Author Topic: Post-Rock  (Read 70604 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Re: Post-Rock
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
I find the first half of Spirit of Eden much better than Laughing Stock.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Ħ

« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »
Having only listened to Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock once each, I thought they were both pretty similar in quality (and both pretty great).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
Picked up "Hymm to the Immortal Wind" by Mono on vinyl yesterday (already had it on CD for ages) (along with Valtari by Sigur Ros!). Some really beautiful pictures and text that comes with it, can't wait to give it a listen when I fix my player/get a new one. Anyone else got this on vinyl?

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »
while i think Spirit Of Eden is awesome, i dont see why the hell some people think its better than Laughing Stock.
i mean, Spirit Of Eden doesnt give you that epic surreal feel that Laughing Stock gives you
I love beautiful things.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2012, 01:58:57 AM »
Isn't that kinda subjective though? There's also the fact that many people connect an album with a certain time of their life, maybe the first time they heard it, or they went through a certain phase and the album meant a lot to them. As for Talk Talk I haven't really listened yet (though it's on my list), but if we take Sigur Rós for example, some people have Agaetis Byrjun as their favorite, some have ( ) and there are also people who prefer Takk. I think these are all amazing albums, and while ( ) is my personal favorite, I can definitely see why someone would prefer any of the other two. :P

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
You forgot two Sigur Ros albums there... :p Two of my best real life friends have Von and Meo sud... as their #1 :p Mine is ( ) personally.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:37 AM »
Yeah those are two really great albums as well, I just sorta narrowed it down to the most common ones.  :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2012, 02:10:12 AM »
Yeah, I imagine they would be in the minority there :lol It's funny when we talk about Sigur Ros, my friend who ranks Meo as #1 really doesn't like Von compared to the others and vice versa for the other friend who likes Von the most. They pretty much have the opposite rankings :p

We all really loved Valtari though, went out and bought it after uni yesterday and listened to it out the back in my garden, it was really great.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2012, 03:39:59 AM »
I never understood why a ð is replaced by an o. I mean, a d is so much better since it has a visual and at a phonetic similarity but an o??

Also I hate people who claim Von is their favourite Sigur Rós album. It's not true and everyone knows it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
I never understood why a ð is replaced by an o. I mean, a d is so much better since it has a visual and at a phonetic similarity but an o??

Also I hate people who claim Von is their favourite Sigur Rós album. It's not true and everyone knows it.
I don't really know about the phonetic similarity but on the front cover it looked more like an o to me so I just call it "meo" in real life. Also Von is my least favourite Sigur but its pretty close to meo. I rank them all very evenly. Von is very underrated, great album.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2012, 04:59:54 AM »

While I think Von is perhaps a bit more unpolished then the others (but understandable since it's a debut, and it's still great), I could understand someone having it as favorite if they have fond memories related to it. Maybe it was the first Sigur Rós album they heard, or some songs on it clicked during an emotional period of their time.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Von had some great moments but as an album I think it's terrible. Also I don't think anyone out of Iceland ever heard of Sigur Rós before their tour for agætis byrjun in 2000 and I don't think that anyone's first contact with Sigur Rós in these times well be Von either. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
Well, there's probably someone outside of Iceland that heard of Sigur Rós before Von. I know they got their break with Agaetis Byrjun, and that's when the buzz started to spread. As for people hearing Von first, I don't think many SR-fans would say "start with Von", but if we're talking hypothetically, there are people who like to start with the first album and work their way chronologically, and there are people who don't download music, and maybe they just happened to stumble across a copy of Von at the local recordstore, picking it up by chance.
I agree that someone holding Von as their favorite is rare, but apparently it happens, and they're not "wrong" since it's all opinions, if they like it more then they probably have their reasons. I rarely listen to it, but it is quite different from the other SR-albums I would say. A bit more dense, "unpolished", but it has "Hafssól" (which was really beautiful on Inni) and the title-track is quite great as well. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2012, 05:26:02 AM »
On the sigur rós message board there are quite a few people who stick around but hate sigur rós, except for Von (or so they claim). I'm sick of that attitude. OK surely such people exist but they are nowhere near as great in numbers as message boards and forums would say. It's just a way to be cool or something to day I like nothing but Von.. I don't know. Even Sigur Rós don't like the record.
Also neither hafssól nor von are anything like the "versions" they play today. In the case of hafssól they even changed the name of to hafsól because it is so different. Von has only one great song, syndir guds, and two good songs, hún jörd myrkur. The rest range from barely OK to crap.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »
Yeah well Von was the first Sigur my friend heard cause he listened to their discography in order. I'm not 100% sure if he actually ranks it #1, he sometimes just says it to annoy my other friend (as well as bagging med, even though he still loves it :p) but I'm dead sure he would rank it top 3 (above Takk and Med). I agree, I hate that kind of attitude of people trying to be 'elitist'. But I can assure you there are quite a few people that love Von on its own merits (including me). As Zantera said it's a different style and some people could prefer that style, or the darker atmosphere which is not really there on their later albums.

Also I think a band disliking their own work is not a great argument since there are plenty of examples I can think where I love those respective albums (Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd is a top 5 Floyd album for me!).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:13:43 AM by Jirpo »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: May 26, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »
Yeah. If you ask most artists and bands what they think about their first album, I don't think too many of them would say the best things.  :lol It's the first album and even though in some cases the debut gets praised, the further into the career the band or artist gets, they will keep evolving and there wont be much left from how the first one sounded.
As with Sigur Rós I think they really found their sound on Agaetis Byrjun. Von has bits and pieces of it, but like I said, a bit "unpolished", in some songs they might go a bit too ambient, in others not ambient enough perhaps, and I think that's noticeable on the album.
And yeah, the new versions of the Von-songs are quite different (and I'd say better), but I still enjoy the old ones.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: May 26, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
Georg: Exactly. But for example I listened to ‘Von’ the other day, because it was being re-released on vinyl, and I just needed to do a test-drive, to check the sound quality, nothing else. And suddenly I started really enjoying the music. It occurred to me that this was a damn good record. Just, really good. Sounded better than I remembered.
https://www.grapevine.is/Features/ReadArticle/THE-BOYS-ARE-BACK-IN-TOWN

So they don't ALL hate it at least! :p

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2012, 01:34:04 AM »
Heh I guess not. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
I've got a Godspeed You! Black Emperor concert coming up in a few months, and I'm trying to become a little more familiar with their work. What do you guys think the best starting place would be for me? I've never seen post-rock in concert, and I'm looking forward to a very unique and exciting experience.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
Lift Your Skinny Fists.... is a great starting place. :)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
Sweet, I just found the full album on Youtube. Sounds very interesting so far, have any of you guys ever seen GY!BE live?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
I saw them last year and it was incredibly awesome and special  :tup.

To be honest, I don't think there is one album which stands out as a starter album. Maybe the 'Moya' ep, two great songs to get into as opposed to one long album. Also Lift your skinny fists like Kari said. Such an amazing album.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
Everything they have is great!

Offline adace

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
That song was pretty beautiful.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2012, 04:21:01 AM »
Any of you guys checked out the band Leech? Listened to The Stolen View a few weeks ago and listened to it about 4 times since, really great album. Would recommend checking it out.

Heres a taster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mpz6HhJe_M

Offline krands85

« Reply #341 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
Mono's new album trailer:
https://youtu.be/weZLy-_ncUg
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline adace

« Reply #342 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: June 15, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »
Not gonna listen but really can't wait!

Offline adace

« Reply #344 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
New Hammock song/video. This band can do no wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrWe6Foq1A&feature=g-u-u

Offline krands85

« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
Mono song from their new album: Dream Odyssey
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Worlds End Girlfriend or Do Make Say Think? Two fantastic artists I think don't get enough credit!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
Do May Say Think are really good. Haven't listened to the other, though, thanks for the rec :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #349 on: July 18, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »
I've only heard Worlds End Girlfriend's collaboration with Mono, which is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. What's their best album?

Oh and, Mono's new song is totally amazing. I can't wait for the album!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.