85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 316790 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1365 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
 :rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #1366 on: March 02, 2013, 01:08:38 AM »
Just dropping in to say Night of the Stormrider & The Dark Saga are my favorite Iced Earth albums.  :metal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:34:20 PM by RichardRG »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: March 03, 2013, 03:48:13 AM »
Stormrider is just a monster all the way through, a really underrated metal album if you ask me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:45 AM »
You inspired me to listen to Stormrider again, and I'm almost done.  Fucking great album, and IMO, the vocals are amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1369 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

................... SPLATCH AN ANGELS HOLOCAUST

Offline adace

« Reply #1370 on: March 12, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1371 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
That doesn't even sound live. At least with Alive in Athens, you can tell it's a live album, touched up or not.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1372 on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
So this just might be me being dead tired but the only thing I can hear there is Stu and the drums. Where's the bass and the guitar crunch.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1373 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
Jon forgot that a live album needs to sound live and not polished like a studio album with no crowd at all.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: March 12, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
Jon forgot that a live album needs to sound live and not polished like a studio album with no crowd at all.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1375 on: March 12, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
Exactly.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
I'll watch this when I get home tonight.  Not excited by your comments though guys, but that's pretty much what I expected.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1377 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Maybe he's been learning from Dream Theater.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:44 AM »
Dystopia from the DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBDjXsu7hk&feature=player_embedded

Wow, this sucks balls.  I love this band, but this is shit. 

First off, Stu sounds weak as piss, this whole performance while pitch wise is fine, is thin, weak and really just doesn't work for me.

Second, the whole thing is pretty much overdubbed, it sounds thin, compressed, no audience, adn teh guitars have no grunt.

Third, of course the guitar solo is over dubbed, Troy is one of the worst guitarists I've ever heard.

Fourth, 3:45, the cymbals are not in the mix at all, this section just looks overdubbed from the cymbal hits.

I think I'll stick to my Festivals DVD, Matt and Ripper would both sit down have a beer and laugh their asses of at this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1379 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »
The little bit I heard sounded like it was just the studio version with some fireworks added on. And yeah, that definitely wasn't Stu from that night. I hope Alive In Athens didn't get the same treatment, because although there are claims of overdubs out the wahzoo, it still sounds live and awesome to me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: March 13, 2013, 05:53:24 AM »
Alive in Athens is one of the best things I've ever heard.  I've heard those claims about the overdubs, but at least it was live, and sounded live, this is just another level, disappointing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1381 on: March 13, 2013, 06:02:43 AM »
The little bit I heard sounded like it was just the studio version with some fireworks added on. And yeah, that definitely wasn't Stu from that night. I hope Alive In Athens didn't get the same treatment, because although there are claims of overdubs out the wahzoo, it still sounds live and awesome to me.

It's pretty easy to tell what's overdubbed and what's not by watching the Alive in Athens DVD.  Plenty of the guitar solos were overdubbed, and it appears like some of Barlow's vocals (although less than one might suspect).

EDIT: Schaffer complained bitterly about the editing of the DVD when it came out.  I assume that's what he was really talking about.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:10:14 AM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1382 on: March 13, 2013, 06:12:49 AM »
It's pretty easy to tell what's overdubbed and what's not by watching the Alive in Athens DVD.  Plenty of the guitar solos were overdubbed, and it appears like some of Barlow's vocals (although less than one might suspect).

The DVD isn't really a good reference to that since Century Media just slapped on the audio from the CD to footage from both nights. I don't think Larry did much overdubbing either since a few of his solos weren't so good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:30:43 AM by Zook »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1383 on: March 13, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
That's what some people claim, but there are two problems with that reasoning:

1. it would be transparently obvious if one night's audio was put on another's video
2. if I remember correctly, only 5-6 songs were repeated over the two nights

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1384 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:28 AM »
I'd say it's pretty obvious on Stormrider. Or do you think Jon faked talking to the crowd?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1385 on: March 13, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »
Hmm, I'm looking things up and I'm getting conflicting info.  Some say there were different setlists on both nights, while others say they were the same.

Anyways, I turned up some raw footage from one of the Athens shows.  Couple obvious mistakes.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1386 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »
That video sounded like a studio version of Dystopia if that album had been recorded in 1986 and the CD never re-done for loudness.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »

The DVD isn't really a good reference to that since Century Media just slapped on the audio from the CD to footage from both nights. I don't think Larry did much overdubbing either since a few of his solos weren't so good.

Yeah I tend to agree with this, the DVD isn't a good reference.

I also think Larry's rhythm is actually Jon's just panned on the other speaker.  It was well known that Larry played his parts with just chords at times and had trouble with the rhythm parts.  I think you can see that in the DVD too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1388 on: March 13, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
... Well he still sounds good on the CDs... *cries*

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
indeed, i'd say every song on Alive in Athens is overdubbed to hell. the two setlists culled to make it are both on setlist.fm and it shows very little overlap, as mentioned, and even the overlapped songs weren't played the same (i.e. "Dark Saga" -> "Last Laugh" was only played that way in one of the gigs) and i think most of the songs weren't played to a click (except maybe "Dante's Inferno") so there wouldn't be consistent timing across the different performances of those same songs to use as, for instance, the second rhythm guitar. thus, i'm quite sure Jon re-did at least one side of the rhythm guitars, if not all of them, on the entire thing. most of the solos and transitions to/from clean guitar also sound too perfect to be from the original tapes.

the difference between Athens and this upcoming release, obviously, is that Athens wasn't overdone. Jim Morris knew how to mix all the ingredients to keep the live feel and mix the crowd without sounding like it was a studio record layering in a fake crowd, like those classic Metallica songs from Kill 'Em All that were re-recorded for Jump in the Fire and had fake audience sounds plastered in between. (i'm sure the Athens crowd is quite enhanced, though!)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1390 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »
The main reason the overdubbing in Alive in Athens doesn't bother me is that it sounds great.  The album fucking rocks, period.

The other reason is that I know Iced Earth can sound just as good live.  Have y'all listened to the radio bootleg of the Gothenburg show on the Horror Show tour?  The band sounded just as good (minus mix problems with Schaffer's mic) there.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: March 14, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
I put on the AIA DVD last night while drifting off to sleep.  I only watched a few songs, but it is fucking awesome.  The visual and audio matchup was pretty good, I'm pretty sure it's mostly live, although I'm pretty sure Jon re-recorded Larry's rhythm for him.  Everything else, I don't see how there would be much over dubbing.

But anyway, it's fucking awesome.  Man, this band use to be so fresh and bass ass with so much power, energy and natural spark on stage.  It's sad what they have become in this Dystopia live clip.  Stu simply is not the man for this job, and Troy needs to sell his guitars and never play again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1392 on: March 14, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
I was impressed with Troy at the start of the Dystopia tour. He actually practiced his parts for once. That being said, I hope he's the next to get fired. Then Stu.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: March 14, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
Come to think of it, I didn't mind some of his parts on the album too, he still had the same sloppy style, but there were some interesting things going on.

Yeah, come on Jon, it's about time someone got fired.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: March 14, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
So I just fell comfortably asleep at my keyboard but I woke up while Into Eternity was playing. The reason why this is important is because, every time I listen to Into Eternity, I remind myself of how amazing a vocalist Stu actually is. He's had some really cool moments on Dystopia, on the Dante's Inferno remake, and I've seen some really cool live clips of him nailing songs back in the earlier days of the Dystopia tour, but he's not as consistent as he should be, and not even the best he's done in Iced Earth can contend with one single song off Into Eternity's The Scattering Of Ashes. He's a great hybrid vocalist and it would be a shame if he stayed in a band which doesn't only not favor his stronger sides when clean-singing (listen to The Incurable Tragedy II and tell me it doesn't give you goosebumps), but also doesn't let him use growls, fry screams, and all other harsher vocal techniques he's mastered.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1395 on: March 14, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
This is all Pyramaze's fault!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: March 15, 2013, 05:06:58 AM »
This is all Pyramaze's fault!

Why?  Because of Barlow?  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1397 on: March 15, 2013, 05:17:59 AM »
Yeah, if they wouldn't have been embarrassed about Lance King's kid opening their set, Lance wouldn't have been offended and quit, and Matt wouldn't have joined and Jon wouldn't have heard about it to which he would call Matt asking him if he was "missing it" therefore sparking his return which in turn led to Ripper's firing, Barlow's fluke of a return, and Stu's joining.

So yep, this is all Pyramaz's fault.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: March 15, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »
Fair enough bro.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1399 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »
Of course, we wouldn't have Immortal, but SACRIFICES, SPIDER-MAN!