Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321597 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #490 on: May 14, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »
Well today I had a party in AP World celebrating the end of the course, and this girl baked all this stuff and we played chess and their was Mountain Dew and we had a double period and-

oh you meant Symphony X news. :neverusethis:

My god the blood!  :omg:
It took three janitors to get it cleaned up and we were all so-

wait wut?

I'd say this kind of talk belongs in a King Crimson thread.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: May 14, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Well today I had a party in AP World celebrating the end of the course, and this girl baked all this stuff and we played chess and their was Mountain Dew and we had a double period and-

wait wut?

Do we have one?

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #492 on: May 14, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »

wait wut?

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

• DT.net Member
« Reply #493 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:01 AM »

wait wut?

Do we have one?

The search feature seems to indicate no. Someone should make one.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: May 15, 2010, 07:38:59 AM »

wait wut?

Do we have one?

The search feature seems to indicate no. Someone should make one.

Actually, the search function indicates yes. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3857.0
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #495 on: May 15, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
^ Typed "king crimson thread" into the search field but not with the quotes and got this:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=search2

With quotes on it I actually got no results. Our search engine's capabilities leave much to be desired.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: May 15, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
You were just being too specific.

Anyways, Symphony X is a pretty cool band.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #497 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »
You were just being too specific.

Anyways, Symphony X is a pretty cool band.

Stop derailing my fucking derail!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: May 15, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »
Okay, fine. This is now the King Crimson thread.

I don't really seem to like Discipline as much as a lot of people seem to after my first couple listens.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #499 on: May 15, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
Okay, fine. This is now the King Crimson thread.

I don't really seem to like Discipline as much as a lot of people seem to after my first couple listens.

:clap:  :heart

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
I know this is Symphony X we're talking about and they take forever to do anything but with an album all but finished you'd think we would be getting more news than this.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #501 on: May 21, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »
I know. It seems they've been recording since February...

Jax says it's a label thing, but I'm not convinced

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: May 21, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »
You'd think we'd be getting even more news than usual because the label wants to hype up their newly signed band.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2010, 02:12:09 AM »
Forgot to post here that I listened to The Damnation Game just last week, good stuff. I like.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2010, 05:26:54 AM »
Forgot to post here that I listened to The Damnation Game just last week, good stuff. I like.

I consider it their Morningrise(Opeth for the 3 or so members on this forum that aren't familiar.) Second album that shows a decent bit of coming into their comfort zone while exhibiting a growing confidence while still having that fun "anything goes" feel to it thanks to not being bound by fans' expectations and is thoroughly under-appreciated by a sizable chunk of their fanbase.

Very great album and far too many folks fail to realize that the improvements made on this album paved the way for Divine Wings which would become the favorite of most fans until The Odyssey and Paradise Lost brought in a newer regime who are at times very guilty of ignoring their earlier works. Even more impressive about it setting up Divine wings stylistically is that it was preceded by easily the least favorite of their fanbase(self-titled.)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:43 AM »
The Damnation Game is far and away my favorite Symphony X album.

I :heart it

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
When I read SPNKr's post, I just knew PLM would be down there responding. :lol

Damnation Game. Good album. That there album is good. Yes sir.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: June 18, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
News!

Just spoke with MJR and here's the latest scoop! Mike said that the drums and most of the rhythm guitars are all recorded. At the moment, they are fine tuning the lyrics and melodies, during which time Russ will also be recording his vocals. Personally, I get more excited about this cd the more Mike tells me about it; I am quite secure in saying that it will be well worth the wait.

While the band is busy working on the cd, we'd like to keep you busy as well; the band needs your help, in two areas. Firstly: the existing FAQ on the band's website was put together when 'The Odyssey' came out; obviously that was quite a while ago and lots has changed since then, including some significant gear/endorsement changes as well as a label change. So that's where you come in: help us put together a new FAQ for the new website. What do you want to ask the band? PLEASE do not send in questions like 'when are you going to play [insert location]?' or 'when will you make a dvd?'; best to stick to general information questions if you want the band to answer them. Send in your questions to symxfaq[at]gmail.com with "FAQ" in the subject line, and they'll be sent to the band; who knows, your question may show up in the FAQ on the band's new site! For those who have been wondering, we're anticipating that the new site will launch around the same time as the new cd.

Secondly: what band(s) would you like to see tour with/open for Symphony X? Who do you think would match best with SymX, or bring in a good crowd? Send your suggestions to symxfaq[at]gmail.com and perhaps you'll get to see the band you choose on SymX's next tour.

That's it for now; hopefully now that we've gotten the update process all ironed out, our news updates will be a lot more regular again. Thanks for your patience!

Jax
SymX Staff

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #508 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
I would love to see Symphony X tour with Redemption.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: June 18, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
I wish there would be more news about what the album is actually sounding like.  :-\

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #510 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »

I heard something about a possible nevermore and symphony x tour previously... but redemption would be sweet!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #511 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »

I heard something about a possible nevermore and symphony x tour previously... but redemption would be sweet!
Nevermore's going to be touring with Warbringer, so that's doubtful.

Of course, this album probably won't be out until 2012, so they'll probably be free by then.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

• DT.net Member
« Reply #512 on: June 19, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »
News!

Just spoke with MJR and here's the latest scoop! Mike said that the drums and most of the rhythm guitars are all recorded. At the moment, they are fine tuning the lyrics and melodies, during which time Russ will also be recording his vocals. Personally, I get more excited about this cd the more Mike tells me about it; I am quite secure in saying that it will be well worth the wait.

While the band is busy working on the cd, we'd like to keep you busy as well; the band needs your help, in two areas. Firstly: the existing FAQ on the band's website was put together when 'The Odyssey' came out; obviously that was quite a while ago and lots has changed since then, including some significant gear/endorsement changes as well as a label change. So that's where you come in: help us put together a new FAQ for the new website. What do you want to ask the band? PLEASE do not send in questions like 'when are you going to play [insert location]?' or 'when will you make a dvd?'; best to stick to general information questions if you want the band to answer them. Send in your questions to symxfaq[at]gmail.com with "FAQ" in the subject line, and they'll be sent to the band; who knows, your question may show up in the FAQ on the band's new site! For those who have been wondering, we're anticipating that the new site will launch around the same time as the new cd.

Secondly: what band(s) would you like to see tour with/open for Symphony X? Who do you think would match best with SymX, or bring in a good crowd? Send your suggestions to symxfaq[at]gmail.com and perhaps you'll get to see the band you choose on SymX's next tour.

That's it for now; hopefully now that we've gotten the update process all ironed out, our news updates will be a lot more regular again. Thanks for your patience!

Jax
SymX Staff

Sorry if this sounds nitpicky but it seems pretty damn ungrateful to ask folks to contribute to something that will help the band's website but place immediate restrictions on it. I get the "don't ask if they're gonna play [city] any time soon" since it's pretty narrow as to how many fans would benefit from knowing about just one specific city but something like a DVD question is definitely a frequently asked question by their fanbase especially since they've never made an official one and to my knowledge have only been on Gigantour's DVD.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: June 19, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
How is that ungrateful? Information about a DVD isn't something I would put in a FAQ.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #514 on: June 19, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »
How is that ungrateful? Information about a DVD isn't something I would put in a FAQ.

Because as I stated they have never released an official Symphony X DVD and I'd bet a good chunk of their fanbase(definitely me) would very much like to know if they have any plans of action on it so, yes, I'd say that's a frequently asked question.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #515 on: June 19, 2010, 06:21:23 AM »
I wish they'd give us some fucking samples already.

They do like to take their time don't they? In a way I respect that about SX, but it's torture for their fans!

Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: June 19, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
They spent two months+ recording drums? That seems longer than usual...

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #517 on: June 19, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
Then they must be better than usual :tup
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »

They do like to take their time don't they? In a way I respect that about SX, but it's torture for their fans!

How could they give us samples if it's not even done being recorded?

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »

How could they give us samples if it's not even done being recorded?

He obviously knows the drums aren't done .. He just wishes he could hear some samples. Re: being excited.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #520 on: June 21, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »
Ok, so I'm listening to PL after not hearing it for quite a while and Track 7 comes on (The Walls of Babylon).  Am I going crazy or was this song inspired by the Prince of Persia video game series?  I mean seriously, the intro sounds like music from PoP and the reference to Babylon.  The Prince's kingdom in the game was called Babylon.  I haven't completely read through the lyrics yet, but there seems to be similarities.  Am I just repeating old news?  I haven't read the entire thread so sorry if this was posted previously.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #521 on: June 21, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »

Because as I stated they have never released an official Symphony X DVD and I'd bet a good chunk of their fanbase(definitely me) would very much like to know if they have any plans of action on it so, yes, I'd say that's a frequently asked question.

With all due respect, your viewpoint on the subject is just dumb and I would slap you with a herring if you had voiced it in my presence.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: June 21, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
:herringslap:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #523 on: June 21, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
:progger:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #524 on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
YES
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.