Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 386754 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #560 on: February 14, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
Ghost is boner worthy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #561 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
Ghost is boner worthy.
I mistakenly thought you were talking about the band  :-X
But Ghost is also a great album!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
The band is pretty cool too.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
WTF, Flying Colors released albums beforehand?!!

https://www.amazon.com/s?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=music&field-artist=Flying%20Colors

"Light of the world is Jesus" seems a bit too Morse-y, but I might be interested in "O how wonderful".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: February 14, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
 :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #565 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
The lyrics are great on this album, something that is pretty rare on Prog nowadays.

And in regards to DT needing a producer, I agree, I fail to see why not other than having some bad experience with a couple of producers previously... the vast majority of other bands cope just fine and probably put out better albums because of it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #566 on: February 14, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
The lyrics are great on this album, something that is pretty rare on Prog nowadays.

And in regards to DT needing a producer, I agree, I fail to see why not other than having some bad experience with a couple of producers previously... the vast majority of other bands cope just fine and probably put out better albums because of it.

It could be stubbornness, or perhaps pride, but I can understand their mentality. It might not have been the bad blood they had back during the FII sessions that has turned them off to outside producing. Perhaps it was the huge success that the following two albums had that showed them that if they do their own work, their own way, they can get the results they want, at least enough to please their fans. In some ways, they were right - Train Of Thought and Octavarium both turned out great, but the next two could have used some producing from an outside source.

On one hand, we really get their vision, we listen to what THEY truly wanted US to hear, so we get a closer look into their own minds. On the other hand, they don't get the added benefit of a more objective listener in the writing/recording stage, which many fans might have wished for, especially where parts had been too long, too weird, or in some cases, too short!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #567 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
It's a little bit like a writer refusing to have an editor...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #568 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
I'd say it's actually more like a husband refusing to have sex with his wife, or something. :neverusethis:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #569 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

It could be stubbornness, or perhaps pride, but I can understand their mentality. It might not have been the bad blood they had back during the FII sessions that has turned them off to outside producing. Perhaps it was the huge success that the following two albums had that showed them that if they do their own work, their own way, they can get the results they want, at least enough to please their fans. In some ways, they were right - Train Of Thought and Octavarium both turned out great, but the next two could have used some producing from an outside source.

On one hand, we really get their vision, we listen to what THEY truly wanted US to hear, so we get a closer look into their own minds. On the other hand, they don't get the added benefit of a more objective listener in the writing/recording stage, which many fans might have wished for, especially where parts had been too long, too weird, or in some cases, too short!

-Marc.
Excellent post Marc.

This is my very personal opinion: especially at this point of their career, they don't have to please anybody, they don't need to win new fans, or to show that they can write excellent songs. They have already shown what they are capable of. I am more interested in them doing whatever they want and to record what sounds great to them, and in getting a 100% DT album, than in having some outside assistance than in some people's opinion can improve their music. I don't even need them to make music that is pleasant to me, they have already done that a million times, I want them to be themselves and to enjoy their artistic freedom. Whether I like it or not is secondary. I say this seriously: I'd prefer them to release an album that I considered weak but that they can call their own work, than to have an album that I liked but that didn't make the band feel completely free. Trying to intervene or influence on any band's musical decisions feels very disrespectful to me, and more so if it's a band as talented as DT.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:02:25 PM by reneranucci »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #570 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
I don't think it's that simple.  Even the best actors, for example, need good direction and help from a good director, and the same can be said for those in the music industry as well, even the really talented ones.  Talent is one thing; harnessing that talent in the proper way is another (which I mean in a general way, so no one thinks I am saying that DT has not harnessed their talent well).

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #571 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
I don't think it's that simple.  Even the best actors, for example, need good direction and help from a good director, and the same can be said for those in the music industry as well, even the really talented ones.  Talent is one thing; harnessing that talent in the proper way is another (which I mean in a general way, so no one thinks I am saying that DT has not harnessed their talent well).
That phrase really irritates me. Is there a "proper way" to make music? Who decides what that is?

But this is not the thread for this discussion, I'm sorry for derailing the conversation.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #572 on: February 14, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
A preview of a few of the song is streaming on the band's Facebook page, though I suppose this doesn't matter for many of  you.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #573 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
A preview of a few of the song is streaming on the band's Facebook page, though I suppose this doesn't matter for many of  you.

I don'ts gots Facebook no mo.  :sadpanda:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #574 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
Does anyone hear Muse at all when they listen to these guys?  The music seems Muse-y as fuck often.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: February 15, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
No it doesn't.   :biggrin:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: February 16, 2012, 06:47:19 AM »
Does anyone hear Muse at all when they listen to these guys?  The music seems Muse-y as fuck often.

No

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #577 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »

"Like" the Page to stream this track for free.

I decide whether or not I "Like" Flying Colors after I've tried out the music, not before. I'll wait.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
So far, everything from the first track through Forever in a Daze is just absolute gold for me (OK, maybe Shoulda Woulda Coulda is more like silver). I'm also coming around on All Falls Down and Fool in my Heart.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #579 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
I've heard the FB previews and I am stocked.  Can't wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #580 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
This is a remarkably good album. Good for MP to have struck gold on that combination of musicians. Even though he easily is the most replaceable in the group.

rumborak

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #581 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »
Can't wait to hear this. I'm holding out for the official release.

Even though he easily is the most replaceable in the group.
In all fairness to MP, the drummer is almost always the most replaceable person in any band.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #582 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »
I get that. It just struck me that for somebody who suddenly had a lot of free time, his drumming was just the usual fare.

rumborak

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #583 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
I get that. It just struck me that for somebody who suddenly had a lot of free time, his drumming was just the usual fare.

rumborak

I like how he isn't flamboyant. Shows he can restrain.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #584 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »

rumborak

Considering the time-frame (this album was recorded less than 4 months after he left DT), and the nature of the project, I think he was okay with "taking a back seat" on this one and not do his usual watch-me-play-the-drums-all-flashy-and-loud bit. I like his restraint on this album, and it's a good change, especially after an album like TA's The Whirlwind, which did have some of his best drumming to date.

I really like that he BLENDS well in this group, it's not a lot of over-bearing fills and loud metal grooves (unless it's a metal song of course). He pulls back and isn't afraid to do so on this album. He has his loud-metal project (Adrenaline Mob), so this is his softer, less complex outlet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline unklejman

« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
Yeah, but restraint is not antithetical to something new and original.  His drumming is appropriate to the music, but it's pretty much standard fare MP. Same fills, same patterns.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #586 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »

rumborak

Considering the time-frame (this album was recorded less than 4 months after he left DT), and the nature of the project, I think he was okay with "taking a back seat" on this one and not do his usual watch-me-play-the-drums-all-flashy-and-loud bit. I like his restraint on this album, and it's a good change, especially after an album like TA's The Whirlwind, which did have some of his best drumming to date.

-Marc.

A couple weeks prior to recording Flying Colors, MP did Neal's Testimony 2, which is a similar type of music, so the contrast is even greater in that respect.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »

No, but Infinite Fire reminds me a lot of Set Us Free by Transatlantic
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #588 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »

rumborak

-Marc.

A couple weeks prior to recording Flying Colors, MP did Neal's Testimony 2, which is a similar type of music, so the contrast is even greater in that respect.

Ahh yes, I nearly forgot about that. Indeed that is a stark contrast, especially considering that the two albums were recorded within a month of each other. Also, Neal even seems to be less in the spotlight on FC - perhaps this was to allow Steve and Dave to shine more, especially to fans of Neal/Mike who aren't (very) familiar with them. The bass on this album is CRANKED up and every song has amazing bass sound and, in most instances, parts! And Steve just shines throughout the album.

I'm not saying all of Neal's and Mike's parts are very pedestrian or tame, but they did take a back seat while both Steve and Dave took a front seat on this album. I wouldn't mind that formula again, but it would be interesting to hear them ALL really shred on their next album.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #589 on: February 16, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
Neal even seems to be less in the spotlight on FC - perhaps this was to allow Steve and Dave to shine more, especially to fans of Neal/Mike who aren't (very) familiar with them. The bass on this album is CRANKED up and every song has amazing bass sound and, in most instances, parts! And Steve just shines throughout the album.

I've listened to it three times now, and every time, I find myself "forgetting" that I'm listening to Neal Morse, Steve Morse, and Mike Portnoy, three guys whose work I'm very familiar with.  I just think of them as Flying Colors, the band.

It probably helps that I'm not familiar with the lead vocalist, so the voice doesn't constantly remind of someone else.  With Transatlantic and early Spock's Beard, Neal's voice is so distinctive that, right or wrong, I tend to think of them as "Neal's band".  Flying Colors has its own identity, its own sound.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #590 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
Neal even seems to be less in the spotlight on FC - perhaps this was to allow Steve and Dave to shine more, especially to fans of Neal/Mike who aren't (very) familiar with them. The bass on this album is CRANKED up and every song has amazing bass sound and, in most instances, parts! And Steve just shines throughout the album.

I've listened to it three times now, and every time, I find myself "forgetting" that I'm listening to Neal Morse, Steve Morse, and Mike Portnoy, three guys whose work I'm very familiar with.  I just think of them as Flying Colors, the band.

It probably helps that I'm not familiar with the lead vocalist, so the voice doesn't constantly remind of someone else.  With Transatlantic and early Spock's Beard, Neal's voice is so distinctive that, right or wrong, I tend to think of them as "Neal's band".  Flying Colors has its own identity, its own sound.

Interesting point, about how a different main vocalist (because both Mike and Neal do sing some lead parts) can alter perception of the band, despite having familiar instrumentalists.

I wonder what fans of Alpha Rev/Casey (will) think about Flying Colors? I've never heard any of his stuff before now, but I'm intrigued. Suffice to say, I think fans of anyone BUT Casey might be tempted to check him out, more so than fans of Casey would to check out the other member's output, but who knows, perhaps Neal may gain some new fans from Casey's audience? I guess time will tell how this cross-pollination of audiences will play out.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #591 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
From their FB

It looks like people are really enjoying the music they've heard, and that's great! Some journalists have heard the album…if you're sharing about it, it probably makes sense to identify yourself as one.

If you're someone who managed to get the album…some other way…maybe don't share about it? It's not really fair to everyone else. We won't censor anything—just asking.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: February 16, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
"Like" the Page to stream this track for free.

I decide whether or not I "Like" Flying Colors after I've tried out the music, not before. I'll wait.

Because it's so hard to unlike them if you don't like it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #593 on: February 16, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »
HE'S TAKING A STAND!

So anyway, are we not allowed to talk about the record, bosk?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #594 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
HE'S TAKING A STAND!

So anyway, are we not allowed to talk about the record, bosk?
Yeah I assumed that Facebook post was meant for Facebook, due to people talking about the album on their wall..