Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222684 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #595 on: March 22, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
The newest episode was so damn funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
The newest episode was so damn funny.

I’ve been watching a ton of Shark Tank, so I actually really appreciated that episode haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
 :lol

That cameo.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #599 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
Trudy Judy all about that booty :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
SO... any takers on "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"?   Ugh.  I don't know.  The girl that plays Zoey is hot AF, I like Lauren Graham (and she does a great job with her character) and Peter Gallagher makes everything better, but....

I can't stand Skylar Astin, and the premise is just a tad too "Glee" for me.   It's stunning to me how thoroughly American Idol has affected infected the way music is presented; EVERYONE sings in that over-emoting, melismatic style.  And it's almost exhausting how hip and cool each of the characters are; I couldn't possibly maintain that level of snarky, quasi-ironic quippery on such a consistent basis. 

But I'm also reasonably invested in the story line, even if I think Zoey can do so much better than the two idiots she's supposedly pinging between.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
My wife and I just started The Sopranos

Better late than never, amirite?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: March 24, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »

It's worth it.  Still probably my vote for best drama ever. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: March 24, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »
I haven't seen it either. Perhaps I'll give it a go when I'm done with Lost.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #604 on: March 24, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »

This is one I've never watched either. My brother has been trying to get me to start forever. It's like 90 something episodes though! Seems so daunting. Undoubtedly it's as good as it's reputation....I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: March 24, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »

This is one I've never watched either. My brother has been trying to get me to start forever. It's like 90 something episodes though! Seems so daunting. Undoubtedly it's as good as it's reputation....I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

it was one of those few shows that was good when:
- it was a story arc episode, OR it was a stand alone episode;
- it was a character piece episode OR it was an ensemble piece;
- it was a serious dark episode, OR it was a light-heartened mood piece;
- it was oriented on the family, and the troubles at home, OR it was oriented on the "work" and the troubles there;
- it was a script-driven episode, OR it was an acting-driven episode.

That's not to say they were all winners, but it was one of those few shows that ALWAYS had the chance to be great, and even in the lesser episodes there always seemed to be a great MOMENT.

My opinion, only.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »
DISPATCHES FROM ELSEWHERE

the pilot episode was tonight on AMC. I am on board, although I'm not sure how categorize this show. It's kind of a conspiracy theory type show with Scifi elements about living in society and what people were meant to do vs what they could do or where to be.

I almost got a David Lynch or Lost vibe to it.

I’m planning on watching this one. Looks good

So I'm current on 'Dispatches from Elsewhere' and I really don't know what to think of it? I 'like' it.....but it hasn't completely sold me on it.....yet, I am curious as to how this is going to turn out? It's just a weird show....just compelling enough to want to see what happens next but not in any sensationalized manner. It's the most boring 'neat' show I've watched in a while. It's hard to explain.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #607 on: March 25, 2020, 03:56:54 AM »
Finished Locke and Key.

It had a very nice premise but damn, the protagonists made so many dumb and illogical decisions because they were infected with a severe and acute case of Plot-Demands-It-Virus. In the hands of better writers this would have been a smash hit.

I'm about to finish Sex Education which is surprisingly good and clever and funny, and then I want to start The Crown, while I will finish soon season 2 of Peaky Blinders.

I must say I'm not really a fan of gangsters and the protagonists are either downright drunken violent assholes, or men whose bad sides far outweighs the good, but the world building and production values are absolutely incredibile. It's worth watching alone for the feeling of really being in the post-WWI Birmingham, even if all the protagonists are violent criminal assholes. We thought Cillian Murphy was great as the Scarecrow, but damn if he steals every scene as the icy, cold blooded, intelligent and sometime compassionate Thomas Shelby. Absolutely amazing performance.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
Brooklyn 99 is amazing.

Let me know when you meet Doug Judy.

And his sister. Lol

They were both in the most recent episode of the current season.  Great stuff!

SO... any takers on "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"?   Ugh.  I don't know.  The girl that plays Zoey is hot AF, I like Lauren Graham (and she does a great job with her character) and Peter Gallagher makes everything better, but....

I can't stand Skylar Astin, and the premise is just a tad too "Glee" for me. 

I agree about Jane Levy (redhead), although she's a bit too petite for my taste.  I really liked her in Suburgatory.  Because of her and thinking that the concept sounded interesting, I watched the first episode, but it failed to hook me.  I think my 16 year old may have continued to watch, though.  She really liked Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which is fairly similar in its presentation.

Count me among those who's never seen The Sopranos.  Every once in a while, I think about taking a run at it, but it seems like it will be a lot of effort.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #609 on: March 25, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
The Sopranos is my favorite show of all time, and one that I consider to be the best show of all time.  It was funny, had incredible actors, absolutely brilliant writing and a great story (a mob boss that sees a shrink, and has to handle the duality of his family life and work life). 

I'm amazed that there are people who haven't seen it.  It was a phenomenon when it was airing. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: March 25, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »
I'm amazed that there are people who haven't seen it.  It was a phenomenon when it was airing.

This show began right when I moved out of my parents house. At the time, I had basic cable and couldn't afford HBO. A year or two later when I could afford it.....I was already behind and getting caught up on shows like that at the time was way more difficult than it is these days.

Online pg1067

« Reply #611 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
The Sopranos is my favorite show of all time, and one that I consider to be the best show of all time.  It was funny, had incredible actors, absolutely brilliant writing and a great story (a mob boss that sees a shrink, and has to handle the duality of his family life and work life). 

Not everyone has/had HBO.  My wife and I never had any of the pay cable channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) until we switched to Spectrum a few years ago because of issues we had with Verizon FIOS/Wireless.  The Spectrum package she signed up for included a bunch of HBO, Showtime, etc. channels, although we don't watch them much.

I've also never seen a single episode of Breaking Bad (even though that wasn't on pay cable).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #612 on: March 26, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »

Other shows I that I also didn't watch when they originally aired:

The Wire (which gets MY vote for best show of all time)
Mad Men
Breaking Bad

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #613 on: March 26, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »
I need to watch The Wire. 

I'm not criticizing anyone...just very surprised that people haven't seen it, since it's now 20 years old.  I was in college when it started airing and my parents got me hooked...they'd record 3-4 weeks worth of episodes on a VHS tape and mail it to me.  My friends and I would be so excited when they'd see a package show up from my parents, knowing that we'd have a few episodes to watch.

I still laugh when I think about certain episodes....I'd love to watch the series a 3rd time through, but I just don't have enough time in my life right now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
Among other things I've finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders.

The show is so well done that it manages to make me appreciate the gangsters genre. I have a hard time being fan of gangsters - I don't like their whole attitude, their cloaking the horrible deeds they do under a respectable facade, their "you looked me dirty, you didn't show me respect so I'm a gunna burn your house down" attitude. Not my thing at all, and hard to sympathize with. But damn, the absolutely high production values, the soundtrack, the sets, the costumes, the performances... they're all completely and utterly top notch that I can't stop watching.

It's a show where everything else is so good, that the fact that the protagonists are a bunch of criminal assholes is not even an issue. Looking very forward to continue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
Among other things I've finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders.

The show is so well done that it manages to make me appreciate the gangsters genre. I have a hard time being fan of gangsters - I don't like their whole attitude, their cloaking the horrible deeds they do under a respectable facade, their "you looked me dirty, you didn't show me respect so I'm a gunna burn your house down" attitude. Not my thing at all, and hard to sympathize with. But damn, the absolutely high production values, the soundtrack, the sets, the costumes, the performances... they're all completely and utterly top notch that I can't stop watching.

It's a show where everything else is so good, that the fact that the protagonists are a bunch of criminal assholes is not even an issue. Looking very forward to continue.

This Series is AWESOME!!! It just never slows down....it builds on itself and keeps you engaged. The show has a way of making you ignore all the things you pointed out that the gansters do....that are horrible....and 'root' for them. And, I think that Tommy is smoking a cig in every scene he's in....and drinking whiskey in 95% of them.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »
Cillian Murphy is more than awesome in the role, and Tommy obviously is built up to make you root for him the most possible.

Among great scenes, there's his final one in season 2, where he's being brought in the field to be killed by the Red Hand Army - it didn't happen anyway, one of them was a Churchill spy and saved him - and he's there al calm and collected, as his usual self, muttering "so close.... so close..." (to achieve all his dreams he means), and then screams out in frustration. Impressive acting.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
Cillian Murphy is more than awesome in the role

Yep. He makes the show obviously. Just perfectly cast in that role and gets to 'show off' quite a bit with what they've written for him.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Finally getting around to season 2 of Killing Eve. New season starts soon and I flaked out on season 2. Not sure why. Awesome, highly recommended show.

Plan on getting this done by the weekend.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online pg1067

« Reply #619 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
My wife and I started watching Criminal Minds at least a few years after it started and watched regularly until it ended back in February.

A couple weeks ago we started from the very beginning and have now made it to roughly the 10th episode of season3.

We were a little surprised (although I don't know why) that J.J. and Reid were both there from the start.  Also a little surprising that how much of an ass Morgan was (same with Rossi at the start).  And Hotch actually had a personality for a while!  It was also a lot more graphic/violent at the start.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #620 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
Oh, since many people liked it, I'm plowing through all the episodes of Brooklyn 99 whenever I can. Hilarous stuff, I can't think of an episode that made me go "meh, this wasn't funny". I'm about to finish sesaon 1.

Usually I like to space out the shows I watch, be them dramas or short comedies, but given the quarantine and there being so many seasons of the show, I guess I can as well go through it all without pauses.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: April 02, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
My wife and I started watching Criminal Minds at least a few years after it started and watched regularly until it ended back in February.

A couple weeks ago we started from the very beginning and have now made it to roughly the 10th episode of season3.

We were a little surprised (although I don't know why) that J.J. and Reid were both there from the start.  Also a little surprising that how much of an ass Morgan was (same with Rossi at the start).  And Hotch actually had a personality for a while!  It was also a lot more graphic/violent at the start.

That's actually a bugaboo of mine; I get that people have to evolve, and no actor - other than Hugh Laurie - likes to play a douche forever, but I don't like how singular and striking characters (I'm thinking Archie Bunker, Sheldon from Big Bang, too) all seem to melt and morph into lovable iconoclasts if the shows run long enough.   

Online pg1067

« Reply #622 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »

That's actually a bugaboo of mine; I get that people have to evolve, and no actor - other than Hugh Laurie - likes to play a douche forever, but I don't like how singular and striking characters (I'm thinking Archie Bunker, Sheldon from Big Bang, too) all seem to melt and morph into lovable iconoclasts if the shows run long enough.

I've seen you post about that before, but I'm not sure it's entirely applicable to the characters I mentioned.  I'm not sure about Morgan, but Hotch's personality started to change when his wife left him with his very young son (and will change more when they get kidnapped and the wife is killed).  Rossi's change will probably come largely when he gets more familiar with the group and recognizes that it will be valuable to work as a team, as opposed to a group of individuals.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: April 02, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
I suppose if it's organic to the story - which you can claim with Sheldon too (love!) - it's more easily excused, but I watch very early episodes of BBT and it's almost like a different show.   

Another, slightly related, is when the cast of comedies gets so comfortable with each other there are smug little laughs in the show.   BBT is guilty of that too.   If you don't know what I mean, it happens in the episode where they are helping at the food kitchen with Elon Musk.   Just saw that a couple nights ago.   

I know, first world problems, but it's fun to talk about given the severity of everything else going on.

Online pg1067

« Reply #624 on: April 02, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »
I suppose if it's organic to the story - which you can claim with Sheldon too (love!) - it's more easily excused, but I watch very early episodes of BBT and it's almost like a different show.   

Another, slightly related, is when the cast of comedies gets so comfortable with each other there are smug little laughs in the show.   BBT is guilty of that too.   If you don't know what I mean, it happens in the episode where they are helping at the food kitchen with Elon Musk.   Just saw that a couple nights ago.   

I know, first world problems, but it's fun to talk about given the severity of everything else going on.

I think Sheldon's evolution was more natural.  Amy, on the other hand, made a lot less sense to me.  She was, arguably, far more of a "robot" than Sheldon when she was first introduced and for the first season or so, and her personality change was much more jarring.

Also, go back and watch the pilot and the first handful of episodes from season 1 (also, if you haven't already seen it, check out the ORIGINAL, unaired pilot with a different actress playing the "Penny" role -- I think her name was "Katie").  Sheldon regressed (for lack of a better word) before he evolved.  He was very much of a smart aleck at the very start.  I don't watch Young Sheldon, but I have seen bits and pieces here and there, and there is NO way that the character Young Sheldon grew into the character on BBT.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: April 02, 2020, 06:53:28 PM »
Oh, since many people liked it, I'm plowing through all the episodes of Brooklyn 99 whenever I can. Hilarous stuff, I can't think of an episode that made me go "meh, this wasn't funny". I'm about to finish sesaon 1.

Usually I like to space out the shows I watch, be them dramas or short comedies, but given the quarantine and there being so many seasons of the show, I guess I can as well go through it all without pauses.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: April 03, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »

I think Sheldon's evolution was more natural.  Amy, on the other hand, made a lot less sense to me.  She was, arguably, far more of a "robot" than Sheldon when she was first introduced and for the first season or so, and her personality change was much more jarring.

Also, go back and watch the pilot and the first handful of episodes from season 1 (also, if you haven't already seen it, check out the ORIGINAL, unaired pilot with a different actress playing the "Penny" role -- I think her name was "Katie").  Sheldon regressed (for lack of a better word) before he evolved.  He was very much of a smart aleck at the very start.  I don't watch Young Sheldon, but I have seen bits and pieces here and there, and there is NO way that the character Young Sheldon grew into the character on BBT.

That's a really good point on Amy; she was supposed to be the female Sheldon, and yet she was the one that led him to "enlightenment" so to speak.  Excellent observation.

I won't watch Young Sheldon out of principle.  I DESPISE the snarky, know-it-all wiser-than-their-years kids.   When my daughter was younger I would almost always sit through the Disney shows, but the ones like "Zack and Cody" used to make my blood boil.  If I was that mom (hot, by the way) I would've locked them in the boiler room for a couple of days.   :) :) :) :)

Online pg1067

« Reply #627 on: April 03, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
I won't watch Young Sheldon out of principle.  I DESPISE the snarky, know-it-all wiser-than-their-years kids.   When my daughter was younger I would almost always sit through the Disney shows, but the ones like "Zack and Cody" used to make my blood boil.  If I was that mom (hot, by the way) I would've locked them in the boiler room for a couple of days.   :) :) :) :)

The kid who played Cody also played Ben (Ross's son) on Friends (and currently plays Jughead on Riverdale, which my 16yo watches).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2020, 05:02:21 PM »
Not really a show but i've been watching Kevin James short films on his youtube channel. They're really well made and hilarious.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
Watched 3/4 episodes of Unorthodox on Netflix.

This is a seriously fantastic show about a young married girl from an ultra orthodox area in New York running away to find herself in Berlin. Highly recommended. It’s only 4 episodes. A good amount is in English but a lot is in Yiddish with subtitles.

Really great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com