Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577319 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1715 on: February 18, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
Assuming you are a VH fan here (this may be slightly OT), what do you think of DLR's solo material? I have really been getting into A Lil' Ain't Enough as of late. I think the strongest part of that album is actually DLR's lyrics, he really did well with that one.

That's my favourite DLR solo album. :tup Not really a fan of the Vai stuff, aside from a few of the more popular songs.
Your Filthy Little Mouth opens with two great rock tracks, but the rest is confused shite, but DLR Band is another solid rock album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1716 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
Nice! Besides the lyrics, I just love the diversity on that album. He tried some different things and I think it worked out well. Of course, the guitar and production work help elevate the album for me as well.

Yeah, the Vai stuff is so-so for me as well. I prefer Eat 'Em and Smile over Skyscraper by a mile.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: February 18, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Sheehan has been quoted as saying that there are much rawer versions of the Skyscraper stuff that sound way better .   I've never rated either of those first two solo albums as high as most Roth fans but both have some standouts.

Re Your Filthy Little Mouth that has another of my favourite Roth lyrics in Lands Edge

Here's a word about my ex-girlfriend
Towards the end conflict off and on
And I told her one night, "Honey every time we fight
I'll write a verse to this song"

Well, things got bad and things got worse
Still I struggled on
So sit back and get all comfortable
'Cause this little tunes six fuckin' hours long   ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1718 on: February 18, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
That's good stuff. I'm going to have to re-listen to his later material now.

I always found Skyscraper too "thin" sounding for my tastes.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »
A Little Ain't Enough is a brilliant album.  It has Jason Becker for crying out loud.  Eat 'em and Smile I enjoy a lot too.

Also FreezingPoint, yes I was referring to the latest Royal Hunt album, it's rubbish IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:32 AM »
I just listened to one song from that new Royal Hunt, and I couldn't even finish it.  Sounded very sub par.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1721 on: February 19, 2014, 01:55:20 AM »
Yeah considering all the hype and joy of DC Cooper returning, it's just bog standard cookie cut Royal Hunt.
Sub par at that too. AA can write this stuff in his sleep.

But I am still going to see them in April, if only to see the mighty Vanishing Point opening for them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »
Yeah considering all the hype and joy of DC Cooper returning, it's just bog standard cookie cut Royal Hunt.
Sub par at that too. AA can write this stuff in his sleep.

But I am still going to see them in April, if only to see the mighty Vanishing Point opening for them.

Would be pretty much worth it just for them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: February 19, 2014, 03:28:03 AM »
I just listened to one song from that new Royal Hunt, and I couldn't even finish it.  Sounded very sub par.

As you all know, I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to most of this type of music, but this album is really really awful.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1724 on: February 19, 2014, 03:58:15 AM »
Wolfking, some Asia to check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRt6jGUMjw8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:13 AM »
Wolfking, some Asia to check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRt6jGUMjw8

Man, this is smooth, really nice and smooth.  I like this a lot actually.  Great AOR with a nice atmosphere and the vox remind me a bit of Bowie.

EDIT: just looking up Asia on wiki.  Didn't know Al Pitrelli played on a couple of albums, nice.

EDIT 2: And Guthrie Govan!  And Vinny Burnes, but he didn't play on any studio stuff.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:41:27 AM by wolfking »

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #1726 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
I found all DLR releases highly entertaining. The heck, I love everything VH, even VHIII had some great moments.

What do you think of A Different Kind Of Truth ?

Because the opinion in my band was meh, while I thought Eddie schooled the rest of the guitar playing bunch once again. Not in terms of speed or virtuosity, but in growing and maintaining balls.
The only real flaw of ADKOT, in my ears, is the sound. Not the production, but the too hot mastering. Almost on Queensryche levels of hot mastering.

By the way VH is working on the follow up.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:38:24 AM by Delirious Nomad »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1727 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
I thought A Different Kind Of Truth was very good. To me, it takes a bit to get gping, but once you get past the first four songs or so, it's kick ass the rest of the way.

I remember looking at the title Honeybabysweetiedoll thinking WTF, but it is one of the most bad ass songs they've ever done.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: February 19, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
I thought it was very good as well.  I can't say I was too happy the first time I heard Tattoo, but that song ended up growing on me.  But I thought the rest of the disc was kick ass from the get go.

Interested to hear the followup; considering ADKOT was mostly older songs redone.  I'm assuming the followup will be all new material

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #1729 on: February 19, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
As far as I know, only about half of the material had old roots and someone from the VH camp said there is still a lot more left in the archives. I don't care. Most songwriters do this. You have a great idea, but you can't turn it into a song until years later it somehow happens.

Agree on Honeybabysweetiedoll. Bordering on progressive metal. I was WTF, too, only for another reason.  :o :metal :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
The only real flaw of ADKOT, in my ears, is the sound. Not the production, but the too hot mastering. Almost on Queensryche levels of hot mastering.

That's my only real complaint too. The production and mixing in general are absolutely fantastic, but the mastering almost kills it. Way too loud. But Eddie and Alex almost always have a killer sound in the studio.

Definitely a great comeback album. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
I was never a huge VH fan, but the album was pretty decent enough.  It had some good songs and the boys still have great chops.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1732 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
Also FreezingPoint, yes I was referring to the latest Royal Hunt album, it's rubbish IMO.

Thanks for letting me know. I will probably listen to it eventually, at least give it one chance.

That's my only real complaint too. The production and mixing in general are absolutely fantastic, but the mastering almost kills it. Way too loud. But Eddie and Alex almost always have a killer sound in the studio.

Definitely a great comeback album. :tup

Yep. I can tolerate ADKOT though, but I have a real hard time listening to even a full Queensryche song off their latest.

Hope that the next VH is as strong in terms of mixing and production. I was kind of surprised at the amount of wah Eddie used on the album, but it didn't bother me any.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: February 19, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
I hope you're referring to Geoff Tate's version of Queensryche.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1734 on: February 19, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »
No, the S/T. I was referring to the hot mastering. The songs and performances are good, but I find it very trying on the ears to listen to. I even tried messing with the files myself to improve them but I couldn't get any decent results that I was happy with. A shame because that's their best material since Promised Land IMO.

Geoff Tate's "Queensryche" is pretty much an abomination, especially live. And let's not even mention those re-records. Ouch.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1735 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
No, the S/T. I was referring to the hot mastering. The songs and performances are good, but I find it very trying on the ears to listen to. I even tried messing with the files myself to improve them but I couldn't get any decent results that I was happy with. A shame because that's their best material since Promised Land IMO.

Geoff Tate's "Queensryche" is pretty much an abomination, especially live. And let's not even mention those re-records. Ouch.

All of this...

The S/T is such a great album...but so hard to listen to.    I would say it is every bit as bad as Vapor Trails and Death Magnetic on the mastering side of things.   Among the worst I've ever heard. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: February 20, 2014, 04:18:05 AM »

Fair enough, looks like we're on the same page with Tate.

The self titled album as discussed was masterd horribly, but for some reason, it doesn't destract me from the album too much.  I can see how people find it difficult to listen to though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:27 AM »
Heads up boys, new Vanishing Point video.  This if FUCKING AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJYsQav90E

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: February 21, 2014, 05:54:51 AM »
Song didn't do much for me, but I liked the solo section. Good sounding production and playing though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: February 21, 2014, 06:00:03 AM »
Heads up boys, new Vanishing Point video.  This if FUCKING AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJYsQav90E

That song actually grew on me as I listened to it  ;D   I started out thinking "yeah, yeah - good but (as per usual) sounds a bit familiar" and by the guitar solo I was "alrighty then........ :D" and by the end I was pretty close to sold.  I hope there's some diversity on the album- if that's the case then we might have a winner here.

I'm pretty hard to please at the moment  - maybe cos I'm old and been listening to this stuff for 25-30 years - but all I really want is some effort to create something the tiniest bit unique - whether it's the vocal melodies or guitar work etc....   It is extremely hard because it has almost all been done before at this point but there is the odd release that really shows that it CAN be done.  Hopefully this is one of them because they certainly have the talent.

Good to see an Aussie band producing stuff like this and something that does have a market .  Count me interested  :tup

Song didn't do much for me, but I liked the solo section. Good sounding production and playing though.

That counts as a glowing endorsement of an Aussie band by Blob  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: February 21, 2014, 06:02:25 AM »

I'm glad you noticed the effort! :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1741 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
I got the new Vanishing Point CD yesterday direct from the band and signed too.
Had a listen to a few songs, sounds great so far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1742 on: February 21, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
After seeing Wolfie gush over Vanishing Point a while back, i sampled some on youtube, but it really didn't do much for me.
Bravewords was playong a track off the new album and I really liked it. I will have to hear a it more, though, before I buy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: February 21, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

hehe, just what I was thinking.

I got the new Vanishing Point CD yesterday direct from the band and signed too.
Had a listen to a few songs, sounds great so far.

I might get it off the band too, checking website now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1744 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
The New Vanishing Point gets 93/100 at Metal Reviews:
https://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/album/8569

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: February 22, 2014, 03:14:21 AM »
Good shit.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1746 on: February 23, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »
Had another listen to VP today, here are some random thoughts:
VP are definitely more power metal with this album lots of fast double bass drumming, and even some blast beats.
Although as melodic as ever, there are some pretty heavy songs and lots of symphonic elements.
14 songs is probably a little too much in 1 hit. Although there is no real 'filler', there are a couple of songs
that fall below the greatness of the rest.
12 songs, with the brief into and the beautiful instrumental finale, would have been ideal.
Saving two very good songs for bonus tracks.
Production is good, but perhaps not as good as the previous 2.

If you had previously been a fan of Vanishing Point, then then you will like this one
I'd rate it 8.5-9.0 out of 10.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:16 AM »
Good to hear gazin.  I noticed the amount of tracks too, and like Embrace the Silence does seem like a very long record.  I think Embrace is about 74 minutes long or something crazy like that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: February 24, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »
I went back to Primal Fear today after giving it a break for a week.  It blew me away again.  This is top 3 Primal Fear, maybe higher, this album is incredible and has AOTY quality written all over it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »
I went back to Primal Fear today after giving it a break for a week.  It blew me away again.  This is top 3 Primal Fear, maybe higher, this album is incredible and has AOTY quality written all over it.

It will be tough for it not to be my AOTY.