Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 306868 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2065 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
ok... 'better' music.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2066 on: December 17, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
Tony Banks of Genesis once cited Pet Shop Boys as one of his favorite bands.  I figured if one of my favorite composers names them as a favorite, they're worth checking out.  I did, and while they had a good sound and great production, I didn't find anything particularly mindblowing about their music.  Better, or at least less offensive, than most 80's stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2067 on: December 17, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
Actually, a lot of their post-80s material is their best stuff.  Very, Nightlife, Fundamental and Yes are all chock full of good songs.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2068 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
Ah ha, the anomoly.  The band whose better material came later, not earlier in their catalogue!

Now I have to hunt down some later Pet Shop Boys.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2069 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
I never delved beyond West End Girls and What Have I Done To Deserve This.  Not bad though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2070 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
Phil Collins - Sussudio

Awful.  This is one of those songs that should be put in a coffin and buried forever.  It's that bad.  And it went to number 1! Yikes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
Agreed. How did this become huge?

Wait... how did Phil Collins become huge?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2072 on: December 18, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »

Wait... how did Phil Collins become huge?

As a solo artist, I think In the Air Tonight was what really launched him.  And that is a great song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2073 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
Phil became huge by growing a mullet of course.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2074 on: December 18, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »
The crowd in that video has to go in the 80's fashion hall of fame.  And they don't even look like they're having much fun until the director tells them to start dancing and clapping.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2075 on: December 18, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
The only thing I really like about Sussudio is the fact that the title was just something Phil sang to fit the melody, and he never found anything to replace it, so it stuck.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2076 on: December 18, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
I quite like this song. In fact, No Jacket Required is my favorite Phil Collins album, and also one of my favorite pop/rock albums of all time.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2077 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
I don't dislike ANYTHING from Phil Collins.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2078 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »
It's catchy, and the horns are great.  Can't say I like the song, though.

The live version with the Phil Collins Big Band smokes, though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2079 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Phil Collins - Sussudio

Awful.  This is one of those songs that should be put in a coffin and buried forever.  It's that bad.  And it went to number 1! Yikes.

Right on, Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2080 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok

I had completely forgot about this song until last week! I remember digging it when I was a kid, especially musically.  I was never a big fan of the talking style of the verses, but I liked the chorus.  And the song is still wicked cool musically. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2081 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK AND THE CHORUS IS STUCK IN YOUR HEAD!

Dammit Kev, another earworm I thought defeated.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2082 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »
Catchy song, one of those rare 80's tunes that I actually have on my iPod.

Things I learned/realized while trying to hunt down an mp3 of this song:
  • Murray Head was Judas Iscariot in the Broadway version of Jesus Christ Superstar.  That's my favorite version, I've listened to it hundreds of times, and I never recognized his voice.
  • The song is from the Broadway version of the musical "Chess".  For some reason, it is nearly impossible to find this version.  Instead, the London version is everywhere, but the cast is different, and the story is actually quite different (for one thing, they completely changed the ending).  But the soundtrack with Murray Head is nowhere to be found.
  • I was listening to the soundtrack, and sometimes the chorus would come in and the female voices would do a run in tight harmony and I'd say "What is this, ABBA?"  The music was written by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, the guys from ABBA, who also wrote most that group's music.

End of music lesson.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2083 on: December 19, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK AND THE CHORUS IS STUCK IN YOUR HEAD!

Dammit Kev, another earworm I thought defeated.  :lol

:biggrin:

Catchy song, one of those rare 80's tunes that I actually have on my iPod.

Things I learned/realized while trying to hunt down an mp3 of this song:
  • Murray Head was Judas Iscariot in the Broadway version of Jesus Christ Superstar.  That's my favorite version, I've listened to it hundreds of times, and I never recognized his voice.
  • The song is from the Broadway version of the musical "Chess".  For some reason, it is nearly impossible to find this version.  Instead, the London version is everywhere, but the cast is different, and the story is actually quite different (for one thing, they completely changed the ending).  But the soundtrack with Murray Head is nowhere to be found.
  • I was listening to the soundtrack, and sometimes the chorus would come in and the female voices would do a run in tight harmony and I'd say "What is this, ABBA?"  The music was written by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, the guys from ABBA, who also wrote most that group's music.

End of music lesson.

Interesting.  Not sure of the difference, but I did find what I knew as the normal version of this song on amazon immediately.  Only cost me 99 cents. :tup :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
KevShmev: How do you find the songs that you decide to make the Song Of The Day?

First I thought you chose from your favourites, but I very soon realised that's not the case :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2085 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
Well, $@%!

Yeah, I just went to Amazon and the original soundtrack was even listed first, before the London one.  I guarantee you, five years ago that was not the case.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: December 19, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »
KevShmev: How do you find the songs that you decide to make the Song Of The Day?

First I thought you chose from your favourites, but I very soon realised that's not the case :lol

Looks through his old VHS tapes. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2087 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

I have a master 80s playlist in iTunes, that includes my favorites and whatnot.  I then made a duplicate playlist titled DTF 80s, and then I added a bunch of 80s songs many would call essential, but ones I don't like enough to have in my own playlist, since, as a completist, I do have quite a few mp3s of songs I am iffy on, and then there are songs I might remember when seeing them on Totally 80s (but don't have an mp3 of).  And then I just randomly pick songs from it and delete them from the DTF 80s playlist so I know not to accidently feature them again.  So, if I ever accidently feature a song I've already done, it's cause I forgot to delete it. :lol

Well, $@%!

Yeah, I just went to Amazon and the original soundtrack was even listed first, before the London one.  I guarantee you, five years ago that was not the case.

Hehe, there ya go. :)

Looks through his old VHS tapes. :biggrin:

:lol Funny you say that, as I do still have four or five old 6-hour VHS tapes from the 80s just full of videos, but they are useless now, what with me not really having a working VCR anymore.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2088 on: December 19, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
In the version I have, there's an orchestral instrumental titled "Bangkok" which leads directly into the song "One Night in Bangkok".  The volume on the instrumental is really low compared to the song.  Is it that way on your copy?  It seems like such a cool tune, but when I'm shuffling, it's half over before I realize that it's even playing because it's so quiet.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
[Murray Head was Judas Iscariot in the Broadway version of Jesus Christ Superstar.  That's my favorite version, I've listened to it hundreds of times, and I never recognized his voice.

This version of the album is stellar, between him and Ian Gillan, and everyone else. Maybe because it was the first I heard, but every other verison just sounds... wrong. I know that isn't fair, but I can't listen to any other version. I get chills when he gets to "I shall be dragged through the slime and the, slime and the, slime and the mud!!!"

Interestly, I've never heard him doing anything else. I've heard this song, but never knew it was him.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
Kev, no lie, I just threw out about 45 VHS tapes when we cleaned out the basement.  All I recorded over the years.  I do have a VCR in the bedroom we never use. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: December 19, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
I had forgotten about this song too, but it for some reason jumped into my consciousness a few weeks back.  Didn't have it in my library, so thank god for the internet.

Totally dug this tune back in the day, and still do.  Eletronic, pop, and a little prog in there all at once.  Here's a one hit wonder.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: December 19, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
Kev, no lie, I just threw out about 45 VHS tapes when we cleaned out the basement.  All I recorded over the years.  I do have a VCR in the bedroom we never use. :lol

come on be honest you use it as a clock
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Kev, no lie, I just threw out about 45 VHS tapes when we cleaned out the basement.  All I recorded over the years.  I do have a VCR in the bedroom we never use. :jets:

come on be honest you use it as a clock

Or it's always flashing 12:00

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2094 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »

I won't lie, either: there will probably come a day very soon where I have to throw out all of my VHS tapes - probably 100+ when you count ones full of videos, old wrestling shows in the late 80s/early 90s, sitcoms (I still have almost every episode of Cheers on VHS), movies, etc. - and it will make me a bit sad when I finally have to do it. :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2095 on: December 19, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
In the version I have, there's an orchestral instrumental titled "Bangkok" which leads directly into the song "One Night in Bangkok".  The volume on the instrumental is really low compared to the song.  Is it that way on your copy?  It seems like such a cool tune, but when I'm shuffling, it's half over before I realize that it's even playing because it's so quiet.

I don't think so.  It seems fine. :shrug

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: December 19, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »

I won't lie, either: there will probably come a day very soon where I have to throw out all of my VHS tapes - probably 100+ when you count ones full of videos, old wrestling shows in the late 80s/early 90s, sitcoms (I still have almost every episode of Cheers on VHS), movies, etc. - and it will make me a bit sad when I finally have to do it. :(

I had a whack load of things on VHS that were irreplaceable.  About a year ago, I got myself a USB-RCA dongle, the appropriate software, and 'ripped' all my VHS tapes, along with all my Hi-8 camcorder tapes.  Now everything is digitized, and I don't need to keep a VCR just for the heck of it, or the physical space of all those cassettes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: December 19, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
Guys, guys!  I have a cable box for the time!  It's for all my old pronos.  Come on now.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2098 on: December 19, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok

I had completely forgot about this song until last week! I remember digging it when I was a kid, especially musically.  I was never a big fan of the talking style of the verses, but I liked the chorus.  And the song is still wicked cool musically.

YES!  I've always loved this song! :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2099 on: December 19, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

I don't think so.  It seems fine. :shrug

Damn, I may have to bust out 99 cents and upgrade my copy.