Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95439 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #735 on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:56 AM »
Wait, June? I thought the only dates were the German ones in September/October.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #736 on: December 18, 2020, 06:59:46 AM »
Wait, June? I thought the only dates were the German ones in September/October.

As has been a tradition for many of their previous tours, they will do the first show in The Netherlands, close to the border.
In this case labeled as the warmup show, for 20 euros. But yes for the time being the tour is mostly Germany.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: December 18, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
I'd love to get to see them again... I am waiting for my box set with the blu-ray concert.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #738 on: December 18, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »
Yeah, I am looking forward to the concert very much. It will be their first full live concert performance since 2016 (?) and likely my first concert in well over a year (unless Nightwish in ziggodome is not cancelled).

I'd love to get to see them again... I am waiting for my box set with the blu-ray concert.

I unfortunately need to warn you it really is more of a bonus consisting of the Imaginations album. Still nice seeing them and I enjoy the performances, but do not expect something like the Looking Glass. The earbook as a package is most definitely worth it though, overall a very nice edition of one of the best powermetal albums. You can see Hansi showing the book in the unboxing vid last page. I am quite happy that they did not went for the Machado art they were using for like a decade.

It is also already sold out at all the official shops, I believe the earbook was limited as well? (the boxset for sure, it is numbered).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: December 18, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »

I unfortunately need to warn you it really is more of a bonus consisting of the Imaginations album. Still nice seeing them and I enjoy the performances, but do not expect something like the Looking Glass. The earbook as a package is most definitely worth it though, overall a very nice edition of one of the best powermetal albums. You can see Hansi showing the book in the unboxing vid last page. I am quite happy that they did not went for the Machado art they were using for like a decade.

It is also already sold out at all the official shops, I believe the earbook was limited as well? (the boxset for sure, it is numbered).

Well if it's similar quality to the video of Bright Eyes they put on youtube to promote this, I will be happy.  I know wolfking might not, but it set my expectations.  Being its a bonus, I really didn't expect Looking Glass or really any modern normal release video quality.  But I did still want the live release because I enjoy watching concerts. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #740 on: January 17, 2021, 07:08:24 PM »
My Earbook of Imaginations From The Other Side has finally shipped and was delivered today. After I emailed Nuclear Blast telling them I hadn't received my order, they replied that pre-orders were stuck in customs, and once they reopened they processed all those orders and shipped them out.

It is a really amazing and durable Earbook. I think it's one of the best and durable ones I have ever gotten. It's smooth, glossy, and really shiny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: January 17, 2021, 07:10:10 PM »
What is an Earbook?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #742 on: January 17, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »
What is an Earbook?

Stadler asked the same question in the LTE thread. Link to his post and then read several follow-ups. They explain it.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55999.msg2739120#msg2739120
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: January 17, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
OK, well I can figure out what an artbook is. But Ben said Ear Book, and I had no idea what that meant. Is that slang for art book?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #744 on: January 17, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »
OK, well I can figure out what an artbook is. But Ben said Ear Book, and I had no idea what that meant. Is that slang for art book?

It is labelled as an Ear Book. Art Book and Ear Book are pretty much the same thing. I am thinking though, if Ear Book is referencing that the liner notes have words like Interviews or perceptions of the album, and Art Book is just the Art and lyrics?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #745 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:04 AM »
Same thing, big overpriced CD that looks like a vinyl sleeve.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #746 on: January 18, 2021, 04:30:01 AM »
Earbooks are usually 40-something euro's here, which I think is a good price if it is a proper one.

And yes the Imaginations earbook as well as the boxset are very well made. Here is Hansi showing(selling  :P) it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StpYCs-AaKc&t=240s I like the artists they went with, they did a good job.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: January 18, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
and he's wearing a Dead Kennedy's tshirt, maybe just to piss off Jon Schaffer?  :lol

now where is my earbook...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #748 on: January 18, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »
and he's wearing a Dead Kennedy's tshirt, maybe just to piss off Jon Schaffer?  :lol

now where is my earbook...

If you ordered from Nuclear Blast, I would email them. I think emailing helped get my package out faster,  :lol. I emailed on the 6th, then got a automated reply back with the message of them being closed, and their stock coming in on the 4th when they opened. On my invoice, they sent it out the next day on the 7th. I sent them my name and order number, that is actually the only time I ever emailed about not receiving my package. Well, other then the IndieGoGo that was a marketing ploy, and never got my cd.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: January 20, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
Yea, I just wrote them an email.  Let's see. I accidentally deleted my order confirmation email but since I used paypal, it has all the invoice details saved so they should be able to track it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #750 on: January 20, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
Yea, I just wrote them an email.  Let's see. I accidentally deleted my order confirmation email but since I used paypal, it has all the invoice details saved so they should be able to track it.

The only problem I have with the packaging is how the Disks are kept in place. They're a squishy stuff and I had to fiddle with it a bit to make sure they're placed in tight. My Disc 1 (Live) was scratched when I took it out, but amazingly, it ripped without a hitch, but then it wasn't really too bad either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: January 20, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »

The only problem I have with the packaging is how the Disks are kept in place. They're a squishy stuff and I had to fiddle with it a bit to make sure they're placed in tight. My Disc 1 (Live) was scratched when I took it out, but amazingly, it ripped without a hitch, but then it wasn't really too bad either.

That's really annoying.  My DT artbook is almost the opposite, it's actually quite hard to get the discs out, but at least I know they are secure so I'd rather that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #752 on: January 20, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »

That's really annoying.  My DT artbook is almost the opposite, it's actually quite hard to get the discs out, but at least I know they are secure so I'd rather that.

I know. I was all, ooo pretty and then opened and saw those squishy things and went, Oh...hope the discs are ok. You'll know what I mean when you get it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: February 02, 2021, 12:04:36 PM »
Well it only took almost 2 full weeks to respond to my email  :facepalm: and it looks like I got the exact same canned response as you Ben:

We're very sorry for the delay with your order. We had just received our import shipments later than expected (At the end of last week) I do see that your order was pulled, so you should be receiving a shipping notification within the next 24 hours.

But considering what you wrote two weeks ago, it seems like they are waiting for the complaints before shipping them out. I fucking HATE buying products direct.  Customer service is such trash with these companies. Too bad some releases never make their way to amazon.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #754 on: February 02, 2021, 10:49:42 PM »
Well it only took almost 2 full weeks to respond to my email  :facepalm: and it looks like I got the exact same canned response as you Ben:

We're very sorry for the delay with your order. We had just received our import shipments later than expected (At the end of last week) I do see that your order was pulled, so you should be receiving a shipping notification within the next 24 hours.

But considering what you wrote two weeks ago, it seems like they are waiting for the complaints before shipping them out. I fucking HATE buying products direct.  Customer service is such trash with these companies. Too bad some releases never make their way to amazon.

:lol

That email sounds about right.

Yeah, I haven't ordered from Nuclear Blast in a while. And this is one reason why.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #755 on: February 03, 2021, 02:29:03 AM »
Damn, that sucks, my experience with Nuclear Blast Germany has been good, with customer service as well, though I had to delve through some German.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: February 09, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »

Got it a couple days ago, finally.  These artbooks are beautiful, very well done package.  I haven't listened to any of the CDs, but watched the blu ray last night.  I'd say the Bright Eyes video is one of the better songs from it from a video perspective.  SOme of these songs are not shot very well IMO.  The audio is decent, nothing to say is really good and not bad to complain about.  It's live and raw.  I just think some of the camera shots are off, but otherwise it's pretty damn cool.  I can see why it's like a more rare release because of the quality, but it's pretty awesome to have.  My only real complaint is Nuclear Blast's communication.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #758 on: June 18, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Heads up for the vinyl lovers, they apparently cleaned out some attics (or something) and are/were selling some rare old stuff on their merch sites. As well as signed newer rereleases.

They promised fair prices on facebook and they weren't lying, no markups for autographs and some rare items the same price as a regular new release. I ordered the 1998 Nightfall picture disc signed by the original members along with the recent Tokyo tales remastered on vinyl signed by the original lineup and A Twist in The Myth clear vinyl (2011 release) signed by the new(er) lineup.

Unfortunately (or luckily?) I was too late for some of the other goodies, because I would've easily bought it all  :lol

I only hate I missed out on At The Edge of Time, as I do not own that one on vinyl (yet).

Anyone following the Imaginations Song Contest?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeB8j809B_K8AlzbNxMqSfoAuPi9cxHb5xVs4m850a0FGiewA/viewform

I watched some of the more viewed ones and there were some quality acts among them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: June 18, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
Sucks that it wont ship to the US, I would have picked up some signed CDs.

As of now, I have a signed ticket stub from Hansi, but it's also signed by Jon Schaffer sooo I'd totally buy a signed CD or two from BG.  I had a couple in my shopping cart before I realized they won't ship to the US.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #760 on: June 18, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Sucks that it wont ship to the US, I would have picked up some signed CDs.

As of now, I have a signed ticket stub from Hansi, but it's also signed by Jon Schaffer sooo I'd totally buy a signed CD or two from BG.  I had a couple in my shopping cart before I realized they won't ship to the US.

That sucks, but it does seem they have other items, including CD's, signed in the US shop (at the Blind Guardian website you get the option for an NA or EU. The one they linked on facebook was the EU one (in a German post).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: June 18, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
and the US shop is all sold out, I wish I knew that earlier.  Oh well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #762 on: July 08, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »
So this is a surprise. BG completed mixing on their new album. Of course, I had no idea they were even in the studio.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blind-guardian-completes-recording-very-aggressive-and-very-dark-new-album-it-is-a-roller-coaster-ride/

BLIND GUARDIAN frontman Hansi Kürsch spoke to Sakis Fragos of Rock Hard Greece about the progress of the recording sessions for the band's next studio album. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "As of today, we finally decided who's going to do the mastering, which means we have finished the mixing. And I wanna hand in at least the audio stuff to the record company within the next two weeks."

As for the musical direction of BLIND GUARDIAN's new material, Hansi said: "It is by far the most intense album we did in a very, very long time. It is, in every measure, a roller-coaster ride. There is a lot of let-your-hair-down stuff — more than I expected. There are some typical surprising BLIND GUARDIAN elements.

"I'm just curious to see, really, or to hear what people will think about it. I think it's a very, very strong album. It will surprise a lot of people.

"It is straight-forward in the sense of BLIND GUARDIAN, so don't expect a straight-forward album if you compare it to anything else," he explained. "It's not a straight-forward album at all, but it's very straight-forward for BLIND GUARDIAN. It's very aggressive, it's very dark.

"The composing mostly has been accomplished before corona started to happen, but you can feel that there is a lot of anger in the album. It really delivers also very catchy and positive vibes, but there is a very raw energy you will feel."
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »
This isn't much of a surprise since they played a new song last summer

https://youtu.be/oBieoMlzOEg?t=437

but the description sounds like a bit of a surpise given their last few releases... but then again, the new song Violent Shadows (linked above) kind of feels like that description  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #764 on: July 08, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
Not feeling Violent Shadows. Didn't like the last album either.

I've been listening to A Night at the Opera a lot lately, minus 2 songs: Minstrel Knight and False Innocence. Never been a fan a fan of either, but the rest of the album is brilliant. It used to give me a headache, but the headphones I use at work make it sound amazing, and the kick drums sound so good. I don't really like in ear buds, but love the booming bass they produce. Imaginations, Nightfall and Opera and an incredible 3 album run. I wish I liked the two songs I mentioned more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2021, 10:46:15 PM »
Yeah, I thought the last real BG album was awful.  Didn't even check out the orchestral thing.  Interested by the description of this new one though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2021, 01:10:44 AM »
While I'm more than happy with BG's evolution and I never wanted another Imaginations, I think they took the orchestral approach as far as they could and if there's a band that can pull off a convincing and not corny "back to the roots" album, it's them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #767 on: July 09, 2021, 06:05:54 AM »
I like the orchestral album and Beyond the Red Mirror, but I think the direction they are aiming for is a good thing for sure. Violent Shadows live is a great track and I think it fits the desciption of the album well, so here is hoping for more of that.

And I feel like Holy Grail and Tanelorn (into the void) are good examples of modern BG writing old(er) school songs.

The new album is mixed by Joost van den Broek. I hope it sounds better than the majority of BG's albums, which should be possible.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2021, 06:51:53 AM »
And I feel like Holy Grail and Tanelorn (into the void) are good examples of modern BG writing old(er) school songs.

Yeah, Holy Grail is great.

More generally, I thought At the Edge of Time was the perfect bland between their old school power metal fast roots, and the orchestral embellishments, the perfect balance between old and new.

Red Mirror was "too much" even for me. I applaud them for doing what they want to do but I never really clicked with that album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #769 on: July 09, 2021, 08:53:34 AM »
I would agree, except I kind of feel the same about Edge of Time too. You are right it's not quite as "extreme" in its over-arranging, but still. You can tell that are doing what they want and stand behind it, but I'm having some trouble remembering stuff from their last two albums (which I admittedly haven't spent as much time with as their older ones).

I do enjoy A Twist in the Myth quite a bit.

My favorite BG is Imaginations, followed by Tales from The Twilight World, then Somewhere Far Beyond and Nightfall close behind...