Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 168449 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1015 on: August 23, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »
Running back through FF7 Remake on PS5. Being able to play the game at 60 FPS is awesome. Combat feels so great.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: August 23, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
Started playing Apex Legends again, it's season 10 and I haven't played since season 2 started.  I'm sooo bad  :lol but I don't think I've run into a cheater so at least I feel like I'm legit competing and not just getting pissed off like I had been with COD. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1017 on: August 23, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »
Started playing Apex Legends again, it's season 10 and I haven't played since season 2 started.  I'm sooo bad  :lol but I don't think I've run into a cheater so at least I feel like I'm legit competing and not just getting pissed off like I had been with COD.

I feel like I have been seeing a lot of articles on cheating problems for Apex as well, but since I tend to prefer offline or PvE coop games, I thankfully don't run into cheaters that affect me that much.

I do feel the scope of cheating has gotten a bit out of hand in online games lately. I read that CoD Warzone removed like 500000 cheaters in about a year. And apparently it still is a huge problem despite half a million bans. That is just nuts. And I feel a lot of more subtle methods go undetected, as the controller add ons you mentioned a while back, for example.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: August 23, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »

I feel like I have been seeing a lot of articles on cheating problems for Apex as well, but since I tend to prefer offline or PvE coop games, I thankfully don't run into cheaters that affect me that much.

I do feel the scope of cheating has gotten a bit out of hand in online games lately. I read that CoD Warzone removed like 500000 cheaters in about a year. And apparently it still is a huge problem despite half a million bans. That is just nuts. And I feel a lot of more subtle methods go undetected, as the controller add ons you mentioned a while back, for example.

My understanding is cheating does happen in Apex, but they have an anti-cheat in the game so it's not nearly as bad as COD.  The COD ban waves do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  It's a free game, they ban the account not the hardware, so the cheaters just create a new account.  It's kind of sad that one of the big features they are advertising for the next COD is an anti-cheat.  But it's like.... why not just implement it now and not wait until November?  We all know the reason... to sell the new game, but still, it would be great to do something positive for the community after 1.5 years of cheaters and only getting worse.

It's also really sad that it's come to the point where such a significant amount of the player base will cheat to win.  I can't help but feel like this is some sort of sign of where our society has come.  That winning at all costs is more important than actually learning and gaining skill.  I don't even know how it's fun to cheat.  Maybe for a game or two just to piss people off, but after that?  Where's the pleasure of making a crazy skilled play or winning a undermanned battle?  I have some very strong emotions against cheating and it goes beyond just in video games. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1019 on: August 24, 2021, 07:55:41 AM »
For those into retro games and into collecting and wondering why some prices have become insane, this is an interesting watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLFEh7V18A. I am thankful I don't have the need to collect sealed copies and don't care for gradings or anything like that. But this does suck.

I do feel US prices are waaay worse than EU (PAL) prices though. 3DS prices, for example, have become wild in the US. But over here I feel it is still all relatively affordable.

(I don't really collect, but I do have a list of games I want to own physical. And in some cases, such as the DS and 3DS, it is likely that some games will officially only have physical releases).

My understanding is cheating does happen in Apex, but they have an anti-cheat in the game so it's not nearly as bad as COD.  The COD ban waves do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  It's a free game, they ban the account not the hardware, so the cheaters just create a new account.  It's kind of sad that one of the big features they are advertising for the next COD is an anti-cheat.  But it's like.... why not just implement it now and not wait until November?  We all know the reason... to sell the new game, but still, it would be great to do something positive for the community after 1.5 years of cheaters and only getting worse.

It's also really sad that it's come to the point where such a significant amount of the player base will cheat to win.  I can't help but feel like this is some sort of sign of where our society has come.  That winning at all costs is more important than actually learning and gaining skill.  I don't even know how it's fun to cheat.  Maybe for a game or two just to piss people off, but after that?  Where's the pleasure of making a crazy skilled play or winning a undermanned battle?  I have some very strong emotions against cheating and it goes beyond just in video games.

I don't understand the appeal either.

Even in singleplayer games cheats make the achievements feel diminished (though I do use save states in old retro games, which tend to be short games made long because you need to restart the game if you die too much).

On consoles a ban at least have a bit more heft due to the closed ecosystem. But even there the subtle methods seem to have become much more popular (and probably near indistinguishable from extremely skilled players). I find it highly suspect when a gun stays dead center when watching a kill cam, especially with the use of controllers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:11:23 AM by ErHaO »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: August 24, 2021, 08:37:48 AM »
On consoles a ban at least have a bit more heft due to the closed ecosystem. But even there the subtle methods seem to have become much more popular (and probably near indistinguishable from extremely skilled players). I find it highly suspect when a gun stays dead center when watching a kill cam, especially with the use of controllers.

Yeah, that's probably a cronus in action if there's no recoil. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1021 on: August 26, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »
I've been watching Vertigos Red Dead Redemption roleplaying series, it's pretty hilarious.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bad Altitude

« Reply #1022 on: August 28, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »
I spent part of this summer getting into Subnautica and Abzu on Switch. I haven't really been much of a gamer since I was a kid, but those games really make time fly. Also, I'm a real sucker for underwater things in general.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1023 on: August 31, 2021, 05:26:17 AM »
Did the third case of Ace Attorney Justice for All (second game). I like the game but it has not been nearly as compelling as the first game. Still, I am not having a bad time at all. Apparently the third case I just did is the worst one of the series. If this is the worst, then that is a good sign as it still was enjoyable.  I was told the fourth case is great, so hopefully it will elevate the second game a bit for me.

I spent part of this summer getting into Subnautica and Abzu on Switch. I haven't really been much of a gamer since I was a kid, but those games really make time fly. Also, I'm a real sucker for underwater things in general.

Haven't done Abzu (yet), but Subnautica is fantastic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1024 on: August 31, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
Psychonauts 2 recently came out. Didn't get to really play the original but am looking forward to checking out the new one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1025 on: August 31, 2021, 02:02:04 PM »
I just bough Chivalry 2 for the PC. This game is an absolute blast.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1026 on: September 01, 2021, 06:11:01 AM »

I've been debating pulling the trigger on this. I'm just shy of 800 hours in Mordhau and the Eastern Invasion update might not be coming out this year, so I've been thinking about it. Did you ever play Mordhau? How does it compare?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:24:37 AM by Chino »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1027 on: September 01, 2021, 06:25:41 AM »
I really hope this ends up being true!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/rumour_nintendo_will_expand_its_switch_online_service_with_game_boy_and_game_boy_color_titles

It all stems from a datamine dating back to 2019 - which revealed four emulators inside Nintendo's NES app. While the purpose of the remaining emulators still hasn't been revealed, both Nate and his co-host 'MVG' believe the third one 'Hiyoko' is likely for "Game Boy and Game Boy Color" titles.

Nintendo Life has also confirmed with its own sources that Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles are likely coming to the Switch Online service "really soon".

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1028 on: September 01, 2021, 06:33:24 AM »
That would be sick. I spend most of my week playing Xbox, but I carve out some time for Switch Sundays every week. Currently alternating between Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario World.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1029 on: September 01, 2021, 07:49:34 AM »
And next let's get some N64 and Gamecube games  :D

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »

I've been debating pulling the trigger on this. I'm just shy of 800 hours in Mordhau and the Eastern Invasion update might not be coming out this year, so I've been thinking about it. Did you ever play Mordhau? How does it compare?

I didn't play Mordhau, but what I have seen of the two games, the systems are pretty similar, but Chiv 2 is far more casual, and focuses much more on large scale battles. This is my first time on this type of game but I got into it pretty quickly.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1031 on: September 05, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »
Been playing alot of Green Hell lately. That game will fuck you up if you're not tread carefully, it's pretty unforgiving.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: September 05, 2021, 01:15:42 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: September 05, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
Yup, crazy.

Went to Dave and Busters yesterday, had more fun than I expected. The arcade games have gotten more advanced since I went to one of these places.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1034 on: September 05, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
So China is limiting gaming to 3 hours a day for minors?

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

Good. Kids spend too much time on these devices anyways. I mean, they are addressing this issue that kids are spending too much time on devices and affecting their overall development.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1035 on: September 05, 2021, 02:00:34 PM »
Yup, crazy.

Went to Dave and Busters yesterday, had more fun than I expected. The arcade games have gotten more advanced since I went to one of these places.

Have you tried the "4-D" attractions you can ride for a separate $5 fee?

Those are quite surreal. I was laughing at my cousin the entire time, she was screaming away at everything that was popping up and the motion of the ride.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: September 05, 2021, 04:54:14 PM »
So China is limiting gaming to 3 hours a day for minors?

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

For online games. And its pretty easy to circumvent by just using an adult ID for login.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1037 on: September 06, 2021, 02:34:18 AM »
I would not underestimate the capabilties of a government to spy on people when privacy/human rights laws are limited. A lot of the games this is aimed at are mobile games and at this point in time facial recognition sweeps are apparently thing.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/9/22567029/tencent-china-facial-recognition-honor-of-kings-game-for-peace

While I do have concerns for certain types of games that really feed into gambling-esque mechanics that promote addictions, there has to be a better way than this.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1038 on: September 08, 2021, 06:04:51 AM »
I have been playing the (now made) excellent Doom classic (I and II) ports again on Switch/Xbox series X, this time some of the add-ons. They have been adding these in official capacity over time. A list of the official add-ons via Bethesda servers: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Official_add-ons

If you are on consoles and have enjoyed Doom classic (I, II and 64), I highly recommend checking out some of these add-ons. I was not impressed by Final Doom (of which both add-ons are included), but having checked out Doom Zero and BTSX Ep 1, I think these are some great and tightly designed experiences. And in a way I think people working/hobbying with the limited Doom engine for like 25 years makes for some really creative, surprising designs.

If you never checked out classic Doom and like modern Doom, I do also think it is worth checking out the classic games, but I would start with the normal campaigns. There is something to the leveldesign, speed, and simplicity of the core gameplay that just works really well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1039 on: September 10, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »
Got sonic colors ultimate on ps4. Its alright so far

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: September 15, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »
welp, BF 2042 pushed back a month.  Sucks, but I hope this means they aren't releasing a broken game. I felt like this was going to happen though with the lack of updates on the open beta starting, which was supposed to be this month.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1041 on: September 16, 2021, 04:58:11 AM »
God of War Ragnarock trailer looks nice. I am a bit dissapointed Barlog isn't director of the second game as well, it was very well directed. Supposedly this one will end the Norse mythology saga. So no trilogy this time around, reasoning being it will otherwise take 15 years to complete a trilogy seeing how long games take to make. I think that is a good decision.

Also, Wolverine by Insomniac games, I look forward to that more than even Spider-Man 2 (of which the trailer did look nice).

Would be nice to be able to buy a PS5. But at this point me and my friends are kinda into the Xbox ecosystem already and I doubt I will buy any non PS exclusives on a PS5 for a variety of reasons.

Got sonic colors ultimate on ps4. Its alright so far

I'll be honest, I think pretty much all 3D Sonics are middling in quality. And I have only tried the "good" ones, not the likes of 06 and Boom. Something feels just off and janky in terms of core gameplay to me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: September 16, 2021, 06:21:46 AM »
Did any of you guys see that Nividia leak? Apparently a lot of playstation games are making their way to PC, if this is true I'll skip buying a PS5. I got it to play RDR2 and GoW and it's just a netflix box now.

Last night I bought Star Trek Elite Force. Spent a good hour strolling down memory lane. I remember being blow away by the game in Middle School. The game itself still holds up pretty well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1043 on: September 16, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
Did any of you guys see that Nividia leak? Apparently a lot of playstation games are making their way to PC, if this is true I'll skip buying a PS5. I got it to play RDR2 and GoW and it's just a netflix box now.

Last night I bought Star Trek Elite Force. Spent a good hour strolling down memory lane. I remember being blow away by the game in Middle School. The game itself still holds up pretty well.

Sony is not stupid, the gaming space is slowly walking towards a service model, just like any other media industry (music, film). And in order to be a successful service, you need a wide audience.

It is not unexpected. They bought a pc port studio and the entire (mainline+Lost Legacy) Uncharted franchise is coming to PC in one sweet package. And then there were Horizon, Days Gone, Detroid, and Death Stranding, which were all Sony first party funded games.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1044 on: September 16, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »

I think Sony already said they would be porting more of their games to the PC. I can't imagine they won't have any exclusives though. Whether or not these exclusives will be enough for Herrick to buy a PS5 remains to be seen.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1045 on: September 16, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »
Exclusive releases on PS5 is just one of many reasons to own a PS5.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1046 on: September 16, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »
Exclusive releases on PS5 is just one of many reasons to own a PS5.

For me it's the only reason to own one. I haven't bought an Xbox since the original Xbox because what little exclusives they've had over the years don't appeal to me. I'm not even sure if they have exclusives anymore.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: September 16, 2021, 11:43:52 AM »
All their first party exclusives come to PC now so if you game on PC there is really no reason to get an xbox.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1048 on: September 16, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »

I think Sony already said they would be porting more of their games to the PC. I can't imagine they won't have any exclusives though.
Yes agreed.

I have to say I'm trying a subscription service at the moment (PS Now, as a while ago I bought a year's subscription with a massive discount) and I just don't think it's good model for those of us who don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate towards gaming. Especially as my favourite games tend to be the immersive ones that can take anywhere from 15 to 100 hours to play through, it just doesn't work out as a great deal as it takes me months to play some games like that. I quite enjoyed trying out some games that I probably wouldn't otherwise have played, but most of them didn't really do it for me anyway. I'll try and make the most of this year's subscription but then probably go back to buying the games I want to play and seeking out good discounts.

Also on the subject of being able to get a PS5, this seems to be improving. I decided I wanted to get one, I started following a UK stock tracker on Twitter and set it to give me notifications whenever there's a new Tweet, and the next morning they tweeted about a drop of thousands of PS5s on an online store and so I bagged one before they sold out (which took a couple of hours). But there's been a whole bunch of other drops since at various UK stores.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1049 on: September 16, 2021, 04:16:14 PM »
My brother got a new Xbox earlier this week. Seems like it's back in stock.