Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 195056 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. liftin' and losin'
« Reply #2030 on: October 28, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
Home from vacation! Now tomorrow morning I get to step on the scale for the first time in a week and see how badly I did while away.

Got to live a little while on vacation, don't let whatever you might have gained distract you from your goals.

The rolling of the ankle is a big reason why I don't run.  I have terrible ankles.  I'm flat footed and my ankles are double jointed (I can bend them naturally in ways they should not be bent) and it's lead to loose knees.  I've rolled my ankle and bent my knee sideways just from stumbling while walking many times, so even when I walk a trail, I'm pretty damn slow because I'm trying to keep balance and not trip up.

I've always been a bit gumby and my balance is shocking but with anything, you get better with practice.

Sure, but I don't think practice is going to fix my flat feet and naturally bad legs.  I have no doubt I'd get better with practice, but it's not worth the risk of a potential injury IMO that I almost feel is a guarantee if I started running trails. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2031 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Home from vacation! Now tomorrow morning I get to step on the scale for the first time in a week and see how badly I did while away.

Got to live a little while on vacation, don't let whatever you might have gained distract you from your goals.

The rolling of the ankle is a big reason why I don't run.  I have terrible ankles.  I'm flat footed and my ankles are double jointed (I can bend them naturally in ways they should not be bent) and it's lead to loose knees.  I've rolled my ankle and bent my knee sideways just from stumbling while walking many times, so even when I walk a trail, I'm pretty damn slow because I'm trying to keep balance and not trip up.

I've always been a bit gumby and my balance is shocking but with anything, you get better with practice.

Sure, but I don't think practice is going to fix my flat feet and naturally bad legs.  I have no doubt I'd get better with practice, but it's not worth the risk of a potential injury IMO that I almost feel is a guarantee if I started running trails.

Hey man, running is far from the 'end all, be all'...and it's certainly not for everyone. After all, the best exercise is that which you can do consistently injury-free.

To be honest, for my money, in terms of pure blood, sweat, and tears, nothing beats a quality rowing machine. Minute for minute, it's hands down the most ass-kicking workout I've ever entertained.

A rower is on my list for next year for sure.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2032 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
Machine wise I LOVE a quality stair master. Program a tiered workout for 45-60 minutes and you burn some calories. Back when I decided to lose weight the stair master at my gym was my go to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: October 28, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »

Hey man, running is far from the 'end all, be all'...and it's certainly not for everyone. After all, the best exercise is that which you can do consistently injury-free.

To be honest, for my money, in terms of pure blood, sweat, and tears, nothing beats a quality rowing machine. Minute for minute, it's hands down the most ass-kicking workout I've ever entertained.

A rower is on my list for next year for sure.

Did some rowing work last night to have a day off running.  It fucking kicked my ass.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: October 31, 2020, 01:31:05 AM »
I include little bits of trail running in my runs but it's still mostly road runs. I imagine trail running would be way more difficult than what I do now, haha. I'd love to do a complete trail run one day. I'll probably get to it next year.

Back at training in full force after a week break due to the business trip, 8.5 km today in 49 minutes. Getting closer to the 10k! I'm absolutely knackered now though. :lol

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2035 on: October 31, 2020, 05:53:07 AM »
Nice.  I'm about to do coffee-yoga.  Haven't done yoga in about 6 weeks ... maybe longer.  I really should try to squeeze it in more regularly, and with the current program I'm on, Saturday mornings just might be the perfect day to do it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline H2

« Reply #2036 on: October 31, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
First time touching a weight since March in the P90x chest/back workout. Where did all my strength go, lol? I could do 8 pullups only, then tanked after that and in every subsequent set. In March I was doing 45-lb weighted pullups for sets of 12. FML

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: October 31, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »
First time touching a weight since March in the P90x chest/back workout. Where did all my strength go, lol? I could do 8 pullups only, then tanked after that and in every subsequent set. In March I was doing 45-lb weighted pullups for sets of 12. FML

WOW!   :omg:  (on both counts - how strong you were, and how much you've lost in 6 months).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2038 on: October 31, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »

Over 6 months, I think that would be somewhat normal wouldn't it?  I wouldn't worry too much, you'll get back to those stats pretty quick mate.  Bloody impressive numbers you were doing too mate.

Offline H2

« Reply #2039 on: October 31, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »
Use it or lose it I guess, eh? But wolfie, you're right, I think I can get back in a short while. It's a lot easier to get back to where you once were if, well, you've been there, I have found. But I'll say, I lose strength sooo quickly if I'm not on it, especially if I'm focused on running or Insanity or another cardio program.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: October 31, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
Use it or lose it I guess, eh? But wolfie, you're right, I think I can get back in a short while. It's a lot easier to get back to where you once were if, well, you've been there, I have found. But I'll say, I lose strength sooo quickly if I'm not on it, especially if I'm focused on running or Insanity or another cardio program.

Nutrition too - overall, and even the day of.  I remember doing p90x Plyo routine once, and thinking 'man, this is a lot easier than it normally is', and then the very next week I was totally gassed doing it.  The only thing I could chalk it up to was the first instance, I'd had a huge lunch with lots of carbs and protein.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: November 01, 2020, 03:05:08 AM »

I'm finding out mate that concentrating on running will very much sacrifice the weight training.  I've been trying to find a balance between the two but trying to level out too much makes both suffer somewhat.  The last few weeks I've been trying to put my focus more on lifting and instantly my runs the last couple of weeks have suffered. 

I don't think you'll get back there all that quickly doing those other things mate.  My thinking is, if I'm excelling at one of them and not the other, than that's a good thing.  If both suffer, then that's an issue.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: November 01, 2020, 03:07:32 AM »
I include little bits of trail running in my runs but it's still mostly road runs. I imagine trail running would be way more difficult than what I do now, haha. I'd love to do a complete trail run one day. I'll probably get to it next year.

Back at training in full force after a week break due to the business trip, 8.5 km today in 49 minutes. Getting closer to the 10k! I'm absolutely knackered now though. :lol

Nice Ruslan.  I've been struggling with my runs the last couple of weeks.  I'm finding out how mental a lot of it is with long running.  Mentally haven't been into it.  Prepare yourself for the 10K.  A trick I've done in the past is actually try and plan to do a 12km run.  Even though your mind is looking at 10K, really keep trying to convince yourself you actually want to crack a 11 or 12Km.  It sounds stupid but it can work.  You'll find you may not be able to stretch to 12km, but it should help in getting to the 10km.  Sounds silly but I've done it to myself.

Offline H2

« Reply #2043 on: November 01, 2020, 12:52:16 PM »

I'm finding out mate that concentrating on running will very much sacrifice the weight training.  I've been trying to find a balance between the two but trying to level out too much makes both suffer somewhat.  The last few weeks I've been trying to put my focus more on lifting and instantly my runs the last couple of weeks have suffered. 

I don't think you'll get back there all that quickly doing those other things mate.  My thinking is, if I'm excelling at one of them and not the other, than that's a good thing.  If both suffer, then that's an issue.
Gosh, I need that reminder. I want to be in enough shape to excel at all these things simultaneously. But to think I can't -- gah!

What do you think about this workout program from reddit, if you get a chance to look at it? I've run the recommended three months every time I'm getting back into it: https://thefitness.wiki/routines/r-fitness-basic-beginner-routine/

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2044 on: November 01, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »
Maybe some people can excel at both but personally I can't.   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: November 01, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »

Gosh, I need that reminder. I want to be in enough shape to excel at all these things simultaneously. But to think I can't -- gah!

What do you think about this workout program from reddit, if you get a chance to look at it? I've run the recommended three months every time I'm getting back into it: https://thefitness.wiki/routines/r-fitness-basic-beginner-routine/

Just skimmed it quickly.  I mean, it's good - it's the 6 best core/compound exercises that should be part of everyone's routine.  It's essentially a (fairly basic) full-body program.  Both workout A/B hit all/most body parts in some way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2046 on: November 09, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
Last month has been slow, and with some issues, but still doing okay, here is where we're at:

Oct. 19: Was mid-workout, went to do my first squat and nearly went down due to something going out in my back, which at this point seems to be the most common point of major contention in my body.
Oct. 21: Against my better judgement I went to play hockey and made it through okay.
Oct. 22-28: Vacation
Oct. 28: Hockey again.
Oct. 29: Thanks in part to hockey book-ending the vacation and at least 20 miles of walking on vacation only came home at 1lb heavier than when we left, up to 246.
Nov. 6: First time since Oct. 19 I did weights at home, the injury, vacation, work, and dealing with some other fallout (mostly my car getting totalled) made me be lazy on this front. Honestly the time off was more good than bad, felt very good throughout the workout.
Nov. 9: Down to 242, 28lbs total and 4lbs post vacation, even with minimal workout.

Have tomorrow off and will definitely be doing a workout during the day, then hockey tomorrow. If I can control my intake a little bit better I'm hopeful to be in the 230's by the weekend.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: November 09, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »
Personally, the numbers on the scale seem to have mostly stalled for me - I keep hovering at 180lbs-ish, and 14.2% BF.  None-the-less, my fitness tracking says I'm making very good gains with my lifts, and what I see in the mirror is reinforcement enough.  I just personally want to get down to 10% BF before turning 50.

Gonna finish this "max size" routine, then try some manner of a cut.  Been contemplating a couple of months on Keto - I recall H had good success, as well as Gregg (full-time still?).  My only worry is not tracking my nutrition strictly enough to ensure I'm getting the right amount of fat, and just porking up cuz I'm only getting like 50% of my cals from fat, thus not getting into ketosis.

We'll see.  Still got 6 weeks left on this program, which should put me right around xmas time... at which point I think I'll just do some low intensity cardio and some minimal lifting, then get back at things in earnest in January.

Offline H2

« Reply #2048 on: November 09, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
Keto - I did have good success, but I would say my performance suffered after about 2 months. I'm not sure it's the best thing in hindsight. I lost for sure. But too much, I would say.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: November 09, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
Keto - I did have good success, but I would say my performance suffered after about 2 months. I'm not sure it's the best thing in hindsight. I lost for sure. But too much, I would say.

Yeah, even though I enjoyed the style of eating, I don't think I could do this long term.  I was eating carbs on the weekend too.  If I didn't I would struggle big time.  My performance in the gym and with running stalls very quickly once I'm in a solid defeceit or low carb so I just take a full intuative approach now with diet.  I'm sick of thinking too much about what I'm eating. 

I also think while you can lose a lot of keto and as H2 says you can lose probalby too much, and it can come off very quickly while you're still training hard.  I feel this is a bad thing long term.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: November 10, 2020, 04:53:20 AM »
Gonna finish this "max size" routine, then try some manner of a cut.  Been contemplating a couple of months on Keto - I recall H had good success, as well as Gregg (full-time still?).  My only worry is not tracking my nutrition strictly enough to ensure I'm getting the right amount of fat, and just porking up cuz I'm only getting like 50% of my cals from fat, thus not getting into ketosis.

We'll see.  Still got 6 weeks left on this program, which should put me right around xmas time... at which point I think I'll just do some low intensity cardio and some minimal lifting, then get back at things in earnest in January.

I'm still eating super low carbs, full time, but I don't believe I've been in ketosis for months. Like you said, that takes some serious tracking. You need to maintain that 75 20 5 ratio of calories from fat, proteins, and carbs. It's not difficult, but it must be consistent for weight loss to occur. I'm eating more proteins in the form of lean meats and a lot of low carb veggies, these days. I might snack on nuts, or peanut butter, but not in the keto friendly way I was.

I'm sorry, but there is no evidence of a low carb/keto diet being dangerous. It may not be appealing to y'all but so far the science is clear. For Thor's sake, the Inuit tribes of North America lived their entire lives in a state of ketosis--until the white man introduced high carb food to them. The process is a natural function of our evolved physiology.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: November 10, 2020, 05:02:37 AM »
I have no issue with that at all Gregg and like consistent low carb eating myself.  However, I just don't know how it's possible to sustain while training at high intensity levels daily.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: November 10, 2020, 05:09:44 AM »
It's usually best practice to ignore me, Kade. Especially before I've finished coffee. Just ask Mrs. P.

EDIT: BTW, with Halloween around, Mrs. P bought some snack sized candy bars to give out to the little kids. I tried one of the KitKat bars (which used to be a personal favorite) and, oooo boy, was it ever... not good.  :lol  I'm to the point that any time I try something heavily laden with processed sugar it nearly gags me.

Fun times.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:15:36 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: November 10, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2054 on: November 10, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
Over the past few weekends I've been taking dance lessons with a dancer friend. So, I'm learning to dance now. Part of this was trying to find a new way to get exercise and sweat while learning something new, since I'm not wearing a mask at the freaking gym, so I won't be lifting through the winter - gotta keep the body moving.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: November 10, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »
Dirty dancing?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2056 on: November 10, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Dirty dancing?

:lol Club dancing. Trying to loosen up, get my whole body moving, and sweat like mad.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: November 10, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
I have no idea what club dancing would entail.  I don't think that would be my thing.  :lol 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: November 10, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
I'm still eating super low carbs, full time, but I don't believe I've been in ketosis for months. Like you said, that takes some serious tracking. You need to maintain that 75 20 5 ratio of calories from fat, proteins, and carbs. It's not difficult, but it must be consistent for weight loss to occur. I'm eating more proteins in the form of lean meats and a lot of low carb veggies, these days. I might snack on nuts, or peanut butter, but not in the keto friendly way I was.

I'm sorry, but there is no evidence of a low carb/keto diet being dangerous. It may not be appealing to y'all but so far the science is clear. For Thor's sake, the Inuit tribes of North America lived their entire lives in a state of ketosis--until the white man introduced high carb food to them. The process is a natural function of our evolved physiology.

This bolded part is what worries me.  I'm sure I could do/track it in bursts... but to be 100% disciplined and consistent for 6-8 weeks... not so sure.

My intuitive way of eating is just fine for maintenance... I'm just having problems shedding the fat I want, to get closer to 10% BF.  I've been tracking my total calorie burn from exercise, and it's pretty solidly in the 4500-5500 range weekly, and my daily cal intake is usually in the 2000-2200/day range.  The math of my BMR is about 1800/day.  So, with a daily surplus of (min-max) 200-400/day, burning 5000-ish cals should be giving me more movement.  I know the math is an important factor, but the body is a little more complicated than simple addition and subtraction.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: November 10, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: November 10, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
 :rollin

Not entirely sure what club dancing is myself, but I often will put on some metal concert in the basement and just rock out and get a good sweat going.  It's definitely a way to get some sort of work out in while having fun.  As weird as it sounds.... I watch the Babymetal concerts and try to emulate their dances.  That's actually really difficult and I'm usually out of breath by doing like 15% of the dance for one song.  https://youtu.be/dU38CYkpBvI?t=64 for example  :metal and yea, make fun of me all you want!  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: November 10, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »

Not entirely sure what club dancing is myself, but I often will put on some metal concert in the basement and just rock out and get a good sweat going.  It's definitely a way to get some sort of work out in while having fun.  As weird as it sounds.... I watch the Babymetal concerts and try to emulate their dances.  That's actually really difficult and I'm usually out of breath by doing like 15% of the dance for one song.  https://youtu.be/dU38CYkpBvI?t=64 for example  :metal and yea, make fun of me all you want!  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: November 10, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »
 :hat

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: November 10, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »

I haven't checked out Babymetal yet and I ain't starting now.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2064 on: November 10, 2020, 06:47:37 PM »
Some of their shit is intense. It's actually worth a listen