Author Topic: Dream Theater (and others) haters... WHY?!?! -RANT-  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Dream Theater (and others) haters... WHY?!?! -RANT-
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
:corn

This thread is going to go places.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
And there's also the point that being able to play your.instrument fast has absolutely no bearing on how good the music you make is

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
Ok... long story short... Why is it that people who dislike a band (in this case, dream theater) feel the need to sit and talk sh*t?  I mean seriously... One of my best friend's girlfriend (and his gf's daughter) absolutly hates Dream Theater... and that's fine... BUT why do they feel need to talk shit. "Dream Theater is gay"... ok... why do you feel this way? what is it about them you don't like? ... to copy and past my rant from earlier on facebook

"Yes my favourite band is Dream Theater. If you were to look at my blood cells through a microscope, you would see the Majesty Symbol etched onto each one. And i don't mind if people don't like 'em. But they don't have to continuously talk shit. I never talk shit about what they listen to. The only musical acts i ever talk shit about are Justin Beiber and Avenged Sevenfold. Why? because Justin Beiber is a talentless hack who is famous for no reason... and I just dislike A7X... unoriginal and half the time they can't even play thier instruments. . The Portnoy thing isn't even a factor in it. "

... argh

any ideas on why people are so closed minded?

Edit: i forgot to mention the fact that what set me off is people  will sit and talk shit, without anything to back it.

person:"dream theater is gay" ...
me : "ok why do you dislike them?"
person: "cuz they're gay"

state an arguement

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
And there's also the point that being able to play your.instrument fast has absolutely no bearing on how good the music you make is
This. I listen to Doom Metal which is probably some of the most simplistic music aside from Punk Rock. And I find Doom to be more enjoyable than prog most of the time (I do enjoy some prog, but still).

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »

There was a brilliant moment in a Steven Wilson interview I read where the interviewer asked if he cared about being a guitar virtuoso, and SW said, 'no I don't, it would be like me talking incredibly fast in this conversation. Sure it's fast, but there would be no emotion in my voice and you wouldn't be able to understand what I'm saying.' The analogy made me lol.

And to be honest, I often revel in my friends' hatred of some of the music I listen to. I have one friend that constantly refuses to listen to Tool because I told him about the Fibonacci thing in Lateralus, and now I just try and make them sound as pretentious as possible to piss him off, which is hopefully fun for both of us really.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:30:39 PM by Marvellous G »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
When people mindlessly bash bands they don't like, I just say "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

"Now go, and sin no more."   :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »
 :hefdaddy

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
When people mindlessly bash bands they don't like, I just say "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

:metal

thread is officially over, no point posting here anymore, mods please lock

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
Ask them what makes them homosexual and then drop kick them in the face.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
A lot of DT fans can be just as annoying.

Infact, from experience, i've realised that a large number of DT fans instantly think they have this 'elite' opinion about music, just because they listen to DT.

I can tell from the OP that i'd end up clashing with him big time. If you get upset/frustrated over someone not liking your favourite band, then you're going to be hard to deal with.

I defend DT on occasion, but there are times when i'd agree with people who don't like the band. They are not the be all and end all in progressive rock.

I never said DT was a better band or the best band or w/e. in my opinion, yes they are, but that is my opinion. What is fact is that they are more technically proficient than most bands out there. I don't push them on other people, and, like i said, If i dislike a band/group... w/e, i state why.

This is the kind of post i'm talking about.

Okay, you state that they are the best band ever, but have you listened to every other band? I'd be inclined to say you have listened to very little progressive rock/metal just from reading the above statement.

And it's certainly not 'fact' they are technically more proficient! This is the reason why people won't take you seriously. There are plenty of technically outstanding bands out there who could even dwarf the technicality level of DT.

And it clearly does feel like you push this agenda on people. The fact you've made a thread on this very subject is proof enough.

Great, great post. :clap:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Maybe we should declare a Dream Theater war on Youtube....threaten to shut down every anti-DT website/review, and hack into other people's comp's using their IP addresses.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TL

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
Typically, if someone hates something I like, I just don't give a shit and move on. Pretty much the only time it actually gets to me is when it's obvious that they're just parroting what they've heard other people say, and don't actually know what the fuck they're talking about. I still usually won't dignify that kind of bullshit with a response, but it's fucking irritating.

It's like, you're allowed to dislike something, but at least have an informed opinion and know what the hell you're talking about if you're going to go on and on about it.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
inb4 :lokked:

Also: You can't expect people to tell your fav band sucks in an immature and childish way when you do the same. If you do that, you have no right to talk and rant about respectful criticism. And you do. So there. DEAL WITH IT

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Arguing over music is just stupid in general. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »
And I care why
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »
Not gonna lie, I have no idea who 75% of the people who posted on the first page are.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
Not gonna lie, I have no idea who 75% of the people who posted on the first page are.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »
Some friends this OP has. Either punch their lights out or simply ignore them and continue with your love for whatever music you love.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »
there's a difference between an unusual key and the wrong key. the arpeggio he used was in the wrong scale for that particular chord progression. listen to it. the notes rub badly.

2:19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atm6HiZNPU

BRB grooving to Scream.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »

does that mean satriani is god almighty?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:06 AM »
We be hatin on other people's music more than they be hatin on us fool, prog and metal fans? bitch please, we're the trouble son in the music family.. (rap is the son that goes to jail though, but the rest of the family accept him the way he is heh)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
I have this discussion with my brother alot, and it is a discussion not an argument, but just a matter of different opinions. My brother has been a musician for over 30 years and although we both grew up listening to the same music as we got older we went in different directions. We both started with bands like Queen/Zep/Deep Purple and both loved the NWoBHM but from there I went more towards the thrash movement whereas he went for the more simplistic punk sound. He appreciates DT as musicians and he has said that individually they are among the best at what they do, but as a whole, its just to complicated and drawn out for him to fully enjoy it. He would rather listen and play something with a simple 4/4 beat, with a grooving bass line and a nasty straightforward riff thats over with in 3-4 minutes.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.