Poll

what is the first thing you pay attention to when listening to a new DT record?

drums
13 (9.1%)
guitar
23 (16.1%)
keys
2 (1.4%)
bass
4 (2.8%)
vocals
12 (8.4%)
song
67 (46.9%)
lyrics
1 (0.7%)
devin townsend
21 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: what is the first thing you pay attention to when listening to a new DT record?  (Read 5696 times)

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
I guess vocals and vocal melodies.

I am the same. In fact, I'm such a vocals nut that to this day, there are still many, many songs where I haven't been able to listen to guitar, drums, bass or keys in depth because I cannot tear my ears away from James.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I try to concentrate on what every part is doing to bring the final sound to the table.

Offline John94

The melodies and the song atmosphere to get a real feel for the song. Then I will probably pay attention to James and get a feel of the lyrics and emotions, then musical madness.

Offline N4Player

I listen to how much pain and suffering JP is going to inflict on me when I learn to play the songs on guitar. Seriously though, being a guitarist makes it pretty hard to tell my ears what to do. Overall I just listen and wait for the moments or series of moments that tug at the soul and take it from there. When it comes to DT one listen can never cut it. I have learned that lesson the hard way by dismissing the band when I first heard I&W beginning to end. When I first BC&SL I was a little disappointed, after repeated listens it went on to become my favourite album. Just can't wait to start a new listening love affair with the next album.

Offline Millais

if i'm completely honest, the quality/mastering of the CD. previous offerings from DT have been compressed to hell and some of the songs are actually ruined by it! imo. if you want an album where every instrument stands out and the production/mastering is perfect - Ghost Reveries, Opeth.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

if i'm completely honest, the quality/mastering of the CD. previous offerings from DT have been compressed to hell and some of the songs are actually ruined by it! imo. if you want an album where every instrument stands out and the production/mastering is perfect - Ghost Reveries, Opeth.
Opeth in  general does a good job at mastering their cd's still life will always be my favorite but all their albums have a clear but eerie sound that makes them unique.

Offline fps

I listen to the vibe of each song, aggressive, soft etc, and what the production's like, the actual sonics of the thing, the mix.
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/
Like Clutch, Down, Alice In Chains? \m/

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Initially I focus on the entire arrangement.  Later, I focus on individual instruments.

Offline ddtonfire

None of the above: the overall sound of the record.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Why is Devin Townsend an option?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Maybe that's what DT really stands for.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

You should know by now that this forum is plagued with an almost unhealthy-non-manly love towards Devin Townsend
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR

You should know by now that this forum is plagued with an almost unhealthy-non-manly love towards Devin Townsend
Of course I know. I'm apart of that unhealthy completely homoerotic man love.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
Vocal melodies and lyrics.

They're maybe the most accessible part of any song, and they're what stand out to me on the first listen.  I've learned not to put too much stock in what I think of any DT album on that first listen, because it's the less easily accessible stuff that ultimately will decide whether I really dig a song or album.  In almost all cases, I wind up liking DT's stuff far more after 25 listens than I do after one.  The only exceptions to that have been WDaDU and ToT, for whatever reason.

Offline Lowdz

The song. Then I'll dissect it piece by piece, but as a gutar fan that's what I'm drawn to. The song is king though.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA

Of course I know. I'm apart of that unhealthy completely homoerotic man love.

Devin is always an option in any of my polls  because it's Devin, which doesn't have anything todo with homoerotic man love by any means.
and well .....i did on a humor base, like if you can't choose anything..i could also give an option none of they above...i preferred Devin in this case....
so it's all fun...
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild