Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 82066 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 2 - let the typing begin
« Reply #560 on: September 29, 2015, 04:24:51 AM »
I sent something with bad vocals though
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: September 29, 2015, 05:17:01 AM »
My song could be a number of those.  The vocalist in mine isn't what he use to be and takes a much different approach these days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: September 29, 2015, 06:15:57 AM »
Ok... once again, I'm going to post rankings later this afternoon as the middle bunch is really stacked together.  Here's the lay of the land - this time REALLY in alphabetical order.

Bolsters - Killswitch Engage / My Curse (Rank = 3)
First thought was … hhmmm never expected someone to send this, and I've always written these guys off given the company they're often lumped in with (Lamb of God, Slipknot, 5 Finger Death Punch and the like).  The opening pleasantly surprised me (reminded me a lot of a song YBS gave me in my first roulette - Live in Love by Times of Grace), and had me optimistic for what this might be like… then came the Howard Jones' vocals.  The initial scream was decent, but much of what followed was too much like shouting - didn't really sound like singing to me.  His clean vocals were decent, but nothing overly impressive.  Great guitar riffage and tone (again, very similar to that Times of Grace song) kept me listening.  The music was pretty good, but couldn't compensate for most of the vocal delivery. I didn't mind the outro, which was like a dual of of clean-vs-scream.  I appreciate the risk taking - and it almost paid off.  It's possible you will get lucky with the ranking due to the relative performance of this round.

Big Hath - Alter Bridge / Blackbird (Rank = 7)
God, I hope this isn’t one of the universally cherished Alter Bridge tunes.  For the first three times that I spun my Roulette playlist, this never left any kind of impression - good or bad. I spin the songs during work, so it's not always a dedicated listen.  But I couldn’t remember a damned thing about this.  Not sure whether that’s good or bad for your ranking.  Upon dedicated listens, it was a very enjoyable track.  The main guitar riff makes it feel a little too heavy to really be a ballad, but I hear where you’re coming from.  Pace, volume and feel flows up and down to work that ballad-y feel - and of course, a very well crafted solo completes the power ballad recipe.

bl5150 - Robby Valentine / Overture  (Rank = 1.5)
This starts with a slow piano entry that builds the mood.  Vocally, there seemed to be a struggle in the high range, and he lost all of his power, sounding like a pre-pubescent teenage boy.  The guitar solo was the only redeeming quality in the first 4 1/2 minutes.  Part two at the 4 1/2 minute mark transitions to provide some very good vocal melodies and harmonies, but it feels like I've heard this before - oh yes, I have… Expedition Delta/Asunder Hearts - the pace, vocal melodies, structure, keyboard lead-in with some guitar arpeggio’s, and rhythm section all mimic each other… the similarities were uncanny - with the difference being that I enjoy the vocal harmonies in Asunder Hearts a little more.  Now, don’t call me out on the technicality that this song was released 20 years before Asunder Hearts… I heard Asunder Hearts first, so this sounds like the clone :lol .  Part 2 of the song was much more appealing, but alas, it ended, and the final 3 minutes brought back all the elements that I didn’t like - despite the obvious Queen nod and influence.

So it was probably a good call to submit your tag-team song this round ….

bl5150 - Millienium / Hourglass (Rank = 10)
Well shit… it's Jorn, so immediately it's at least in the 'very good’ ballpark.  The chorus absolutely rocked it, but I would expect nothing less.  Jorn was my first introduction to the modern 'raspy' vocal style that I love - Kelly Carpenter, Rick Altzi, many others scratch me right where I itch a lot of the time when I reach for some solid melodic metal.  The vocals in the outro were kinda bland though - Jorn was a little... I dunno ... depressing?  Didn't seem to fit with the overall feel of the song first 5 minutes of the song.  Still, better than the Valentine track.

Evermind - Mark Knopfler / Dream of the Drowned Submariner (Rank = 4)
Folk huh?  Ok, I can dig some folk every now an then - Spirit of the West made my Top 50.  This has a nice acoustic start, though I wasn't too keen of Knopfler's voice, but regardless, he gives a really nice delivery.  The tune didn't overstay its welcome, as I was afraid it would.  I like some folksy tunes, but the hit and miss ratio is largely skewed to the 'miss'.  I sense this is the kind of song that will improve with age, and every listen.  Sadly, not built for a roulette.  I'll keep it, and come back to it surely.

jjrock88 - M.A.R.S. / Nostradamus (Rank = 5)
Really enjoyed the almost 2 minute keyboard setup… delivering a rich full, almost church-like organ sound.  The rest of the song was, for the most part, really good.  Yet again though, the very aged production makes me have to put a bit of unwanted effort just to listen past the production to try and appreciate the music.  The song itself brought great metal riffs, and an excellent guitar solo - though what else would you expect with MacAlpine on the axe?  With the lineup here (MacAlpine/Aldridge/Rock/Sarzo), I think I may have been expecting a little more.  Rock’s voice didn’t do much for me.  The ARP albums he fronted are my least favorite from ARP, though I did like the latest Impelliteri album, so I dunno what gives.

Lowdz - Serpentine / Season of the Witch  (Rank = 9)
More melodic metal… seems to be the theme of the round.  The song leads with an excellent starting staccato from all band-mates, and a decent little scream… and I do mean little - he could’ve put a bit more effort into that I’m sure  :D.  Vocally, it was not very dynamic… very little range - sounds very Gary Hughes-ish, but what range he did have was pretty good.  It seems that Tony Mills used to be the lead singer of Serpentine, but not on this track/album - you may have fared even better with something he contributed on, as I loved the stuff I've heard of him (thanks to Brent).  I think this song benefitted most from the relative weakness of this round.  This was a good track, that might’ve ranked in the middle or bottom tier last round, but was one of the better tracks this round.

Mystery Machine - Hibria / Tiger Punch  (Rank = 11)
Excellent melodic/power metal, utilizing a double bass kick just the way I like it.  This Brazilian act has six albums out!?  WTH?  Never heard of them, and this vocalist was right in that Jorn/Altzi style of the clean yet aggressive vocals that I love.  What a frantic intro, and it never lets up.  The chorus turned into quite the ear worm this week - and in a good way.  Man those Brazillians know how to rock it.  So, Mystery is following the Star Trek movie approach where the odd rounds suck; the even rounds kill it.  So here, let me give you your “boohah” back.

senecadawg2 - Ascendia / Remember Me (Rank = 6)
Leading with a band that I’m gonna see at PPUSA next year, I was really optimistic - Canadian too.  What this was turned out to be some great music, but vocally was kinda uneventful.  It was the sonic equivalent of a soda cracker, and kinda pissed me off because the music was so good.  Would his range be described as bing a tenor?  Man he was low in the register.  I can hear the talent in his voice, but it just didn’t click with me.  Reminded me of Eric Clayton (Reason in The Human Equation).  I loved him in moderation, but when I checked out his main band, Saviour Machine, I couldn’t take him as the full-time vocalist.  I think this song suffers from that same fate… if there was something else in there (female perhaps) to mix it up, I’d find more appeal in it.

TAC - The Sacrificed / 24  (Rank = 2)
Nice headbanging riff with some little wanky licks and fills for variation.  Vocally, the range was pretty narrow, which hindered my overall appreciation.  Now, I’m not going to drop as huge of a turd all over this like Brent did, as it gave me all the same sensations the first time I heard early Metallica - you can clearly hear the influences there.  I will agree with Brent on one thing though, the chorus sucked, and the musical wankfest left little to be desired.  The guitar solo itself was good, but at that point, the rest of the band was just a wall of noise, and not in the good Devin Townsend kinda way.  And the guitar unisons on the outro were like nails on a chalkboard.  Ok, I guess I am dropping as big a turd on this.  The more I listened to it, the more I disliked it.  :dunno:

wolfking - Almah / Trace of Trait (Rank = 8)
Well, of course the vocals have a familiar feel (Edu from Angra for those that don’t bother to check).  Good melodic metal, great drum work.  The screams and growls here are used appropriately, and in tasteful moderation, but I still would’ve been fine without them.  Nice melodic solo with a little taste of shred as it wraps up.  Good diversity in the guitar tone as well - from heavy/crunchy, to the softer feel you'd expect in a traditional melodic style.  Unlike Brent, I also loved the first 30 seconds.

Zook - A Perfect Circle / The Noose  (Rank = 1)
Well, you called it.  Given the list of artists that Spotify calls “related” (Deftones, Godsmack, Disturbed, Tool), I don’t have a single one of them in my library, or any desire to change that.  This one had a moody grunge feel that isn't totally unappealing, but I wasn't much of a fan of that style 20 years ago when it was in vogue, and only a select few songs from that era appeal to me.

Rankings later this afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:39:35 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 2 - read it and weep
« Reply #563 on: September 29, 2015, 06:24:16 AM »
I'll go gentler on you, k?

:hug:

Mr TAC's reaction to that............ :lol

Oh........and today's letter "O" comes after "I" and "L" :neverusethis:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:33:23 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »

Oh........and today's letter O comes after I and L :neverusethis:

Oh, ffs!  :zeltar:

Close enough!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: September 29, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »
Good excuse to post Mr Tater Head anyway  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: September 29, 2015, 06:36:02 AM »
Good excuse to post Mr Tater Head anyway  ;D

You worry about making your own posts accurate - that gif ain't showing up properly.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: September 29, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
Shows up fine here.  Must be a Canadian issue.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #568 on: September 29, 2015, 06:37:34 AM »
Bolsters - Killswitch Engage / My Curse
First thought was … hhmmm never expected someone to send this
I never would have guessed that comment related to my entry, because I'd never associate Killswitch Engage with any of those other acts stylistically. :lol A Perfect Circle seemed like the one furthest outside your comfort zone which is why I thought it was about The Noose. And totally fair assessment of the vocals in this song - I knew when sending that most of the vox would not float your boat, it was just a matter of seeing where on the scale between tolerable and intolerable you would place them.

Oh........and today's letter "O" comes after "I" and "L" :neverusethis:
:rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #569 on: September 29, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »
I should've sent Hibria in the first round, like I was debating.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 29, 2015, 06:47:30 AM »
Round 3 sent

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: September 29, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »
I should've sent Hibria in the first round, like I was debating.
I had Hibria up for the next round. Also had Alterbridge.

I went 0-2 with that song.  :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: September 29, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
Well, damn.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #575 on: September 29, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
Scratch a coupl eof other bands that were on my list to send. Glad you liked th etrack - its a fine album but very Ten-ish.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Bolsters - Killswitch Engage / My Curse
First thought was … hhmmm never expected someone to send this
I never would have guessed that comment related to my entry, because I'd never associate Killswitch Engage with any of those other acts stylistically. :lol A Perfect Circle seemed like the one furthest outside your comfort zone which is why I thought it was about The Noose. And totally fair assessment of the vocals in this song - I knew when sending that most of the vox would not float your boat, it was just a matter of seeing where on the scale between tolerable and intolerable you would place them.

The acts that I rhymed off are what Spotify lists as a few of the "Related Artists" to Killswitch Engage.  As for where I place them on the in/tolerable scale... probably right in the middle, or leaning a little towards "tolerable".

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 29, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
Fuck this was hard to come up with final rankings.  Only one of you made it easy

Mystery - 11

Then things got lumped into one of three tiers - really good/enjoyable/decent, and the rankings were of the narrowest of margins

Good:
bl5150 - 10
Lowdz - 9
wolfking - 8

Enjoyable:
Big Hath - 7
Senecadawg - 6
jjrock - 5

Decent:
Evermind - 4
Bolsters - 3
TAC - 2
<insert Brent's alternate submission here>
Zook - 1

Standings after two rounds:
wolfking - 19
bl5150 - 14
Big Hath - 14
Evermind - 14
Mystery Machine - 12
Lowdz - 12
TAC - 11
jjrock88 - 10
Bolsters - 9
Zook - 9
senecadawg2 - 8

I'll update the OP with banned bands, and the above writeups with scores.  I'm traveling for the next two days - with a surprise DTF meetup - so listening will commence Friday morning.  Get your songs in.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 2 - read it and weep + rankings
« Reply #578 on: September 29, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
Alright then, four isn't that bad actually. Got some songs lined up for the next round, will send either today or tomorrow.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #579 on: September 29, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
I can work with a six. It's just not going to cut it when I started out in the back of the pack. Hopefully round 3 will see more success.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
Sent some unknown female-fronted symphonic metal. Hopefully this will get me more than four points.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: September 29, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
Solid round.

Can't believe Bolsters sent Killswitch Engage.

I was actually thinking about using that Millenium song too at some stage.  :facepalm:

The Perfect Circle score is a little harsh, but can see how it wouldn't appeal.

This Hibria band sounds interesting too.

Will send tonight.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #582 on: September 29, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
I'll take a 9 after the poor first round.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
I'll take a 9 after the poor first round.

That Serpentine was a really good album too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: September 29, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

Sadly, someone's gotta get a 1, and a 2, and a 3 ...

Theme of the roulette... you can't please all of the people, all of the time - including me.   :xbones

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: September 29, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »

Sadly, someone's gotta get a 1, and a 2, and a 3 ...

Theme of the roulette... you can't please all of the people, all of the time - including me.   :xbones

Oh yeah you're right.  that totally slipped my mind this round.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: September 29, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Interesting re Hibria - I have that album and never considered it .  it's a good mix of power-prog and classic metal style, although the singer isn't unlike Rob Rock :lol

Anyway...........

And it sounds like I cock blocked Paul , Ruslan and Kade with Millenium......bonus point  :lol
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:05:10 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #587 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
I love Hibria.

Oh well..

Sent the next round. Hopefully I get a better score. This was a rough week for roulettes! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #588 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
I sent something risky. Can't get any lower than I am now anyways...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
3? Well shit. :'( Unfortunately, my next song probably isn't going to do any better.

Sent some unknown female-fronted symphonic metal. Hopefully this will get me more than four points.
I hope it's not one of the two I intended to send later (but with all the toe-stepping we've seen in this roulette so far, it probably is :rollin).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:58:25 PM by Bolsters »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: September 30, 2015, 06:28:06 AM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: September 30, 2015, 07:00:55 AM »
Only one rejection so far - and probably more a result of me typo'g the band name on the OP.  Just waiting on 3 people - but no rush, as I said, I'm leaving for business this afternoon, and the listening won't start until Friday morning.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »
Got this from Mystery yesterday:

Cock blocked a couple of ya. I'm back too, BABY.  Guess it's time for my Star Trek V: The Final Frontier submission  :D.

Well Mystery, you get all tough when you nail it, but slink away with your shyte submissions.  Be a man, own the good with the bad.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #593 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
Will send something this evening. Got a couple of ideas to choose between. Need another great round.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: October 01, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
Will send something this evening. Got a couple of ideas to choose between. Need another great round.

Looking forward to it.  Also, Zook... you still in this, or are you pulling the ripcord?  Still need yours.

Lastly, had a question today over email about whether scores/rankings are going to be reset for the final 3 or 4.  The answer is no... There will be some kind of consideration for how the finalists performed in the main 7 rounds.  I don't know exactly how just yet - I have a couple of ideas.  Basically, I want to reward those that did better than others, but still leave it possible for any of the finalists to win.  Last time around, it was difficult for anyone to over-take Paul in the finals - he would have had to totally shit the bed to lose.  I hope to make it a little more viable for anyone to win this time.