Author Topic: Local Natives v. But I'll Wait For You (2024, Kelcey Ayer leaving)  (Read 2983 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

This album has been a LONG TIME COMING for me and the people who've been fans of this group since they were known as "Cavil at Rest"

https://www.myspace.com/localnatives

Camera Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcYCTPJFdM
Sun Hands (live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiduMkT8Rgc
Airplanes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EonnZ-8GdiY

Gorilla Manor comes out on November 2nd in the UK. Likely in March 2010 in the US.

01. Wide Eyes                   
02. Airplanes                     
03. Sun Hands                   
04. World News                  
05. Shape Shifter                  
06. Camera Talk                    
07. Cards And Quarters            
08. Warning Sign  (Talking Heads) 
09. Who Knows Who Cares          
10. Cubism Dream                
11. Stranger Things               
12. Sticky Thread                  

they're also an absolutely phenomenal live band. Here's their upcoming dates,

Oct 9 2009     7:00P
   Warwick University (NME Radar Tour)    Coventry, UK
Oct 10 2009    6:00P
   Civic Hall Bar (NME Radar Tour)    Wolverhampton, UK
Oct 12 2009    7:00P
   Waterfront (NME Radar Tour)    Norwich, UK
Oct 13 2009    7:00P
   Koko (NME Radar Tour)    London, UK
Oct 14 2009    7:00P
   Concorde 2 (NME Radar Tour)    Brighton, UK
Oct 15 2009    7:00P
   La Maroquinerie (w/ Peter, Bjorn and John)    Paris, France
Oct 16 2009    8:00P
   Paradiso    Amsterdam, Holland
Oct 17 2009    8:00P
   Bang Bang Club    Berlin, Germany
Oct 23 2009    12:00A
   CMJ Showcase @ Mercury Lounge w/ Patrick Watson, Alec Ounsworth, Sean Bones and more (21+)    New York, New York
Nov 1 2009    7:30P
   The Clubhouse w/ White Rabbits (allages)    Phoenix, Arizona
Nov 2 2009    8:00P
   El Rey w/ White Rabbits (allages)    Los Angeles, California
Nov 4 2009    8:00P
   Slim’s w/ White Rabbits (allages)    San Francisco, California
Nov 5 2009    8:00P
   Wonder Ballroom w/ White Rabbits (allages)    Portland, Oregon
Nov 6 2009    8:00A
   Biltmore Cabaret w/ White Rabbits (allages)    Vancouver, British Columbia
Nov 10 2009    8:00A
   3rd & Lindsley w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes and Fool’s Gold    Nashville, Tennessee
Nov 11 2009    8:00A
   40 Watt Club w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Athens, Georgia
Nov 15 2009    8:00A
   First Unitarian Church w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nov 16 2009    8:00A
   Black Cat w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Washington DC, Washington DC
Nov 17 2009    8:00A
   Bowery Ballroom w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    New York, New York
Nov 20 2009    8:00A
   The Starving Artist    Keene, New Hampshire
Nov 21 2009    8:00A
   Pearl Street Downstairs w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Northampton, Massachusetts
Nov 22 2009    8:00A
   Club Metronome w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Burlington, Vermont
Nov 23 2009    8:00A
   Petit Campus w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Montreal, Quebec
Nov 24 2009    8:00A
   El Mocambo w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Toronto, Ontario
Nov 27 2009    8:00A
   Lincoln Hall w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Chicago, Illinois
Nov 28 2009    8:00A
   High Noon Saloon w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Madison, Wisconsin
Nov 29 2009    8:00A
   Varsity Theater w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Minneapolis, Minnesota
Dec 1 2009    8:00A
   Boulder Theater w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Boulder, Colorado
Dec 2 2009    8:00A
   Velour w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Provo, Utah
Dec 3 2009    8:00A
   The Neurolux w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros & Fool’s Gold    Boise, Idaho
Dec 5 2009    8:00A
   Neumo’s w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Seattle, Washington
Dec 8 2009    8:00A
   Biltmore Cabaret w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Vancouver, British Columbia
Dec 9 2009    8:00A
   Doug Fir Lounge w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Portland, Oregon
Dec 10 2009    8:00A
   W.O.W. Hall w/ Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Fool’s Gold    Eugene, Oregon

if you like music such as Annuals, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Anathallo (among others) you should certainly check these guys out. Gorilla Manor doesn't have a bad song on it. Every track has either a great melody, vocal harmonies, energy, or something else about it to enjoy.

The entire thing is really good. Even though many of the songs I had heard previously, hearing them within this collection of songs, they seem to be given new life.

World News = great vocal harmony
Sun Hands = new arrangement totally works
Cards and Quarters = Dreamy mood
Wide Eyes = perfect opening track
Who Knows Who Cares = the buildup in this song rules
Warning Sign = they made this their own song in a lot of ways. The bass-line I cannot get out of my head. So funky.

There's already a pretty big buzz about this band, but 2010 very likely will when their name starts to spread.

I'm seeing them again on Sunday November 29th in Minneapolis (at the Varsity Theater too, my favorite venue in town!). I already PRE-ORDERED Gorilla Manor, so hopefully I'll be able to have the band sign my copy then.

This could easily be my favorite debut album of 2009. The material is just so strong, and very much of the level I hoped/expected. I wouldn't be surprised if like their great EP "Orion Way" when they were called "Cavil at Rest" I'm listening to Gorilla Manor still in the years to come.

Man is it sweet to see a great band start to go places you know they could.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:49:45 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Local Natives - Gorilla Manor (2009/2010)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:50:25 AM »
bump.

Another excellent show in Minneapolis tonight.

https://tinyurl.com/ylj8oxj

Saw them this evening, November 29th, 2009.

Set-list

Camera Talk
World News
Warning Sign
Airplanes
Wide Eyes
Shapeshifter
Who Knows, Who Cares
Sun Hands +jam

another energetic, uplifting live performance from the-next-big-thing (in Indie) err..not next to me of course considering I've loved them for nearly 3 years to the day/week as it was December'06 or January'07, I forget, when I was 1st introduced to the band, then known as Cavil at Rest.

Sun Hands is such a winner live. It absolutely kills every-time. Honest-to-god, they might be good to open with that track every show. I told Matt, their drummer, if they ever release a live album/dvd that has got to be on it.

And maybe most satisfying about this show, I am pretty certain, I was right. A lot of people had never heard them before and now dig them. Hopefully memories won't be short and come February, when they mentioned Gorilla Manor should drop in the US, those folks will remember and hound 89.3 to play them. And to be honest, they could play any number of songs off GM. If I picked one, I might suggest "World News"..the vocal-harmonies are just such a great representation about what they are about, a ton more people can and will enjoy them just for the vocal-harmonies on that track.

Interesting in talking with the band after the show and showing them my copy of "Gorilla Manor" they-had-not-seen-it yet in fact, lol. I felt so privileged yet embarrassed in a way. The special pre-order from Rough Trade

edit: for what it actually is worth, Gorilla Manor is their "album-of-the-month" lol. Very cool!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Wish I had noticed this thread the first time around... definitely would've gone to the Bowery show.  I'll be sure to check them out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »
new official video for "Airplanes"

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=102501078

Gorilla Manor is finally being released on February 16th, 2010 in the States.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
Just got announced for Bonnaroo.  I guess I'll finally get to check them out after all. :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
it's released tomorrow in the US.

Pitchfork gives it 8.4/10
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13925-gorilla-manor/

that may be good or may totally screw them over. I'm not sure what to think right now.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
bump?

so, more of you folks ever check this great band out?

some sad and cool news anyway just came across my radar about them.

Their longtime bass player Andy Hamm left the band.

Unfortunate News

It is with extremely heavy hearts that we announce that we have recently parted ways with our bassist Andy Hamm. Due to unresolved differences within the band, we strongly feel that, in order to continue in a positive direction, this is the best course of action. We wish Andy the best and will miss him deeply.

-Kelcey, Matt, Ryan and Taylor

and there is an upcoming Documentary film about them coming soon called "Almost Home" by these guys called High/Low. Here's a trailer
https://vimeo.com/18766429

for those who have yet to hear them, here's a couple of recent facts. They recently went on tour with The Antlers in Japan (and The Antlers guys are now big fans of Local Natives), and they are currently playing some shows with Arcade Fire.

So, the fact they are touring with Arcade Fire and did earlier with The Antlers, 2 bands who have many fans around here, I would think Local Natives being on tour with them would spark some interest.  ::)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
bump.

new album Hummingbird comes out today. It's different, but still really good.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
My brother went to highschool with most of these guys. That is all.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
I haven't listened to the new track yet, but Gorilla Manor is one of my favorite records. SO good.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
bump.

awesome new track "Past Lives"

https://soundcloud.com/local-natives/pastlives

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
Excited to see they're back in action. Can't wait for new stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 06:48:45 AM »
super old bump.

Local Natives released a new record dropped a few weeks ago. Petty good album imo and better than the last 1.

The band have tour dates coming up supporting this record, but also have announced original member/multi-instrumentalists and vocalist Kelcey Ayer is leaving the band after the tour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6XIftgS6f-/?img_index=1