't automatically hate something without hearing it because 100 people say it's shit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »
*It's NOT that I like that it pisses people off, but...   

I hate it when I drop a word that important. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »

I kinda figured that's what you meant.  ;)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »

I kinda figured that's what you meant.  ;)

It most certainly wasn't a Freudian slip...  :neverusethis:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

And like most people - I listened with an open mind AFTER hearing how awful it was and STILL enjoyed it.

I don't automatically hate something without hearing it because 100 people say it's shit.
"People's opinion differ from mine? The horror! There must be some sort of logical explanation for this!"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
For the record, I didn't hate Lulu because other people did.

I hated it because it sucked.

Offline sueño

« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »

In my case, after listening -- while I don't like it, I can see why others do.  It's definitely not my cuppa tea, however.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
For the record, I didn't hate Lulu because other people did.

I hated it because it sucked.

I've never heard it.  But I've disliked most of Metallica's output after the black album, so given that and the critical reception of Lulu, I've really had no desire to bother checking it out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
I don't get the Hetfield table thing.

There's a line in one of the songs on Lulu where Hetfield sings "I AM THE TABLE!".

And the song is called The View, in case you want to look it up MJ.

I actually like that song. Hmmm... maybe I should listen to Lulu some day.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
Like someone said before... a lot of the music / riffage is cool... but the album over all is pretty bad
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
I think I'll put this here:

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
???  Okay, seriously, how is that supposedly funny?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sueño

« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »

I saw that on Reddit this morning.  I couldn't see what it said except for the "She's only 10" bit.  I didn't want to even try to read the rest.

It seems horrible.   :-\

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »

:justjen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Ħ

« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
It's supposed to be a random WTF kind of funny. Not really an LOL kind of funny. It's supposed to be, like, what the heck, who would do that? And how he tries to get advice from /b/ but it ends up screwing him over.

Post Funny Stuff v. Let's all disapprove of unfunny material Part 78
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:37:29 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
It's supposed to be a random WTF kind of funny. Not really an LOL kind of funny. It's supposed to be, like, what the heck, who would do that? And how he tries to get advice from /b/ but it ends up screwing him over.

Yeah, this kind of goes beyond the typical "I don't find that funny so let me express my disapproval" schtick.  Frankly, I'm shocked that you could find humor in that.  Just...wow.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
I don't know, I found it funny.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
OK, maybe because it sounds so fake and ridiculous, it's hard to remember that it's real life. Considering that happening to me or someone I know, it wouldn't be funny. But reading about it as a distanced impartial unaffected observer, it's bizarre and interesting in a dark humor kind of way. It's like laughing when a guy gets hit in the balls by a baseball on AFV. It's not like I posted some terrorist execution video, but that's how you're treating it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
OK, maybe because it sounds so fake and ridiculous, it's hard to remember that it's real life. Considering that happening to me or someone I know, it wouldn't be funny. But reading about it as a distanced impartial unaffected observer, it's bizarre and interesting in a dark humor kind of way. It's like laughing when a guy gets hit in the balls by a baseball on AFV. It's not like I posted some terrorist execution video, but that's how you're treating it.

Who? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
Three Word Phrase is here to save this thread.

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ruba

Offline jammindude

« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
https://www.thebrew1049.com/pages/doug.html?article=11512012

This is on SubPop's tumbler....apparently, they received a letter from someone claiming to be Virginia Tech's homecoming queen asking NIRVANA to make a video for the school.   This person also apparently thinks Nirvana is a woman.   

I think someone is playing a prank on SubPop....no way anyone is that stupid. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »

Never underestimate humanity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

Never under overestimate humanity.

FTFY  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin