Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665854 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2135 on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
Considering only the drummers we've seen so far:

JLB said: He's the best... by far (regarding technique). Vote goes to: Minnemann
JP: agreed with JLB. Vote goes to Minnemann.
JM: Minnemann / Mangini
JR: Mangini

Total:
-Minnemann 3 Votes
-Mangini 2 Votes

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2136 on: April 27, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »
Where did that come from?  I only remember Myung giving his verdict in the video.  Also I wasn't really sure about Minneman's chemistry with the rest of the band, but we'll have to wait and see.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2137 on: April 27, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
JLB said: He's the best... by far (regarding technique). Vote goes to: Minnemann

Incorrect.  James said, "That was the most amazing."  We don't know what about Minneman's audition he was referring to, and that does not mean Minneman got James' final vote.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2138 on: April 27, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Where did that come from?  I only remember Myung giving his verdict in the video.  Also I wasn't really sure about Minneman's chemistry with the rest of the band, but we'll have to wait and see.

Didn't Jordan say he thought the chemistry was amazing and he couldn't stop smiling?

I think Mangini resembles MP a lot in terms of mannerisms from what I've seen. He's also a computer scientist who used to program rockets, so do want.

Online T-ski

« Reply #2139 on: April 27, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
impressions after re-watching the first two episodes:

Mike Mangini -  very likely to be the guy.  not only is he highly skilled, his personality seemed to mesh the best with the other guys.  

Derek Roddy - was an odd choice for an audition.  looked out of sync from what they showed us.  didn't seem to have the chops to play with the rest of the band, but again it was only a few minutes to judge him.

Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).  Held his own, but again I didn't see the chemistry with the rest like I did with Mangini.

Virgil Donati -  same as Lang, minus the Jordan put down.  For some reason I could see "artistic differences" becoming an issue down the road.

Marco Minnemann - he was the most entertaining for sure.  I can see why the praise was given out, but I don't think his personality will fit with the rest in the long run.  I can see him working side projects with the guys and that could be amazing.

With two auditions left, I don't see any reason to think it won't be Mangini.  He just seemed to fit the bands personality the best.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2140 on: April 27, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
I've changed my opinion many a time in this thread, but finally, this is what I think:

45% sure it is Peter Wildoer
45% sure it is Mike Mangini
10% sure it is Marco Minneman

Not sure about Wildoer. He answered one of the comments on his youtube video like this:
"Thanks a lot! Very glad you enjoy the clip and my playing. :-) Ha ha, yeah Dream Theater would have been cool...

Cheers,

Peter"

Peter also purportedly said that he was not amongst those picked to audition.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2141 on: April 27, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
impressions after re-watching the first two episodes:

Mike Mangini -  very likely to be the guy.  not only is he highly skilled, his personality seemed to mesh the best with the other guys.  

Derek Roddy - was an odd choice for an audition.  looked out of sync from what they showed us.  didn't seem to have the chops to play with the rest of the band, but again it was only a few minutes to judge him.

Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).  Held his own, but again I didn't see the chemistry with the rest like I did with Mangini.

Virgil Donati -  same as Lang, minus the Jordan put down.  For some reason I could see "artistic differences" becoming an issue down the road.

Marco Minnemann - he was the most entertaining for sure.  I can see why the praise was given out, but I don't think his personality will fit with the rest in the long run.  I can see him working side projects with the guys and that could be amazing.

With two auditions left, I don't see any reason to think it won't be Mangini.  He just seemed to fit the bands personality the best.

A liquid tension with minnemann maybe?  :metal

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2142 on: April 27, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
I've changed my opinion many a time in this thread, but finally, this is what I think:

45% sure it is Peter Wildoer
45% sure it is Mike Mangini
10% sure it is Marco Minneman

Not sure about Wildoer. He answered one of the comments on his youtube video like this:
"Thanks a lot! Very glad you enjoy the clip and my playing. :-) Ha ha, yeah Dream Theater would have been cool...

Cheers,

Peter"

Peter also purportedly said that he was not amongst those picked to audition.

Didnt he also say "Dreamtheater? I've never heard of them."  at one point?  lol.  I think he's just a big jokester, which is cool.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2143 on: April 27, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
That was the Aquiles account in here  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2144 on: April 27, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
It's 2:30 am in Poland, I'm still a work and I have no speakers...so I obviuosly can't watch episode 2... I'll be home at 7am..I can't f...... wait !!!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2145 on: April 27, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
I was in the same situation Cody, but I gave in and used my boss' laptop to stream it on. Hope he doesn't mind :D

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2146 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
I was in the same situation Cody, but I gave in and used my boss' laptop to stream it on. Hope he doesn't mind :D
Yeah but I'm in the hospital and my boss is obviously home now sleeping sweet.... I write now from not even a PC...I have a terminal which is one of 88 same terminals in my hospital...they are connected and we used them for checking info about patients.... Although some of patients have their own laptops...but I want to watch it in calm, in home. ;)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2147 on: April 27, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
Just give them something nice to sleep, then borrow their laptops. No one ever needs to know :D

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2148 on: April 27, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Just give them something nice to sleep, then borrow their laptops. No one ever needs to know :D
:biggrin:Wildoer will know... ;) he's lurking all the time  ::) he will came in across the Baltic Sea ino my country and touch my with his drumstick and then... I die...  :D

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2149 on: April 27, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

Honestly, I didn't see that too much as "how dare you add your own touch!" It was more that he changed it to the point that Jordan wasn't comfortable, to the point it didn't feel right. As others have said, there's a difference between adding your own accents and flavor and completely changing the song.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2150 on: April 27, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »
Lang didn't get near enough credit. He was fucking awesome.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: April 27, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »
Lang didn't get near enough credit. He was fucking awesome.
James talked highly of him, and I think he deserved it.
But something "decisive" in his playing has maybe been cut away...?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2152 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:47 PM »
Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).

I found this strange too, especially with all the criticism Jordan gets from "changing" the keyboard parts in the older DT songs. Just going off the videos, Lang didn't seem to change that much, and I really liked his audition. But of course there was like 2 minutes of the audition, so it's hard to say for sure.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #2153 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »
At around 1:30, The notation mentions that there were technical difficulties with the audio during Roddy's audition. The only sound that was captured was with the camera mics.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #2154 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Obviously, the decision would have come down to Marco and Mike but I think they already picked Mike from day one....

Also, if 8:33 in video 2 is any indication as to the quality of the music for the next album, that phrase > than SC & BCSL hands down! Amazing!

The video was a great idea both from a fan perspective & label/band.

They will have drummed up well over 600k views after this is all over which will ramp up sales considerably.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #2155 on: April 27, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).

I found this strange too, especially with all the criticism Jordan gets from "changing" the keyboard parts in the older DT songs. Just going off the videos, Lang didn't seem to change that much, and I really liked his audition. But of course there was like 2 minutes of the audition, so it's hard to say for sure.

I think that changing the way a drum part is played has a greater effect on the overall playing of the band vs a variation on keyboard melodies.
Maybe that's what rubbed JR the wrong way, That Lang was changing the overall feel of the song rather than just accenting certain parts with in his own style.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #2156 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »

Didn't Jordan say he thought the chemistry was amazing and he couldn't stop smiling?

I think Mangini resembles MP a lot in terms of mannerisms from what I've seen. He's also a computer scientist who used to program rockets, so do want.

JR wasn't talking about mangini with the smiling quote. he was talking about marco, so i think JR's vote would go to him (marco).

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #2157 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
I may be way off but after watching the first two videos I get the impression that Jordan and Petrucci can get damn serious about their music; there were looks Jordan was giving Derek when he was having trouble with the meters that reminded me of my early Jazz Band days when the teacher'd scold me for rushing the beat. Doesn't look like a fun group to try-out for to be completely honest. That said, I can guarantee I'd act the same knowing the musical empire I'd built may potentially rest on this decision :D "YOU CAN'T PLAY TO SATAN'S HEARTBEAT? GET OUT!"   
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2158 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

I think that changing the way a drum part is played has a greater effect on the overall playing of the band vs a variation on keyboard melodies.
Maybe that's what rubbed JR the wrong way, That Lang was changing the overall feel of the song rather than just accenting certain parts with in his own style.

Mangini played with some accentuated accents and JR just loved it because it felt right and that it felt like Mangini was clearly listening to the other individual musicians. Mike Mangini is a genius. I think he clearly studied the songs to the best of his ability, thought hard about what would be best for Dream Theater, understood the audition and killed it. He's the man! And when JP said they could have went on stage with him that night with no prep at all and play a full show, that says something.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: April 27, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »

Again, it's one thing to change parts when you're a member of the band; it's another thing entirely to change parts when you're auditioning.  It's like interviewing for a job.  You don't go in to the interview and start telling the company what they're doing wrong.  You wait until you get the job before trying to make changes

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2160 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
Not disagreeing with that, and I can see why it would make them uncomfortable, I just thought it was kind of funny that it was JR to say that since he seems like the kind of guy who loves switching things up.  :lol

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #2161 on: April 27, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

Again, it's one thing to change parts when you're a member of the band; it's another thing entirely to change parts when you're auditioning.  It's like interviewing for a job.  You don't go in to the interview and start telling the company what they're doing wrong.  You wait until you get the job before trying to make changes

This

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2162 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »

That isn't comparable at all....
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #2163 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »

Mangini played with some accentuated accents and JR just loved it because it felt right and that it felt like Mangini was clearly listening to the other individual musicians. Mike Mangini is a genius. I think he clearly studied the songs to the best of his ability, thought hard about what would be best for Dream Theater, understood the audition and killed it. He's the man! And when JP said they could have went on stage with him that night with no prep at all and play a full show, that says something.

Mangini definitely is the man :hat
He is adept at playing the songs note for note while injecting them with his own personality, All without any apparent mistakes. 

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2164 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:50 PM »

Actually, it's almost exactly the same thing for multiple reasons (just think of a white collar job vs. this; the analogy is pretty good).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

Sure it is.  DT think MP's parts were just fine.  To come in and try to "improve" them during the interview is very much saying that you think you know better than they do.  Once you land the job, you can try to assert your own style.  During the audition, you need to demonstrate that you can perform the songs as written.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2166 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
people are raging on youtube over jordan's comment on thomas and virgil adding their own spin to the music

Offline j

« Reply #2167 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

Actually, it's almost exactly the same thing for multiple reasons (just think of a white collar job vs. this; the analogy is pretty good).

Actually, it isn't.  He was not in any way telling them his interpretation was "superior" to theirs, or that he didn't like the way the song was written.  He was being creative with it and adding his own touches.

Did he go a little too far for their liking?  Possibly, but that's another matter entirely.  It's *nothing* like "going into an interview and telling the company what they're doing wrong".  Terrible analogy.

-J

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2168 on: April 27, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
JR commented that Mangini "felt like home", and I think he was contrasting Lang and Donati to that, rather than saying "how dare they put their own spin on things".  He even said that Mangini played with the accents in the songs...it's that the way Mangini did it, it felt "right" to them, but not so much for the others.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2169 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »
id love for the final decision to fall upon john myung. therefore everyone's mind would be blown. because 'john myung talked!' comments are pretty popular around the net