Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 322478 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #735 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
Symphony X has never been the best at keeping the fans updated; the website is fairly weak.  Hopefully there will be updates very very soon.  This will be one of my most eagerly awaited cd's of 2011

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #736 on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Eh, after Paradise Lost, I kind of..............lost.....interest. If they keep trying to get heavier (which it seems they are) I'll stop caring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #737 on: January 09, 2011, 07:22:29 AM »
I think the biggest problem with Symphony X is that they don't have an internet savvy guy to have a twitter to update people.

Also, I'm predicting a bit of a step down from the heaviness on the next album. They've been progressing in heaviness the same way DT did. PL was their TOT, and the next one might be their 8VM.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #738 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
As good as they are they don't put the work in.

This genre demands you bust your ass, and Symphony X seem to have all the time in the world.

Which is fair enough if they have other means to make money. They could be so much more though.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Pigeon

« Reply #739 on: January 09, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »
I don't mind the heavier stuff, but my fav albums from the band are the ones in which Miller contributed. Damnation Game to Twilight in Olympus are great.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: January 09, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
I love everything they have released so far, so as long as the new material falls within those realms, I will be happy

Offline jsem

« Reply #741 on: January 09, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »
I think the biggest problem with Symphony X is that they don't have an internet savvy guy to have a twitter to update people.

Also, I'm predicting a bit of a step down from the heaviness on the next album. They've been progressing in heaviness the same way DT did. PL was their TOT, and the next one might be their 8VM.

Considering that DT's 8vm was supposed to be a "back to the roots" album....
I wouldn't mind epic neo-classical work + semi-heavy progressiveness. I wouldn't mind it at all.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #742 on: January 10, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »

This genre demands you bust your ass, and Symphony X seem to have all the time in the world.

Which is fair enough if they have other means to make money. They could be so much more though.

What else do they do? I know Russell Allen was a knight at Medieval Times (which was seriously metal to the max) but now what?
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #743 on: January 10, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »

What else do they do? I know Russell Allen was a knight at Medieval Times (which was seriously metal to the max) but now what?

I know Russell does his solo stuff and records alot with Aryeon and Star One , I don't know what the others have been doing.

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #744 on: January 10, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
Yeah, the solo and the stuff with Jorn...ok how freakin amazing would it be if he and Jorn had a couple songs together on the tour coming up?! Come on...I HAVE to see them perform together.  This studio only crap isn't fair.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: January 10, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
The Allen/Lande cd last year "The Showdown" was awesome; I love all three of them.  It will hold me over for awhile, but I need a new Symphony X release soon!!

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #746 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:48 AM »
I've been thinking about how nostalgia affects my opinions when it comes to albums. The first SX I heard was Twilight in Olympus, and to this day, that's my favorite. I just don't get it when one of the band members (Romeo?) states in an interview (Classic Rock presents PROG) that Paradise Lost is their best by far, and that Twilight is his least favorite. But there you go. Twilight and Divine Wings will always be my faves.

It's the same with DT for me. Images and Words got me hooked, and so nothing will ever surpass that. Not saying it's the same for everyone else, though.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #747 on: January 11, 2011, 05:42:18 AM »
I've been thinking about how nostalgia affects my opinions when it comes to albums. The first SX I heard was Twilight in Olympus, and to this day, that's my favorite. I just don't get it when one of the band members (Romeo?) states in an interview (Classic Rock presents PROG) that Paradise Lost is their best by far, and that Twilight is his least favorite. But there you go. Twilight and Divine Wings will always be my faves.

It's the same with DT for me. Images and Words got me hooked, and so nothing will ever surpass that. Not saying it's the same for everyone else, though.

Man, do not listen to the artist talking about his albums. They always say the best is the last one and the worst is always the most different album from the last one. It's all promotion.

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #748 on: January 11, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »
You have a point there...

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #749 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
That's true, but it's also true people often think the first one they listened to is the best. I know I still think of Paradise Lost as their best and that was the first of theirs I tried. V is the only one that's possibly better or as good, for me.

But yeah, it's be a pretty poor interview if a member of the band just says "Well this latest record's all right, I don't think it's as great as our last but whatever..."

Offline LTE3

« Reply #750 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
As much as I love these guys, they need to seriously start making haste with bringing out this new album.

I would like to know how they can even afford to live with such little involvement in touring and new album releases.

Seriously.

I agree dude, they all must have day jobs washing dishes or something. Getting any info from them is like pulling teeth. If they were half as involved as Dream Theater they could be as big. Two records in nine years blows and no DVD to speak of. What the fuck, and I love these guys.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline jsem

« Reply #751 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
In an interview during Sweden Rock Festival 2007, they said they had so many ideas for paradise lost that could be used for later albums that next album wouldn't be coming in another 5 years but much sooner. So much for those promises.

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
Well, Russell Allen did just have another kid not too long ago...so he has 2 kids and a wife to keep happy, I'm sure that keeps him busy?

Offline jsem

« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
Apparently... it does. :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
I agree with LTE3; Symphony X should be as big as DT.  However, that comment seems to stir some debate; but I really believe that.  Obviously Romeo is a wizard on the guitar and their epic tracks are just that-epic (The Odyssey rules!).  I think that Russell Allen is awesome and in my opinion is one of the most underrated metal singer's along with Ripper Owens and Zak Stevens.  Great, great band but there are too long of gaps in between releases.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »
I agree with LTE3; Symphony X should be as big as DT.  However, that comment seems to stir some debate; but I really believe that.  Obviously Romeo is a wizard on the guitar and their epic tracks are just that-epic (The Odyssey rules!).  I think that Russell Allen is awesome and in my opinion is one of the most underrated metal singer's along with Ripper Owens and Zak Stevens.  Great, great band but there are too long of gaps in between releases.

Russell's voice is amazing, and holds up great live. I got the feeling at times after reading the DT biography and just in general that Mike P would have loved Jame's voice to be more like Russells especially during this metal phase he has been going through. I recall when Paradise Lost came out I thought it was a better effort then Systematic Chaos, and it had much longer staying power in my car stereo. I still crank it often, expecially when I am working out. It just has this groove.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
SymX is really great.. they are big around the NJ area obviously, Romeo is a monster..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Adami

« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Romeo is a monster..

He might look like one, but he's just a person like you or me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »
:lol asshole

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Romeo is a monster..

Adami, you're a dick.

...But I lol'd. Quite hard.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
I would love to hear an album with Russell Allen and James Labrie; just like Allen has been doing with Jorn Lande.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
Romeo is a monster..

LOL... I believe you are correct!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
Just came in to say Stallions posts back a ways reminded of Stan by Eminem.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
Romeo is a monster..

Adami, you're a dick.

...But I lol'd. Quite hard.

To be fair, I thinkt he guy is quite awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »

Man, do not listen to the artist talking about his albums. They always say the best is the last one and the worst is always the most different album from the last one. It's all promotion.

Now that is real truth.  Anytime a new album comes out, an artist tends to salivate all over it to sell it as much as possible, and they tend to downplay the quality of whatever album is the least like their most recent work.   Symphony X is particularly guilty of this since they barely even acknowledge the two albums before Divine Wings, and aside from a few classics from Twilight they don't really seem to like that album either.  I guess I can understand Romeo being disappointed that they weren't able to complete the epic title track for that album, but it still has some of their best songs and it stands well enough on it's own.  At a certain point you've just got to move on and live with your past, and realize that some of your "mistakes" may be moments that are most endearing to your fans.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
Was hoping the thread getting bumped meant there was some news.

Disappointed again...

This is weird though. The album has to be close to done by now. You'd think there'd be some news by now. Especially with a tour coming up.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #767 on: January 17, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
Yeah i'm annoyed

Same with the whole DT drummer thing

Seriously, do lawyers have all this shit tied up?

Online Adami

« Reply #768 on: January 17, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
Yeah i'm annoyed

Same with the whole DT drummer thing

Seriously, do lawyers have all this shit tied up?

Jason Rullo is joining DT.

Bet no one saw THAT coming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #769 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
Yeah, Rullo in DT and Thomas Walling back in SX would be sweet.
I've been listening to TiO these last few days and it is just as fresh and awesome as when I first heard back in 1998. Something I can't really say about their other albums (although they are still awesome, minus PL). Too bad Romeo's brain cells have been replaced with fat ones and they get more and more one-dimensional since V.