Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 95872 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #770 on: April 07, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
Yeah, he's been pretty solid considering the turd he laid against Chicago a few nights ago.  And this period too.

Tick-tock.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: April 07, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
In the famous words of Gorilla Monsoon... stick a fork in 'em, they're done.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #772 on: April 07, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
Best of luck to all your teams gents......gonna be rooting for the Leafs to make some noise!

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #773 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
Losing Tarasenko early in the game sure didn't help, but the Blues lost 5 of their last 6.  It was there for the taking and they blew it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: April 07, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »
Losing Tarasenko early in the game sure didn't help, but the Blues lost 5 of their last 6.  It was there for the taking and they blew it.

8.5 seconds.  That was the the difference.  I'm sure Keith is gonna take some satisfaction from that all summer.

Too little, too late.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #775 on: April 07, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
Actually, getting a point against Chicago Wednesday would have ended up not mattering.  The Avs would have still gotten the playoff spot based on the 4th tiebreaker.  Now, had we won in OT Wednesday...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2018, 10:08:23 PM »
Both the Kings and Sharks are crapping a turd tonight when they've both got a shot to take #2 with a win.

The only other thing to be decided is the Atlantic/East #1 seed.  I'm really torn about who I'd rather see the Leafs play.  I'm sure Boston would rather play the Devils vs the Leafs, so they'll be playing hard tomorrow, and Florida has nothing on the line.

Classy opening at Winnipeg, and both teams wearing Broncos on their jerseys.   :'( :'(  Many tears shed tonight - all day really.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2018, 11:46:38 PM »
Darren Pang is great, but he was a total homer on that one.  It was very close, but I don't think you could say 100% that it was offsides, so that call on the ice has to stand.  The bottom line is that the Avs look like a team that wants to make the playoffs, and the Blues look ready to go home.

You’re insane. That was 100% offside. Clear white between puck and line. Horrid call in a game like this.

Up until that point Blues had the momentum in the period. That changed everything.

:lol You might need a new TV or new glasses if you think that was offside.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
Darren Pang is great, but he was a total homer on that one.  It was very close, but I don't think you could say 100% that it was offsides, so that call on the ice has to stand.  The bottom line is that the Avs look like a team that wants to make the playoffs, and the Blues look ready to go home.

You’re insane. That was 100% offside. Clear white between puck and line. Horrid call in a game like this.

Up until that point Blues had the momentum in the period. That changed everything.

:lol You might need a new TV or new glasses if you think that was offside.

Nope and nope....

It was clear on every replay they used that puck came out. The call completely reversed the momentum of that period, of which the Blues had came out and were controlling for the first six minutes. It's their fault for taking a tripping penalty...but still, that BS non off sides call leads to a goal and from that point on Colorado was in control.

The Blues don't / didn't deserve a trip to the playoffs....I'm not arguing that. But to try and say that play wasn't off sides is just not true. It was and it's baffling how Toronto made that call.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
Considering how long the review took, Stan Kroenke probably called Toronto and threw his weight around to get the call to stick, just to stick it to St Louis one last time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: April 08, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
Considering how long the review took, Stan Kroenke probably called Toronto and threw his weight around to get the call to stick, just to stick it to St Louis one last time.

Ha!

I’m convinced it goes back to the game six months when they called the AV’s guy offside and dis-allowed that goal.....then came out the next day and said the goal should have counted.

Whatever it was it was the wrong call. Period. It’s clearly offside. It was clear to everyone, including the Colorado players who saw it on the bench and were seen mouthing to one another...”it’s offsides”

Changed the whole momentum of the game, but...it also made sure the team with the best chance to upset Nashville will play them. StL would have gotten waxed by the Preds and Colorado might....but at least Colorado has an outside shot at beating them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: April 08, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Tarasenko's arm was in a sling after the game, and Yeo said it would have been a long term injury, so he likely doesn't play in the first round anyway.  And they said Allen pulled his hamstring, which is why he looked to be in such discomfort for the latter part of the game (why the hell did he keep playing??).  It would have been really ugly.  Missing the playoffs is better than getting swept by those buttheads in Nashville.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #783 on: April 08, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »
Bruins WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
It's on like Donkey-fuking-Kong.

The Leafs and the Bruins were the only two teams with three 30-goal scorers.
The Leafs/Wild/Preds were the only three teams with two 50-point D-men
The Leafs PP has been clipping along at almost 50% for the last 5 weeks.
The Leafs were tied for 2nd in the league in total goals; Marner (top point getter) was 37th in the league in scoring.  How's that for a balanced offense?

The Bruins have just as many glowing stats as well, considering how many man-games they lost to injury, it's f'n impressive they were even in the playoff race, let alone 1 game from the Eastern title.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »
#anyonebutPreds

Looks to be some good Hockey coming up.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #786 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
Let's go Tampa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:39 AM »
Bruins WTF??

Yup.  You can't show up the last 20 minutes and expect to win.  Such a poor performance when the #1 seed is attainable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
Really looking forward to the first round Pens and Flyers matchup!  :metal

Offline romdrums

« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
I have no idea who I want to root for in the playoffs this year, with the exception of the Bruins, the Ducks, and the Penguins.  I hope they get destroyed in the first round. 

Being a Wings fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Yzerman get his first Stanley Cup as GM.  I'd be happy if Babcock brought the Cup back to Toronto.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Petr Mrazek lead the Flyers to the Conference Final so the Wings get a 2nd round pick in the draft this year.  As a hockey fan, I hope Ovi gets past the second round.  Flyers need to do their part and take out the defending champs.

Out West, I can get behind Nashville and Winnipeg, but it's too bad one of those teams is gone by the end of the second round.  The NHL needs to scrap the division playoff format. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
^ Bro, it's okay - you can root for the Pens.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
I'm team Leafs. I empathize with the pangs of no championship in 51 years. And, I think that they have the team that could pull it off this playoffs. A bunch of good teams in it....but should they play their game they'll but just as tough to beat as any other team out there.

#anyonebutPreds

Offline romdrums

« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »
^ Bro, it's okay - you can root for the Pens.

No! Never! 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #793 on: April 09, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Out West, I can get behind Nashville and Winnipeg, but it's too bad one of those teams is gone by the end of the second round.  The NHL needs to scrap the division playoff format.

Yeah... I see pros and cons to the divisional format.  I could swing either way with going back to the re-seeding after round 1, or leaving it as is.  I don't think that the current divisional rivalries are like they were back in the 21-team days with the Smythe, Patrick, Adams and Norris divisions.  THOSE were rivalries.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »
I'm team Leafs. I empathize with the pangs of no championship in 51 years. And, I think that they have the team that could pull it off this playoffs. A bunch of good teams in it....but should they play their game they'll but just as tough to beat as any other team out there.

#anyonebutPreds

You are now my enemy. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »

Yeah... I see pros and cons to the divisional format.  I could swing either way with going back to the re-seeding after round 1, or leaving it as is.  I don't think that the current divisional rivalries are like they were back in the 21-team days with the Smythe, Patrick, Adams and Norris divisions.  THOSE were rivalries.

Especially in the Norris Division.  Bloodbaths!

I think the current divisions are too big to create any meaningful rivalries, and I really miss the Red Wings playing in the Western Conference.  I could give a rat's ass about playing Buffalo, Ottawa and Florida.  Yawn!  I'd much rather see the Blackhawks, Blues, Preds and Jets.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »

#anyonebutPreds

I like Boston a lot. I just have to throw my support behind a team and fan base who has suffered as much as the Blues. But I'll contend every day of the week and twice on Sunday's that the Blues are far more brutal to their fan base as far as disappointment  :lol 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »

#anyonebutPreds

Don't sweat it Gary.  He's fresh of the DL... we can take him - with or without TAC.  I mean, how tough can a Disney fanboi really be?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #799 on: April 09, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »

I generally agree, but I would say the Pacific Division rivalries are as strong as they ever were, if not stronger.  Of course, part of that is a result of the addition of natural rivals for the Kings in Anaheim and San Jose.  Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver had strong geographic rivalries, and rivalries developed with the Kings as a result of numerous playoff battles.  Anyway...

Kings gagged away an opportunity for a better seed on Saturday, so we're off to play Vegas in their first ever playoff series.  I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this match up (as opposed to a match up against Anaheim or San Jose).  I think, however, the Kings' playoff experience will help a lot, although guys like Fleury and Neal also have tons of playoff experience.  Should be a good series.

My assumption is that the Anaheim v. San Jose series will go 6 or 7 games and will leave whichever team that wins in a vulnerable position going into the second round.

I don't see Colorado having a chance against Nashville, and I think Minnesota v. Winnipeg will a relatively short series, but I'm not sure who wins.  For whatever reason, it feels like a series that will go 5 games, but with every game being a one goal game and at least 2-3 games going OT.

I don't have a strong feel for the Eastern Conference series, but I assume Boston v. Toronto will be a bloodbath.  Pittsburgh v. Philly should be good, but I have a hard time believing the Flyers can hang with the Penguins.  Caps should dispatch CBJ pretty easily, which means we'll get the usual Pittsburgh v. Washington series in the second round.  Likewise, I expect Tampa Bay will destroy Jersey.

The first round is always a blast.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: April 09, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »

#anyonebutPreds

Don't sweat it Gary.  He's fresh of the DL... we can take him - with or without TAC.  I mean, how tough can a Disney fanboi really be?

*Looks for his McQuaid  sweater*

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: April 09, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
I don't see Colorado having a chance against Nashville

While I agree if you compare their seasons and success this series should be a no brainer.....I also believe that Colorado has the quickness and players to pull off the upset. President Trophy winners have historically had issues in the playoffs and the Preds have ALL the pressure of winning this series AND the Cup. Colorado has zero pressure at all and they have nothing to lose. Although this should be a slam dunk for Nashville it wouldn't surprise me if  Colorado threw together a great series and upset them.

At least....that's what I'll be sacrificing my neighborhood stray cats for.

#anyonebutPreds

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
NEVER write anyone off ... especially before a single puck has dropped.  I remember back in the 2001 playoffs, Leafs vs Sens in round 1.  Sens had a 20 point advantage in the regular season over the Leafs.  A lot of the Toronto media were predicting Sens in 3  :lol

The Leafs swept the Sens.

This millenium, 5 President's winners have lost in the 1st round; 4 more have lost in the 2nd round.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #803 on: April 09, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »
NEVER write anyone off ... especially before a single puck has dropped.  I remember back in the 2001 playoffs, Leafs vs Sens in round 1.  Sens had a 20 point advantage in the regular season over the Leafs.  A lot of the Toronto media were predicting Sens in 3  :lol

The Leafs swept the Sens.

This millenium, 5 President's winners have lost in the 1st round; 4 more have lost in the 2nd round.

I get what you're saying, but at even money you're either a Colorado homer, Nashville hater, or downright fool to bet on the Avalanche at even money.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #804 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
I don't see Colorado having a chance against Nashville

While I agree if you compare their seasons and success this series should be a no brainer.....I also believe that Colorado has the quickness and players to pull off the upset. President Trophy winners have historically had issues in the playoffs and the Preds have ALL the pressure of winning this series AND the Cup. Colorado has zero pressure at all and they have nothing to lose. Although this should be a slam dunk for Nashville it wouldn't surprise me if  Colorado threw together a great series and upset them.

The President's Trophy has been awarded 32 times (starting with the 1985-86 season and including the current season).  The winner has won the Cup 25% of the time (most recently the 2013 Blackhawks).  It was really just the stretch from 2006-2012, when four of the seven winners lost in the first round of the playoffs, that gave rise to the theory that winners have a difficult time in the Playoffs.  Also, and for what it's worth, in the 18 post-expansion seasons before the introduction of the President's Trophy (1967-68 through 1984-85), the team with the best overall record won the Cup 11 times.

All that said, nothing that happens in the first round should be truly surprising to anyone, and I don't disagree that Colorado is a dangerous team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung