Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 223219 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3045 on: August 22, 2023, 07:00:37 AM »
I'm with Chris vis-a-vis Wings.  I remember some VERY funny moments.  Thomas Hayden Church was excellent, as was the other desk agent (don't remember the actress or character's name - but her deadpan delivery was great).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3046 on: August 22, 2023, 08:01:59 AM »
I just started watching The Rockford Files.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3047 on: August 22, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
I'm with Chris vis-a-vis Wings.  I remember some VERY funny moments.  Thomas Hayden Church was excellent, as was the other desk agent (don't remember the actress or character's name - but her deadpan delivery was great).

I loved that comedy.  A great sitcom had strong side characters and this sitcom had them. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3048 on: August 22, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
I started watching Wings, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it if it doesn't get more interesting (the first 8 or so episodes have been pretty snoozy, and it had one of the worst theme songs I can think of).

I was a huge fan of Wings. I don't recall how I felt watching it in real time, but watching reruns over the years definitely made me feel it took a couple years for them to really get their.... sorry, wings. Once they hit their stride, I felt it was a solid sitcom. Maybe not Seinfeld tier, but still highly enjoyable.

I can't remember if I watched Wings in real time.  TBH, I think I wasn't watching a ton of prime-time TV in 1988-93.  I know that I had a crush on Crystal Bernard going back to when she was on It's a Living a decade earlier, so it's certainly possible that I tuned in now and then.  I'm now about halfway through season 2, and it's holding my attention, so I'll keep going.

One thing that's interesting is seeing some of the crossover guest stars.  I watched an episode last night with a local female police officer.  She was very tall and tough.  She played a similar character on an episode of Cheers that probably aired a few years earlier, but which I saw within the last couple weeks.  It was also interesting seeing Peri Gilpin show up in one of the last episodes of Cheers and then seeing that one of the producers of Wings was named Roz Doyle!  Small world.  And, of course, Norm and Cliff from Cheers were prominent in an early s2 episode of Wings.

Thomas Hayden Church was excellent, as was the other desk agent (don't remember the actress or character's name - but her deadpan delivery was great).

Yeah...they're both great.  The woman desk agent was called Faye (don't know the actress's name).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3049 on: August 22, 2023, 10:54:15 AM »
Well...I finished Cheers over the weekend.

From the point of view of someone who binged it over the course of a few months, I felt it went on about 2-3 seasons too long.  Sam had virtually no character growth.  Rebecca started out as a good character, but she became ridiculous.  Woody was solid for his entire run.  Cliff and Norm were solid, but they obviously weren't the stars.  Frasier and Lilith were mostly stellar - particularly Lilith.  Diane's return at the end was nice, but I think the story they wrote for them was pretty flat.  I particularly enjoyed the thing they did with John McLaughlin for the 200th episode (Shelley Long looked GREAT with darker hair).

I felt the exact same way.  I like the writing of Frasier better than Cheers but I appreciate the ensemble of the cast of Cheers the best.  Cheers was almost like a stage production that was filmed.  Frasier always felt like a sitcom.

I just started watching The Rockford Files.  I remember loving this show but I don't remember many of the episode storylines.  There are a lot of great cameo appearances especially of some veteran character actors.

BIG fan of James Garner, and TRF was one of my favorite TV theme songs.  Dated, I know, but I loved that sound.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: August 22, 2023, 10:58:33 AM »

I'm with Jingle vis-a-vis the use of the word vis-a-vis!!!  :)

I never really got into Wings, which is weird, since I like all the actors in there (except for Tony Shaloub; not the biggest fan) and I dug the Cheers connection.

For my money, Cheers SLAYED Frasier.   Frasier was funny, at times, but Cheers was (and is, for me) God tier, as Chad would say.  I just didn't really like the side characters in Frasier as much as I did the cast of Cheers. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3051 on: August 22, 2023, 11:30:05 AM »
Well...I finished Cheers over the weekend.

From the point of view of someone who binged it over the course of a few months, I felt it went on about 2-3 seasons too long.  Sam had virtually no character growth.  Rebecca started out as a good character, but she became ridiculous.  Woody was solid for his entire run.  Cliff and Norm were solid, but they obviously weren't the stars.  Frasier and Lilith were mostly stellar - particularly Lilith.  Diane's return at the end was nice, but I think the story they wrote for them was pretty flat.  I particularly enjoyed the thing they did with John McLaughlin for the 200th episode (Shelley Long looked GREAT with darker hair).

I felt the exact same way.  I like the writing of Frasier better than Cheers but I appreciate the ensemble of the cast of Cheers the best.  Cheers was almost like a stage production that was filmed.  Frasier always felt like a sitcom.

I just started watching The Rockford Files.  I remember loving this show but I don't remember many of the episode storylines.  There are a lot of great cameo appearances especially of some veteran character actors.

BIG fan of James Garner, and TRF was one of my favorite TV theme songs.  Dated, I know, but I loved that sound.
From a time when we actually HAD theme songs for TV shows.  Which we apparently don't have now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: August 22, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »
From a time when we actually HAD theme songs for TV shows.  Which we apparently don't have now.

Networks shows have cut them, but a lot of streaming shows still have full opening music and credits. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: August 22, 2023, 12:18:57 PM »

Networks shows have cut them, but a lot of streaming shows still have full opening music and credits.

I love having them; I like how many streaming services allow you to skip that if you're binging.  Best of both worlds.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3054 on: August 22, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
I never watched The Rockford Files, but my mother did.  Such a great theme song.

Someone got me a portable tape recorder when I was 12 or so, and the first thing I made was a compilation of TV theme songs.  So many good and memorable ones.  There's a series of videos on YouTube where they play 10 seconds or so of a theme song and then identify the show.  I had some fun with them a few weeks ago.  Here's the one from the '80s (part 1):  https://youtu.be/RNyN08iZ9kA?si=V2IvtzHrmnQgsGoM
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3055 on: August 22, 2023, 07:41:15 PM »

Not saying this to date you, but my mom loved The Rockford Files when I was a kid, but I can't remember ever watching it. James Garner could be underappreciated, and I say that knowing he is highly regarded for his work on stage and screen.

Hey now....I'm married  :P :laugh:

No, I was like 9 when TRF started and I'm almost certain I didn't pay much attention to it then but I also remember my mom LOVING that show.  I think I caught it on reruns when I was a bit older so I have some foggy memories around it.  Very nostalgic.

IIRC, James Garner did all his own stunt work too.  He was definitely too cool for school.  I don't know if anyone here has ever seen the movie Murphy's Romance but damn he is great in that.  Sally Field was his leading lady.  Interesting chemistry there.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: August 22, 2023, 09:09:35 PM »
And, of course, Norm and Cliff from Cheers were prominent in an early s2 episode of Wings.

Wings exists in the same universe as Cheers. The same creative team worked on both.

Wings was never a big belly-laugh show for me, but it was a show that always brought a smile to my face. It also did a great job creating the world of Nantucket. I know Nantucket is a real place, but the Nantucket of Wings just felt real to me.

Thinking about James Garner, I cannot say I have seen him in many things, but as a huge fan of The Great Escape, to me he will always be The Scrounger.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3057 on: August 22, 2023, 10:38:45 PM »
Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building dropped a couple weeks ago, so I’m trying to play catch up.

I guess Steve Martin is retiring after this. What a fantastic legend. I may have to go on a Steve Martin binge.  I seem to remember that I even somewhat enjoyed his lesser known films. I still like Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid. I’ve never seen Pennies From Heaven (but I’ll watch ANYTHING with Bernadette Peters no matter how bad it is) and I absolutely LOVE The Man With Two Brains. His low point comedy-wise was probably The Lonely Guy, but even that had its moments.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3058 on: August 23, 2023, 04:39:02 AM »
Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building dropped a couple weeks ago, so I’m trying to play catch up.

I guess Steve Martin is retiring after this. What a fantastic legend. I may have to go on a Steve Martin binge.  I seem to remember that I even somewhat enjoyed his lesser known films. I still like Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid. I’ve never seen Pennies From Heaven (but I’ll watch ANYTHING with Bernadette Peters no matter how bad it is) and I absolutely LOVE The Man With Two Brains. His low point comedy-wise was probably The Lonely Guy, but even that had its moments.

We plan on watching, my gf suggested we start after the first episode aired but I pushed back being that I was am on a 2 week business trip, so we will have a few episodes to watch once I get back.  The first two seasons were pretty good.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3059 on: August 23, 2023, 08:56:03 AM »

Don't forget Parenthood and the remake of Father of the Bride.  Both are wonderful movies.  I also loved It's Complicated.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: August 23, 2023, 08:59:16 AM »

One of my favorites is LA Story.  A little less wacky for Martin, but I find myself quoting it often.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3061 on: August 23, 2023, 09:05:13 AM »

One of my favorites is LA Story.  A little less wacky for Martin, but I find myself quoting it often.

Oh yeah and how could I forget All of Me with Lily Tomlin.  That and The Jerk are probably my favorite SM films for his comedic brilliance.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3062 on: August 23, 2023, 09:42:04 PM »
Invasion S2 is airing on Apple now. Just caught the first episode. Still a solid show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3063 on: August 24, 2023, 07:31:05 AM »

Some do, but for most of them it's not real theme songs, it's almost just background music.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3064 on: August 24, 2023, 07:32:33 AM »

Networks learned they can sell another 14 seconds of ads every 30 minutes if they ditch intros.   

Speaking of show intros, which Happy Days intro was better?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3065 on: August 24, 2023, 08:17:16 AM »
Speaking of show intros, which Happy Days intro was better?
The actual Happy Days theme.  Using Rock Around The Clock was lame.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: August 24, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »

Some do, but for most of them it's not real theme songs, it's almost just background music.

They're often instrumental, but there are a lot of them with what I consider good opening theme songs.  The Marvel Netflix shows, for example.  I particularly like the Jessica Jones and Daredevil intros. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3067 on: August 24, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »
Invasion S2 is airing on Apple now. Just caught the first episode. Still a solid show.

I watched that too. Good job there was a recap at the beginning, as I didn’t remember anything from season 1.

Also watching Foundation, and just finished the Crowded Room (also on Apple), which I really enjoyed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3068 on: August 24, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »
And, of course, Norm and Cliff from Cheers were prominent in an early s2 episode of Wings.

Wings exists in the same universe as Cheers. The same creative team worked on both.

Wings blew chunks. I can't remember a worse show from that era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3069 on: August 24, 2023, 01:00:33 PM »

You have brain damage from headbanging in the 80's. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3070 on: August 24, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »

You have brain damage from headbanging in the 80's.
Seriously.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3071 on: August 25, 2023, 12:48:17 AM »
We watched S1 of Shrinking over the last week or so and loved it.

The dialogue and performances were great, I thought.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3072 on: August 25, 2023, 06:03:45 AM »
This is Us, Manifest and Good Omens 2

LOVED the first one, just finished the second (jury's out), never saw the third.

Let us (me?) know what you think of the first two!
The writing for This is Us is so good.  I am liking Manifest, but not as much.  Good Omens is fun to watch.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3073 on: August 25, 2023, 07:09:00 AM »
Yesterday, I caught up with the current season of Winning Time on HBO.  3 episodes in, not quite as good as last season, but interesting how they are incorporating Larry Bird's back story as well.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3074 on: August 25, 2023, 04:47:47 PM »
I am enjoying Winning Time but I feel it is trying to do too much. I loved the Larry Bird part of the episode (I'm a long time Celtics fan) and would love more of the Celtics but the show is already trying to do too many other things that some of the core Laker characters probably aren't getting the screen time and character development they deserve.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3075 on: August 25, 2023, 09:09:45 PM »
Raise your hand if you saw Larry Bird live in the garden!

🙋

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3076 on: August 27, 2023, 05:26:30 AM »
I finished Mrs. Davis. It’s a limited series and has Damon Lindelof involved, which is why I wanted to see it.

It was a tough lift-off for me as it’s pretty bonkers, but one episode after another I found myself more and more invested in it. Give it a chance if you like shows like The Leftovers, Station Eleven.

Now watching the second episode of The OA. I’ve heard so many good things about it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3077 on: August 27, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »
OA was pretty good. It gets a bit ‘heady’ at times but all in all it was a fun watch. Not sure if you know this or not but the show does end as if there were another season to come….yet Netflix pulled a Netflix and didn’t renew it. I’d still recommend a full watch though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3078 on: August 27, 2023, 03:46:10 PM »
OA was pretty good. It gets a bit ‘heady’ at times but all in all it was a fun watch. Not sure if you know this or not but the show does end as if there were another season to come….yet Netflix pulled a Netflix and didn’t renew it. I’d still recommend a full watch though.

I really loved that series. The main character Brit Marling also did a movie called Another Earth which was cool for an independent film.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3079 on: August 27, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »
The wife and I just started our next “long game” binge watch.

Star Trek TOS.

There may be some episodes from Season 3 I’ve never seen. But I won’t know for sure until we get there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude