Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665870 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2065 on: April 27, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »
I agree Minnimann was great and was a real fun guy but I feel he lacked "balls".

i disagree. the dude played with necrophagist

Anyone take the actual mix into account regarding the drummers playing at different levels.  Anyone notice Roddy's sound was drastically different than anyone elses?  Just saying.

the mix got corrupted for roddy's audtion, and they had to use camera audio. he kinda got screwed

Offline The Clairvoyant

« Reply #2066 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
Awesome !! I hope the new drummer will be Mike Mangini or Marco Minneman, they are absolutely great....just a question....when the third and final episode will be available?

Wait...so...your name is The Clairvoyant, and yet you still have to ask?

Yes, because honestly I don't know when we will can get the next episode, anyway "the clairvoyant" is not my name and I'm not a clairvoyant  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2067 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Anyone take the actual mix into account regarding the drummers playing at different levels.  Anyone notice Roddy's sound was drastically different than anyone elses?  Just saying.

Yea, I think Roddy just had whatever the camera mic picked up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2068 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
Yeah I just saw that about Roddy as well, explains why the drums sounded so much louder on his clips than anywhere else.

Offline The Clairvoyant

« Reply #2069 on: April 27, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: April 27, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
In the trailer, when Labrie says "He wasn't trying to be Dream Theater, he was Dream Theater", he had the same shirt he wore during Marco's audition. He was talking about him.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2071 on: April 27, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »

Yes, significantly different mix. Very tinny and no compression.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: April 27, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2073 on: April 27, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
That's because they had to record Roddy's from the camera instead of the mix due to technical difficulties according to Roadrunner.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2074 on: April 27, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
Conspiracy theory I want to start.  What if after the auditions  JLB, JR, and JM wanted Minneman, but JP made the executive decision to go with Magini?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2075 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »
That would be very disappointing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2076 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
PEEEETTTTEERR FOR THE WIN! I think it would be AWESOME if it was peter. His drumming on static impulse is fucking awesome and he could actually do metal vocals and not have it sound silly if they wanted it.

Offline majo

« Reply #2077 on: April 27, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »
here is another way to look at this:
A, mangini - if they do not wont any changes in their music/sound/style
B, minneman - if they are eager to do some "progress" again

i am praying for B but I thing the A will be the reality

(but the JP/jordan/marco project which was rumored is giving me chills)
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: April 27, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
I'm sure by Friday we will be raging about how good the last 2 guys did.  Although if they pick the new guy and it isn't one of those 2 we might be just talking about the new guy.

Definitely can't wait to see the next two guys audition.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2079 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
I rewatched Manginis clip again.

Man that guy just nailed everything. He doesn't have the style that I like in Lang, but crap man he just killed everything. He also came across as the coolest person who auditioned so far, and that says a lot since this documentary is portraying them all as the coolest guys alive.

My favorite part of his is when he is playing TDOE.  "three...four...FIVE! ...  ...  ...  WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline roccer

« Reply #2080 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
We can definitely see a disagrement between James and Jordan on this interpretation thing of Lang. Also, is it my idea or is Lang playing TDOE a bit faster than on the record?

Offline Adami

« Reply #2081 on: April 27, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
We can definitely see a disagrement between James and Jordan on this interpretation thing of Lang. Also, is it my idea or is Lang playing TDOE a bit faster than on the record?

He did, and it was better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
Also with Mangini, he was the first auditionee and I suppose they showed a lot of the audition purely to show what actually happens with the others too; so they don't need to show what happens again and again.  Just getting the general feel of what happens during the audition process across.  However I am 95% sure it's him.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: April 27, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Just compared the Mangini and Virgil new riff parts, and Virgil did a lot better there IMO. Mangini did it pretty boring compared to Virgil.

Offline roccer

« Reply #2084 on: April 27, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

Yeah, I absolutely loved it too. Don' t know if the guys thought it was somehow arrogant though...

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2085 on: April 27, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »
From all I've seen so far I like how they sounded with Donati and Lang and as far as the jams with the riff go - Donati sounded the best by far. He is the perfect musical fit imo - he's playing is ballsy and creative. But I am probably biased since he's my favourite drummer out there.
It looks like they can't make a bad choice with those candidates. Whoever they pick, at least this could mean that we could be seeing drum solos at the live shows again :D

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: April 27, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

Yup, I actually loved everything Lang did in this episode... I'm kinda sad that some of the DT guys didn't like the way he approached the songs.  :sadpanda:

Off-topic appendix:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:00:40 PM by kartmaze2 »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Friday, April 29th at 11 AM EST   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2088 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »
Gotta get down on Friday.  :friday:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #2089 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
here is another way to look at this:
A, mangini - if they do not wont any changes in their music/sound/style
B, minneman - if they are eager to do some "progress" again

i am praying for B but I thing the A will be the reality

(but the JP/jordan/marco project which was rumored is giving me chills)

THIS

The more I watch Marco, the more it feels right.

I also stand by the fact that if Mangini is chosen, then a significant part of it (maybe the deciding factor even) has nothing to do with his drumming abilities.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2090 on: April 27, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
Friday, April 29th at 11 AM EST   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
SCHWEET!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2091 on: April 27, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »

Yup, I actually loved everything Lang did in this episode... I'm kinda sad that some of the DT guys didn't like the way he approached the songs.  :sadpanda:

I just watched the whole thing again and my appreciation for Lang jumped up massively. Really enjoyed his playing this time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2092 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
Gotta get down on Friday.  :friday:

If the forum has that motif friday, the place will go ape. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2093 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
I agree Minnimann was great and was a real fun guy but I feel he lacked "balls".

I felt like minneman was hilarious (in a good way), and played very well, but also do not think he lacked balls.

I know people have said it in this thread, but I'll say it again:  they arent testing these drummers with 3 tests, there are at least 4, with the 4th one being:  can I sit in the same room as this guy for years?  Honestly, you probably should take a drummer at 80% of the level of another one, if the top guy seems weird, dickish, etc, because that's the vast majority of the time they spend together.  Not that it's my call, since I am not DT, but from the clips we've seen, I'd rank marco at the top of this 4th test.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2094 on: April 27, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
I can't believe it......Friday will finally be the day that we've all be IMPATIENTLY waiting for!!!!!  :metal

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #2095 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
Well, after watching the two parts repeatedly, my opinion on the drummers is this:

Mangini: I didn't like his videos on Youtube, but his audition was phenomenal. He might be the one that fits like a glove. BUT, if he's the chosen one, I don't see Dream Theater making any progress. I could describe him as a "better" MP or at least, not that very different from MP.

Roddy: he got screwed by the sound (relative post: https://drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=834605&postcount=172), so that didn't come nice on the video. Still, the band's reactions weren't that enthusiastic with him, and Petrucci's comment is shot somewhere else, maybe just to say something good about him?

Lang: he got my vote both times at the poll and I believed in him, but... I don't know, something didn't seem right. I couldn't care less about him interpreting various parts differently (the JR comment), but I was rather disappointed by what was shown, with the exception of the jamming thing.

Donati: he was perfect at jamming but he seemed to struggle on the intro to ANTR. Maybe he doesn't like metal that much. Also, his age is a factor that cannot be overlooked - it might be ok for a keyboard player to be in his 50's, but for a drummer in a band that plays 3-hour sets it's kinda difficult.

Minnemann: wow. Just wow. Everything seemed so natural with him. Originally, he was my 2nd choice after Lang, but now he's my first. If DT want to be progressive again and not mostly "balls 'n chunk" he has to be the one. He's a nice guy, he seemed to be good at jamming and he's already worked with JR. Plus he got Myungs vocal approval (well, ok, together with Mangini). JR's reaction while MM was hitting the cymbals on the intro to ANTR (kinda air-drumming with the right hand while playing his keyboard with the left) was one of the highlights of the auditions!

As for the two guys we haven't seen, I would say mr. Wildoer could be the one that was better than anyone we've seen. Can't believe this could be Priester.

At this point, I think it might be safe to say that MM got the gig!
(which of course leaves room for interpretations!)

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #2096 on: April 27, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
despite the fact, that Thomas does not fit in, his ability to keep control over the playing and music grabs me away...he is top-class.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: April 27, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
I'm actually more excited about just seeing the 3rd episode than the actual announcement.  :P
These episodes are so cool!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2098 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

Off-topic appendix:

lol'd in the middle of the library at the pic :rollin

Offline Adami

« Reply #2099 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
I think someone needs to say JRs comment about lang back to him and then show him his version of SDV.
fanticide.bandcamp.com