Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 95478 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »
I did something similar in the fall. Lots of posts on that in this thread.

I had sampled them many years ago, but I just couldn't get into it. I got a big fat Amazon GC for my 50th and I bought the entire discog. Really liking it.

I was actually reading through your journey recently. Got a lot of insight from it.

These weren't easy to find at a decent price. Found a store on eBay that had everything brand new and a 99.9% rating. Plus, since I ordered 10 albums I got another $10 off my order. Was able to lock the whole thing down for $133.50. I thought that was a pretty good deal, considering.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #561 on: June 04, 2019, 07:03:39 PM »
I did something similar in the fall. Lots of posts on that in this thread.

I had sampled them many years ago, but I just couldn't get into it. I got a big fat Amazon GC for my 50th and I bought the entire discog. Really liking it.

I was actually reading through your journey recently. Got a lot of insight from it.

These weren't easy to find at a decent price. Found a store on eBay that had everything brand new and a 99.9% rating. Plus, since I ordered 10 albums I got another $10 off my order. Was able to lock the whole thing down for $133.50. I thought that was a pretty good deal, considering.

Insight? maybe I should reread it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #562 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Well, you weren't scaring me away. It's takes a lot for me to pull the trigger like that so I'm always looking for a reason to bail.

Hey, does this mean I can blame you if it ends up being a flame out?  :biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #563 on: June 04, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
Blessed are the ones embarking on their Blind Guardian journey for the first time. Enjoy the ride, it's a damn good one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »

Hey, does this mean I can blame you if it ends up being a flame out?  :biggrin:

Blame Kattelox!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: June 04, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Blind Guardian is one of the very very few bands I can say (imo) have zero bad albums. Even my least favorite is still a good album in my opinion. Hey, you might see them on my top 50...  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #566 on: June 04, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
Blind Guardian is one of the very very few bands I can say (imo) have zero bad albums. Even my least favorite is still a good album in my opinion. Hey, you might see them on my top 50...  :biggrin:
Actually they have 1 bad album, Beyond the Red Mirror. Although it isn't really so much bad as just mediocre. And extremely disappointing after how good At the Edge of Time was.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #567 on: June 04, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »
A Twist in the Myth isn't all that good either. I also never cared for their first two or Somewhere Far Beyond, but SFB has some good stuff on it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »
Beyond the Red Mirror is my 2nd favorite Guardian album. I came to this conclusion just the other night while I was listening to it to be sure. Twist is one of their weakest, but I think Nightfall is the biggest offender, and I'm a giant LOTR dweeb. *shrug* Just a whole bunch of filler on that damn thing, and such a drop in quality from their magnum opus imo (Imaginations).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #569 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »
I have finally started my BG journey. All of the albums were delivered on 6/8 but I was getting ready to go away with the wife for our 20th. Didn't think she would appreciate non-stop BG. Then the Demons & Wizards albums arrived. I went through those first. Like the first more than the second.

Today I made it through the first two records and most of the third. I absolutely loved the first two. That is some quality speed metal. There wasn't anything that I didn't like. I should note that I am listening to the remixes of these.

The third album seems a small step down for me so far. Not bad, but isn't grabbing me as much as the first two.

I'm very aware that things will be changing but I am really loving these guys so far.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:08:42 PM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
Ain't a bad record in the lot. Exciting times for you! :2metal:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »
Enjoy the journey, personally I feel it only gets better from there

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »
With the exception of their second record, I like or love all their albums. Interesting to see you prefer albums 1 and 2 over 3.

And in regards to Demons & Wizards, I think the general consensus is that the first record is indeed superior.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »
I might be in the minority then. I think Touched By The Crimson King is a superior record without question.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
Well, that is just a feeling I get from reading discussions/comments online. But the second record is great as well, so to me it is not weird to prefer it or something. Actually, I am looking forward to the new Demons & Wizards (a tiny bit) more than the orchestral album by Blind Guardian. Both are actually albums of which at some point I expected to never come out and now it seems we will be getting them relatively close to each other.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #575 on: July 04, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »
Still regularly listening to the first two. Just really enjoying them.

Re-listened to Tales From The Twilight World and liked it much more the second time around. About halfway through Somewhere Far Beyond and no complaints there either.

Went back to the same eBay seller that I got the entire 2019 2-disc studio album set from and picked up the 2019 2-disc versions of Tokyo Tales, Live and Forgotten Tales. Skipped the newest live album for now.

I can't get Majesty and Valhalla out of my head. They are ear worms that I find myself singing constantly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: July 04, 2019, 06:11:06 PM »
That first album is great, and I love Twilight. Probably my two faves.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 04, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
Yeah, Guardian's early speed metal era is just the best, imo. So many heavy riffs and Hansi's voice is strong as hell. I love the Tokyo Tales live album, that might be my favorite live record ever. The setlist is basically the best of all the first four albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: July 04, 2019, 06:41:27 PM »
One of the things that held me back on BG was Hansi's voice. I don't know. It kind of grated on me. But It was important to start from the beginning, to hear him grow into his voice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »

Promising to be one of the most ambitious projects in metal history, BLIND GUARDIAN’s upcoming release will be well worth the wait. The idea of recording an orchestral album originally formed in the minds of the two leading lights of the BLIND GUARDIAN universe - guitarist André Olbrich and singer Hansi Kürsch - during the 1990s when BLIND GUARDIAN started to use orchestral elements to enhance their opulent sound.
Today, they reveal the album's amazing cover artwork, which was created by the renowned artist Gyula Havancsák.

Hansi Kürsch comments: "The cover artwork by Gyula Havancsák just perfectly fits our upcoming project and I think it's a true masterpiece. Gulya's love for details is incredible and his ability to see behind complex stories and reproduce them in art is amazing. We are more than happy since he could absolutely capture the monumental atmosphere of the music. Literally a perfect match!"

On July 19th the pre-orders for the upcoming album "The Legacy Of The Dark Lands" will kick off.

In recent years the giant project started to take shape, and parallel to its epic sound cascades, the lyrical concept was developed. For this, BLIND GUARDIAN was able to find support in German bestselling author Markus Heitz, whose latest novel “Die Dunklen Lande” was released on March 1rst 2019. The book is set in 1629 and contains the prequel to BLIND GUARDIAN’s opus “Legacy Of The Dark Lands”, which will be released November 1st.

Watch the short trailer, to get a first impression of the album: https://youtu.be/PW8zzTlp03I

The Novel “Die Dunklen Lande” is available starting today.
Visit: http://nblast.de/BGLegacyOfTheDarkLands

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
So....The Astonishing?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
So....The Astonishing?

No, not even close. This is an orchestral album.

Side note: I love Gyula's art. He is a gifted artist and has worked with tons of bands. He did the art to Wintersun's The Forest Seasons, and Stratovarius's last 5 albums, among plenty of others. And he has more variety than Felipe Machado Franco, who I like, but has the most predictable template and color palette choices ever.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
So....The Astonishing?

No. Not even close. This is an orchestral album.

Side note: I love Gyula's art. He is a gifted artist and has worked with tons of bands. He did the art to Wintersun's The Forest Seasons, and Stratovarius's last 5 albums, among plenty of others. And he has more variety than Felipe Machado Franco, who I like, but has the most predictable template and color palette choices ever.

You need some artwork for a new album? Well I've got that brand new, innovative blue/red color palette for you!

Also the second half of the year is suddenly quite exciting, release-wise. This, IQ, iamthemorning, Opeth, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting right now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
For me I got Blind Guardian, IQ, Opeth, Fairyland, Sonata Arctica, maybe Dragonforce, and maybe iamthemorning (a group I'm interested in but not technically a fan of). And maybe more I'm forgetting. So yeah, second half of 2019 is looking dope for me too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
So....The Astonishing?

I'm kidding of course.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
So....The Astonishing?

I'm kidding of course.

I can rarely tell when you're joking because you're so out of the loop with media  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »
That's no joke, Brother. :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »
For me I got Blind Guardian, IQ, Opeth, Fairyland, Sonata Arctica, maybe Dragonforce, and maybe iamthemorning (a group I'm interested in but not technically a fan of). And maybe more I'm forgetting. So yeah, second half of 2019 is looking dope for me too.

I can't believe how uninterested I am in Sonata Arctica. I have no desire to even check out the next single, whenever that's out.

I'm also pretty sure Tim loves The Astonishing.

Also just remembered: new Vanden Plas is out soon too. Holy shit I'm excited as fuck for that. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: July 10, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
Crap there's VP too! This world has too many bands and not enough hours in the day  :facepalm:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #589 on: July 10, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
I waited so long for this album that it doesn't even seem real that it's actually coming  :lol it's weird if I have no anticipation at all for it when I've waited 20 years for it? I mean, it's good that it's coming, when it's gonna be here, I'll listen to it, heck, I'll probably blindly buy it because Blind Guardian are a "take my money first, hear later" kind of band for me, but after 20 years I'm not gonna count the weeks and the days and the minutes.

When it will be out, it will be out.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #590 on: July 10, 2019, 06:55:04 PM »
I have no idea what to expect anymore. The album cover looks pretty good. Clearly a modern epic metal cover, but thay is not a bad thing.

Not likely that I will read it, but I hope the novel is good/competent. Having a professional fantasy writer involved hopefully means the concept is well done.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #591 on: July 19, 2019, 07:01:35 AM »
Tracklist!!! Double CD!

01. 1618 Ouverture
02. The Gathering
03. War Feeds War
04. Comets And Prophecies
05. Dark Cloud’s Rising
06. The Ritual
07. In The Underworld
08. A Secret Society
09. The Great Ordeal
10. Bez
11. In The Red Dwarf’s Tower
12. Into The Battle
13. Treason
14. Between The Realms
15. Point Of No Return
16. The White Horseman
17. Nephilim
18. Trial And Coronation
19. Harvester Of Souls
20. Conquest Is Over
21. This Storm
22. The Great Assault
23. Beyond The Wall
24. A New Beginning
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: July 19, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »
Hopefully has far less filler than Nightfall in Middle-Tier BG :P

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #593 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »
http://bravewords.com/news/blind-guardian-s-twilight-orchestra-legacy-of-the-dark-lands-album-tracklisting-formats-revealed-new-video-trailer-streaming

Formats:

- 2CD Digipak
- 2LP Gatefold (different colours)
- 3CD Comic book (album, instrumental, no interludes version)
- 4CD Comic book (album, instrumental, no interludes version, audiobook)
- 5LP BOX (Album 2LP, Instrumental 2LP, Audiobook LP)

There is a trailer in the link too with some background.

EDIT: Great news for Kat, the narrators from Nightfall are back!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »
 :lol

My, this is sounding epic. Can't wait.