Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 486054 times)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1120 on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »
Pic from the studio? From JP's Facebook today...

A 6 string, but in what tuning? Typically JP uses E or D.

Also, I know it's been brought up before, but his hair sure is thinning on top :P When people can see the balding pattern through your hairstyle, it's time to do something.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1121 on: March 28, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
really?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1122 on: March 29, 2015, 07:14:36 AM »
really?

What is this in response to?
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »
Compensate with an even bigger beard  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1124 on: March 29, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
Show your back hair!!

AMIRITE?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1125 on: March 29, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
Their new Facebook profile pic:

I know I'm late to the party here, but I can't help seeing this as "3TH Anniversary" or Threeth Anniversary, with the Majesty logo just inside a circle as part of the design.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
Am I the only one who sees two eyes under the DT logo in that pic?^^  :rollin
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1127 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
Am I the only one who sees two eyes under the DT logo in that pic?^^  :rollin

It's Gollum.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1128 on: March 29, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
really?

I just think it is kind of mean spirited to talk about Petrucci's hairline.  I mean what is constructive about the criticism?  There aren't too many things that should be off limits, but talking about their genes should be one of them.  Should we ask him to be a little less "Italiany"?

And it isn't a direct response to you per se.  Just the fact that it seems to show up everywhere (here, youtube, probably twitter/facebook) and I doubt it puts a smile on Petrucci's face.  So it is more of a request that we at least kind of drop that here.  People can talk about the beard all they want.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1129 on: March 29, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
I don't see those comments as out of bounds at all. The man is 47 years old. That comes along with certain things for most men, including thinning hair. This isn't the 1980s where your sales were directly proportional to your follical prowess; I think if JP cut his hair short (and it looks good on him when he does), a lot of people would probably say "finally!!".
I dunno; to me, when a long-existing band starts cutting their hair (e.g. Rush), I see it as a sign of maturation. It's essentially saying " yup, we're not a band in our twenties. We do this stuff for the love of music, not to keep up some pretense. ". I find the longer DT tries to run this " ZZ Top in a biker bar" image, the less believable it becomes. MM's caked-on hairdo during the ADTOE tour was reaaaally stretching it. Especially when he had such a likable hairdo during the documentary.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:43:42 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1130 on: March 29, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
I basically agree with Calvin on this one.  Not really for the fact that it's personal and that we shouldn't be passing judgement on him but why are we discussing their hair styles and whatnot like we're the first wives club?   It's a bit tacky and effeminate.  I'm waiting for Melissa Rivers to join in and comment on James' clothing selection. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1131 on: March 29, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »
Discussing hairdos is "effeminate"? What year is this?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1132 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Discussing DT's public image is "effeminate"? o_O?

I think a conversation based around JP's inevitable baldness is a bit much, no?  That's just my personal view of it though.  People can discuss whatever they want, just like I can opine that I think it's a tacky conversation.   :smiley:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1133 on: March 29, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
Personally, I'm confident enough in my masculinity to discuss DT's hair without feeling uncomfortable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1134 on: March 29, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
I agree with Prog Snob. If information on the new album is so scarce that we've stooped to the level of criticizing their hair, maybe we should just give it a rest until we have some actual information. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1135 on: March 29, 2015, 04:05:10 PM »
Personally, I'm confident enough in my masculinity to discuss DT's hair without feeling uncomfortable.

Same here. No offense Prog Snob, but equating awareness of looks with being effeminate is 1950s gender stereotype.
Especially when it comes to a band that so clearly makes use of hair extensions and dying.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1136 on: March 29, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »

:lol

It's not even remote close to that.  ;)   

I agree with Prog Snob. If information on the new album is so scarce that we've stooped to the level of criticizing their hair, maybe we should just give it a rest until we have some actual information. :lol

I think we should look into that picture of JP playing the six-string some more.  Or the picture of Jordan in the  studio. We can now confirm that Jordan is indeed still in the band.   :lol

Same here. No offense dude, but equating awareness of looks with being effeminate is 1950s gender stereotype.
Especially when it comes to a band that so clearly makes use of hair extensions and coloring.

Why do I care about hair extensions and coloring though?  At the most, when it comes to their look, I've maybe said that the shirts that JP wears are pretty cool looking.  That's one thing.  But to nitpick at his inevitable baldness and MM's hair extensions is a bit on the side of lacking in better topics for conversation.  Maybe it is a stereotype.  Maybe I feel that a group of men chattering over JP's bald spot or MM's hair extensions is a bit much.  So sue me.   :P    ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1137 on: March 29, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
I can't comment.  I'm balding, overweight, and fashion has passed me by. :lol

Rumbo, if only JP had a blue metal sweater like you.  Think of all the possibilities.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1138 on: March 29, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »

Seriously, for me this is all part of the greater discussion about Dream Theater's image. Ever since they switched to RoadRunner, they ran with a certain image, which for a while was okay, but at this point I think has seen its day, especially when it is clear that the image can only be upheld with hair extensions and dying.
I personally wouldn't mind if they made a clean cut (pun intended) and went for a new image, one which they could maintain for the remainder of their career.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: March 29, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
the image can only be upheld with hair extensions and dying.

:emo: let's hope not.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1140 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »
I personally wouldn't mind if they made a clean cut (pun intended) and went for a new image, one which they could maintain for the remainder of their career.

Somebody's angling for that DT fashion consultant job.  I vote assless leather chaps.  That's so metal and so manly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1141 on: March 29, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
They don't have their hair a certain way because of some unified image they're trying to have, or because of RR. They present themselves how they want. Why are we criticizing people for how they choose to dress or have their hair? It's a prog band, I thought prog fans were supposed to be above image.

Basically it just comes down to "I don't like the way they look", which is irrelevant on so many levels.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT ALBUM THEY'RE APPARENTLY RECORDING?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: March 29, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
 :omg: Wait ? Dream Theatre are in teh studio ?

I hope it's as good As Metro Police : Part 2 ; Scenes of Inner City Turbulence.

That one was Rad.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1143 on: March 29, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »

SO HOW ABOUT THAT ALBUM THEY'RE APPARENTLY RECORDING?

I don't know what you're talking about.  I'm home trying to grow my beard like JPs.   ;)

Now the album would be done if MM would get out of the snow and JR would stop taking vacations.   :lol   Kidding of course. 

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1144 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »

*le sigh* I just can't get mad at someone with that avatar. It would have to be really bad xD

I'm sorry if I sounded rude about it. The image of a band holds some importance to me, and hair is a big part of a person's image. I'll stop talking about it now. Continuing the discussion about the 6 string, I'm curious to find out how much of the album will feature a 6 as opposed to a 7. Usually JP keeps it pretty balanced, but will he perhaps lean toward one side this time around?

Calvin6s

« Reply #1145 on: March 29, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
I'm sorry if I sounded rude about it.
I wouldn't worry about it.  You weren't the first.  You won't be the last.  And none of us are guilt free.  It probably wouldn't be that hard to find me doing something similar.  I'm sure it's out there.

I wasn't really calling *you* out, just a call for some empathy.  It isn't like his beard has to grow and he can't change that up, so that's kind of good natured joking.  I doubt that bothers him.

Well, I don't want to dwell on it and I don't want to be the spokesman for this.  Just wanted to let you know there is zero ill will toward you from me.

I'm curious to find out how much of the album will feature a 6 as opposed to a 7. Usually JP keeps it pretty balanced, but will he perhaps lean toward one side this time around?

I'm wondering if he is going to explore outside the guitar instruments he's used in the past.  Has he ever used an 8 string?  A MIDI (synth) guitar?  Or just some new effects chain that creates guitar tones we haven't heard before (from DT or other guitarist - think Tom Morello).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1146 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
When it comes to sounds, JP is a very meat-and-potato kind of guy. Delay and chorus, that's usually it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: March 30, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »
I seem to recall JP saying he wouldn't use an 8 string.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: March 30, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »
When it comes to sounds, JP is a very meat-and-potato kind of guy. Delay and chorus, that's usually it.

No delicious chocolate cakes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
really?

I just think it is kind of mean spirited to talk about Petrucci's hairline.  I mean what is constructive about the criticism?  There aren't too many things that should be off limits, but talking about their genes should be one of them.  Should we ask him to be a little less "Italiany"?

No we shouldn't ask him that. Quit being silly and touchy. It's not a big deal what so ever what was said.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1150 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »
really?

No we shouldn't ask him that. Quit being silly and touchy. It's not a big deal what so ever what was said.
Exactly. It's no different than seeing a long-lost friend of your's for the first time in several years, and later on commenting to your spouse or other friends about a change in their appearance. It's an observation more than anything else, but what he does with his appearance is fair game just like anything else. Shouldn't be the primary topic of conversation (unless he does something controversial) but it's a natural thing to do amongst fans of public figures.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1151 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »
I agree of course with Blob that if there actually were any news from the studio, we'd likely be discussing that instead. But since there isn't any, this is fair game too.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1152 on: March 30, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »

It's better that way, IMO. JP has a very distinguishable sound. If the tone is processed too much, it starts to lose some of that individuality.

Speaking of tones, if I ever meet him I want to ask him about some of the equipment he's used in the past. I'd probably be the first person to ever ask him "How did you get your WDADU tone?"

EDIT: I read that he used a B.C Rich guitar and some Ibanez's, but he doesn't know what amp he used. Damn...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1153 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
I agree of course with Blob that if there actually were any news from the studio, we'd likely be discussing that instead. But since there isn't any, this is fair game too.
Yeah, basically.

For the record, I don't like JP's beard at all. It doesn't even remotely affect my opinion of their music, but personally I don't think it looks good.

And when people say image shouldn't matter, that's surely down to each individual fan? It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and that seems to be the case for many people, but for some people it does matter. And image can also be used to draw in fans. If the band genuinely have their hair and clothes based on what each of them individually wants and likes, then that's cool. I can't dispute Rumby's point that the "metal" image stepped up a lot when they joined RR and hasn't really decreased much since.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: March 30, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »
But since there isn't any, this is hair game too.

:neverusethis: