Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 66630 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #665 on: October 16, 2022, 03:23:38 AM »
"Midnights will mark return to ‘pop’ for superstar who has found new kind of acclaim in recent years"

Oh, no.

I mean, I'm still gonna listen to it with an open mind, but if I won't like it, well, I won't like it. To make another example in the "pop star that surprisingly is interesting to metalheads" camp, I still respect Lady Gaga as an artist, that doesn't mean I have to force myself to listen to her dance-ish and disco-ish songs if I don't like the genre.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: October 16, 2022, 04:31:05 AM »
Conversely, I did a little whoop of delight. But we'll see.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2022, 06:20:14 AM »
I would take that comment with a grain of salt, as it sounds like the writer of the article hasn't actually heard the album, hence the "whatever its sound..." comment, or there is always the possibility she has heard it, but is not allowed to speak of its specifics prior to its release.  I could see Taylor having put that in a contract with anyone in the media fortunate enough to have gotten a chance to hear it before 10/21.   It being pop again could simply be it having hooks that are far more immediate than the ones on Folklore and Evermore.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #668 on: October 20, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
anybody staying up to listen to the new album?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #669 on: October 20, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »
yes, i'm staying up past 9 PM as i always do to listen to the album :neverusethis:
west coast life has its benefits

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #670 on: October 20, 2022, 03:05:21 PM »
The current RYM rating has me worried…

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #671 on: October 20, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
The current RYM rating has me worried…

Why?  Any rating, good or bad, based off a leak that happened in the past day or two is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction. 

anybody staying up to listen to the new album?

Nope. I need my sleep. I'll hear it mañana.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #672 on: October 20, 2022, 08:32:27 PM »
A little disappointing to hear Al Michaels insinuate that only girls listen to Taylor Swift, but the teaser trailer during the football game tonight was nice.  Looks and sounds like she is going back to the 1989/Reputation sound and visuals, and I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up making a video for every song on the new album.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2022, 08:38:48 PM »
Al probably didn't want to say only girls and old men listen to Taylor  :lol

I actually thought he said something about her being extremely popular among girls, not that only girls listen to her.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #674 on: October 20, 2022, 08:44:57 PM »
Al to Kirk Herbstreit (immediately after the trailer ended):

"You have four sons. If you had a daughter, she'd be over the moon right now."

The insinuation is clear.  And I am a big Al Michaels fan.  The running narrative that only girls listen to Taylor Swift is so just old and tired. 

But hey, the new album will be here soon!  :tup :tup

Offline The Realm

« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2022, 08:54:59 PM »
Yeah, fair enough sorry wasn't listening that closely. I also really like Al.

Yes, the new album is nearly here, will be looking forward to checking it out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2022, 09:01:04 PM »
This is a unique spot for me as a music fan as the late 80s was probably the last time I was a fan of an artist in their prime who was this popular. I am so used to being a fan of artists that usually fly under the radar a bit, or a lot, to where looking forward to an album that is getting talked about everywhere almost seems strange.  :lol :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #677 on: October 21, 2022, 01:22:05 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Genre: Synthpop - electropop - indie pop - downtempo pop

My hopes are crushed.

Well, I'll still listen to it out of curiosity but if I won't like it, I won't like it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #678 on: October 21, 2022, 02:22:58 AM »
I listened to the Lana song as I'm a huge fan of hers (and like the last two Swift albums), found it pretty underwhelming - barely any Lana on it.  I'll give the rest of the album a spin sometime, but I'm not expecting to enjoy it much as I don't like much of her work outside Folk/Ever (which I think is more about Dessner's influence for me).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: October 21, 2022, 06:25:01 AM »
Many listens to come, but the video for Anti-Hero is now out.  Pretty sure that chorus is going to be stuck in my head all day now.  :lol :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kbLwvqugk

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #680 on: October 21, 2022, 08:04:00 AM »
One more track to go but very good first impressions.  :tup Bit more fleshed out than the last two.

Edit: On the last track now. Great. Made me smile, as several tracks did. She's a really, really consistent writer.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #681 on: October 21, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »
From Wikipedia:

My hopes are crushed.

Well, I'll still listen to it out of curiosity but if I won't like it, I won't like it.

I'm not sure I would put too much faith in that kind of thing.  Labels to me are always suspect.

Saw the teaser/trailer for the videos on Amazon Prime last night during the game.   There are a couple scenes of her with dark hair apparently in a t-shirt and shorts.   Just going to leave that there for what it's worth.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #682 on: October 21, 2022, 09:14:52 AM »
From Wikipedia:

My hopes are crushed.

I'm not sure I would put too much faith in that kind of thing.  Labels to me are always suspect.

Saw the teaser/trailer for the videos on Amazon Prime last night during the game.   There are a couple scenes of her with dark hair apparently in a t-shirt and shorts.   Just going to leave that there for what it's worth.  :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #683 on: October 21, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
From Wikipedia:

My hopes are crushed.

To be fair the Genre tag would just be "Jack Antanoff" which describes most her work other than Folklore/Evermore.

This is mostly in the vein of Lover from what I heard thus far, not bad but nothing really remarkable and seems a bit like a retrogression considering the trajectory she seemed to be on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #684 on: October 21, 2022, 12:39:02 PM »
Saw the video for the new song.

It's cool, it's catchy, and it's very ironic, kudos to Taylor for not taking herself so seriously, and also the comedy sketch at the funeral was fun  :lol

However, all I could think about hearing the song was "damn, if this had the folklore / evermore arrangement, it would be awesome". I mean, the song is still ok but I guess I'll just have to be happy that I got two awesome albums from an artist I didn't even like to begin with, rather than stubbornly hope she would continue in that vein  :P

Anyway, if all the album is like this, I can take it, it's just the full on dance / electronic stuff I wouldn't be able to get on board with.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #685 on: October 21, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »
From Wikipedia:

My hopes are crushed.

To be fair the Genre tag would just be "Jack Antanoff" which describes most her work other than Folklore/Evermore.

This is mostly in the vein of Lover from what I heard thus far, not bad but nothing really remarkable and seems a bit like a retrogression considering the trajectory she seemed to be on.
Yeah. I do like that kinda stuff just as much as I like her sad indie folk, but a) some of that stuff I like was already made in 2013 - not just by Taylor either - and this is 2022 b) Lover as a body of work is kinda uneven, and this is too.

On the other hand, as a woman around Taylor's age who also has some mental health stuff happening, Anti-Hero was so on point :blush :hefdaddy

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #686 on: October 21, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
I think the concept of the record is meant to be about things that have kept her up nights over the years.  Like the rest of us, she has fears and anxieties, and she put them all out there again for us on this record.

I think it is worth noting again that Jack Antanoff was not a producer until she gave him a shot, so the idea that her music sounds like him per se is way off.  I never think any Taylor Swift album or song sounds like anything but what she wants it to sound like. 

I saw a few reviews that said that Midnights is not that dissimilar from Folklore and Evermore, and I think I agree.  It is the same type of writing, but the cosmetics of it make it seem really different, as this in awash in synths and programmed drums instead of acoustic guitars and clean electric guitars.   Traditional instruments (guitar, bass, piano, real drums) are largely MIA on the proper album.  And the melodies are this one are slow growers and not immediate, like most of the songs on the two 2020 albums.  Personally, I wish there would have been more of a balance, but it feels like an album in which you can immerse yourself for sure.  The bonus songs definitely feel like their own entity and more traditional rather than a part of the 13-song running order of the album. 

Of the bonus songs, The Great War is a favorite for me already.  That is probably one of my favorite from the entire project thus far.

Not really feeling Lavender Haze or Vigilante Shit from the proper album thus far, but Anti-Hero, Mastermind and Karma stand out for me early on.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
From Wikipedia:

My hopes are crushed.

Yeah. I do like that kinda stuff just as much as I like her sad indie folk, but a) some of that stuff I like was already made in 2013 - not just by Taylor either - and this is 2022 b) Lover as a body of work is kinda uneven, and this is too.

On the other hand, as a woman around Taylor's age who also has some mental health stuff happening, Anti-Hero was so on point :blush :hefdaddy

Curious as to what you'd think of Soccer Mommy, if you heard of her.
Her albums "Color Theory" and "Sometimes, Forever" are very similar to what I like about Taylor, but I just like her much more. "Color Theory" especially has a deep pervading mental health theme.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2022, 02:56:32 PM »
I think it is worth noting again that Jack Antanoff was not a producer until she gave him a shot, so the idea that her music sounds like him per se is way off.  I never think any Taylor Swift album or song sounds like anything but what she wants it to sound like. 

On this note I will agree and go further to say that Antanoff's stuff with Taylor is a lot better than what he's done with other similar artists. Can't stand the new Lorde album, and never really "got" LDR.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2022, 03:03:08 PM »
I have only heard a few Lorde songs, thus I cannot comment on her much, but I love Norman F'ing Rockwell by LDR, so there is that. 

I think Antanoff loves going overboard with the vocal effects and programmed stuff, but also has no problem bringing it down.  Heck, he produced something as mellow as New Year's Day as well as a lot of the Folklore/Evermore songs, so I think his diversity when it comes to producing is key.  I do think it's fair to say that he likely brings out Taylor's worst tendencies, ala the overproduced stuff, but you gotta take the good with the bad.  Despite this new album being loaded with effects and vocal overdubs, that stupid vocoder effect seems pretty absent (I cannot think of any instances with it off the top of my head), which alone is a wonderful thing.  I like Reputation a lot now despite the overbearing presence at times of that damn vocoder effect.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #690 on: October 21, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
I think I've heard all of the new album. I think my wife had it on repeat while I was sleeping. Nothing stood out as Reputation bad, but nothing really stood out. There's a song towards the end that does this progressively loud twang noise like every other stanza which I don't feel was a wise choice. I guess I'll find out over the next two years if anything else grows on me, willingly or otherwise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #691 on: October 22, 2022, 01:14:45 AM »
I saw a few reviews that said that Midnights is not that dissimilar from Folklore and Evermore, and I think I agree.  It is the same type of writing, but the cosmetics of it make it seem really different, as this in awash in synths and programmed drums instead of acoustic guitars and clean electric guitars.

That's the impression I got from the single and from some random songs I sampled on YouTube. The hooks and the clever lyrics are still there, it's the dressing up that is not to my liking. Uh well, I'll try and give it a full listen in one go, to take in the album as a whole, but if it's all like what I've heard, I'd probably best take in few songs at a time....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #692 on: October 22, 2022, 01:45:30 AM »

On this note I will agree and go further to say that Antanoff's stuff with Taylor is a lot better than what he's done with other similar artists. Can't stand the new Lorde album, and never really "got" LDR.

Honestly I find his production to be just the worst thing. That twitter video that's trending of the guy predicting which songs he produced on the album is hilarious because it just feels so accurate. The only songs that are even remotely tolerable are the ones he had no involvement with lol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: October 22, 2022, 06:06:56 AM »
I saw a few reviews that said that Midnights is not that dissimilar from Folklore and Evermore, and I think I agree.  It is the same type of writing, but the cosmetics of it make it seem really different, as this in awash in synths and programmed drums instead of acoustic guitars and clean electric guitars.

That's the impression I got from the single and from some random songs I sampled on YouTube. The hooks and the clever lyrics are still there, it's the dressing up that is not to my liking. Uh well, I'll try and give it a full listen in one go, to take in the album as a whole, but if it's all like what I've heard, I'd probably best take in few songs at a time....

It sounds like a cliche, but I think it's best listened to from start to finish in one sitting, rather than in pieces.  I thought the production was a bit much at first as well, but once I gave it a few listens, it really sucks you into a specific vibe that is really nice.  It's a pretty chill album overall, to be honest.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #694 on: October 22, 2022, 08:05:00 AM »
Posted a quick comment in the What are you listening thread...the first (admittedly cursory) listen didn't leave me too impressed, but as I'm giving this more time, the songs are starting to find their way in my brain  ;) Anti-Hero and Snow on the Beach are highlights for now...

Haven't listened to the extra songs in the "3am edition" yet.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #695 on: October 22, 2022, 08:23:32 AM »
Yeah, I agree, to be frank I use "Jack Antonoff" as a shorthand for "the two headed beast that is Jack Antonoff and Taylor Swift amplifying a certain tendency in each other" :lol for good or bad he's just been there and will continue to be there, and Taylor talked a bit about how she thinks of this as an album they really did as a duo. And you can really tell they did.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #696 on: October 22, 2022, 09:00:18 AM »
Still think it's really solid and I'm enjoying it on day 2.

The production is sometimes not to my taste also. It sometimes paints a modestly "urban" vibe that doesn't really add anything or fit her, imo. This might be an expectation that it's needed to be really successful in today's pop world. Dunno. Sounds a tad forced to my ears, tho. The songs would  be better served by a more traditional or 80s synthy backing, imo.

In some songs, I feel like she's stretching to write about anything significant AND relatable that really deserves the earnest treatment it's getting. I get that's her type of songwriting but she could do much more with her great writing gift.

These are not meant to be big negative slams, but observations. Good record.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:47:04 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #697 on: October 22, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
I've given the album 3/4 listens and I don't think this one is for me. I do really like Anti-Hero, Snow on the Beach and Vigilante Shit but a few of the other tracks I can't really get into. As always there are some great lyrics and storytelling but many of the musical ideas sound a bit flat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 22, 2022, 04:13:19 PM »
Okay, so I deliberately didn't read any comments here about the new album before listening (and I still haven't read any as I type this). Just listened. First thought is that it has the production of Reputation of mixed with the songwriting of Folklore and Evermore. And I'm okay with that, actually. It's sonically more interesting than both the latter two and I think that's what I was looking for. Sure, I love Taylor's sugary pop and I'm sure there'll be a place for that again at some point further down the road.

Edit: also, only one listen on Qobuz with headphones but this album is nowhere near as loud as the random song that succeeded it (10 Things I Hate About You by Leah Kate, apparently).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:03:15 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #699 on: October 22, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
I like how the album as a whole has this dreamy thing going on.  While not the kind of (songs at) "Midnights" album I was expecting, it still feels very much like a late night album, just not in the way I was expecting.  And she was obviously going for something different, as the big pop hooks are mostly MIA here.  And if she really wanted them, I am sure Max Martin and Shellbeck are both just a phone call away to come in and do their thing and "hook" them up, but that is not what she was going for on this record.  My appreciation for her strictly as an artist just continues to increase.  I get that the cosmetics here are the opposite of what many of her fans who tilt more towards rock than pop wanted, especially after Folklore and Evermore, but I think if you are a fan of her in general, rather than fans of specific albums (the latter being that that you will chuck this quickly as one of her albums that is not for you), living with this one a bit and letting it all sink in will be rewarding. Just my two cents.