Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222658 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3395 on: December 27, 2023, 10:42:17 AM »
The wife and I finished up the recent season of Survivor around 1 am last night. 

Was it any good?

It's been a few years since I've watched Survivor. I used to love the show but it got way too 'scripted' for my liking. I know all those 'reality' shows are scripted to a degree but Survivor crossed into a territory there for a while where they weren't even hiding how set up it all was.
Yeah, we liked it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3396 on: December 27, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »
Finished off season 3 of Slow Horses yesterday. Very good show.

...and the last episode featured Iron Maiden...Alexander the Great, no less! Someone in the writing room went for a deep cut there (the scene itself made me chuckle pretty hard, actually  :))

Online faizoff

« Reply #3397 on: December 27, 2023, 08:36:21 PM »
Finished the season 2 finale of Battlestar Galactica. Holy shit what a finale. Season 2 was fantastic, can't wait to dive into season 3.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3398 on: December 29, 2023, 03:19:04 AM »
Finished the two series I was catching up with: Killing Eve and The Great.

Killing Eve ended badly. I had stopped watching after season 3 and other streaming services always had priority and between one thing and the other, I basically barely remembered what was going on. Well, watching season 4 I got the impression that the authors were in the same boat as me: "wait, what was this all about? what was the story? where did we want to lead the characters? oh, it's the last episode? time to wrap it up somehow and call it a day and move on". Geez.

Villanelle is a fantastic character and the first seasons were great, but the ending left a sore taste in my mouth.

The Great, on the other hand, lived up to its title and more! fantastic series through and through, three tight and solid seasons of drama and comedy, satire and poignant moments, debauchery, laughs, anachronisms and a shameless rewriting of history that has no business being this good. An absolutely fantastic show and I highly reccomend it to everyone!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3399 on: December 29, 2023, 07:09:48 AM »

Killing Eve ended badly. I had stopped watching after season 3 and other streaming services always had priority and between one thing and the other, I basically barely remembered what was going on. Well, watching season 4 I got the impression that the authors were in the same boat as me: "wait, what was this all about? what was the story? where did we want to lead the characters? oh, it's the last episode? time to wrap it up somehow and call it a day and move on". Geez.

Villanelle is a fantastic character and the first seasons were great, but the ending left a sore taste in my mouth.

100% agree. Final season was a big disappointment. Overall, I still think this was a great show (Villanelle being such a memorable character), but season 4 kinda forgot all that made it special. A bit of a shame.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3400 on: January 07, 2024, 08:35:06 PM »
I'm about halfway through the new season of Fargo, enjoying it very much.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3401 on: January 07, 2024, 08:41:47 PM »
Loving the new season of Fargo. Highly recommended.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3402 on: January 12, 2024, 08:10:34 PM »
Watched the season 4 finale of ‘For All Mankind’. Really like that series…..it’s written well and has a cool premise and story. Hope it keeps going and can’t wait to see where they take it. It’s almost a really good prequel of prequels to ‘The Expanse’.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #3403 on: January 12, 2024, 10:50:01 PM »
Watched the season 4 finale of ‘For All Mankind’. Really like that series…..it’s written well and has a cool premise and story. Hope it keeps going and can’t wait to see where they take it. It’s almost a really good prequel of prequels to ‘The Expanse’.

I too get the vibe of prequel to the Expanse. I liked the finale. esp their choice of track to end with. Huge fan of that album by M83 and that track in particular.

with them ending only 10 years into the future, I'm guessing all the main characters will be back unless they don't re-sign their contracts.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #3404 on: January 15, 2024, 09:12:56 PM »
Season 4 of True Detective is back and this time the setting is in icy Alaska. Man what a killer first episode, I'm loving the atmosphere and the whole setting of this episode. The vibe was gloomy, creepy and draws obvious inspiration from The Thing. It's just six episodes this season so they waste no time setting up the intrigue and the characters. I'm a sucker for this kind of setting and just loved the first episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: January 15, 2024, 10:27:37 PM »
Season 4 of True Detective is back and this time the setting is in icy Alaska. Man what a killer first episode, I'm loving the atmosphere and the whole setting of this episode. The vibe was gloomy, creepy and draws obvious inspiration from The Thing. It's just six episodes this season so they waste no time setting up the intrigue and the characters. I'm a sucker for this kind of setting and just loved the first episode.

Was gonna watch this tonight but got sidetracked. Will have to wait until tomorrow. Glad to see your positive review....the 'critics' have said it's a good story/season. Honestly, they've all been good. S2 takes a beating but it really wasn't fair to have to follow S1. That season remains some of the best acting, story telling and cinematography to have happened on television

Online faizoff

« Reply #3406 on: January 15, 2024, 10:38:51 PM »
Like you I'm in the minority that enjoyed season 2. You are right about the acting, and everything else, it was really great. I'm not going to compare any of the subsequent seasons to S1, that really cannot be topped so I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the series. I absolutely loved the look of this episode, it's got that really cold look that captures the environment.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3407 on: January 16, 2024, 06:10:55 AM »
Boy oh boy... Beef, The Bear and Succession sure cleaned house tonight.  I only caught the 2nd half of the show, so I missed some of the 'reunions'.  I thought it was really well done.

Kudo's to Elton for finally completing the EGOT.  Greatly deserved.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3408 on: January 16, 2024, 07:38:53 AM »
After finishing up all of the Stargate shows and then Farscape, I decided to go modern for a bit and have started watching Obliterated on Netflix. It's stupid fun.

After I finish that, I think I am finally going to focus on Fargo. I started watching way back when and somehow got sidetracked and never made it far into season 1. It's time to finally get going on that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3409 on: January 16, 2024, 08:11:34 AM »
Boy oh boy... Beef, The Bear and Succession sure cleaned house tonight.  I only caught the 2nd half of the show, so I missed some of the 'reunions'.  I thought it was really well done.

Really enjoyed the Emmys last night.  Haven't seen Beef and didn't watch Succession, but I was thrilled to see The Bear clean house.

We finally finished up The Crown.  I know some people have had issues with accuracy, but the writing, direction, and acting has been first rate for all 6 seasons.  Quite an achievement.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3410 on: January 16, 2024, 09:16:15 AM »

Really enjoyed the Emmys last night.  Haven't seen Beef and didn't watch Succession, but I was thrilled to see The Bear clean house.

I ought to give Beef a go, and I'm dying to watch Succession, but don't subscribe to the Canadian service that has the rights to HBO content.  :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3411 on: January 16, 2024, 07:30:22 PM »

Yes, I also loved the first episode. Just awesome. There was so much in there and so much to unpack. Also really felt like a strong 'spiritual' connection to season 1 (which is one of my favourite ever seasons of tv). Great to see Jodie Foster on the small screen, one of my favourite actresses.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3412 on: January 16, 2024, 09:59:52 PM »

Yes, I also loved the first episode. Just awesome. There was so much in there and so much to unpack. Also really felt like a strong 'spiritual' connection to season 1 (which is one of my favourite ever seasons of tv). Great to see Jodie Foster on the small screen, one of my favourite actresses.

Ditto to all of this. Really strong premier episode and am digging the spiritual/paranormal element that is hinted at. Very intriguing story they’ve laid the foundation for.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: January 17, 2024, 09:12:00 AM »

Ditto to all of this. Really strong premier episode and am digging the spiritual/paranormal element that is hinted at. Very intriguing story they’ve laid the foundation for.

Definitely looking forward to watching this, just haven't yet. 

My gf and I started watching the new Netflix reality game show, The Trust.  I've enjoyed it so far, new episodes should be out today.

We also finished the series of Boardwalk Empire.  What a great show.  My gf said she might like it more than Sopranos, where I rank it just a bit below.  Very well written show with some really great storylines and a shocking ending (and an actual ending, even if it wasn't a happy one).   We have been thinking of starting Peaky Blinders next since we enjoyed this one and I guess they are similar.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3414 on: January 17, 2024, 10:30:38 AM »
We also finished the series of Boardwalk Empire.  What a great show.  My gf said she might like it more than Sopranos, where I rank it just a bit below.  Very well written show with some really great storylines and a shocking ending (and an actual ending, even if it wasn't a happy one).   We have been thinking of starting Peaky Blinders next since we enjoyed this one and I guess they are similar.

I've never watched Boardwalk Empire but have heard good things....may have to give it a go.

But I have watched Peaky Blinders......it's really good. Judging from what I've seen that you like and dislike.....I think you guys would dig it. I will give a warning/advice though....the accents of the actors is pretty heavy at times and takes some getting used to. The first few episodes I used captions just to learn the patterns of the actors and understand them fully.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: January 17, 2024, 11:32:13 AM »

I've never watched Boardwalk Empire but have heard good things....may have to give it a go.

But I have watched Peaky Blinders......it's really good. Judging from what I've seen that you like and dislike.....I think you guys would dig it. I will give a warning/advice though....the accents of the actors is pretty heavy at times and takes some getting used to. The first few episodes I used captions just to learn the patterns of the actors and understand them fully.

Good idea.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3416 on: January 17, 2024, 01:27:22 PM »
First of all, I'm about to restart with Netflix so for 2-3 months that's where I'll be at.

Having prefaced that, I freaking loved Peaky Blinders. What would be the best show to finally catch up to, Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos? (yeah, I know that Boardwalk is most likely more akin to Peaky Blinders, and The Sopranos has therapy playing an important part in the structure of the series, but hey, asking doesn't hurt).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: January 17, 2024, 01:42:03 PM »
First of all, I'm about to restart with Netflix so for 2-3 months that's where I'll be at.

Having prefaced that, I freaking loved Peaky Blinders. What would be the best show to finally catch up to, Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos? (yeah, I know that Boardwalk is most likely more akin to Peaky Blinders, and The Sopranos has therapy playing an important part in the structure of the series, but hey, asking doesn't hurt).

Sopranos is the better show IMO.  I would watch that first and if you like it, go with Boardwalk after just like it was in real life with Terrance Winter (producer and writer for both shows).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3418 on: January 17, 2024, 07:40:21 PM »
Extended Family and La Brea.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3419 on: January 17, 2024, 08:19:35 PM »

Sopranos is the better show IMO.  I would watch that first and if you like it, go with Boardwalk after just like it was in real life with Terrance Winter (producer and writer for both shows).

if you have never seen The Sopranos before that is definitely a top of the list must watch. Get on to it! Boardwalk Empire is also great though.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3420 on: January 18, 2024, 08:13:19 AM »
Caught episode 1 of the new True Detective.  Very nice!  Looking forward to more!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3421 on: January 18, 2024, 08:41:07 AM »
I'm kinda jumping between some animated shows I haven't seen yet. I started Gravity Falls the other day, and yesterday I discovered that Batman: The Animated Series is on Netflix now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3422 on: January 19, 2024, 11:47:52 AM »
Looking forward to catching the Reacher season 2 finale tonight with the fam!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3423 on: January 19, 2024, 01:47:14 PM »
Loved season 1 of Reacher but really didn't like season 2.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3424 on: January 19, 2024, 05:48:24 PM »
Looking forward to catching the Reacher season 2 finale tonight with the fam!

Just watched it. Satisfying. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3425 on: January 19, 2024, 05:53:06 PM »

Yeah, not sure what's happened but the action sequences in this season are awful compared to the first one. They've also doubled down on Reachers monotone style to the point he's becoming quite dull.  Definitely feels like a show that's lost its way somewhat, hopefully the 3rd season will be more competent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3426 on: January 19, 2024, 05:58:07 PM »
Finally the Sopranos hooked me,plowed through 3 seasons in two

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3427 on: January 19, 2024, 09:34:21 PM »
Finally the Sopranos hooked me,plowed through 3 seasons in two

Nice one! Probably my favourite ever tv show so glad to hear you have gotten into it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3428 on: January 19, 2024, 11:51:14 PM »

Yeah, not sure what's happened but the action sequences in this season are awful compared to the first one. They've also doubled down on Reachers monotone style to the point he's becoming quite dull.  Definitely feels like a show that's lost its way somewhat, hopefully the 3rd season will be more competent.

Yes I agree with all this. Also I know this is the type of show it is but there really also seemed to be so much senseless and unnecessary killing. It also just closed out at a whimper to me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3429 on: January 20, 2024, 05:33:53 AM »
Back on Netflix and I started with The Fall of the House of Usher. First episode was fantastic. Hope it's gonna be all this good until the end.