Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 223190 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3360 on: December 06, 2023, 04:22:04 AM »
Finished up the first Season of Severance.  Fantastic, loved the fact we learnt so much in the final couple of episodes.  Normally these mystery box shows just layer mystery on mystery without giving much back - but this really opened up the show in the finale, and everything they revealed made sense of some of the weird stuff we saw in the earlier episodes.  Really impressed.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3361 on: December 06, 2023, 07:31:51 AM »
Yeah, I feel like the Apple original content has been pretty stellar across the board. Shrinking, Severance, Foundation, For All Mankind–all home runs in my book.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3362 on: December 06, 2023, 07:49:53 AM »
Yeah, I feel like the Apple original content has been pretty stellar across the board. Shrinking, Severance, Foundation, For All Mankind–all home runs in my book.

Don't forget SILO....that one is pretty good as well.

SEE was 'ok'.....great production and good battle scenes....cool story....but, it was really hard to suspend disbelief that those folks couldn't actually see. They did everything a person who could see could do....it rendered them all being blind pointless.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3363 on: December 06, 2023, 07:51:10 AM »

Don't forget SILO....that one is pretty good as well.

SEE was 'ok'.....great production and good battle scenes....cool story....but, it was really hard to suspend disbelief that those folks couldn't actually see. They did everything a person who could see could do....it rendered them all being blind pointless.

Absolutely add SILO to that list!  :metal

Agree with your thoughts on SEE...the final season was rushed and left me feeling a bit underwhelmed, but I still enjoyed the show immensely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3364 on: December 06, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
+1 to those Apple shows.  Having said that, we haven't had Apple TV for a month or two now and I haven't missed it. Will pick it up again when all those awesome shows, hopefully, come back.

We finished Boardwalk Empire season 3, sooo good how that season ended and we immediately started season 4 which has started off very well. Might have this show completely finished before the end of the year given how much we've enjoyed it.

Season finale of Squid games challenge tonight, looking forward to it.  I've been seeing a lot of tiktoks lately from contestants who are explaining things, it appears the show edited things to make things look very different, but that's kind of expected for "reality" tv.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: December 06, 2023, 09:58:19 AM »
Season finale of Squid games challenge tonight, looking forward to it.  I've been seeing a lot of tiktoks lately from contestants who are explaining things, it appears the show edited things to make things look very different, but that's kind of expected for "reality" tv.

Thanks for the reminder  :tup   And yeah....that show had the 'feel' of not being completely 'reality'.  I still think it's hilarious how they play dead when the black dye/blood sqib goes off under thier shirts.  :lol 

But I'll admit....I liked the show probably WAY more than I should have.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: December 06, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »

Thanks for the reminder  :tup   And yeah....that show had the 'feel' of not being completely 'reality'.  I still think it's hilarious how they play dead when the black dye/blood sqib goes off under thier shirts.  :lol 

But I'll admit....I liked the show probably WAY more than I should have.

Oh, I've been laughing at the fake deaths all along  :lol I legit just thought they were kind of funny, but I wondered if they were told to do anything?  Like some people full on played like they got shot and others just slowly went to the grown. 

And I agree, I was so so going in on the show, but heard it was good. I like shows like Big Brother so I'm not shocked I enjoyed it in the end, but it way exceeded expectations.

I also don't mind the edits, it's clearly why the show was so good because of the "fake" drama created. It's all for entertainment, but honestly, it's also kind of nice to know that these people aren't actually terrible like some are portrayed.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3367 on: December 06, 2023, 02:17:05 PM »
We finished Boardwalk Empire season 3, sooo good how that season ended and we immediately started season 4 which has started off very well. Might have this show completely finished before the end of the year given how much we've enjoyed it.

I love that show so much, and it was a nice follow-up for those that were missing The Sopranos.  Richard and Al Capone were my two favorite characters.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3368 on: December 06, 2023, 07:30:17 PM »
3 episodes into Slow Horses. Enjoying it so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: December 07, 2023, 12:41:26 PM »
Season finale of Squid games challenge tonight, looking forward to it. 

Did you watch? Curious about your thoughts.....I was NOT pulling for the eventual winner. Show was cool but there are too many random scenarios that can take you out of the game. I prefer the games/challenges where you have more control over how you perform.....a lot of those 50/50 chances to stay in the game just sucked...I'd hate to lose out on $4.5 million just because you essentially lost a coin flip.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: December 07, 2023, 01:46:01 PM »

Did you watch? Curious about your thoughts.....I was NOT pulling for the eventual winner. Show was cool but there are too many random scenarios that can take you out of the game. I prefer the games/challenges where you have more control over how you perform.....a lot of those 50/50 chances to stay in the game just sucked...I'd hate to lose out on $4.5 million just because you essentially lost a coin flip.

I didnt love the ending and I don't mind chance games, but there was too many IMO and having the final game's be chance was a bit uninteresting.  I had a feeling the winner was going to win and I was not rooting for them either.  Oh well, still a fun show and looks like we'll get another season which I'd watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: December 07, 2023, 02:50:01 PM »

I didnt love the ending and I don't mind chance games, but there was too many IMO and having the final game's be chance was a bit uninteresting.  I had a feeling the winner was going to win and I was not rooting for them either.  Oh well, still a fun show and looks like we'll get another season which I'd watch.

The Battleship game was cool.....that was 'chance' but it also allowed some strategy to it. And obviously the bridge crossing one was chance but that was intense also.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3372 on: December 08, 2023, 03:00:03 AM »
Yeah the chance stuff was the weakest element of the show and having the final 3 pretty much decided by chance was disappointing, but overall it was much more interesting than I thought it would be, and hopefully they'll iron out any aspects of the show that weren't as well received for a second series run.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: December 08, 2023, 08:42:16 AM »
Battleship was one of the best games and it wasn't in the show.  I imagine season 2 will have some more new games to keep the contestants on their toes. It seems a lot of people weren't fans of the chance final episode so hopefully they take that feedback into consideration as well for next season. I guess it's also possible the actual season 2 of the real Squid Games show might add some things to the game show.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3374 on: December 11, 2023, 11:06:31 AM »
I watched Geddy Lee's thing over the weekend.  I really enjoyed the first one with Les Claypool (even though I can't stand Primus).  I enjoyed the one with Robert Trujillo a little less, but it was still a good watch.  The other two were just weird - especially the one with the guy from Nirvana.

I hope there will be more - particularly one with John Myung.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3375 on: December 13, 2023, 04:45:48 PM »
A few episodes into The Bear. Mostly because of how RJ and others spoke so highly of it.

Interesting show. It's fascinating how the show manages to sell high stakes in a....local sandwich shop, but never makes you doubt the sincerity of the stakes. Took a few episodes for me to get into it since the two leads aren't exactly super likable. Right now I dig the sou chef and the dude who makes cakes the most. But yea, good show. Finally digging it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: December 15, 2023, 12:37:29 AM »
Second season of Reacher just dropped on Amazon. First three episodes are available. Watched them….if you liked S1 this is right there in the same wheelhouse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3377 on: December 15, 2023, 07:59:15 AM »
Second season of Reacher just dropped on Amazon. First three episodes are available. Watched them….if you liked S1 this is right there in the same wheelhouse.
Good to hear.  We'll get started on that this evening, I'm sure.

Are the other episodes dropping weekly?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: December 15, 2023, 08:24:44 AM »
Good to hear.  We'll get started on that this evening, I'm sure.

Are the other episodes dropping weekly?

I'm assuming it's a weekly drop after this. This has been the way AMAZON has been doing their releases.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3379 on: December 16, 2023, 03:53:01 AM »
Yep, we watched the first 3 episodes of Reacher season 2 last night. Good stuff.

You do not mess with the Special Investigators.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3380 on: December 16, 2023, 08:09:24 AM »
Hef, have you read that book?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: December 16, 2023, 09:40:27 PM »
Just finished Eps 1 and 2 of Reacher. I have read this book (all of them, actually) but too long ago to remember much about it. I tended to enjoy more the books that focused on Reacher's military service, or used it as a backdrop somehow, as this one does. I like the loner who cleans up the bad guys in the small town narrative, but the military-based stories I usually just found more intriguing.

So far this is a great show, though I do wonder what it would be like for someone not familiar with the books or the character at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: December 16, 2023, 10:04:15 PM »
So far this is a great show, though I do wonder what it would be like for someone not familiar with the books or the character at all.

I've never read the books and wasn't familiar with anything 'Reacher' until the Tom Cruise films. That's when I hear it was a horrible casting choice given his physical description in the source material. I really liked the first season of the AMAZON series and so far so good in S2.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: December 16, 2023, 10:48:00 PM »

I've never read the books and wasn't familiar with anything 'Reacher' until the Tom Cruise films. That's when I hear it was a horrible casting choice given his physical description in the source material. I really liked the first season of the AMAZON series and so far so good in S2.

The size thing did not bother me as much as it did others. It bothered me that such a big star filled the role, and that he didn't seem to have Reacher's mannerisms, at least as I took them from the books. It was a bold move to cast a relative unknown as Reacher in this series, and for me and apparently many others, it was the right one. He is playing the role admirably.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3384 on: December 18, 2023, 09:34:06 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3385 on: December 18, 2023, 09:36:15 AM »
My current line-up, I'm more or less halfway through with all of them:

Schitt's Creek season 4
Killing Eve season 4 after a quick speed rewatch of the entire series (been forever since I watched season 3)
The Great season 3

Schitt's Creek is funny as always, but I feel Stevie is currently underused.
Killing Eve's final season so far does not feel like the final one, let's see how it ends.
The Great continues to be fantastic.

Also, previously I finally catched up with season 3 of Parks and Recreation, another absolutely great and funny show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3386 on: December 21, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
Finished the entire Stargate saga. Not surprised at the piss-poor mismanagement by Sci-Fi. Ending SG-1 without wrapping it up and instead wrapping it up with a movie. Canceling Atlantis after they wrapped the last season and saying they will end with a movie and then cancelling the movie. Just ending SGU with no real wrap-up at all. Unlike probably most people, I loved Atlantis and it's probably my favorite and I was really liking SGU and really wished it would have been able to wrap up.

Anyway, I am now onto Farscape. Continuing my trend of going with established shows that won't get canceled and waste my time.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3387 on: December 21, 2023, 11:14:06 AM »
Finished the entire Stargate saga. Not surprised at the piss-poor mismanagement by Sci-Fi. Ending SG-1 without wrapping it up and instead wrapping it up with a movie. Canceling Atlantis after they wrapped the last season and saying they will end with a movie and then cancelling the movie. Just ending SGU with no real wrap-up at all. Unlike probably most people, I loved Atlantis and it's probably my favorite and I was really liking SGU and really wished it would have been able to wrap up.

I loved Atlantis as well and REALLY liked SGU.....I liked that it had a different, more gritty feel to it. Thought it was a huge injustice that it wasn't allowed to at least tell another season of story and properly wrap up.

SyFy certainly did screw the pooch on how they handled closing those shows out.....but....they were fun as heck to watch. I may have to revisit them soon. It's been some time.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3388 on: December 21, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »

I loved Atlantis as well and REALLY liked SGU.....I liked that it had a different, more gritty feel to it. Thought it was a huge injustice that it wasn't allowed to at least tell another season of story and properly wrap up.

SyFy certainly did screw the pooch on how they handled closing those shows out.....but....they were fun as heck to watch. I may have to revisit them soon. It's been some time.

Yup.

I'm still dong my rewatch of the Stargate franchise. Finished SG1 and have 1 season left of SGA (well, what's left of the season) and then SGU.

I love the franchise so much but yea, none of these shows got much in the way of resolution at all. even SG1 ended on a weird note with Continuum.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3389 on: December 21, 2023, 11:24:04 AM »
Tonight is the finale of the short new reality game show series Big Brother Reindeer Games.  It's been very similar to Big Brother with former winners on the show and it's just focused more on the games and less on the real living with each other stuff.  It's been better than I expected.  Kind of thought it would just be boring, but the quickness of the action and just being 6 episodes it's been a good quick show to follow. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3390 on: December 21, 2023, 11:29:14 AM »
I started watching Modern Family.  REALLY solid through about 10 episodes, and I'm in love with Julie Bowen.

I'm now about 6-8 episodes into s3.  The show is still really strong.  While I like some characters better than others, there isn't anyone I genuinely dislike.

Interestingly, I started watching based on a couple episodes that I randomly caught on TV.  I've since come to learn that those episodes were from the final season, so it was interesting to de-age the characters (especially the kids) by going back to the beginning.  It also means I know a couple storylines that otherwise would have been surprises.  At the moment, the thing I'm most interested in learning is how the heck Jay hooked Gloria.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3391 on: December 24, 2023, 05:24:31 AM »
Just watched S2E1 of Reacher.  Great start.  Loved the scene with Robert Patrick, and Neagley's hotel room alias:

"Who's Sarah Connor?"
"I don't give a shit"   :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: December 24, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »
Just watched S2E1 of Reacher.  Great start.  Loved the scene with Robert Patrick, and Neagley's hotel room alias:

"Who's Sarah Connor?"
"I don't give a shit"   :lol :lol

That was awesome  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3393 on: December 27, 2023, 08:26:32 AM »
The wife and I finished up the recent season of Survivor around 1 am last night.  I am DRAGGING today.

So glad that some family are coming by for a visit lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: December 27, 2023, 09:31:25 AM »
The wife and I finished up the recent season of Survivor around 1 am last night. 

Was it any good?

It's been a few years since I've watched Survivor. I used to love the show but it got way too 'scripted' for my liking. I know all those 'reality' shows are scripted to a degree but Survivor crossed into a territory there for a while where they weren't even hiding how set up it all was.