Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 195063 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2730 on: February 28, 2022, 01:00:51 PM »
Okay, so how do I exercise? I hate exercise, don't really have time to join a gym since I work 50 or so hours a week, and just kind of want to wake up in shape.

So what's a way to start that won't immediately make it jump ship?
Deck of cards workouts. You can do it with just body weight exercises, it only takes 20-30 min, they're fantastically effective, can be done at your own pace, and they can be done in a very small space.

^ This is a good place to start.

Like I said, a few posts ago, I'm a big Athlean-X fan.  He's got lots of free videos, many are no weights / no equipment required (73 video playlist - Home Workouts & Bodyweight Exercises | No Gym)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2731 on: February 28, 2022, 01:01:10 PM »
I don’t usually divulge these numbers because they’re at “GODDAMN THAT’S A LOT” levels, but fuck it, I’m happy.

I started making fast progress, then hit a plateau and a minor backslide. Now I’m making progress again.

This time last year I weighed just over 460 pounds. At one point in quarantine I’m pretty sure the scales said 470, but that may have just been part of a normal fluctuation and is not what the doc weighed me at, so I don’t count that when tracking progress. Anyway, I lost a good amount of weight, got down to about 390, then the holidays hit and that’s when I plateaued. I got back up to 400 and that was just two weeks ago. I stepped on the scale, said “fuck that,” and now I’m down to 383 and going strong.

Tremendous work mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: February 28, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
Chad pimps the shit out if Athlean-X but I understand why.  His no bullshit approach to nutrition and training programs and vids are legit.  Knows his shit and a great channel.  Really backup his recommendation.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2733 on: February 28, 2022, 01:08:39 PM »
Chad pimps the shit out if Athlean-X but I understand why.  His no bullshit approach to nutrition and training programs and vids are legit.  Knows his shit and a great channel.  Really backup his recommendation.

If only I was paid commissions on his subscribers! 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: February 28, 2022, 01:24:35 PM »

If only I was paid commissions on his subscribers!

Haha, you'd be close to retirement I reckon mate!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2735 on: March 04, 2022, 03:15:15 AM »
So, to start with sad news, fitness Youtuber Scott Murray passed away few days ago :'( Don't know his age but I think he was in early/mid 20s. I've been following him for a year for food hacks, filling recipes etc. We'll probably never know the real cause of his death but as look at the title and don't neglect rest/recovery. Yeah, exercise and stay healthy but don't neglect sleep and mental health as well.

Lately, I've been thinking about running my first half-marathon (in 35 days). I really enjoy the process, running 3 times a week, long runs are getting longer and it's actually fun. I like running at slow, steady pace more than running fast (that's how I injured myself last year :P ). Also there is organised 5K league in my city, starting next week, 1 race a week for 15 weeks, should be fun.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: March 04, 2022, 03:23:27 AM »
So, to start with sad news, fitness Youtuber Scott Murray passed away few days ago :'( Don't know his age but I think he was in early/mid 20s. I've been following him for a year for food hacks, filling recipes etc. We'll probably never know the real cause of his death but as look at the title and don't neglect rest/recovery. Yeah, exercise and stay healthy but don't neglect sleep and mental health as well.

Lately, I've been thinking about running my first half-marathon (in 35 days). I really enjoy the process, running 3 times a week, long runs are getting longer and it's actually fun. I like running at slow, steady pace more than running fast (that's how I injured myself last year :P ). Also there is organised 5K league in my city, starting next week, 1 race a week for 15 weeks, should be fun.

Fuck that's terrible, I've watched a few of his recipe vids, he was so young.

Nice work mate, go after it.  I'm hoping I can slowly get back into my running next week.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: March 04, 2022, 03:24:24 AM »
I've been just doing my weight sessions, no cardio for the last two weeks but holy fuck I'm getting knocked up.  I can push out similar weights but I'm getting so fatigued and the next day feel so drained and tired.  To be expected I guess but I'll keep going.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: March 16, 2022, 06:27:10 AM »
First time entering this thread, so I don't know if it's already been discussed but:

Every time when I've been out running I always get a headache the day after. It's almost like a light version of a hangover. I googled it today and apparently it has to do with not drinking enough water before and after my workout. Anyone else has this issue? I was out running a bit last night after work, and today when I woke up I had a headache and felt a bit "foggy" in the head - it's still not over yet after a few hours. I have high blood pressure, but I take meds for that. Could it be related?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: March 16, 2022, 06:54:07 AM »
Zydar. I think I'd be tempted to talk to my physician if I were you. Staying hydrated is certainly important, but your symptoms sounds worse.

Kade. I feel your pain, dude. At this point, I can only string together three, maybe four, days in a row of lifting before I need a couple days off to recuperate. I thought it was because I'm just getting back into it after years off (or perhaps because of my advancing years) but I guess getting knackered is more universal than I thought. I'm also considering that I just need more fuel. I may try replacing my protein intake from meats to vegetables and perhaps throw some more carbs in. I'm still eating a low carb diet (not actually keto) because of my A1C levels. That may be contributing to my tiredness.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2740 on: March 16, 2022, 07:00:01 AM »
Unless it was a rather long run,  and you were generally under hydrated all day, i agree with Podaar. Might be worth a visit to the doctor.  I would get light headed from time to time at the end of races due to slightly lower blood pressure, but these were marathons, so that's probably expected.

Kade, glad to see you're back running.  How'd it feel?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: March 16, 2022, 03:32:28 PM »
First time entering this thread, so I don't know if it's already been discussed but:

Every time when I've been out running I always get a headache the day after. It's almost like a light version of a hangover. I googled it today and apparently it has to do with not drinking enough water before and after my workout. Anyone else has this issue? I was out running a bit last night after work, and today when I woke up I had a headache and felt a bit "foggy" in the head - it's still not over yet after a few hours. I have high blood pressure, but I take meds for that. Could it be related?

What sort of distances are you running mate?  As the others have said, sounds a bit more than just the running.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2742 on: March 16, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »
Zydar. I think I'd be tempted to talk to my physician if I were you. Staying hydrated is certainly important, but your symptoms sounds worse.

Kade. I feel your pain, dude. At this point, I can only string together three, maybe four, days in a row of lifting before I need a couple days off to recuperate. I thought it was because I'm just getting back into it after years off (or perhaps because of my advancing years) but I guess getting knackered is more universal than I thought. I'm also considering that I just need more fuel. I may try replacing my protein intake from meats to vegetables and perhaps throw some more carbs in. I'm still eating a low carb diet (not actually keto) because of my A1C levels. That may be contributing to my tiredness.

Three to four days of lifting in a row mate is a solid effort, so I wouldn't be too worry about needing a day or two afterwards.  Getting back into the groove could definitely have something to do with it, but definitely lower carbs would play a factor, especially if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting.  I found that out the hard way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: March 16, 2022, 03:38:32 PM »
Unless it was a rather long run,  and you were generally under hydrated all day, i agree with Podaar. Might be worth a visit to the doctor.  I would get light headed from time to time at the end of races due to slightly lower blood pressure, but these were marathons, so that's probably expected.

Kade, glad to see you're back running.  How'd it feel?

Cardiovascular wise it felt good but my hip and ankle still played up a little during the run which resulted in the slower time and today both legs feel toasted!  A little bit annoying and the general tightness and soreness I have even after weeks of no running is a little concerning.  Must bite the bullet and go and see a physio.

I'll have today off and go again Friday or Saturday.  I need to take a gentle approach, not my David Goggins like approach and go hard everyday.  If I break it up, I should be able to slowly work back into a routine.  As I said, the insane hip and ankle tightness is insane and so persistent.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: March 16, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
Getting back into the groove could definitely have something to do with it, but definitely lower carbs would play a factor, especially if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting.  I found that out the hard way.

I'd say not heavy lifting. The first set I'll do 12 reps and try to do 12 in each subsequent set. If I make it all the way through 4 sets of 12 reps, I'll stack on more weight next time until I get form breakdown around 8 reps, and then stick with that until I can power through it...then I'll stack on more.

Any recommendations on clean carbs? I won't eat sugar, but I've been throwing in some rice and beans, maybe a little pasta once in a while.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: March 16, 2022, 04:06:51 PM »
I need to take a gentle approach, not my David Goggins like approach and go hard everyday.  If I break it up, I should be able to slowly work back into a routine. 

You and me both, brother.  Hoping to get back on the saddle before the end of the month.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2746 on: March 16, 2022, 04:09:58 PM »
Getting back into the groove could definitely have something to do with it, but definitely lower carbs would play a factor, especially if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting.  I found that out the hard way.

I'd say not heavy lifting. The first set I'll do 12 reps and try to do 12 in each subsequent set. If I make it all the way through 4 sets of 12 reps, I'll stack on more weight next time until I get form breakdown around 8 reps, and then stick with that until I can power through it...then I'll stack on more.

Any recommendations on clean carbs? I won't eat sugar, but I've been throwing in some rice and beans, maybe a little pasta once in a while.

That's still some nice volume mate.  Don't underestimate that.

Oats are my go to.  You can add some protein powder and peanut butter for an amazing meal.  It's almost a daily staple for me.

Rice is my other go to, as you mentioned.  I always opt for sweet potatoes too with meals.  So good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: March 16, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »
I need to take a gentle approach, not my David Goggins like approach and go hard everyday.  If I break it up, I should be able to slowly work back into a routine. 

You and me both, brother.  Hoping to get back on the saddle before the end of the month.

You can do it mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: March 16, 2022, 08:02:07 PM »
I love me a good bowl of proatmeal!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2749 on: March 17, 2022, 02:25:17 AM »
I might be a more flexible about eating than some of you :lol but my (almost) daily staple breakfast is oatmeal, dark chocolate, vanilla whey, blueberries and milk.

BTW that 5k running league started last week, today's second round. First round I run just how I hoped, in 28:12 (5:38 min/km or around 9 min/mile I guess). I'm training for my first half-marathon so I never run fast in training. Either way, If I feel good today I might try to go for a bit better result, 27:30 maybe.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2750 on: March 17, 2022, 04:49:12 AM »
I gotta read more of this thread and get motivated. I am in the worst shape i have ever been. If not for my physical job I don't think I would be moving at all lol.
And in 2 months I have my trip to the Adirondacks to bag some more peaks. I worry (but also look forward to  ;)) we will manage one mountain and spend the rest of the week in front of firepit and the many restaurants/bars in Lake Placid.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:59 AM »
I might be a more flexible about eating than some of you :lol but my (almost) daily staple breakfast is oatmeal, dark chocolate, vanilla whey, blueberries and milk.

BTW that 5k running league started last week, today's second round. First round I run just how I hoped, in 28:12 (5:38 min/km or around 9 min/mile I guess). I'm training for my first half-marathon so I never run fast in training. Either way, If I feel good today I might try to go for a bit better result, 27:30 maybe.

Aiming for 5 and a half minutes a km is a solid and impressive target mate.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2752 on: March 17, 2022, 05:22:32 AM »

For a 5k? Or did you mean a half marathon? My goal for a half is to finish it :lol
5k PR of mine is around 5:00 (from last year) but I was injured so I won't run fast too fast.

I gotta read more of this thread and get motivated. I am in the worst shape i have ever been. If not for my physical job I don't think I would be moving at all lol.
And in 2 months I have my trip to the Adirondacks to bag some more peaks. I worry (but also look forward to  ;)) we will manage one mountain and spend the rest of the week in front of firepit and the many restaurants/bars in Lake Placid.
I live in completely flat part of the country and since I lived in the hilly part for 15 years (and my family is there still) I miss some hills.

BTW there is an organised (virtual app) Wings for life run in my city. I might go, it's for a great cause, 100% of entry fee goes for spinal cord research. It's got an interesting format as well. No finish line, there is a catcher car.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:34:18 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2753 on: March 17, 2022, 06:51:56 AM »
I started out the year with a plan to lose my Covid 20... or more... and work on speed. So far I've lost 8lbs and went from 1230avg min per mi to 1130. That was the easy minute for me to do. Now its gonna get hard lol As I've gone through this process, I've kinda also added a goal to hit 1132 miles in a year - this would be an avg of a 5k a day. I've been hitting this already, just waiting to see how my body handles it. Might be a stupid idea lol

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2754 on: March 17, 2022, 02:51:41 PM »

For a 5k? Or did you mean a half marathon? My goal for a half is to finish it :lol
5k PR of mine is around 5:00 (from last year) but I was injured so I won't run fast too fast.

I live in completely flat part of the country and since I lived in the hilly part for 15 years (and my family is there still) I miss some hills.

BTW there is an organised (virtual app) Wings for life run in my city. I might go, it's for a great cause, 100% of entry fee goes for spinal cord research. It's got an interesting format as well. No finish line, there is a catcher car.

I live in Southern Ontario Canada. It is all flat. (outside of some great areas in the Niagara escarpment that runs all through southern ontario, but tis no mountains)
I love mountains, it's almost obsession. The Adis are the closest mountains that I can drive to in a day (8hr). Will be my 7th time going since I found out about them 11 years ago.  Fell in love with the area, and try to go annually. Covid cancelled that the last 2 years so i can't wait to get back.
So ya, got 2 months and try to get some hikes in around here and not make the week in mountains wasted because I am too out of shape.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: March 17, 2022, 03:07:43 PM »
I live in Southern Ontario Canada.

Whereabouts?  I'm in Fort Erie.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: March 17, 2022, 03:22:48 PM »
Yeah, a few carbs made a huge difference. Before my workout this morning I had coffee with two tablespoons of agave nectar, a half bagel with (avert your eyes Kade) half an avocado. I did 35 minutes of light cardio to warmup and my entire arms and shoulder routine. When I got home, I had a high fiber tortilla with two slices of pastrami and the other half of the avocado. All told, I probably had less than 60 g of carbs with approximately 15 g of fiber to offset it some.

My energy this afternoon is considerably better than my previous workout days! So mission accomplished.

I'm gonna splurge tomorrow and have a banana before heading to the gym. I haven't had a banana in two years! I'm looking forward to it.  :lol

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2757 on: March 17, 2022, 03:31:57 PM »
I live in Southern Ontario Canada.

Whereabouts?  I'm in Fort Erie.

Cambridge, after 25 years I moved a long long way from ... Kitchener lol. We pick at the Bruce Trail all the time. Usually always north. Milton to Collingwood and everything between. Bruce Penninsula usually on weekends where we book a camp site or motel for a night or 2.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: March 17, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »
Yeah, a few carbs made a huge difference. Before my workout this morning I had coffee with two tablespoons of agave nectar, a half bagel with (avert your eyes Kade) half an avocado. I did 35 minutes of light cardio to warmup and my entire arms and shoulder routine. When I got home, I had a high fiber tortilla with two slices of pastrami and the other half of the avocado. All told, I probably had less than 60 g of carbs with approximately 15 g of fiber to offset it some.

My energy this afternoon is considerably better than my previous workout days! So mission accomplished.

I'm gonna splurge tomorrow and have a banana before heading to the gym. I haven't had a banana in two years! I'm looking forward to it.  :lol

I didn't avert my eyes.....

Nice though mate, yeah a few extra carbs here and there can make a world of difference.  Just see how you go.  You can cut them back again and then just add a bit more extra in when you feel like you're struggling again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: March 17, 2022, 04:57:46 PM »

I meant as a general 5km time for say a 5km.  5 minutes flat is an awesome time though.  That became around my norm before I injured myself.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2760 on: March 18, 2022, 01:48:22 AM »
Tnx. I think it's fine but still room to improve.

To update: improved my 5k to 5:23 min/km actually. There were many great runners and they pulled me with them. I started fast and figured I can keep that pace up.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: March 18, 2022, 04:55:44 AM »
Tnx. I think it's fine but still room to improve.

To update: improved my 5k to 5:23 min/km actually. There were many great runners and they pulled me with them. I started fast and figured I can keep that pace up.

Solid mate.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: March 24, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
Had a good leg day at the gym this morning, and I also got the bonus workout of exercising my will!

The gym I go to is a community facility that is run by my local county. That means the patrons are primarily old men trying desperately to stave off crippling age, with the occasional middle-aged person going through the motions of shedding some unwanted weight. The room is never crowded and access to machines, or free-weights is pretty easy and chill.

This morning there was a young woman, mid-twenties, going through her weight training. She was fit and trim. Now, I'm a firm believer that anyone should be able to do their workout without having to get scrutinized by old assholes like me, but yoga pants on Yanet Garcia level trunk is a difficult thing to avert my eyes from. I think I did a good job of ignoring her and focusing on what I was doing, so I don't think I made her uncomfortable. When Mrs. P and I were leaving, she gave Mrs. P a nod in recognition so I'll take that as a good sign.

Two workouts in one!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: March 29, 2022, 10:21:28 AM »
Started to get back at it, and (piss me off), 2 months off really killed my gains.  I mean really.  I super-set'd pushups with Dumbbell Arnold Presses (20lbs).  Pushups weren't a problem, but on the 4th and final set of the presses, I was struggling.

Just trying to ease my way into an exercise routine... 10 mins stretching; 15-20 mins of lifting; 30 mins of cardio; 6-8 mins of abs.  I think I've got to give it a month or so before I get back into a real routine/program.

Glad to be back at it, but extremely disappointed I lapsed in the first place.   :-\

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: April 02, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »
Started to get back at it, and (piss me off), 2 months off really killed my gains.  I mean really.  I super-set'd pushups with Dumbbell Arnold Presses (20lbs).  Pushups weren't a problem, but on the 4th and final set of the presses, I was struggling.

Just trying to ease my way into an exercise routine... 10 mins stretching; 15-20 mins of lifting; 30 mins of cardio; 6-8 mins of abs.  I think I've got to give it a month or so before I get back into a real routine/program.

Glad to be back at it, but extremely disappointed I lapsed in the first place.   :-\

The more important thing is that you've kicked yourself up the ass and gotten back into it mate.  :tup