Author Topic: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(  (Read 12342 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(
« on: November 04, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
Thought I'd go ahead and make an official thread for these guys as they do deserve their own thread. 

Will be interesting to follow the movements of where Alexi ends up with COB with the departure of Janne, Jaska and Henkka.

Not that this thread will get much traffic but updates can be posted to not lose track of where everything is up to.

Good luck to Alexi moving forward.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:16:19 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The official Children of Bodom thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
I personally don't care for them and was actually looking for a thread like this when I saw the story for, if nothing else, to have someone do a wellness check on DaveManchester because I know he's pretty fond of the band.

Back on the old MP site he was really banging the drum for these guys.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
The idea is to actually have a thread while the band is together. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
The idea is to actually have a thread while the band is together. :lol

I did think that but fuck it.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »
Will add that I was spinning some Sinergy for Tim's roulette and never really realized how cool Suicide By My Side is.  Very cool album with lots of great shred from Alexi and Roope.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 03:36:15 PM »
I've lost track of them since a few albums back, so the news about everybody leaving (well, almost everybody) came out of nowhere to me. I've never thought Wirman could leave COB.

I love the first 5 albums, I was hoping to catch them live someday soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:39:52 PM »
I've lost track of them since a few albums back, so the news about everybody leaving (well, almost everybody) came out of nowhere to me. I've never thought Wirman could leave COB.

I love the first 5 albums, I was hoping to catch them live someday soon.

They had a slight return to form with Hexed but the few before that were average at best.  I did quite like I Worship Chaos though.  That had a few cool tunes.

Yeah, this news did come out of nowhere considering the more older school direction they gave us on Hexed.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 02:06:46 AM »
@wolfking, you beat me too it, I was going to start a thread after work today, but didn't quite get around to it.
I've seen the band a few times over the years and have always been good value.
Also a big fan of the Warman albums, Janne always wrote good songs and had good singers on his albums.
Got to see Sinergy supporting Dark Tranquillity in London 2002, wonder what ever happened to Kimberly Goss?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 04:07:37 AM »
The Warmen albums are pretty good.  Some really nice instrumental work on there too.

Yeah I never followed Goss so dunno what happened to her.  Disappeared after Alexi gave her the boot haha.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
Got to see Sinergy supporting Dark Tranquillity in London 2002, wonder what ever happened to Kimberly Goss?
She gave an interview regarding her post-Sinergy life in 2012, though of course it's been 7 years now and things may have changed since then: https://noisecreep.com/kimberly-goss/

Someone who said he knows a COB insider spilled some details regarding the split on a Finnish forum, but he deleted those posts after others criticized him for sharing the band's private matters in public, so I won't reveal them here. Anyway, Janne said the guys will give more info once the tour is done, so I'm looking forward to hearing the full story (or at least bits of it) from their point of view.

COB was the first band with screaming vocals that I liked and it opened up a whole new world to me, so they'll always have a special place in my heart, even though I stopped following and listening to them actively after RRF. At least Hexed was a slight return to form, so they're not going out with a whimper.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
I also really like Warmen, specially the instrumental songs, they're awesome and Janne is a great keyboardist.

I still have yet to hear Hexed, I've heard it's a return to form, but with so many new music this year I haven't find the time to listen to it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 05:37:09 AM »
Anyway, Janne said the guys will give more info once the tour is done, so I'm looking forward to hearing the full story (or at least bits of it) from their point of view.
Same. I don't expect anything too juicy to be said, just maybe something about their own future plans. We know from the band's split with Roope that Alexi won't ever air out a personal conflict until the other person comes at him first, and that he will ask the other person not to do it, as well.

While there is something strange about all the original band members just moving on at the same time and cancelling tours and appearances that were already advertised, the fact they took the rights for the name shows (to me) that they have worked out a solution how to keep earning from CoB (I suppose merch with the old name will still be printed, old CDs and vinyls will still be sold) while not being obliged to actually tour and record new albums just to keep the lights on. That requires a certain level of cooperation.

I don't think this will happen, but it would be SUPER interesting if they carried on together in a new band. I always wondered how much Janne contributed to the music, there's loads of Bodom in Warmen.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:07:55 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
I missed that there was a falling out between Alexi and Roope.

I always thought Janne was a major influence in their sound also, based on a lot of the Warmen albums.  Haven't listened to them in a long time but off the top of my head the title track to Beyond Abilities, fuck me that's Bodom all over.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 11:53:38 PM »
Roope briefly returned to the public eye 2 years ago, giving an interview where he threw the band under the bus: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-children-of-bodom-guitarist-roope-latvala-says-he-was-stabbed-in-the-back-by-his-former-bandmates/ Then earlier this year Alexi's biography was published in Finland and he revealed that Roope had missed half the rehearsals in his last 2 years in the band and he would routinely fail to return calls. The final straw was when he showed up a week late to the I Worship Chaos sessions, giving lame excuses and not even apologizing for his behavior, and his playing was sloppy as hell. He walked away with 200K € and both parties signed an agreement that prevented them from going public with the circumstances of the split, but since Roope violated it, Alexi felt he had the right to share his side of the story as well. (I haven't read the book, but this story was all over the media here when it came out)

Like the two of you, I also hear a lot of Bodom in Warmen, even in little things like the humorous cover song choices and the movie samples. I've heard from someone in the know that Alexander Kuoppala wasn't totally happy with the way Alexi would take sole credit for nearly all the compositions, even though the rest of the band would sometimes make drastic changes to the songs in the arrangement process, and that would certainly support the theory that at least Janne had a bigger impact on the music than the writing credits let on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 04:06:11 AM »
I reckon Roope wouldn't have taken to well with Alexi still being the lead player and Roope strictly rhythm either.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Was listening to the Warman albums and only then realised that both former Stratovarius (Jari Kainulainen) and future bassist Lauri Porra both played with Janne.

Also I noticed how good these albums sound, specially the first three.
I'm trying to track down a CD version of the First of the Five Elements crowd funding album.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 02:36:34 AM »
Another new interview with Alexi in Finnish - now he's walking back his original claim that there was no drama: https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000006302896.html

He says that a year ago the guys had agreed to continue in the band until the end of 2020, but there was a big fight(s) on the recent Russian tour, which he admits was mainly his own fault, and it seemed like the band might break up right away. After things calmed down, they decided to play the December dates and then part ways.

This wouldn't be the first time he says there was a mutual understanding between everyone, only for it to turn out to be untrue a while later... (*cough* Roope *cough*)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »
https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/11/19/alexi-laiho-could-be-forced-to-re-name-children-of-bodom/?fbclid=IwAR2cdfKkiWo1_KgnknQtk_0HeEmAJxn_S97YYuSbz-vINwamzGOEdzrI3_Q

According to Finland’s Soundi, the Bodom brand is owned by a company called AA & Sewira Consulting Oy… and that company is, in turn, owned by Wirman, Raatikainen, and Blacksmith. The trio “applied for the right to the Children of Bodom trademark last summer,” and the trademark was granted in October of this year. In other words, Laiho can’t legally use the Children of Bodom name without the permission of the three musicians who just quit the band.

Whatever happened between the band  members, it must have been pretty bad if the three guys who quit the band went behind Alexi's back to trademark the band name.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »
The irony is that, if the original band would have been called just Bodom, "Children of Bodom" would have been a legit successor name, kinda like Dio Disciples  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »
https://www.metalsucks.net/2019/11/19/alexi-laiho-could-be-forced-to-re-name-children-of-bodom/?fbclid=IwAR2cdfKkiWo1_KgnknQtk_0HeEmAJxn_S97YYuSbz-vINwamzGOEdzrI3_Q

According to Finland’s Soundi, the Bodom brand is owned by a company called AA & Sewira Consulting Oy… and that company is, in turn, owned by Wirman, Raatikainen, and Blacksmith. The trio “applied for the right to the Children of Bodom trademark last summer,” and the trademark was granted in October of this year. In other words, Laiho can’t legally use the Children of Bodom name without the permission of the three musicians who just quit the band.

Whatever happened between the band  members, it must have been pretty bad if the three guys who quit the band went behind Alexi's back to trademark the band name.

Damn, this just gets juicier.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
The irony is that, if the original band would have been called just Bodom, "Children of Bodom" would have been a legit successor name, kinda like Dio Disciples  :lol

There would be plenty to choose from, including CoB songs that have Bodom in the title:
Bastards Of Bodom
Bodom After Midnight
Bodom Beach Terror

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Bodom and No More-a
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
They could presumably call themselves Bodom, considering it's the name of place and so surely can't be trademarked.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
I don't think it's possible that they went behind his back. It appears that Alexi left the company and the name voluntarily. I mean, I do think it was bad, even Alexi is pivoting from saying there was no drama and now he claims there was that one major fight that was his fault. But since being the main ones in the company and trademarking the band name is a major boon to them, and if Alexi was against that he would probably contest that and get pissed, then they must have asked for it or received it... in exchange for what? Maybe they were pissed because if Alexi is credited as the sole writer and he makes all the business decisions in the company entity, he earns the most from the band, and they get to feel like hired guns in a band they are an equal part of. So maybe this was their way of keeping something even if they disagree with him or they are fighting and can't spend time together anymore, but want to end the active part of CoB with its legacy intact. I guess, in exchange, Alexi gets to do whatever the hell he wants in a new band, hire young guns for a smaller salary, and keep up the rock'n'roll lifestyle and the touring income.

Either way, more on the band name and legacy will come out after the final shows. Probably not much about the drama - they probably agreed to stay silent on why they can't seem to stand each other anymore. 

:'(

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
I suddenly look like a genius starting this thread.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »
I suddenly look like a genius starting this thread.

Some genius.

Gets the Carriage Thread locked, and breaks up the band. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
Oof!!  :'(

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 04:15:24 AM »
Alexi is back with new band aptly named Bodom After Midnight.
https://www.facebook.com/bodomaftermidnightofficial

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 05:45:32 AM »
Dunno what to think about that.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
Alexi kinda looks like a bar-weathered goth cam girl these days.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 05:52:44 AM »
Alexi kinda looks like a bar-weathered goth cam girl these days.

:lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:30 AM »
Yesterday I was looking up some credits on Metal Archives, came to a song some of the guys played on, saw (ex-Children Of Bodom) next to their names and just got unbearably sad.

I don't know if this new band will work at all. The new guys are all the guys ? and I thought might be in the running, but none of them excite me. The drummer pick is interesting, seeing how Paradise Lost is kinda gearing up to be more active (from my impression). The press release cast some unnecessary shade on the old guys, I really don't buy that everything is now fine between them after reading that, and Alexi needs to stop changing the story about when he exactly decided to shake things up and/or call it quits. If the rest of the guys get tired of him doing that and decide to put out their version of the story out there it probably won't be too pretty. It's also interesting they don't even have a permanent keyboard player right now, you'd think that's the key person (no pun intended) to look for.

I love the name though. Bodom After Midnight. Fucking rad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 05:18:38 AM »
Yeah I don't hold out much hope for this either to be honest.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 03:09:29 AM »
Guitarist Alexi Laiho deceased
One of the most renowned guitarists in the world, Alexi Laiho, has passed away. The musician, most notably known as the front man of Children of Bodom, died in his home in Helsinki, Finland, last week. Laiho had suffered from long-term health issues during his last years.
Alexi Laiho and drummer Jaska Raatikainen founded Children of Bodom in 1993, and the band was one of the most internationally acclaimed metal acts in Finland up until their very last farewell concert in December of 2019. Last year Alexi Laiho put together Bodom After Midnight, who recorded three songs and shot one music video, which will be released later on posthumously.
Besides Children of Bodom, Laiho was known for acts such as Warmen, Sinergy, Kylähullut and The Local Band. Awarded with a Metal Hammer Golden Gods and several other international prizes, the guitarist was also the main star, leading a group of one hundred guitar players at Helsinki Festival in 2015 in "100 Guitars From Hel" – a massive concert piece he composed.
"We are crushed by the sudden passing of our dear friend and band member. Words cannot describe this shock and the profound sadness that we feel", Daniel Freyberg, Mitja Toivonen and Waltteri Väyrynen from Bodom After Midnight state.
The talented guitarist and musician relished his roles as stepdad in his patchwork family, and as uncle and godfather. Especially during the last years, the important family ties brought a welcomed balance to his life and the active touring. Laiho was particularly close with his big sister, parents and his sister's daughter. Laiho's sister says:
"We are all absolutely shocked and devastated. We ask for privacy and understanding during these hard times. My little brother's funeral will take place privately."
Alexi Laiho will also be deeply missed by his family in Australia.
"Alexi was the most loving and magnificent husband and father. Our hearts are eternally broken", Kelli Wright-Laiho says.
The remaining members of Bodom After Midnight do not give any interviews at this time.
Jouni Markkanen
Bodom After Midnight management