Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 121580 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3220 on: May 05, 2024, 05:38:54 AM »
Lol. I do every day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3221 on: May 05, 2024, 07:21:29 AM »
Lol. I do every day.

Especially today after last night.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3222 on: May 05, 2024, 04:35:13 PM »
People who don’t have children, but have pets.

Talk about fucking insecure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: May 05, 2024, 05:08:40 PM »
Especially today after last night.

My sister in law made a silly tree. They are going bananas right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3224 on: May 05, 2024, 07:08:18 PM »
I could sure live without Valentines Day I’ll give you that.

With my wife's and my birthdays are in October, then Christmas, and then our anniversary in January, my wife and I mutually agreed many years ago to ignore V-Day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: May 05, 2024, 07:10:08 PM »
Agree, Valentines Day is a load of shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3226 on: May 06, 2024, 07:29:25 AM »
I think I'm with Bart, mostly, on this.  While I get the push back to the commercialization of these things, and the formality, and the false creation of the expectation, I do think it's probably not the worst thing in the world to be kinder to people in our lives. 

(Funny story, except if you're one of the principals: a friend of mine has been forced to address a staffing issue in her organization, and finally came to the unfortunate resolution that she had to let someone go.  She made the plans to replace them, etc. and with flex time working had to coordinate when everyone was in the office to actually pull the trigger.   She gets in to the office that day and someone says "Happy Admins Day!"  She's like "wait, what?  I'm letting my admin person go on Administrative Assistant's Day?!?!?"   I told her, though, that one made up "holiday" doesn't change the performance over the last three, four years and doesn't change the decision. If nothing else, when we're old (well, older) and gray (well, grayer) you'll have a great story to tell.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: May 06, 2024, 09:25:28 AM »
People who don’t have children, but have pets.

Thought this was making you exasperated and was about to be offended  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3228 on: May 06, 2024, 09:45:35 AM »
Talk about fucking insecure.
What are you talking about?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3229 on: May 06, 2024, 12:31:56 PM »
I think I'm with Bart, mostly, on this.  While I get the push back to the commercialization of these things, and the formality, and the false creation of the expectation, I do think it's probably not the worst thing in the world to be kinder to people in our lives. 

Yes, I totally agree, and I agreed with what Bart said.  He had a very reasonable post, and I expected nothing else.

I still think it sounds soft though. And I get it, we have Secretary Day, Bosses Day, Mailman Day. WTF? Everyone gets a day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: May 06, 2024, 12:34:26 PM »
Yes, I totally agree, and I agreed with what Bart said.  He had a very reasonable post, and I expected nothing else.

I still think it sounds soft though. And I get it, we have Secretary Day, Bosses Day, Mailman Day. WTF? Everyone gets a day.

Yeah, add me to the group that's not a fan of a day for everyone and every thing, that's just like.... every day.

I should also add, not a fan of mothers/fathers day either.  That's not meant to disrespect my parents, I love them, but I just have always hated those days from my childhood and still now. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: May 06, 2024, 12:47:52 PM »
Well, there's another level to this that I've avoided 'till now.  I didn't grow up this way - we weren't a very loving or touchy-feely family - but as I got into college and started to learn about the world, I ended up sort of going against the family grain.  I told my parents I loved them.   When we got to the point that we knew time was running short I got to hug my dad and tell him I loved him and that I wouldn't be the man I am without him, full stop.  I didn't need a day, or a card, or anything like that.  I held him (he was frail from cancer) and told him what I needed to say.  I did the same with my mom. 

I don't know how Wolfie means it, but I really DO think this is a sign of our insecurity as a nation.  It really feels like we - collective - need these affirmations and that they serve more as virtue signaling than any sincere expression of gratitude.  I would ALWAYS call my mom and dad on mothers/fathers day, and my kids are great with it too.  But I always tell them, don't waste money on a card or any of that; make sure you help your mother bring the groceries in.  Don't leave your tools/toys/whatever in the yard where I can hit them with the mower.  Just, generally, be a good human.  That means more to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3232 on: May 06, 2024, 12:50:52 PM »
Well, there's another level to this that I've avoided 'till now.  I didn't grow up this way - we weren't a very loving or touchy-feely family - but as I got into college and started to learn about the world, I ended up sort of going against the family grain.  I told my parents I loved them.   When we got to the point that we knew time was running short I got to hug my dad and tell him I loved him and that I wouldn't be the man I am without him, full stop.  I didn't need a day, or a card, or anything like that.  I held him (he was frail from cancer) and told him what I needed to say.  I did the same with my mom. 

I don't know how Wolfie means it, but I really DO think this is a sign of our insecurity as a nation.  It really feels like we - collective - need these affirmations and that they serve more as virtue signaling than any sincere expression of gratitude.  I would ALWAYS call my mom and dad on mothers/fathers day, and my kids are great with it too.  But I always tell them, don't waste money on a card or any of that; make sure you help your mother bring the groceries in.  Don't leave your tools/toys/whatever in the yard where I can hit them with the mower.  Just, generally, be a good human.  That means more to me.

I'm on board with pretty much all of this and it reflects a lot of my experience as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3233 on: May 06, 2024, 12:56:07 PM »

Seems to me that it's more of a manufactured expectation. You call your parents on mothers/fathers day because you're a dick if you don't. I didn't create the rule, Hallmark did, but once it became established I kind of had no choice but to go along with it. I get the virtue signaling part, but is there really any sort of affirmation there?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: May 06, 2024, 12:56:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm on board with Stadler's statements as well.

I was just joking with my coworker about cinco de mayo.  Like yesterday my social media was filled with people either eating mexican food or drinking margaritas (or both).  I eat and drink this stuff all the time, I don't need this day to "celebrate" and I feel the same for St. Patty's day.  It's such an odd American thing to just drink on these days as if its an excuse to do so.  We are adults here, I don't need some fake holiday to enjoy Mexican or Irish culture. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: May 06, 2024, 01:03:57 PM »
Seems to me that it's more of a manufactured expectation. You call your parents on mothers/fathers day because you're a dick if you don't. I didn't create the rule, Hallmark did, but once it became established I kind of had no choice but to go along with it. I get the virtue signaling part, but is there really any sort of affirmation there?

Not so much with Fathers/Mothers day, but certainly the others; there's obviously not any "CEO's Day!" or "Senior to Middle Manager Leader of Staffs of Greater than 5 but not quite 25 Day".  I think the obvious answer is "well, of course not, they're getting paid" but I don't think that's accurate. I think these things are a way of creating a false sense of worth for some people to identify with, rather than teaching them to find that value within.

EDIT:  Same to Marc's point.  I agree completely, and most of my friends and I call these days "amateur hour". 

I get this is a cynical take on things, but we live in cynical times. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3236 on: May 06, 2024, 01:10:25 PM »

I think the daily celebrations are pretty dumb, but I like the annual markers. For me, it's got little to do with celebrating cultures, and everything to do with a bunch of people getting together to share a common vibe. Maybe it's due to the portion of my soul that corporate American has crushed, but I long for those kind of days. I don't think I've ever celebrated a Cinco De Mayo outside of of going to Senor Ponchos, which I do about once a month anyway, but I love a good St. Patrick's Day celebration. It's almost like a Halloween of sorts. Another day that means precisely dick in the grand scheme of things, but it's a scheduled moment where we all have the green light to just let loose a little and switch off for a few hours. I could barbeque any day of the week, but I look forward to Memorial Day and 4th of July the most because everyone is down to party and hang out. Same goes for all the other holidays now that I think of it. They're all just excuses to get together with people, and I think that's fine.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: May 06, 2024, 01:11:30 PM »
there's obviously not any "CEO's Day!" or "Senior to Middle Manager Leader of Staffs of Greater than 5 but not quite 25 Day".

Noy yet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: May 06, 2024, 01:12:04 PM »

I think the daily celebrations are pretty dumb, but I like the annual markers. For me, it's got little to do with celebrating cultures, and everything to do with a bunch of people getting together to share a common vibe. Maybe it's due to the portion of my soul that corporate American has crushed, but I long for those kind of days. I don't think I've ever celebrated a Cinco De Mayo outside of of going to Senor Ponchos, which I do about once a month anyway, but I love a good St. Patrick's Day celebration. It's almost like a Halloween of sorts. Another day that means precisely dick in the grand scheme of things, but it's a scheduled moment where we all have the green light to just let lose a little and switch off for a few hours. I could barbeque any day of the week, but I look forward to Memorial Day and 4th of July the most because everyone is down to party and hang out. Same goes for all the other holidays now that I think of it. They're all just excuses to get together with people, and I think that's fine.

GREAT restaurant. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3239 on: May 06, 2024, 01:13:35 PM »
Noy yet.

Boss' Day is pretty close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss%27s_Day

Boss's Day (also written Bosses Day or Boss' Day) is generally observed on or around October 16th in the United States. It has been pitched as a day for employees to thank their bosses for being kind and fair throughout the year. The concept has been opposed as nothing more than a meaningless Hallmark Holiday, as well as placing unfair pressure on employees to kowtow to managers who earn more than they do while exercising power over them.[1]

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3240 on: May 06, 2024, 01:16:36 PM »
GREAT restaurant.

We go for Taco Tuesday's whenever. At the bar they have taco menus (like drink menus but with tacos), and you can order tacos at your own pace like drinks. I'll get a beer and a steak taco, and then another beer and a pork belly taco, etc.. We love going there.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3241 on: May 06, 2024, 03:03:02 PM »
Not so much with Fathers/Mothers day, but certainly the others; there's obviously not any "CEO's Day!" or "Senior to Middle Manager Leader of Staffs of Greater than 5 but not quite 25 Day".  I think the obvious answer is "well, of course not, they're getting paid" but I don't think that's accurate. I think these things are a way of creating a false sense of worth for some people to identify with, rather than teaching them to find that value within.

EDIT:  Same to Marc's point.  I agree completely, and most of my friends and I call these days "amateur hour". 

I get this is a cynical take on things, but we live in cynical times.
I don't disagree with this, but I still want to point out that it's not the secretaries, the parents, the senior managers, or the pet parents that are clamoring for this. I guess I'm just pushing back on the last sentence a little. I don't know if it's what you mean, but you make it sound like it's affirmation of worth by the parents (pet or human), secretaries, and senior managers. I'd say it's (aside from a cash grab for florists and Russel Stover) more about reminding people of others' worth. For most it's probably not necessary. I actually don't have any problem with secretaries day, though (as evidenced by my tendency to NOT call them executive assistants!).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3242 on: May 06, 2024, 04:08:38 PM »
To paraphrase a wise man, "Given that Saint Valentine was a third century Roman priest who was stoned and beheaded, . . . a more appropriate celebration of [Valentine's Day would] be [to] tak[e] one’s steady gal to witness a brutal murder."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3243 on: May 06, 2024, 04:31:47 PM »
What are you talking about?

The need to accommodate to every single type of person out there that doesn't fit the bill of a specific holiday to make people happy or feel somewhat special.  My comment probably comes across like this idea is driven by people that class their pets as children, which wasn't the case, I think just as a society it shows we are leaning towards a more insecure society and this just seems like inclusiveness at another level.

Before you say I'm reading way too much into it, yes I know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: May 06, 2024, 04:32:26 PM »

Exactly my point.  Getting fucking stupid and soft.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: May 06, 2024, 04:33:40 PM »

Should have read all the posts first.  This.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3246 on: May 06, 2024, 05:51:53 PM »
...happy teacher's appreciation week, everyone :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: May 06, 2024, 06:08:28 PM »
Wow a whole week and summers off? Sheeshhh

jk... happy teachers appreciation week my dude. You do a great service.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3248 on: May 06, 2024, 06:22:28 PM »
...happy teacher's appreciation week, everyone :biggrin:

Ugh, talk about an overrated and over praised profession.

:biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: May 07, 2024, 05:27:04 AM »
I don't disagree with this, but I still want to point out that it's not the secretaries, the parents, the senior managers, or the pet parents that are clamoring for this. I guess I'm just pushing back on the last sentence a little. I don't know if it's what you mean, but you make it sound like it's affirmation of worth by the parents (pet or human), secretaries, and senior managers. I'd say it's (aside from a cash grab for florists and Russel Stover) more about reminding people of others' worth. For most it's probably not necessary. I actually don't have any problem with secretaries day, though (as evidenced by my tendency to NOT call them executive assistants!).

I don't think we're miles apart here; I'm not sure it matters WHO is starting it, it's this belief that these virtue-signaling shout outs are necessary.   To me, it's less than honest, and diluted.  I think we'd be better served by more personal, one-on-one expressions of gratitude than these grand gestures. 

I've said this before:  we - Americans - have gotten really REALLY good at the grand gesture, the extravagance, and we BLOW at the smaller, more meaningful (arguably), more personal gestures.   The same people giving the finger on the highway because the other guy had the temerity to pick the lane that was being merged instead of the lane that was receiving the merge is also, odds on, the one with yellow ribbons on their facebook, and BOSTON STRONG! t-shirts, etc.   I'm sorry to be so cynical, but I think most of those things are the easy, selfish way to signal to others how great we are instead of doing the unselfish, hard work of actually BEING great (or greater, at least). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3250 on: May 07, 2024, 06:46:33 AM »
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: May 07, 2024, 06:49:30 AM »
The need to accommodate to every single type of person out there that doesn't fit the bill of a specific holiday to make people happy or feel somewhat special.  My comment probably comes across like this idea is driven by people that class their pets as children, which wasn't the case, I think just as a society it shows we are leaning towards a more insecure society and this just seems like inclusiveness at another level.

I treat my cats as children.  My wife and I tried for a decade to have children.  As well as in vitro 3 times.  We were heartbroken.  The cats have filled a void in our lives. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3252 on: May 07, 2024, 07:38:06 AM »
Seems like there's enough people who think there are too many holidays to justify a special day just for them!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3253 on: May 07, 2024, 08:16:32 AM »
Seems like there's enough people who think there are too many holidays to justify a special day just for them!
Time for Curmudgeon's Day!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3254 on: May 07, 2024, 08:41:25 AM »
Time for Curmudgeon's Day!

Yay! Finally I have my special day!!!