Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 223185 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1400 on: April 21, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »
Anyone watching Debris?  3 episodes in and I'm loving it.

Yes. My middle son and I are watching it. Very interesting, and it's pretty cool. I think we're (4) episodes in.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: April 21, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
'THE NEVERS' on HBO Max is pretty interesting. Set in turn of the century England.....a strange object appears in the sky one day and rains down some sort of magical 'dust' that 'touches' primarily women and gives them strange powers. There's only two episodes so far but it's been pretty neat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1402 on: April 21, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »
'THE NEVERS' on HBO Max is pretty interesting. Set in turn of the century England.....a strange object appears in the sky one day and rains down some sort of magical 'dust' that 'touches' primarily women and gives them strange powers. There's only two episodes so far but it's been pretty neat.

I like this show as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1403 on: April 21, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
Into Season 2 of Billions.  Big fan of Paul Giamatti. Damian Lewis isn't too shabby either.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1404 on: April 22, 2021, 07:33:26 AM »
Just finished the most recent season of The Crown on Netflix.  Not sure how historically accurate it is, but the writing, acting, directing, and locations are incredible.

Also, if it's only halfway accurate, most of the Royal Family are less than good people, particularly Charles.  But, as I said, I don't know how accurate it actually is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1405 on: April 22, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »
I'd daresay it's accurate in broad strokes. Maybe Charles didn't say that specific sentence or didn't do that specific petty act, but yeah, their marriage was like that. He really married her because it was time to get married and she was a good enough candidate, and they really never got along because of the age difference. In the show you see of course a fiction and dramatization, but give or take the exact details, their marriage WAS like that and definitively there were family discussions about it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1406 on: April 22, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
I'd daresay it's accurate in broad strokes. Maybe Charles didn't say that specific sentence or didn't do that specific petty act, but yeah, their marriage was like that. He really married her because it was time to get married and she was a good enough candidate, and they really never got along because of the age difference. In the show you see of course a fiction and dramatization, but give or take the exact details, their marriage WAS like that and definitively there were family discussions about it.
That's what I figured.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1407 on: April 22, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »

How does that make him "not a good person"?  Or is there more to that?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1408 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »

How does that make him "not a good person"?  Or is there more to that?

Well, not that I'm terribly expert on Charles and Diana's marriage, but basically he wanted all of the perks and nothing of the trouble. He wanted to keep his lover (Camilla) with whom he was weirdly obsessed with, he never tried to emphatize more with a way younger and unexperienced Diana, understand what she was going through and the toll it took on her mental health (at a point while pregnant with William she threw herself down the stairs, that's not in the series, probably too dark for a scene)... basically there was a time in the early years of marriage when they tried to make it work and seemingly Charles didn't put any effort into it. Then when Diana said "ah, screw it" and started to get lovers of her own,, it was an all against all, war of the roses kind of situation. But from all accounts Charles got a young bride and heir maker and the happiness of said bride was never his main concern, only Camilla truly mattered.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1409 on: April 22, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
He basically duped an 18 year old into marrying him/giving him heirs/becoming the eventual presumptive queen without bothering to have any emotional connection with her, or letting her know that he would never, ever love her, and not giving fuck one what she or anyone else thought about it.

I'll say this, he eventually got what (who) he wanted.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1410 on: April 22, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »
I'll say this, he eventually got what (who) he wanted.

...which she was denied to begin with, because he was to be the future King, he couldn't marry a divorceè, there were expectations of him, he had to represent the future of the crown etc etc.... meh, sometimes being in a royal family means you're stuck in a circle of abusing, you get shit on on so much and then eventually you start to shit on others.

It's also ironic how, at least I assume, there would have been no shortage of women who would have gladly signed up for the "be a queen, churn out a heir and a spare, and then do what you want behind closed doors while the king does what he pleases behind closed doors".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1411 on: April 22, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »
I go both ways on these sorts of things.  I'm not a fan - at all - of Megan Markle for this reason:  you go in to the Royal Family knowing what you're going into.  Better, worse, or indifferent, I don't quite understand this expectation that the Royal Family is or should be viewed in the same light as, say, your local YMCA.  I'm not a member of the fam, but I can't imagine that is the first marriage of convenience in the royal family.   I can't imagine it's the first loveless marriage in the family.   And I can't imagine Camila is the first sidecar in the family. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1412 on: April 23, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »
Anyway, as per the question of the thread, my "making the most out of a month of Prime Video" lineup:

- Finishing season 3 of Superstore and season 5 of The Office;
- Finishing the fourth and final season of The Man in the High Castle;
- Finished the so far only season of The Wilds;
- Finished season 1 of The Americans;
- Finished season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale;
- Started today American Gods' third season to see if they come back from the atrocious trainwreck of season 2 but I'm not gonna feeling it so far. Pity such a wonderful book will not have a proper and faithful adaptation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1413 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
I go both ways on these sorts of things.  I'm not a fan - at all - of Megan Markle for this reason:  you go in to the Royal Family knowing what you're going into.  Better, worse, or indifferent, I don't quite understand this expectation that the Royal Family is or should be viewed in the same light as, say, your local YMCA.  I'm not a member of the fam, but I can't imagine that is the first marriage of convenience in the royal family.   I can't imagine it's the first loveless marriage in the family.   And I can't imagine Camila is the first sidecar in the family.
Well, it might have been different if Charles had been upfront with Diane about it BEING a marriage of convenience.  But he wasn't.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: April 26, 2021, 01:30:02 PM »
'Shadow and Bone' on Netflix. Pretty cool show.....short series at each of the (8) episodes are in the 42-44 minute time frame. I knocked it out pretty quick.

Side Note: I wish is that the websites/people in charge of drumming up publicity would stop using the comparison to 'Game of Thrones' for shows like this.....which was one of the ways they were trying to promote it. Duplicating the success of GOT is not going to be easy to do for any production company. This show is good, it's interesting and well done.....but it's far from GOT level.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1415 on: April 29, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »
My wife and I just finished The Irregulars on Netflix.  Pretty good show, kinda (maybe, ?!?) in the vein of His Dark Materials from HBOMax.  8 episodes, each about 50-55 mins.  We blew through it in over the weekend.  We're gonna move on to Shadow and Bone this week.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1416 on: April 30, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »
Can’t remember if I mentioned this here or not already, but I just recently purchased all seven seasons of agents of shield on DVD. I can’t find an official source stating that season seven was ever even released on DVD, so I suspect that they are possibly bootlegs. But if they are, they are excellent quality. Hard to tell. Just that the menu screens from season five on seem incredibly low tech and unprofessional...and season 5 has a negative review printed on the back (who does that?) But the episodes themselves are very high quality.

It will take me a couple of months to go through them all and make sure that they are all watchable. But I’m starting from season one and everything about the episodes themselves appears to be professional quality.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: May 02, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »
We checked out 4 episodes of Invincible on Amazon Prime.   A cartoon superhero show for adults. It's definitely dark.  I'm digging it so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1418 on: May 03, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
We checked out 4 episodes of Invincible on Amazon Prime.   A cartoon superhero show for adults. It's definitely dark.  I'm digging it so far.

I finished the first season last night - I think it's one of the best new shows I've seen for a while, and I'm not a huge watcher of animated shows (outside comedy)....but this was great stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: May 03, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
I did as well.  That last episode was very dark and personal.   I loved it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1420 on: May 04, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »
Gonna give Shadow & Bone on Netflix a shot...I'll let you guys know.

OK, 2 episodes in, this one is legit. I could easily binge it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:19:41 PM by lonestar »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: May 04, 2021, 09:37:26 PM »

Yeah. It’s a good one. It’s over too quickly though. I wanted more.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1422 on: May 04, 2021, 11:36:09 PM »

Yeah. It’s a good one. It’s over too quickly though. I wanted more.

I watched two episodes and I'm unsure about it to be honest - it's got that young adult feel I'm not to keen on.  I probably will finish the first season as it's so short, but so far at least it's not drawn me in.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1423 on: May 05, 2021, 09:50:00 AM »
Halfway season 3 of Mr. Robot. First two seasons were cool, but now I’m struggling to keep watching. Thinking about giving up.

Recently watched all seasons of The Leftovers, which was incredible. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

Just finished up Maniac, which was alright.

Started The Mosquito Coast on Apple TV+, seems like it could be good.

Also halfway Watchmen. Very cool show with a great soundtrack from Reznor and Ross.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: May 05, 2021, 11:07:54 AM »
Halfway season 3 of Mr. Robot. First two seasons were cool, but now I’m struggling to keep watching. Thinking about giving up.

Do not give up. Seriously. One of the best series I've every watched and the story and the way it's told is worth it.

Recently watched all seasons of The Leftovers, which was incredible. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

Agreed. Such a great show.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1425 on: May 05, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
:omg:  Man I don't think I've ever heard that, often people complain about season 2. Season 3 is when all that setup in S2 starts paying off, do keep watching!

It is indeed one of the most amazing shows and so well written. I have to do a rewatch of that sometime soon.

Also halfway Watchmen. Very cool show with a great soundtrack from Reznor and Ross.

Watchmen is fantastic, one of the same write from The Leftovers and Lost. And yeah the score is fantastic. I think I listen to those three volumes a lot more than some NIN albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1426 on: May 05, 2021, 11:37:04 PM »
A few ep. into All for mankind and it's pretty good. As usual Hollywood is feeding on drama to make it intense.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1427 on: May 06, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
Just gonna throw this out there; last night’s Handmaids Tail was really really good. Maybe one of the best. Powerful stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1428 on: May 07, 2021, 06:14:36 AM »
@gmillerdrake, faizoff: I'll definitely keep watching, thanks for the heads up. I guess the overall tone of the show started to wear on me a bit.

Also going to start watching Handmaid's Tale S4 soon. Really loved S1 and S2, and S3 was alright.

Fear The Walking Dead is also my 'watch with the gf' show, currently almost finished S2. It's alright.

I've never watched so many shows.. oh covid.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: May 07, 2021, 08:53:04 AM »
Fear The Walking Dead is also my 'watch with the gf' show, currently almost finished S2. It's alright.

S2 is the worst season of the show. After a cool S1.....S2 was a train wreck. I almost stopped watching the show after that season. But don't......S3 is really good.....S4 is hit and miss but largely pretty good.....then seasons 5 and so far in 6 have been awesome. S5 and S6 have been some of the best Walking dead content I've watched period.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1430 on: May 07, 2021, 08:57:49 AM »

S2 is the worst season of the show. After a cool S1.....S2 was a train wreck. I almost stopped watching the show after that season. But don't......S3 is really good.....S4 is hit and miss but largely pretty good.....then seasons 5 and so far in 6 have been awesome. S5 and S6 have been some of the best Walking dead content I've watched period.

I was the same way.  I gave up on Season 2, then caught the last episode or two and felt like they made an interesting move.  I think season 3 was the one involving the Native Americans, which was really good, and it's only gotten better since then. 

I'm currently watching the final season of Homeland that aired last year, which is awesome, edge-of-the-seat stuff. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1431 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »

Good to know!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: May 11, 2021, 04:06:26 PM »

Really digging this one a lot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »

I need a new show, maybe I should check this out just from reading this post. Sounds intriguing and I like these type of mysterious shows

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: May 11, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »

I need a new show, maybe I should check this out just from reading this post. Sounds intriguing and I like these type of mysterious shows

It's pretty well done. You can tell it has the HBO funding behind it. The story is ever evolving and there hasn't really been a 'boring' episode. It's in constant motion.