Author Topic: Amorphis... blow?  (Read 121198 times)

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Amorphis... blow?
« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
Freakin' amazing album.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #351 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
Silent Waters has to be my 3rd favorite album, behind Skyforger and Tuonela. Shaman is a criminally underrated song; it's pretty much based on just one melody, but that melody is one of catchiest I've ever heard! :hefdaddy

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #352 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Any suggestions for a first album? I heard Silver Bride a while back and loved it, but I never got into them much after that.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #353 on: January 26, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
I'd suggest Silent Waters or Eclipse, but you can't really go wrong with any of the Joutsen-era albums (Eclipse, Silent Waters, Skyforger and Beginning of Times). They're all good. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #354 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
Of course if you can get Am Universum, as that is the best Amorphis album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #355 on: January 26, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
Any suggestions for a first album? I heard Silver Bride a while back and loved it, but I never got into them much after that.

I would start with Eclipse, Silent Waters, or Skyforger. The first two, in particular, are great albums, and each has a very modern production. Their albums before that are awesome as well, but the production quality drops a bit and their old singer wasn't particularly special.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #356 on: January 26, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
I would try and get hold of the recent live DVD/BR/CD 'Forging The Land Of Thousand Lakes'. It has a very good variety of recent material and a couple of old classics.
I'm a big fan of the previous singer Pasi, yes live he was a statue, looked miserable, as did the rest of the band, but the 4 albums he sung with Amorphis are pretty good, all having some great songs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #357 on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
I'd suggest Silent Waters or Eclipse, but you can't really go wrong with any of the Joutsen-era albums (Eclipse, Silent Waters, Skyforger and Beginning of Times). They're all good. :)
Yup. If you don't mind 90's production values and would like to hear how a Finnish band helped break the molds of metal (clearing the way for folk metal, helping define melodic death metal all the while casually adding prog rock touches and writing some of the best riffs I've ever heard), Tales From The Thousand Lakes and Elegy are pretty much classics. And then when you've fallen in love with Amorphis wrap up with their middle era I guess :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2013, 02:28:36 AM »
Yep, Milena is right - after hearing the Joutsen-era albums you should continue with Elegy and Thousand Lakes, as those 2 are among the biggest classics of Finnish metal and the whole folk metal genre owes a lot to them. Tales... was also released before no-one had even heard of Opeth! ;)
I'm a big fan of the previous singer Pasi, yes live he was a statue, looked miserable, as did the rest of the band, but the 4 albums he sung with Amorphis are pretty good, all having some great songs.
Agreed; Tuonela is easily in my top 3 and I love Elegy as well. Am Universum took a lot of time to grow, but it was worth it - it's pretty different from the rest of the Amorphis discography with those jazzy and psychedelic elements, but still good. Alone kicks ass live every time, one of their best songs ever! :metal

I only disagree regarding Far from the Sun, as that album is very mediocre in my eyes. The lack of emotion in Pasi's vocals makes it perfectly clear that he was getting tired of being in the band, and the songwriting is also pretty uninspired. When it comes to the vocalist debate, I prefer Tomi by miles. Pasi sounded great on Tuonela and Am Universum, but judging by the live videos he wasn't too good live. However, Tomi always sounds great, both in studio and live.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:34 AM »
Yeah I saw Amorphis with Pasi a couple of times in Finland and to be honest he didn't look that interested, didn't sound too good, this seemed to effect the rest of the band.
But during this time Pasi was also doing vocals for funeral doomsters Shape Of Despair and started a side project, Ajattara. Maybe he was more interested in those than Amorphis?
Tomi J has definitely given Amorphis a massive injection of everything to make them better than ever and seem to be improving with age.

Tuonela and Elegy are brilliant, though I am usually against such things, but I would love to hear Elegy re done with Tomi J doing all the vox.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:12 AM »
Yeah I saw Amorphis with Pasi a couple of times in Finland and to be honest he didn't look that interested, didn't sound too good, this seemed to effect the rest of the band.
But during this time Pasi was also doing vocals for funeral doomsters Shape Of Despair and started a side project, Ajattara. Maybe he was more interested in those than Amorphis?
Tomi J has definitely given Amorphis a massive injection of everything to make them better than ever and seem to be improving with age.

Tuonela and Elegy are brilliant, though I am usually against such things, but I would love to hear Elegy re done with Tomi J doing all the vox.
They did re-do parts of the first three albums with Tomi on vocs for the Magic And Mayhem release in 2010 (apologies if you already knew). I am kind of hoping they could give the next three albums the same treatment. I mean, Pasi's clean singing is okay, but Tomi is just divine.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »
Back in 2010 when they released Magic & Mayhem Esa said they will re-record songs from the mid-era at some point, but I think that project probably got the same treatment as the EP including the leftovers from Skyforger :sadpanda: Too bad, because Greed was awesome when I heard it live in 2011 and I've also enjoyed Tomi's versions of these songs:

The Way (the chorus is a bit challenging, but he still manages to make this a more than worthy rendition of one of Amorphis' best songs)
Rusty Moon
Summer's End (maybe a bit too growly, but he nails the clean parts)
Day of Your Beliefs (the only song on FFTS I could call great)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2013, 03:56:33 AM »
My Australian version of Tuonela has a bonus track called, 'Northern Lights', which is a great song with growls from Pasi.
I really love Elegy, but I hated it when I first heard it, because of Tomi K growls, now rerecorded with Tomi J would be amazing. The actual songs are killer, must listen to it soon.
Magic & Mayhem is great, but a little too safe, as far as the more well know/popular songs from that era.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:18 AM »
I like Tomi K's growls actually, maybe because it's so easy to grunt along to songs because of his technique that's so easy to replicate :lol But yeah, Northern Lights is a cool song, although the ending is recycled from In the Beginning.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
Early Amorphis is an interesting example of a band having an average to below average singer, and still being amazing despite said singer. Elegy is perhaps their best album, and Tuonela and Am Universum are great too.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Since I'm bored, everyone tell me your Mount Rushmore of Amorphis albums!

Elegy
Tuonela
Eclipse
Silent Waters

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
Same four as you TOX!

o/

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
*\o

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Listening to Elegy right now and damned it does sound so good, not really dated at all.
Looking at the booklet, only Esa and Tomi K have survived from the line up that made this classic album.
I also noticed that Olli-Pekka Laine has a big input into the songwriting on Elegy.
He has made a sort of comeback with Barren Earth, along with old Amorphis keyboard player, Kasper Martenson.
Barren Earth are well worth checking out.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:46 AM »
Listening to Elegy right now and damned it does sound so good, not really dated at all.
Looking at the booklet, only Esa and Tomi K have survived from the line up that made this classic album.
I also noticed that Olli-Pekka Laine has a big input into the songwriting on Elegy.
He has made a sort of comeback with Barren Earth, along with old Amorphis keyboard player, Kasper Martenson.
Yes, they are!

Mount Rushmore:
Skyforger
Elegy
Tales
Eclipse

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
Well, at least a comeback into this kind of music - Oppu played stoner stuff in Mannhai (Kasper was with them as well, at least for a while) before forming Barren Earth. And yes, BE are great! :metal

My Rushmore:

Skyforger
Tuonela
Silent Waters
Thousand Lakes or Elegy (can't decide, Am Universum is close too)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
Am Universum
Silent Water
Skyforger
Tuonela
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
Now... Top ten songs of the Joutsen era! I'm going to do mine in chronological order.

Leaves Scar
The Smoke
Weaving the Incantation
Silent Waters
The White Swan
Sampo
Sky Is Mine
From Earth I Rose
Battle for Light
Mermaid

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:34 AM »
Leaves Scar - yes I love this, the live version on the DVD/BR, when Tomi J lets out the big rooooooooooooooooar at the start of the song, kills me every time.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:07 AM »
Chronologically:

Leaves Scar
Under a Soil & Black Stone
Empty Opening (this one has grown on me A LOT, as it used to be my least favorite on Eclipse)
A Servant
Shaman
Sampo (my #1 Amorphis song overall - I'm lucky to have heard it live 3 times :heart)
Sky is Mine
From Earth I Rose
Song of the Sage
Crack in a Stone

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
I checked and it appears that I actually own all the Mannhai releases on CD, but never checked them out, which I will.
I also discovered that I have a promo disc of, To Separate the Flesh from the Bones, which Pasi and Niclas Etelävuori was involved in.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Inferno posted a report from the listening session of Circle: https://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/inferno-kuunteli-uuden-amorphis-levyn-lue-raportti/

I'm too busy to translate the song descriptions right now, but basically it's said that the new album is more aggressive and guitar-driven than TBOT. The journalist says he was impressed with Eclipse back when it was released, but the later albums have all been disappointments, until now. He says he was pleasantly surprised, as he thought Amorphis were slowly getting stuck in the same formula (something even Esa admits), but Circle marks a change. They were also shown the "making of" doc and reportedly it's more entertaining than the average band documentary - even lyricist Pekka Kainulainen (appearing as a horn-headed creature!) is interviewed.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #377 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
Someone from the UM Amorphis forum already did the translation;
Inferno just posted their impression from the listening session. Since this time I wasn't there in person, I gotta trust their words.

The review is very positive, according to the author "the guitars grab you by the throat right from the first song. Although there is still keyboards in abundance and calmer moments as well, the whole is less ethereal than the last four albums, more in your face."

Here's the song-for-song description:

1. Shades Of Gray

Starting with a familiar arabic scale, the song continues from death growls to a cleanly sung chorus. Sets the stakes right away, with snot and attitude.

2. Mission

Starts with a beautiful keyboard part. Catchy verse and chorus. The second verse is followed by a massive middle part based on a strong beat, almost a 1980s feeling here. I feel like applauding after this awesome track.

3. The Wanderer

The absolute crown jewel of the album. The song contains a stunningly exquisite chorus, the highlight of which is a single, unexpected pop note. It proves that small things can do miracles. The transposition at the end is not done the standard eurovision way, but with discretion and style. Sublime!

4. Narrow Path

Starting with a woodwinds intro, the folky song doesn't feel equally great than the stunning opening trio. Despite sounding somewhat lame at first listening, it might yet grow slowly into a positive surprise, since for example the sawing guitars of the verse do offer potential. The guitar solo could have been brought more to the forefront.

5. Hopeless Days

Contains a simple, but efficient metallic riff. The story of the social outcast drawing power from tradition is perhaps best expressed by this song, or at least the tranquil chorus makes me listen to the lyrics more closely compared to the other tracks.

6. Nightbird’s Song

The calm beginning is followed by a strong death metal riff. Stormy action, particularly upon reaching the second verse. At some point during this song I realize that the delay-based guitar riffs familar from the earlier albums have so far been missing on this one. Guitarist Tomi Koivusaari later corrects my notion: they do exist in Hopeless Days. However, Koivusaari admits that guitar patterns of this type indeed play a smaller role this time.

7. Into the Abyss

A piano-based riff which is then doubled by the electric guitars. Layered vocals during the verse. The chorus seems monotonous at first but gets infectious during the last round if not before. The exquisite, open-spaced keyboard solo could have continued for even longer.

8. Enchanted by the Moon

A delicate arpeggiated intro that, if I remember correctly, is reprised towards the end. A better than average song, although I cannot come up with a clear analysis at first listening.

9. A New Day

An ending worthy of the album. The atmospheric vocals of the verses are built on heavy guitars. Another sublime chorus. After the second chorus follows an airy, folk-style break. Befitting the dramatic arc, the end calms down with wind instruments and piano.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:21 AM »
I was listening to a bit of TBOT this morning, and it was a great listen.  Coming back to albums really lets you see the maturity of an album and how time ages it.  Great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2013, 05:20:45 AM »
I was listening to a bit of TBOT this morning, and it was a great listen.  Coming back to albums really lets you see the maturity of an album and how time ages it.  Great album.
:tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
Thanks for posting those, gazinwales! The translations are pretty accurate.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #381 on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
I only copied and pasted, but your welcome mate.
Yes TBoT has really grown on me and could well be my fave Amorphis album, right next to Elegy and Tuonela.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 10, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
A lol-worthy video from the early days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgIgaE6SQDg

It's no surprise they didn't release this on the DVD! :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:49 AM »
This melody should sound familiar :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
I want some samples or a new song already dammit!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.