Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 28478 times)

Online billboy73

Re: NHL 2023-2024: On the final stretch now.
« Reply #840 on: April 17, 2024, 08:08:56 AM »
I was hoping the Penguins would make it, but oh well...

Really hope that Matthews gets to 70 tonight.  Also, last game for the Coyotes tonight.

Bring on the playoffs!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #841 on: April 17, 2024, 08:34:12 AM »
I imagine the Bolts will be resting a few players since there's nothing to be gained or lost on the outcome.  I think the Leafs would if they didn't have so many injuries - they literally only have 12 healthy forwards on the roster - they'd have to put a D-man up front to rest anyone.  I'm sure Tampa wants to get Kuch to 100 assists as well.  I think Keefe and Coop should just make a gentlemen's agreement, get those milestones over with early, then just play a little shinny for the rest of the evening.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: April 17, 2024, 07:52:15 PM »
The Hockey Gods gave a solid FU to Matthews the past two games.  11 shots and a crossbar against a goalie playing just his 7th NHL game.  And some even better chances last night against the Panthers.

This is why Toronto fans can't have nice things!   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #843 on: April 17, 2024, 07:55:05 PM »

This is why Toronto fans can't have nice things!   :lol

WTF? You'll just have to settle for a guy that scored 69 fucking goals. What an awful proposition.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #844 on: April 17, 2024, 08:05:46 PM »
So what are the side bets between Chad, Tim and Joe?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #845 on: April 17, 2024, 08:08:51 PM »
I don't bet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2024, 08:21:29 PM »
What is the side bet between Chad and Joe?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: April 17, 2024, 08:22:12 PM »
I don't bet.

Not even for fun? Not money but like….change your avatar to “whatever” if you lose?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: April 18, 2024, 03:28:38 AM »
WTF? You'll just have to settle for a guy that scored 69 fucking goals. What an awful proposition.

The laughing emote was an indication that I wasn't being entirely serious. :-*

I'm making no side bet, as I have about 4% faith the Leafs can advance.  This team is A) banged up, and B) not as good as previous years - particularly on the blueline.  Four losses to finish the year, giving up 5+ goals in all of them.  I know they didn't give a rats ass about the last 2 games, but still.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #849 on: April 18, 2024, 07:10:41 AM »
Something tells me that Mathews is perfectly okay with hitting 69 goals for the year.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #850 on: April 18, 2024, 07:19:05 AM »
How many did he score against the Bruins this year, anyone know? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #851 on: April 18, 2024, 08:07:16 AM »
Not even for fun? Not money but like….change your avatar to “whatever” if you lose?

Nope. That’s not fun. The games are stressful enough.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: April 18, 2024, 02:50:43 PM »
How many did he score against the Bruins this year, anyone know?

1 in the Shootout loss on Nov 2nd; 2 in the OT loss on Dec 2nd;

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #853 on: April 18, 2024, 02:53:02 PM »
1 in the Shootout loss on Nov 2nd; 2 in the OT loss on Dec 2nd;

So... are you rooting for him NOT to score this round? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: April 18, 2024, 03:39:09 PM »
So... are you rooting for him NOT to score this round? :lol

Well, he got 0 goals in the other 2 losses, so I'm rooting for whatever produces a W.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: April 18, 2024, 03:47:09 PM »
Chad, how do you feel about the TB-Fla series? I feel like TB is peaking at the right time, and I'm leaning towards picking them in the series.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #856 on: April 18, 2024, 04:11:09 PM »
All right, well.  It's now officially official.  The transactions are done.  The Coyotes are going to Utah.  Here are the names that were filed to be trademarked.  The last two are just generic names if they don't want to commit to a team name right now.  Blizzard, Venom, and Fury....  2 of those names are pants.  The Utah Venom could be ok.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1781077789027823671

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: April 18, 2024, 04:14:37 PM »
Chad, how do you feel about the TB-Fla series? I feel like TB is peaking at the right time, and I'm leaning towards picking them in the series.

Either way, it's gonna be a great series.  The way TBL's PP looks, and Vasilevsky between the pipes, Stamkos is on a tear, Hedman almost in Norris Trophy form. 

But ...

Florida has the lowest or 2nd lowest GAA in the league (depending how many the Jets give up tonight), and I think they're goaltenders are the best 1-2 tandem in the league (no disrespect to Swayman/Ullmark, or Hellebucyk/Broissot).  They're very deep up front as well.  And if Tkachuk comes anywhere close to how he played 12 months ago ...

I think that's going to be the series to watch.  Avs/Jets too.  And if the Oilers are playing the Knights ... damn, there's a lot of good hockey this round!

Predictions tomorrow before everything gets going on Saturday.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #858 on: April 18, 2024, 08:35:03 PM »
This is what sucks about being on the east coast.  It's almost 10:30, and the Kings game hasn't even started yet.

So...Dallas clinched the #1 spot in the Western Conference.  Winnipeg and Colorado are locked in at C2 and C3.  Vancouver and Edmonton are locked into P1 and P2, and Nashville is locked in at WC1.  The Kings and Vegas are playing Chicago and Anaheim.  If both earn 2 points, the Kings get stuck with playing Dallas.  If the Kings win and Vegas doesn't, then we get Edmonton for the third year in a row.

Ugh.

And those names for Utah SUCK.  Blizzard is too much like Avalanche, and they all sound like Arena Football league names.

Now I wonder if the Kings will move the Frozen Fury to Phoenix....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #859 on: April 18, 2024, 11:03:44 PM »
My emotions went through the ringer in that Kings/Blackhawks game.  First it was 1-0 Hawks, then it was 3-1 Kings and I was like, "All right, time to get into another 6-7 games of hell against the Oilers."  Then the Kings allowed 3 straight goals and then I had to adjust to, "All right, time to get swept by the Stars."  Then, a last minute PPG goal to tie the game and now it's official, Kings vs Oilers Round III.

Kempe made quick work in that OT goal.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....
« Reply #860 on: April 19, 2024, 04:19:06 AM »
I'm lol'g hard that the Knights lost to the Ducks.  Kinda pissed too, cuz I was looking forward to an Oilers/Knights series.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: April 19, 2024, 07:51:31 AM »
I'm lol'g hard that the Knights lost to the Ducks.  Kinda pissed too, cuz I was looking forward to an Oilers/Knights series.

They 100% threw that game. No way they wanted to play the Oilers in Rd.1.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #862 on: April 19, 2024, 08:46:10 AM »
Maybe they don't want to play the Oilers in round 1, but they got a pretty rough gauntlet to go through against the Central playoff teams.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: April 19, 2024, 09:08:54 AM »
Maybe they don't want to play the Oilers in round 1, but they got a pretty rough gauntlet to go through against the Central playoff teams.

Well yeah.....the Cup winner is coming from the Central IMO.....it's one of the three....AVs, Dallas or Vegas.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: April 19, 2024, 06:11:45 PM »
Well yeah.....the Cup winner is coming from the Central IMO.....it's one of the three....AVs, Dallas or Vegas.

The Avs aren't getting thru the Jets, so that'll be a neat trick.  Georgiev has not proven to be a consistent goalie.  It's gonna be a great series, but I think the Jets take it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: April 19, 2024, 06:25:49 PM »
Ok... just to get this out in case I forget tomorrow morning.

Atlantic
Fla v TBL
Bos v Tor (Tim, you better not be picking Toronto - you jinx them every year!  :lol)

Metro
NYR v Was
Car v NYI

Central
Dal v LVK
Wpg v Col

Pacific
Van v Nash
Edm v LAK

Atlantic Rd 1
Bos v TBL

Metro Rd 2
NYR v Car

Central Rd 2
Dal v Wpg

Pacific Rd 2
Edm v Nash

Eastern
Car v TBL

Western
Dal v Edm

Stanley Cup
Car v Edm

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: April 19, 2024, 07:09:35 PM »
The Avs aren't getting thru the Jets, so that'll be a neat trick.  Georgiev has not proven to be a consistent goalie.  It's gonna be a great series, but I think the Jets take it.

We shall see.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: April 19, 2024, 07:41:31 PM »
We shall see.

Georgiev - .897/3.02
Hellebucyk - .921/2.39

Here's the bigger stat - Helle led the league in goals saved above expectation - almost 32; Georgiev? MINUS 12

Clearly the Avs can out-score their defensive weaknesses - they led the league in GF.  But can they do that solely against the best goalie in the league?  Oh, and for goalies with 20+ starts, Broissot LEADS the league in SV% - .927 (thus giving the Jets the Jennings trophy).  Though, a quick scan of the past 10 years shows more than a couple of Jennings Trophy winning teams were bounced in the first round.   :lol

Still, they say defense wins championships.  I'll take the Jets defensive prowess over the Avs offense.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #868 on: April 19, 2024, 08:08:02 PM »
Ok... just to get this out in case I forget tomorrow morning.

Atlantic
Fla v TBL
Bos v Tor (Tim, you better not be picking Toronto - you jinx them every year!  :lol)

Metro
NYR v Was
Car v NYI

Central
Dal v LVK
Wpg v Col

Pacific
Van v Nash
Edm v LAK

Atlantic Rd 1
Bos v TBL

Metro Rd 2
NYR v Car

Central Rd 2
Dal v Wpg

Pacific Rd 2
Edm v Nash

Eastern
Car v TBL

Western
Dal v Edm

Stanley Cup
Car v Edm

Swap carolina for florida. Otherwise, that's my playoff bracket, too. Oilers win the cup in mine,  of course  ;)

Tampa will give them a run, but FLA is the better team.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: April 20, 2024, 12:45:59 PM »
We shall see.

Georgiev - .897/3.02
Hellebucyk - .921/2.39

Here's the bigger stat - Helle led the league in goals saved above expectation - almost 32; Georgiev? MINUS 12

Clearly the Avs can out-score their defensive weaknesses - they led the league in GF.  But can they do that solely against the best goalie in the league?  Oh, and for goalies with 20+ starts, Broissot LEADS the league in SV% - .927 (thus giving the Jets the Jennings trophy).  Though, a quick scan of the past 10 years shows more than a couple of Jennings Trophy winning teams were bounced in the first round.   :lol

Still, they say defense wins championships.  I'll take the Jets defensive prowess over the Avs offense.

Dumb stat.  Don't we expect them to save all of them? :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #870 on: April 20, 2024, 01:14:12 PM »
Atlantic
Fla v TBL

I'm not picking Toronto.  ;D

Seriously, before like the last 3 years or so, the Leafs were my preseason Cup pick.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #871 on: April 20, 2024, 03:37:36 PM »

Atlantic
Fla v TBL
Bos v Tor

Metro
NYR v Was
Car v NYI

Central
Dal v VGK
Wpg v Col

Pacific
Van v Nash
Edm v LAK

Atlantic Rd 1
Bos v TBL

Metro Rd 2
NYR v Car

Central Rd 2
Wpg v VGK

Pacific Rd 2
Van v Edm

Eastern
NYR v TBL

Western
Edm v VGK

Stanley Cup
NYR v VGK

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: April 20, 2024, 04:42:16 PM »
FML if Vegas makes the finals again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #873 on: April 20, 2024, 05:08:23 PM »
FML if Vegas makes the finals again.

It will be whoever wins the Dallas-Vegas series in the Finals.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: April 20, 2024, 07:05:46 PM »

Atlantic
Fla v TBL
Bos v Tor

Metro
NYR v Was
Car v NYI

Central
Dal v VGK
Wpg v Col

Pacific
Van v Nash
Edm v LAK

Atlantic Rd 1
Bos v TBL

Metro Rd 2
NYR v Car

Central Rd 2
Wpg v VGK

Pacific Rd 2
Van v Edm

Eastern
NYR v TBL

Western
Edm v VGK

Stanley Cup
NYR v VGK

I don't like it, personally (I want the Bruins to win it, and I don't really like Vegas, Tampa, or Edmonton), but that's a pretty realistic bracket right there.