Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222682 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1995 on: March 01, 2022, 02:16:47 PM »
Agreed, for sure watch Yellowstone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1996 on: March 01, 2022, 02:47:41 PM »

1883 is pretty cool. I'm up through the tornado episode.
Bet your ass.  We finished up the show on Sunday.  It was tough.

So, I have a predicament. I have yet to watch 'Yellowstone' because I know myself and once I start I'll binge the crap out of it and not sleep for two weeks to hammer it all out. Just waiting for the right 'time' to subject myself to that.

BUT....I really want to watch 1883 being that it's the first season. Do I need to know anything about Yellowstone other than it's the story of how that family came to be? Or are there characters/storylines that I need to be aware of in order to fully appreciate it?
The fact that it's a prequel to Yellowstone only matters to Yellowstone fans.  You can absolutely watch 1883 on its own.

But having said that, Gary, WATCH YELLOWSTONE!   

We both really fell in love with it, for different reasons, but it's GOOD.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought the acting was phenomenal, and while some of the incidents felt a little "stunt-y", the underlying story is plausible from the get-go, and the characters are believable.

Agreed, for sure watch Yellowstone.

Appreciate the feedback fellas  :tup   Like I said, I 100% am going to watch Yellowstone....I just have to figure out which couple weeks this summer I don't feel like sleeping much  :lol  I'm an easy 4-6 episode a night binge watcher when I get going on a show. No matter what day of the week it is.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: March 09, 2022, 08:10:33 AM »
So there is a new reality dating show on NBC called "The Courtship".  A guy I knew from high school is a contestant on the show.  He was a year younger than me, but part of my high school girlfriend's friends so I hung out with him a bit back 20 years ago.  Anyway, he was eliminated on the first episode that just premiered the other night.  He was exactly the pompous ass I remember him being.  My high school friends are having a field day making fun of him for how dumb he looked.  Soooo good  :lol  Anyway, the show itself is terrible so I'm glad he got eliminated so I won't be watching anymore. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1998 on: March 09, 2022, 05:49:16 PM »
Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

watched the 1st episode last night. I like parts of it, mostly John C Reilly as Doctor Buss.

It  is stated at the beginning, but it's hard to ignore some of the liberties they are taking.

That being said, I'm curious what Adrien Brody will be like as Pat Riley and Jason Segel as Paul Westhead.

It is a bit sad to think this show ended the friendship/working relationship of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, i guess due to Ferrell feeling he should have been cast as Dr. Buss and is a massive Lakers fan.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:07:38 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1999 on: March 10, 2022, 09:30:54 AM »
Is this Lakers thing a comedy/parody?  Given the names you mentioned (other than Adrian Brody), and the fact that every shot I've seen of the guy playing Magic Johnson makes him look like an '80s comedian, it's hard to think otherwise.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2000 on: March 14, 2022, 06:15:38 PM »
The Righteous Gemstones

Wonderful. LMAO
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2001 on: March 15, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »
We watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale last night.  I don't know, man.  Obviously high quality, but pretty bleak.  Not sure we will continue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2002 on: March 15, 2022, 08:28:59 AM »
We watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale last night.  I don't know, man.  Obviously high quality, but pretty bleak.  Not sure we will continue.

Eh, it's up to you and your personal taste, but your impression is not wrong - it is quite good, it's more than good, but yeah, it's bleak.

I did not finish the series (I believe there are four seasons and the show isn't over yet), I only watched two so I don't know if things get better and you get some sense of satisfaction and vindication down the road but..... yeah, it's heavy. If you don't think you're up for two seasons of many sorrows and very little joys, maybe giving up is the best thing to do.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »
Handmaid's Tale is an extremely depressing show, there are very few uplifting moments but they are far and few in between. Season 1 was excellent, 2 was ok, 3 was awfully paced and the least enjoyable one. 4 was a return to form and while depressing was quite good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2004 on: March 15, 2022, 08:38:24 AM »
Yea, Handmaid has some really high highs and super really frustrating lows. But yes, it's very very bleak. It's all sad all the time for the most part. I think it's mostly really good, venturing into making me want to punch the TV, but it's definitely a go to bed sad about the state of humanity kind of show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2005 on: March 15, 2022, 09:15:32 AM »
Yea, Handmaid has some really high highs and super really frustrating lows. But yes, it's very very bleak. It's all sad all the time for the most part. I think it's mostly really good, venturing into making me want to punch the TV, but it's definitely a go to bed sad about the state of humanity kind of show.
Well, fuck that then.  I don't need that, I don't care how "good" it is.  I'm already sad about the state of humanity.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2006 on: March 15, 2022, 09:23:22 AM »
Well, fuck that then.  I don't need that, I don't care how "good" it is.  I'm already sad about the state of humanity.

Right?  I'm reading these posts and thinking...why the fuck would I watch that?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2007 on: March 15, 2022, 09:31:52 AM »
On a side note, I finished watching season 4 of The Americans just as the war with Ukraine started. Meh, all of a sudden I lost the pleasure to watch the show, it's not that I will not finish it or continue it sometime down the line, but the nice thing about seeing a show about the Cold War was that the Cold War ended.... and now we're right into Cold War 2.0 and we should consider ourselves so lucky if it will remain "cold" (once the invasion of Ukraine will end one way or the other).

For those who don't know, The Americans is an excellent show set in the '80s, following a couple of russian spies that pose as american citizens. Highly reccomended.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #2008 on: March 15, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »

I'm one of those dudes that loves the depressing stuff (amongst most other things too). Lars von Trier is one of my favorite directors, and this show is pretty upbeat compared to his stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2009 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:21 AM »

I actually felt the same while watching it hoping there would be some hope but nope more depression, lol. But at the same time I couldn't stop watching haha. I then went to watch a string of comedies after that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2010 on: March 15, 2022, 10:13:28 AM »
SO, I started watching this animated series on Netflix called Aggretsuko. The show is about this girl (fox?) that hates her job, but takes out her anger doing death metal Karaoke. It is as stupid as it sounds, but got damn it when the metal parts come in I can't help but laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPs_qkMbCNg
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2011 on: March 15, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

I'm one of those dudes that loves the depressing stuff (amongst most other things too). Lars von Trier is one of my favorite directors, and this show is pretty upbeat compared to his stuff.
Physician, heal thyself.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2012 on: March 15, 2022, 05:46:53 PM »
Is this Lakers thing a comedy/parody?  Given the names you mentioned (other than Adrian Brody), and the fact that every shot I've seen of the guy playing Magic Johnson makes him look like an '80s comedian, it's hard to think otherwise.

No, it isn't a comedy. It is meant to be a recreation of the rise of the Lakers and Showtime in the 80s. I've watched the first 2 episodes, there are some really good moments but overall it is moving slowly. Haven't even got to Magic's first game yet. I don't know anything about Jerry West apart from him being a Lakers legend player, but the depiction of him in the first 2 episodes is fairly extreme.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2013 on: March 15, 2022, 07:16:27 PM »
Just finished Season 2 of Upload and Space Force.

On Season 2 of Falling Skies right now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: March 15, 2022, 08:01:50 PM »
Just finished Season 2 of Upload

:omg:   Wait…..what! I need to get on this. Was it good?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2015 on: March 15, 2022, 09:12:56 PM »

It was. Kinda short at only 7 episodes. No word on season 3 yet, but I know Greg Daniels said they already had a writers room going for it weeks ago even though they had no word yet. All I have to say is, they better get another season.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2016 on: March 16, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »

No, it isn't a comedy. It is meant to be a recreation of the rise of the Lakers and Showtime in the 80s. I've watched the first 2 episodes, there are some really good moments but overall it is moving slowly. Haven't even got to Magic's first game yet. I don't know anything about Jerry West apart from him being a Lakers legend player, but the depiction of him in the first 2 episodes is fairly extreme.

Yeah...I watched about 20-25 minutes of the first episode last weekend.  I thought it was AWFUL.  The style of the characters talking to the cameras was off-putting and, while I have no issues with cursing, it felt like the director was constantly telling everyone other than the guy who played Buss, "every fucking sentence must have at least three fucking variations of "fuck" or "shit" or other similar curse words.  Also, you need to act like the most monumental asshole at all times."  Not for me.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: March 17, 2022, 07:31:26 AM »

It was. Kinda short at only 7 episodes. No word on season 3 yet, but I know Greg Daniels said they already had a writers room going for it weeks ago even though they had no word yet. All I have to say is, they better get another season.

Definitely short and DEFINITELY has to have a third season! WTF? That seemed to me like it ended in 'mid season'. Another 7 episodes and they'd have tied that story up nicely....but I sure do hope a third season happens due to how they left things.

Was happy with how things played out but lots of unanswered and open ended questions. It's a fun show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: March 17, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

My gf wanted to watch season 2 and I had never seen season 1, so we started watching season 1 last night.  huge snooze fest.  I told her shes on her own for season 2. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: March 17, 2022, 12:25:57 PM »

My gf wanted to watch season 2 and I had never seen season 1, so we started watching season 1 last night.  huge snooze fest.  I told her shes on her own for season 2.

Aw c'mon Marc! It's a fun little show  :lol    By no means in any danger of award nominations but it's 'fun'.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2020 on: March 17, 2022, 12:57:00 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard of Upload.  I watched the first episode of Space Force and thought it was pretty bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2021 on: March 17, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »

Aw c'mon Marc! It's a fun little show  :lol    By no means in any danger of award nominations but it's 'fun'.

I'm firmly somewhere in between "snoozefest" and "good enough to keep watching.

We just finished S4 of Mrs. Maisel, so it will be on to Upload next.  We tried watching an episode of Soul Mates ... man that was bizarre.  mrs.jingle pulled the ripcord on that - we won't be bothering to continue.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: March 17, 2022, 01:24:00 PM »
Like I said 'Upload' isn't going to win any awards and you're not going to get overly compelling or complicated storylines. It's a very 'campy' show.....the main two characters/actors have good chemistry and it's just 'fun'. Easy to watch episodes that are a half hour in length and it's just a nice break from the intense/complicated shows I typically am drawn to.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: March 17, 2022, 02:52:25 PM »

Well, I get it's supposed to be funny but I wasn't laughing at the humor.  I should add that I don't enjoy The Office either so I was kind of prepared to not be into the humor.  To each their own, if you enjoy it, great! My gf enjoys it.  I wish I did.  It's now on me to choose the next show.  My coworker suggested Shameless to me.  I've heard good things, but never watched nor do I know much about it.  I mentioned it to my gf and she said the same, she heard it's good.  So we may check that out. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2024 on: March 17, 2022, 04:18:40 PM »

I totally understand and TBH this is exactly where my husband is FIRMLY parked.

But I also must say that the acting, the writing, the production of THT is phenomenal.  And I do believe it touches on themes that are important to think about.  Not just about the exploitation of women but really about fascism and theocracy.  And also about the strength of the human spirit and the will to survive.

I mean...I enjoy true crime docu-dramas and shows like Dexter.  THT is nothing by comparison. 

Speaking of bleak.....anyone started watching 'Bad Vegan: Fame, Fraud, Fugitives'?  I think this is on the docket for me tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTf7iViYUI
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: March 17, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »

Well, I get it's supposed to be funny but I wasn't laughing at the humor.  I should add that I don't enjoy The Office either so I was kind of prepared to not be into the humor.  To each their own, if you enjoy it, great! My gf enjoys it.  I wish I did.  It's now on me to choose the next show.  My coworker suggested Shameless to me.  I've heard good things, but never watched nor do I know much about it.  I mentioned it to my gf and she said the same, she heard it's good.  So we may check that out.

My neighbors swear by ‘Shameless’ although I’ve yet to watch. They say it’s great.

Online Adami

« Reply #2026 on: March 17, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »

My neighbors swear by ‘Shameless’ although I’ve yet to watch. They say it’s great.

I watched every damn episode of the original Shameless. It's a good show but with such a different mentality. It kept going despite basically the entire cast leaving throughout. They'd just bring in new people and make the show about them with 1 maybe 2 people staying throughout.

Didn't see the American version, but the girl who plays Fiona is a nice sight for these eyes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: March 20, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »
Watched ‘DMZ’ on HBO Max last night. Four episode limited series starring Rosario Dawson. Really neat idea and it was pretty good. Basically a story of a mothers love for her child but set in a post war world where two sides of America are in a fragile cease fire.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2028 on: March 21, 2022, 09:04:34 PM »
Just watched the season finale of THE GILDED AGE. It's stellar. So glad there will be a season two!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2029 on: March 22, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
My wife and I have working our way through all the Agatha Christie's Poirot episodes on BritBox. My goodness what an amazing series. They don't make them like that anymore.