Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 342935 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1295 on: July 02, 2011, 01:45:20 AM »
For those who think Trunk's comment was NOT negative : do you forget that this prick spilled the beans just before the official announcement of MM as the new DT drummer?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1296 on: July 02, 2011, 01:45:57 AM »
Hi guys!
This is my first poste in this fantastic forum!

I noticed that there isn't a PRESENTATION thread, so I introduce myself here!.
I'm Matt, 24, and I'm Italian.

I just want to say that this son is absolutely amazing.
I needed to listen to it many times, but I suddenly fell in love with it.
It's so epic, great rhythms, great sounds.
and Mangini..ooooooooh...mangini is just fantastic.

I hope to enjoy my time here with you all!

Welcome to the board Matt! You'll have a lot of fun here!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1297 on: July 02, 2011, 01:51:14 AM »
Hi guys!
This is my first poste in this fantastic forum!

I'm Matt, 24, and I'm Italian.

I just want to say that this son is absolutely amazing.
I needed to listen to it many times, but I suddenly fell in love with it.
It's so epic, great rhythms, great sounds.
and Mangini..ooooooooh...mangini is just fantastic.

I hope to enjoy my time here with you all!

Benvenuto Matt! Sono sicuro che questo forum ti piacerà molto, c'è tutto quello (e anche di più) che vorresti sapere sui Dream, ti permette di fare pratica con l'inglese scritto (postare di frequente è un esercizio davvero utile, anche se non facile) e in più è un delirio costante di opinioni, battute e altre scemenze varie. Se vuoi qualche altra informazione da mano italiana c'è un topic da qualche parte in questa sezione (credo sia scivolato in seconda pagina) dove puoi tranquillamente parlare in italiano con gli altri nostri compatrioti sul forum.

That being said, Welcome To The Family  ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: July 02, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »

Hi, and welcome!

I believe this thread https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=322.0 is kind of a presentation thread (if you're looking for one) :)

On topic remark:
I think OtBoA is their third best single of all time behind Home and Take the Time (that, acccording to Wikipedia, were singles too)...

Offline Matt7

• Shelter me, guide me to the edge of the water
« Reply #1299 on: July 02, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »

Benvenuto Matt! Sono sicuro che questo forum ti piacerà molto, c'è tutto quello (e anche di più) che vorresti sapere sui Dream, ti permette di fare pratica con l'inglese scritto (postare di frequente è un esercizio davvero utile, anche se non facile) e in più è un delirio costante di opinioni, battute e altre scemenze varie. Se vuoi qualche altra informazione da mano italiana c'è un topic da qualche parte in questa sezione (credo sia scivolato in seconda pagina) dove puoi tranquillamente parlare in italiano con gli altri nostri compatrioti sul forum.

That being said, Welcome To The Family  ;)

English is not a problem for me.
I have aunts and uncles, with cousins, in the United States (they live in Syracuse, NY). So I talk to them every single day. Yes, probably i will make some mistakes, but I hope you'll understand. And, of course, I study languages at the university...btw, I will introduce myself in the appropriate thread!!

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1300 on: July 02, 2011, 02:31:24 AM »
After several listens, the song is not nearly as awesome to me as I initially thought. I really dislike the chorus for some reason.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1301 on: July 02, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »
When Trunk says the DT song sounds like DT, I fail to see how that could possibly be an insult. The guy likes DT, and in light of the changes that have occurred, the fact that they still like the same band is important!

The part about MP still being the best was probably the reason he took the tweet down, but I don't even understand how someone could think that the first part was an insult.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1302 on: July 02, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »
Well the songs been out for a few days and while people were kinda waiting for Portnoy's response, any response, there didn't seem to be any. Finally we get something but it was only because he had the backing of a good friend in that "See? Told you I was right."manner.

Not to mention his post about The Adrenaline Mob, "I can't wait for you all to hear OUR songs!!" The way he stressed the "Our" clearly means, "As opposed to their."

NO. He DEFINITELY was referring to their cover of "Mob Rules". Read the whole fucking post before you rip MP to pieces:
"Thanks to all who checked out the Live Adrenaline Mob Video of us doing The Mob Rules....I can't wait for you all to hear OUR songs!! The album RULES...release details coming soon..."

:chill

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1303 on: July 02, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »
It's clear that these people aren't intelligent enough to be posting this stuff sarcastically or ironically, they're the sort of people you see in the crowd on the Score DVD.

lol hefdaddy42
I know where Mexico is, motherfucker.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1304 on: July 02, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
hefdaddy42 lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #1305 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:33 AM »
I don't know what is so wrong with Trunk's post.

Still no words from MP, huh?  ;D I don't know why I'd be interested in it, though...

Offline Storm Rider

• The Progressive One
  • The Progressive One
« Reply #1306 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »
I think that the vocal melody in the chorus could have been better. But the song is ok, at least better than AROP.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #1307 on: July 02, 2011, 06:26:17 AM »
listening to the song at least 3 times a day to absorbe everything
the only way to listen to it is on headphones.
there's SO MUCH going on.... the people who say hmm drumming is ok.. PLEASE turn on the headphones. when you indeed give it a normal listen..you dont hear anyuthing strange...
but with headphones.. an occasional tom is there a extra ride an shilzze here a shizzle there...it's awesome, it has so many beat changes, the guitar parts look the same but they are different constantly, it's not repeative at all... i didn't chek the bass out that will be my next listen

and as JR said yeaterday and i now can here it..in the intro there's the morpwiz slide :-)
this song is so damn cool..

im not gonna mess with the tweet stuff as i honestly dont give a shit..it's another opion just like i have mine.. and i dont cae about eddy trunk also as i dont know the guy.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1308 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:27 AM »
When Trunk says the DT song sounds like DT, I fail to see how that could possibly be an insult. The guy likes DT, and in light of the changes that have occurred, the fact that they still like the same band is important!

The part about MP still being the best was probably the reason he took the tweet down, but I don't even understand how someone could think that the first part was an insult.
I think it's a little more passive aggressive than that. If someone asked you what you thought of the new episode of Doctor Who, and you went "well... it's definitely an episode of Doctor Who." See what I mean? Not exactly tumbling over yourself with the superlatives, there.

And even less so if you were to add "Would've been better with the old guy writing."

For what it's worth, though, I didn't think Trunk was belittling the track, either. Not intentionally - he's playing it on his radio show, for starters, so he's clearly not cheesed off by it. He was never going to start going "oh wow this is SO MUCH BETTER than the last few singles," though - to raise the paddle ominously above the corpse of the girlfriend metaphor once more, you wouldn't start spouting off about how your mate's ex is "way better off with her new man!" while your mate's in the room. And chances are you'd be a little cold to the new guy simply by virtue of him being the new guy, so you know; fair enough.

I do consider it a snifter churlish for Mike to go "look - see? should've been me!" but it's not some massive faux pas - not a million miles away from putting your reviews on a poster, I'd argue. I'd advise Mike to let it go, though. It's a brave new era for a band who was, with their last album, threatening to become a little stale, and for a musician who spent the last couple of years going on about how he probably wouldn't use JLB if he were starting Dream Theater now and how he could've ended up as a metal drummer and isn't just about the prog no-sir-ee.

Offline Slain

« Reply #1309 on: July 02, 2011, 06:51:11 AM »
I don't think Trunk's comment was that bad. He was probably just trying to make MP feel better, if anything. Of course Trunk isn't going to ever say "Yeah, Mangini is much better than Portnoy!" they are great friends, and the comment is most likely based on that.

In other news, I love OTBoA a lot. Can't stop listening to it, Jordan really owns the song in my opinion.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1310 on: July 02, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »

I think it's a little more passive aggressive than that. If someone asked you what you thought of the new episode of Doctor Who, and you went "well... it's definitely an episode of Doctor Who." See what I mean? Not exactly tumbling over yourself with the superlatives, there.

And even less so if you were to add "Would've been better with the old guy writing."
This exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1311 on: July 02, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »

This exactly.

I agree too.

B.Lee

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1312 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
Well the songs been out for a few days and while people were kinda waiting for Portnoy's response, any response, there didn't seem to be any. Finally we get something but it was only because he had the backing of a good friend in that "See? Told you I was right."manner.

Not to mention his post about The Adrenaline Mob, "I can't wait for you all to hear OUR songs!!" The way he stressed the "Our" clearly means, "As opposed to their."

I think with that MP was simply talking about how so far the only song we've heard them play is a cover, and MP wants fans to hear the album they made.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1313 on: July 02, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »
Could we please stop this speculation?
I think it is quite clear that both DT and MP are moving on, and are offering us more interesting music and everyone seems happy doing what they do.
It's a bit annoying trying to find hidden meanings behind every tweet and word from both sides, and i think its not good to stay in the past, especially when the future seems so promising.
Sorry if my post is offending for some people, i just believe that its time to move on.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1314 on: July 02, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
I think it is quite clear that both DT and MP are moving on, and are offering us more interesting music and everyone seems happy doing what they do.
It's a bit annoying trying to find hidden meanings behind every tweet and word from both sides, and i think its not good to stay in the past, especially when the future seems so promising.
Sorry if my post is offending for some people, i just believe that its time to move on.

THIS x10000000
The overanalyzing of EVERY single thing he says now is getting ridiculous

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1315 on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »

Yes, it is so clear that MP has moved on from his feelings towards DT because his only public reaction to the new single was to take a pot shot at it that also more or less said no one can replace him in DT.  That's the action of someone who has moved on.  Yes, you are completely correct.  What was I thinking?

::)

EDIT:  Also, watch or read any real MP interview.  The guy's more media savvy than some politicians.  The idea he's saying what he's saying merely because he doesn't understand the impact his comments would have makes no sense.  The only reason he can't is because his own emotions are blinding him.
Over and over again

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1316 on: July 02, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »

Firstly, there isn't any scope to write loads of superlatives on Twitter because of the ridiculous limit to how many characters you can type.

Secondly, if I asked someone who I knew was a big fan of Doctor Who what they thought of the new episode and they basically said "classic Doctor Who", I would assume that was a good thing. Trunk likes DT, and appears to think that the new song is line with his expectations from them. Only on DTF could a DT fan saying that the band still sound like DT be construed as an insult. :lol

That's not really the same though. Following the same analogy, it would be "Moffat is amazing, although I do still prefer RTD", and to really complete the analogy the person in question would know RTD personally and so that loyalty would be expected.

But I agree that that part was unnecessary and controversial, so I can see why he removed it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1317 on: July 02, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
   Also, watch or read any real MP interview.  The guy's more media savvy than some politicians.  The idea he's saying what he's saying merely because he doesn't understand the impact his comments would have makes no sense.  The only reason he can't is because his own emotions are blinding him.

Yep.

Also, I think everyone would agree that last night's thing would have been no big deal if it was an isolated thing.  Ya know, if he had said nothing else since the split, but the fact that he constantly plays the victim practically every time DT comes up in an interview, and occasionally takes subtle shots at his former band members, makes this a cumulative thing, meaning last night was just another subtle dig.  The fact that it was deleted speaks volumes.  I mean, if there is nothing wrong with the tweet, why delete it?

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1318 on: July 02, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
What did he tweet?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1319 on: July 02, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
Trunk tweeted that the song sounded like DT and that "Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course". Which is clearly a compliment to the song and Mangini's playing while sticking up for his friend MP, but obviously people have somehow interpreted it as a dig at DT, which I still don't understand.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1320 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:04 AM »
Also, Trunk hasn't actually deleted it at all, so I don't know where people got that from. ???

I be am boner inducing.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1321 on: July 02, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »
Trunk tweeted that the song sounded like DT and that "Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course". Which is clearly a compliment to the song and Mangini's playing while sticking up for his friend MP, but obviously people have somehow interpreted it as a dig at DT, which I still don't understand.
drama here, drama there

Reading about wild speculations like that was funny when MP left, now it's just pathetic and annoying.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1322 on: July 02, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
Also, Trunk hasn't actually deleted it at all, so I don't know where people got that from. ???

I think it was that Portnoy deleted his retweet of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1323 on: July 02, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
Anyway, On the Backs of Angels...good tune, eh? ;)

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #1324 on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »
Is this thread about the song or MP and Trunk. I've never understood why people can't stay on topic.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1325 on: July 02, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »

If Eddie Trunk wanted to be complimentary, wouldn't he have said something complimentary that wasn't ambiguous and open to interpretation?

"Spinning the new DT single right now, they still have the DT touch.  MM's no MP, but he's definitely a monster!"

Under 140 characters, definitely positive.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1326 on: July 02, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
Is this thread about the song or MP and Trunk. I've never understood why people can't stay on topic.

Well, much of the recent talk was about Trunk's reaction to the song, his tweet and then Portnoy's retweet, so technically it was about the song.  

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1327 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Anyway, On the Backs of Angels...good tune, eh? ;)

Even I don't think it's a bad one :lol That must mean something, right?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1328 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
i just dont get why he would even say 'same old '. wouldnt that be a knock against portnoy as well? i dont think the first sentence is a problem.

Possibly. I take it as Trunk hinting that the band isn't treading any new ground and can finally say that because his pal Portnoy isn't in the picture. The last two albums weren't new ground either but he seemed to love the singles from those, probably not to offend Portnoy who was debuting them.

Or he could be defending Portnoy in Jericho fashion by saying the band is trying to survive by imitating what worked when he was in the band.

Did Jericho say that?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1329 on: July 02, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
i just dont get why he would even say 'same old '. wouldnt that be a knock against portnoy as well? i dont think the first sentence is a problem.

Possibly. I take it as Trunk hinting that the band isn't treading any new ground and can finally say that because his pal Portnoy isn't in the picture. The last two albums weren't new ground either but he seemed to love the singles from those, probably not to offend Portnoy who was debuting them.

Or he could be defending Portnoy in Jericho fashion by saying the band is trying to survive by imitating what worked when he was in the band.

Did Jericho say that?

I believe it. He's become a sour puss about the situation as well.