Author Topic: Vintage Audio  (Read 1256 times)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
Vintage Audio
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
I'm wanting to start investing in audio equipment.  I've had my turntable hooked up to my mom's old Sansui receiver for awhile, and it's okay, but it's not great.  One of my mentors has made a living doing audio work, and knows his stuff when it comes to vintage audio, so I have a pretty good idea what to look for.  I was curious, though, who here in DTF land has/uses real stereo systems, what they like, etc.  Pictures too, if you got them.

Really, just go crazy.  I'm a sponge ready to soak up your thoughts and opinions.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Vintage Audio
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
The thread immediatly brought up memories of my parent's old stereo reciever from back in the late 70s, which I do believe is still kicking ass today over at my brother's house(they just don't make 'em like they used to). The sound out of this thing was unparalleled.....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:56:34 PM »
I'll be following along with this thread as my receiver crapped out a few weeks ago so I am looking to pick up something new along with a set of new speakers. 

BTW that receiver looks kick ass lonestar!  My father still has his that's decades old and it still works beautifully.  My Aiwa crapped out after 15 years which I think is fairly reliable by today's standards.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
Yeah, I gotta call my bro and see if the old girl is still kicking.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »
Take a look at these headphones. :omg:

My dad has a set of these, they're vintage 60's or 70's 2-way headphones. By far the best sounding headphones I've ever used, though they are quite large and heavy. Individual volume controls on each ear, for some reason. The main drivers are 9cm in diameter, which is fucking huge for headphones, and it showed because the low frequency response is fantastic.

They really knew how to build things back then. They have some plastic for rounding out at the back of the drivers as you can see, but it is ridiculously thick and hard. Everything else is metal, even an impenetrable metal grill protecting the front of each driver. The leather (is that what they used?) padding is so thick and soft, completely surrounding the ears blocking almost all outside noise, and built to last too, no tearing even after decades of age and use. Not like the shit these days that has little pieces flaking off after only a couple of years of casual use.

Apparently, they currently reside in a box somewhere in his house.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
The amplifier that I bought during college about 15 years ago is still faithfully doing its duty at a friend's place who I sold it to 12 years ago. Quite amazing really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:02:22 AM »
I bought a small vintage component stereo when I started my job and am happy with it  :)

Harman Kardon 330c receiver
Sony PS-LX340 turntable
Technics SL-P420 CD player (found this jewel in a pawn shop for $15, originally $450 in 1987 and still works beautifully)
Boston Acoustic A60 speakers
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »
Before I moved into my own place, I had plans of getting an old tube amplifier and turntable with my JBL L166 speakers (im pretty sure thats the model number.  The photo looks exactly like them)

I realize now that I have my own space, I hardly ever listen to music at home, so it never became a priority.  I do intend on using these speakers with my current setup once I have the space for them, however.  The foam around the woofer is rotted out, but there are kits to repair this.  I found this place that sells a re-foam kit based on the dimensions you provide them.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
The foam around the woofer is rotted out, but there are kits to repair this.  I found this place that sells a re-foam kit based on the dimensions you provide them.

My brother got the speakers that my parents had while we were growing up (a pair of Realistic bookshelf speakers from the late 70s) and the woofers were disintegrated.  He ended up buying new woofers for it and they sounded great.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
Most of the original audio equipment I bought in the 70's and 80's is gone now, having given out after 15 or 20 years, which isn't too bad.  I still have two sets of speakers and my original headphones, though, and they still sound great.  The headphones are the big "cover the ear" type like the picture above, though not quite so thick.  Just used them this morning, in fact, working on some tunes.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
my parent's old stereo reciever from back in the late 70s, which I do believe is still kicking ass today over at my brother's house

Same here on both counts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson