Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222677 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3430 on: January 20, 2024, 05:51:55 AM »
Back on Netflix and I started with The Fall of the House of Usher. First episode was fantastic. Hope it's gonna be all this good until the end.

The whole series is a delight. I think Poe would have approved.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3431 on: January 22, 2024, 06:44:15 AM »
We just wrapped up The Guilded Age on HBO. We started it on a whim, having heard/seen nothing about it prior. We ended up loving it and are eagerly awaiting season three.   

The Met is my wife's favorite venue, and it's actually where I proposed. So seeing an entire season kind of revolve around its creation was kind of cool (even though the current Met isn't the original).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3432 on: January 22, 2024, 07:21:30 AM »
Back on Netflix and I started with The Fall of the House of Usher. First episode was fantastic. Hope it's gonna be all this good until the end.

The whole series is a delight. I think Poe would have approved.

3 episodes in and I absolutely agree.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3433 on: January 22, 2024, 11:21:04 AM »

I LOVED it.  Mark Hamill was really fun to watch and the writing blew me away with an over-arching story, but each individual episode was it's own version of a tale from Edgar Allen Poe. 

I was happy to watch Bruce Greenwood and forgot that this was the show that Frank Langella got kicked off of due to on-set behavior.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3434 on: January 22, 2024, 02:15:44 PM »

I LOVED it.  Mark Hamill was really fun to watch and the writing blew me away with an over-arching story, but each individual episode was it's own version of a tale from Edgar Allen Poe. 

I was happy to watch Bruce Greenwood and forgot that this was the show that Frank Langella got kicked off of due to on-set behavior.

Also really enjoyed The Fall of the House of Usher. Highly recommended if you like this type of show.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3435 on: January 22, 2024, 03:18:05 PM »

Also really enjoyed The Fall of the House of Usher. Highly recommended if you like this type of show.

Dang it.....everywhere I turn this show is getting mass kuddos.....so....looks like I'll have to sit and hammer this one out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3436 on: January 22, 2024, 08:05:06 PM »
Season 4 of True Detective is back and this time the setting is in icy Alaska. Man what a killer first episode, I'm loving the atmosphere and the whole setting of this episode. The vibe was gloomy, creepy and draws obvious inspiration from The Thing. It's just six episodes this season so they waste no time setting up the intrigue and the characters. I'm a sucker for this kind of setting and just loved the first episode.

Yes, I also loved the first episode. Just awesome. There was so much in there and so much to unpack. Also really felt like a strong 'spiritual' connection to season 1 (which is one of my favourite ever seasons of tv). Great to see Jodie Foster on the small screen, one of my favourite actresses.

Ditto to all of this. Really strong premier episode and am digging the spiritual/paranormal element that is hinted at. Very intriguing story they’ve laid the foundation for.

Episode 2 was fantastic as well. More layers peeled, more revealed and really makes me think of the show The Killing. Very similar vibe.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3437 on: January 22, 2024, 08:55:22 PM »
Season 4 of True Detective is back and this time the setting is in icy Alaska. Man what a killer first episode, I'm loving the atmosphere and the whole setting of this episode. The vibe was gloomy, creepy and draws obvious inspiration from The Thing. It's just six episodes this season so they waste no time setting up the intrigue and the characters. I'm a sucker for this kind of setting and just loved the first episode.

Yes, I also loved the first episode. Just awesome. There was so much in there and so much to unpack. Also really felt like a strong 'spiritual' connection to season 1 (which is one of my favourite ever seasons of tv). Great to see Jodie Foster on the small screen, one of my favourite actresses.

Ditto to all of this. Really strong premier episode and am digging the spiritual/paranormal element that is hinted at. Very intriguing story they’ve laid the foundation for.

Episode 2 was fantastic as well. More layers peeled, more revealed and really makes me think of the show The Killing. Very similar vibe.

Yeah, kind of a similar vibe to The Killing. The story is really developing in a way to allow us to really get inside the characters and what is going on in and around the town. The constant darkness (of the day and night) is also a big winner for me. The show is beautifully filmed. Anyway, lots of revelations in episode 2 and some real strong connections to season 1 of True Detective too, including setting up the possibility of a big time cameo at some stage...awesome show, really enjoying it so far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3438 on: January 23, 2024, 08:33:42 AM »
Watched Episode 1 of True Detective last night, solid start as others have stated.  Intriguing, looking forward to how this plays out.

I also finished a couple netflix documentaries:

American Nightmare - Really wild 3 part show about a "gone girl" kidnapping.  Thought this was pretty good because the three episodes show three different perspectives of what happened, and it's quite shocking and a bit sad how it all plays out.

World War 2 From The Frontlines - a 6 part WW2 documentary using enhanced real video with interviews from people on all sides from the war, narrated by John Boyega. I'm not the biggest history buff, but this was a good watch.  Learned a bit, not too much as the show doesn't go into crazy detail, but really just the visuals are kind of crazy.  I can't believe some of the stuff I saw, like the Japanese kamikaze in color.  It amazes me that this was real and people lived through that.  Scarey stuff man, really makes you think about how good we have it today. I dont know if there's anymore else to say about how sad the holocaust was as well. I think sometimes you need to see this stuff to really understand the devastation.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3439 on: January 23, 2024, 08:35:34 PM »
Just finished season 1 of Fargo. Good lord is Noah Hawley the man. He gave us quite possibly the best Marvel show with Legion, and that first season of Fargo was exceptional. I could watch Billy Bob play that character all day. He does so much by doing so little. The epitome of understated.

Looking forward to the next story.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3440 on: January 24, 2024, 01:32:08 AM »
Lone Marvo was a character for the ages. Amazing performance!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3441 on: January 24, 2024, 04:48:27 AM »
Just finished Reacher.  The culmination with Langston was 100% expected, but how they got there kept me interested.  Overall, I'm quite satisfied.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: January 24, 2024, 05:13:45 AM »
Just finished Reacher.  The culmination with Langston was 100% expected, but how they got there kept me interested.  Overall, I'm quite satisfied.

I was talking with Mrs. P about the second season and we decided that while enjoyable, it didn't stack up to season one. The things we liked were the ensemble cast of Reacher-like people, screen chemistry between Reacher and Neagley, Alan Ritchson's presence, the one-liners they wrote for him, and Serinda Swan's cleavage. The only real complaint I have is I thought the bad guy (as written and performed) was too campy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3443 on: January 24, 2024, 06:17:08 AM »
Just finished a rewatch of Orange is the New Black on Netflix and currently a rewatch of The Man in the High Castle.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3444 on: January 24, 2024, 06:34:47 AM »

I was talking with Mrs. P about the second season and we decided that while enjoyable, it didn't stack up to season one. The things we liked were the ensemble cast of Reacher-like people, screen chemistry between Reacher and Neagley, Alan Ritchson's presence, the one-liners they wrote for him, and Serinda Swan's cleavage. The only real complaint I have is I thought the bad guy (as written and performed) was too campy.

First and foremost, I'm a boob-guy.

But dat ass.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3445 on: January 24, 2024, 07:01:45 AM »

I’m with you and Mrs. P Gregg.

I enjoyed the season but it lacked a lot of the endearing qualities of S1. I’ll watch S3 with the hopes that they can recapture that S1 feel. I just wasn’t a huge fan of the ensemble cast figuring it all out/being the focus.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3446 on: January 24, 2024, 10:18:10 AM »
Jon Stewart heading back to do Mondays on The Daily Show  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3447 on: January 24, 2024, 11:07:00 AM »
Oh shit
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3448 on: January 24, 2024, 02:36:22 PM »

That (plus her body as a whole) was the real highlight of this season of Reacher. The first season had really great characters and a really good story, this season was just cliched over the top action and violence with overall pointless flash backs and yes a very cartoon like bad guy.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3449 on: January 24, 2024, 04:34:42 PM »

That (plus her body as a whole) was the real highlight of this season of Reacher. The first season had really great characters and a really good story, this season was just cliched over the top action and violence with overall pointless flash backs and yes a very cartoon like bad guy.

I just enjoyed the 'small town' storyline in S1 better than this over extrapolated governmental and big corporate scheme type thing. It's been overdone to the point of you end up with what you said....a season of cliche's.

Again....i still enjoyed it....but, S1 for me was the better of the two.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3450 on: January 25, 2024, 06:54:41 AM »
Oh shit

I'm really excited for this. I've enjoyed his recent podcast series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3451 on: January 25, 2024, 08:05:59 AM »
Reacher season 3 is in production, and will adapt the novel Persuader, which is, in the opinion of many readers, the best Reacher novel (not me, my favorite is The Killing Floor, on which season 1 was based).  It's definitely the most violent and bloody, so that will be good lol.

Also, started two new shows: Monsieur Spade on AMC, about the later years/adventures of Dashiell Hammett detective Sam Spade, of The Maltese Falcon fame, starring Clive Owen; and The Power of Film on TCM, a six-part documentary on the art of filmmaking hosted/presented by UCLA film professor Howard Suber.

One episode in on Monsieur Spade and I like it so far; I'm a big fan of both the novel and film The Maltese Falcon, and it's interesting to see where they've taken the character.

Two episodes in on The Power of Film, and I love it.  Won't be for everyone, but I just love it.  Can't wait to see the rest.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3452 on: January 26, 2024, 07:30:11 AM »
Finally caught episode 2 of the new True Detective season last night.  Very nice!  Loving the callbacks to season 1, and there are multiple!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3453 on: January 26, 2024, 07:42:29 AM »
Tonight I'm gonna finish The Fall of the House of Usher. Fantastic series, of course I have to see how it ends to give a complete judgement but I can't imagine that a show this good completely crashes and burns in the last episode. It's gonna be fantastic, I know.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: January 26, 2024, 08:19:38 AM »
Finally caught episode 2 of the new True Detective season last night.  Very nice!  Loving the callbacks to season 1, and there are multiple!

Yeah, I'm not immediate catching all the references but I've followed each episode with a youtube recap and it's awesome to see how many callbacks not just to season 1 but to other movies as well.  I'm super intrigued to this season now that I've caught up on the two episodes.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3455 on: January 26, 2024, 11:41:44 AM »
The Mrs. and I started Reacher this week. We're four episodes into Season One. I really like it so far.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3456 on: January 26, 2024, 03:54:20 PM »
Tonight I'm gonna finish The Fall of the House of Usher. Fantastic series, of course I have to see how it ends to give a complete judgement but I can't imagine that a show this good completely crashes and burns in the last episode. It's gonna be fantastic, I know.

Nope, I didn't know. I knew it would have been good, but I never imagined it could have been SO DAMN GOOD. Absolutely fantastic and basically perfect finale to an awesome series. This goes straight into the "best shows on Netflix" category. Bravo, Mark Flanagan. A perfect show!!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3457 on: January 26, 2024, 04:50:27 PM »

Nope, I didn't know. I knew it would have been good, but I never imagined it could have been SO DAMN GOOD. Absolutely fantastic and basically perfect finale to an awesome series. This goes straight into the "best shows on Netflix" category. Bravo, Mark Flanagan. A perfect show!!!

:tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3458 on: January 26, 2024, 08:15:45 PM »
Watched the first two episodes of ‘Masters of the Air’ on Apple TV.

It’s…..ok. That’s all I can say. You can tell it REALLY wants to be as good as ‘Band of Brothers’ was. I don’t see it getting there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: January 27, 2024, 05:12:45 AM »
We're four episodes in on The Brother's Sun and loving it! Truly laugh out loud funny.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3460 on: January 28, 2024, 04:41:32 PM »
I finished my watch-through of Modern Family on Friday.  REALLY solid show that definitely seems re-watchable.  No significant stories that I didn't like, and most of the characters were top notch.  I could have done without Gloria and Manny, though - particularly the latter.  Manny started out insufferable and got worse.  Everyone else either stayed constant or improved.

I started Suits last night.  Not sure I'll stick with it.  I can usually ignore when legal shows get the law wrong, but I'm only two episodes in, and the unrealistic stuff has been tough to stomach.  Sarah Rafferty can only hold my interest for so long.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3461 on: January 29, 2024, 01:56:26 AM »
Started:
- Sex Education, final season. Probably won't be as good as the first one and with the change of setting the magic is somehow gone, but I loved the series and I just have to see it through. I hope they won't screw it up.

- One Piece. First episode is awesome! it helps that I know nothing about the plot besides "stretching guy with straw hat, redhead girl whose cosplay has been haunting the dreams of kids all around the world and 450.000 episodes", so I won't be distracted by differences and the passage from animation to live action, but I was told it's quite faithful.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3462 on: January 29, 2024, 02:25:52 AM »
- One Piece. First episode is awesome! it helps that I know nothing about the plot besides "stretching guy with straw hat, redhead girl whose cosplay has been haunting the dreams of kids all around the world and 450.000 episodes", so I won't be distracted by differences and the passage from animation to live action, but I was told it's quite faithful.

Sometimes you just need a show that is just a ton of fun - and One Piece was that.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3463 on: January 29, 2024, 08:22:42 PM »

Yeah, kind of a similar vibe to The Killing. The story is really developing in a way to allow us to really get inside the characters and what is going on in and around the town. The constant darkness (of the day and night) is also a big winner for me. The show is beautifully filmed. Anyway, lots of revelations in episode 2 and some real strong connections to season 1 of True Detective too, including setting up the possibility of a big time cameo at some stage...awesome show, really enjoying it so far.

Episode 3 had some amazing cinematography, it has so many looks of The Thing. It also had some obvious nods to season 1 with the story telling being different from what was shown. I like how they make it look there are so many supernatural elements which IMO are a red herring. Regardless, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3464 on: January 29, 2024, 11:20:49 PM »

Episode 3 had some amazing cinematography, it has so many looks of The Thing. It also had some obvious nods to season 1 with the story telling being different from what was shown. I like how they make it look there are so many supernatural elements which IMO are a red herring. Regardless, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Very cool season so far. And I too am suspect of the supernatural angle that is being showcased. I am enjoying the heck out of that angle/aspect don’t get me wrong but I can totally see that being…..as mentioned……a red herring.