Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 109134 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I assumed everybody at least just read the highest and lowest ranked ones (beside their own)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i just read the lowest ranked one and nothing else, not even my own :jamaritard:

Offline Lethean

How dare you not thoroughly reading each single writeup and listening to all the albums per round, so you can fine-tune your submissions and get high scores - what are you, a poser? :neverusethis:

I did eventually read, or at least skim them all.  But the Solefald submission went something like this:  I had it picked out at the beginning.  I kind of thought about not sending it after reading some of his comments about harsh vocals... *But* I don't really like harsh vocals either.  Leprous is one of the few exceptions, and he liked Leprous.  So I thought maybe I'd see how I was doing towards the end of the roulette and decide at that point.  Then I read his comments about Redemption.  Now he gets to listen to Solefald. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, you did say you didn't have better than Redemption.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

You mentioned wanting old stuff, but I don't have that much old stuff.  I guess I should go through my 90s albums and find something to send you from that.... :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
You mentioned wanting old stuff, but I don't have that much old stuff.  I guess I should go through my 90s albums and find something to send you from that.... :)

90s ...  old stuff.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
My thought exactly, Chad. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You two turds. That's plenty of good 90s music.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Well obviously. We were commenting on the youngsters referring to 90s music as "old".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

Well obviously. We were commenting on the youngsters referring to 90s music as "old".

I just meant that since I don't have really old stuff, that's what I have left to work with.  I'm not really sure what he meant about "old" when he posted that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't really have a fine line for what is 'old' but I'd say anything from the early 80s on back is definitely old. Kris Kristofferson's self-titled was from 1970, so that's pretty freaking old now. 90s I wouldn't call old simply because I was born in 91 and I'm YOUNG, damn it  :metal  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Yeah, but it's not OLD.   I listen to 90's music and I'm all like "see that, I'm down with the kids' music."   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't really have a fine line for what is 'old' but I'd say anything from the early 80s on back is definitely old. Kris Kristofferson's self-titled was from 1970, so that's pretty freaking old now. 90s I wouldn't call old simply because I was born in 91 and I'm YOUNG, damn it  :metal  :lol

I'm thinking about not sending anything that came out after 1976.  Though, I already have one exception on my list (it's still old by  your criteria, though). 

Offline Lethean

Yeah from the early 80s or back I have, um... Rush. :). Want to pretend like it's 6 months ago?

Actually I do have a little more than that Queensryche, Fates Warning, Iron Maiden... a Rainbow album, Dio.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm thinking about not sending anything that came out after 1976.  Though, I already have one exception on my list (it's still old by  your criteria, though).

I'm curious if you would've sent me Asia were I not already a fan. Alpha has seriously become one of my all-time favorite albums, as you're probably aware. To anyone reading this: if you have anything like Alpha, you would do well to send it my way. Think it's too cheesy/fruity/soft? Then I'll love it :)

Yeah from the early 80s or back I have, um... Rush. :). Want to pretend like it's 6 months ago?

Actually I do have a little more than that Queensryche, Fates Warning, Iron Maiden... a Rainbow album, Dio.

The roulette would've been broken in round 1 if someone had sent me any number of Rush albums, because the bar would've been set too high  :lol

Snippets tonight, still have two albums to go through. Very tempted to give one of these a straight 10/10.

Offline Lethean

The roulette would've been broken in round 1 if someone had sent me any number of Rush albums, because the bar would've been set too high  :lol

Snippets tonight, still have two albums to go through. Very tempted to give one of these a straight 10/10.

Clearly that one is mine. ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm curious if you would've sent me Asia were I not already a fan. Alpha has seriously become one of my all-time favorite albums, as you're probably aware. To anyone reading this: if you have anything like Alpha, you would do well to send it my way. Think it's too cheesy/fruity/soft? Then I'll love it :)

I absolutely would have, and that would have been the album.  I list the first on my top 10 or 20 albums ever, but I actually listen to and prefer Alpha.  Those melodies!!!!

You're such a tease, I love it!   

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm thinking of sending an album from 80s next round, but that depends on the score I get this round. Hopefully Gilmour is the 10/10 one, because it definitely is for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't we all think our albums are 10/10?  I mean who - not named Parama - sends an album they think is 6/10?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I actually have been sending mostly 9/10 or 9.5/10 albums, I can't think of a single album I'd give a perfect 10 honestly

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I would say IQ, Beyond the Bridge and Gilmour are all 10/10, and Phideaux is probably 9 or 9.5/10 for me. I know, I'm generous. But yeah, good point, Chad.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't we all think our albums are 10/10?  I mean who - not named Parama - sends an album they think is 6/10?

Eh, the ELP album I sent isn't my favorite - that's Brain Salad Surgery, which is a 10/10.   ELP is a better introduction, though, and better showcases the essence of ELP - AMAZING keyboard playing, warm vocals and percussion as a lead instrument.   I'm not giving KTLX any hints or suggestions - it's a 10! it's a 10! - but I may not give it that if I'm rating the catalogue.   My next one might be in the same boat; I haven't fully decided yet. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
The albums I've sent I'd rate them:

Snarky Putty - Family Dinner 8.5/10
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise 8.5/10
Sigur Rós - Takk 7.5/10
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool 9/10

I've got some almost 10/10 albums I could send but I'm sure Katt would hate them :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Merzbow! Merzbow! Merzbow! :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry guys would've had hints up but it's a wild day at work. I'll have something a few hours from now
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:19:43 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
1. What an obscure but cool album! No duds, only great energy!

2. Absolutely gorgeous - could be the first 10/10 of the roulette.

3. Poppy, proggy, pretty. Heard a lot about these guys on MP's forum but not at all in recent years. This is cool.

4. Safe, but strong. I really like the lyrics and how the playing serves the music - no showboating here.

5. This isn't something I'm into, unfortunately. Has a few cool moments here and there, but I really don't like the singer.

6. I did not expect this kind of music at all, and I dig the hell out of it!

7. I like the sax...

8. Holy hell, man. That is some ridiculously good playing. No wonder he's a legend.

9. Vocalist reminds me of Silversun Pickups at times, but the music is way more fun and adventurous. This is a cool album.

10. Needs some fat trimmed, but this is cool. Way different than what I expected given some comments about them earlier in this round.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
(Puppies_On_Acid) Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites
(Lethean) Solefald - Norrøn livskunst
(Parama) Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me
(Tomislav95) Mew - Frengers
(jingle.boy) Dimension Act - Manifestation of Progress
(Evermind) David Gilmour - On An Island
(ariich) Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
(Sacul) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
(Stadler) Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
(home) The Dear Hunter - Act IV

:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

3 is frengers
9 is and the glass handed
10 is the dear hunter
5 is presumably solefald  :lol

No clue on the rest but mine is probably 4? Dunno

Offline Lethean

No I think Solefald is #7, and it's the only thing he likes. :)

Which means there's probably another one with a singer he doesn't care for.

Offline Lethean

8 is probably ELP

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Ahh, I'm #5 then  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
1. What an obscure but cool album! No duds, only great energy!

3. Poppy, proggy, pretty. Heard a lot about these guys on MP's forum but not at all in recent years. This is cool.

4. Safe, but strong. I really like the lyrics and how the playing serves the music - no showboating here.

5. This isn't something I'm into, unfortunately. Has a few cool moments here and there, but I really don't like the singer.

7. I like the sax...

8. Holy hell, man. That is some ridiculously good playing. No wonder he's a legend.

9. Vocalist reminds me of Silversun Pickups at times, but the music is way more fun and adventurous. This is a cool album.

10. Needs some fat trimmed, but this is cool. Way different than what I expected given some comments about them earlier in this round.

I think I can rule out 3, 5, 6, 7 (I don't remember sax on this album), 8 (which I'll say is not ELP, but the David Gilmour submission - sorry Evermind, no 10/10 for you), and 10.  So, I think I'm left with 1, 2, 4, or 9 .. and I'm leaning towards 4.

I'd agree that 10 is TDH.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Really, really hope it's #2 or #6 at least, AMSP is a beautiful record. But wouldn't surprise me if it was #5  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
8 is probably ELP

Well, it's certainly not number 4!!!

ELP could be 2, 3, 6, 8, or 10.   I know KTLX likes/loves some Asia - John Wetton - and Greg Lake has more than a passing resemblance to Wetton vocally, and that is one of Lake's better vocal performances, so it's definitely not 5, and I can't see it being 9, so.... I guess I'll just have to take the 10/10 and move to the next round, then.  :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It's certainly not out of the question.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm still debating if I want to give a 10/10 this round. 10/10 is 'perfect' in my mind and there are very few albums that reach that mark, and it's usually after a long period of listening. That said, Mystery and IQ from the first round are approaching 10/10 status for me, the only albums of the roulette to do that, so I'm going to chew on it. And I'm trying to figure out what the low ones will get.

Dread it, run from it... the ratings still arrive. Tomorrow.

:jamaritard: