Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 125277 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Re: The Ask Cedar Redac Thread (page 32)
« Reply #1120 on: October 02, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
What's the story behind your user name and also its nearly palindromic form?

I come from Cedar City, Utah. I had to think of a username and that was the first thing to come to mind. As for why it is nearly palindromic: I actually didn't notice it until AMindBesideItself brought it up. You started a thread on my birthday and part of the original post is my current signature.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1121 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Oh, I remember all those details. I meant why'd you opt for a palindrome in the first place?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1122 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Oh, I remember all those details. I meant why'd you opt for a palindrome in the first place?

No idea to be honest, I guess I thought it wouldn't be taken, so I used it.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Ask Black_Floyd Thread (page 33)
« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
Black_Floyd is up this week!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
Oh goodie.

What's the secret behind your awesomeness?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:17 AM »
Tell us one thing about yourself that we probably don't know.

Also, partly to piss off Deb (though I am interested in the answer): if you could do your whole life again, would you change anything?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »

black_floyd.

Please tell us how it felt to watch the Saints win the Super Bowl.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1127 on: October 08, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
Who is the worst:  Yuk, Dum, Boo, or Bum?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1128 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
What's the secret behind your awesomeness?

To preface this answer, although the first thing I'm gonna mention is something I did, I in no way intend for this to sound like I'm taking credit for it as this is merely a chronological representation of a chain of events.

That established, I was a member of this community for 5 years before I ever posted a single pic of myself (typical internet paranoia of not wanting to connect my face with a forum account where I'd enjoyed the anonymity of being able to say things and confide info I wouldn't choose to had that anonymity not existed.)

That combined with the fact that I'd had hiatuses of 3 months, 9 months, and 9 months again plus had a postcount of only ~1500 before I posted that pic made me a very easy person to forget as is the case with many other decent people around here that have had a similar experience.

Around the time I posted that pic I'd also begun posting a bit more frequently so I guess folks started to have a clearer idea of a persona to associate with my user name with the combo of the pic as well as picking up on my off-kilter "say whatever and who gives a damn if people think I'm weird/nerdy/corny/etc." sense of humor.

The real factor in the so-called awesomeness was the way that members like Nem (obscure), Arj (lonestar), Jackie (Bout to Crash), Luke (FlyingBIZKIT), and Cup (Mastershakezula) started talking to me more and made me fully comfortable to be the same dude here that I am in real life.

Soon thereafter, a new batch of members like DebraKadabra, Scorpion, Elite, and others whom I'm certain I'm forgetting at the moment (sorry :( ) also became part of my little DTF family and I felt so accepted that I could comfortably post duckfaced, half nekkit pics of myself pointing a tube of hemorrhoid cream at my ass and feel as giddy as a 12 year old girl buying her first bra.

Tell us one thing about yourself that we probably don't know.

Also, partly to piss off Deb (though I am interested in the answer): if you could do your whole life again, would you change anything?

I haven't passed blood since September 24.

Definitely. I'd have gotten a job cooking in a small eatery as early as possible and focused all of my remaining professional energy on music and found the most sugarcoated way I could tell the people around me to "fuck off" and stop forcing college on me. Also, I'd have zipped my shorts up a bit more slowly and carefully on that summer day back in 1985. (lol commando)

black_floyd.

Please tell us how it felt to watch the Saints win the Super Bowl.

Bittersweet. Due to finances, I was stuck living in North Carolina at that time (as I unfortunately am again for now) with my parents whom moved here a year after Katrina so here's the greatest moment in my sports fan life occurring and I'm watching it with a Jerseyan who doesn't even like sports, a Pats fan, and my step pepper whom, despite literally being the greatest step pepper in the universe, has zero interest in sports.

It was truly a thrill anyway despite the sadness of not getting to see it with my crew and such a fun game that I almost enjoyed the Yuengling I was drinking (sorry Coz.) The moment when Tracy Porter got his game-clinching pick-6, I slid down my neighbor's carpeted staircase on my stomach like it was a water slide. I'll never forget that night though I'd love to pull some Quantum Leap witchcraft to go back in time and rewatch it with my 504 pals.

Who is the worst:  Yuk, Dum, Boo, or Bum?

Baseball is a very distant 3rd behind football (NFL, NCAA, and Arena) and basketball in my heart so unfortunately I'd be a fibbing Freddie if I even attempted to answer that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1129 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
How can I be sexy like you?

;)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »

;)

You can't. Nobody can be sexy like the _floyd.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
We both live in NC. In what city do you currently reside? (I'm in Chapel Hill)
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
You ever been naked in public?

Run someone over with a vehicle?

Been caught with your pants down?

Gotten into any major fights?

Finally, what was the most disappointing episode of a tv show you've ever seen? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1133 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
Alright my friend, what's your favorite beer and what dish do you like to pair with it?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1134 on: October 08, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

:heart

Soon thereafter, a new batch of members like DebraKadabra, Scorpion, Elite, and others whom I'm certain I'm forgetting at the moment (sorry :( ) also became part of my little DTF family and I felt so accepted that I could comfortably post duckfaced, half nekkit pics of myself pointing a tube of hemorrhoid cream at my ass and feel as giddy as a 12 year old girl buying her first bra.

You were one of the first ones besides Chad, The King and bosk to be friendly and welcoming when I first started posting.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a female who came into a well-established sausage fest, so... :laugh:

Okay, on to my question... which is actually one of Scrop's (turn-about is fair play, my friend :heart ):  Who do you believe has the best avatar/signature combo here on our favorite place to waste time and otherwise have a laugh or twenty in the process?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1135 on: October 08, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
Could you beat LHK in a battle of words?

Most surprising food concoction you've ever produced?

What are the merits of small family owned businesses?

What should I have for breakfast on Thursday?

Trim the hedges?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »
If you were given the chance to coach the Saints and/or LSU for a whole season, how would you whip them back into shape?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1137 on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:27 PM »
Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a female who came into a well-established sausage fest, so... :laugh:

Where are the sausages you speak of?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1138 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »

;)

Considering that you have a gf that I'd do things to that are illegal in 46 states if you weren't with her, I feel like I should be the one asking you this question. However, if you wanna be a classy dame like me, here are some quick pointers:

1) Be born to a mother whose father was bald. Male pattern baldness has given me a distinguished Kelsey Grammer-esque sixhead:

2) The ladies like gently subduing sapphire peepers:

You look swell in tinted spectacles though so this part isn't critical:

Furthermore, if you end up single and need to get back in the game, it won't take much effort to become this:

And then you can at least end up with this:

And get some of this:

Relax, it's a closeup of a mouth.

;)

You can't. Nobody can be sexy like the _floyd.

Clayton. A small rural town ~30 minutes from Raleigh masquerading as a burgeoning "suburb."

I'll likely still be living here close to another year before moving back to New Orleans. Once I have a car and a little cash saved up, I'd absolutely love to have a triangle meetup with you, The Outlaw Xanadu, Hefdaddy, senecadawg, and skydivingninja as well as any other NCers I may be overlooking.

You ever been naked in public?

Nah. The closest was having to briefly be naked when I lost a game of strip poker at a friend's house back in 2001.

Run someone over with a vehicle?

No, pedestrians are annoyingly quick these days :(

Been caught with your pants down?

I accidentally flashed my sister-in-law on a cold winter morning back in '99 while she was sitting right next to my brother. When me and my bro both still lived at home, all 3 of us used to huddle up on my bed and watch movies sometimes and I think we were about to on that day as well. She and I have always had a zany rapport with one another humorwise since she's like the sister I never had so I was jokingly doing a fake striptease thing as I was shimmying off my work pants so I could change into my shorts and I didn't realize that the mouse was out of the house.

Sadly enough for my bro, that's just tied for being his greatest moment of shame involving me and her. Back when we were watching Seven on that same bed all three of us were huddled up side by side and I'm lying on my stomach. I'd held in a fart for a good 20-30 minutes but then I was just tired of holding it in and there was some dramatic silence during that scene in the field near the end and I ripped one that sounded more like the fake ones they use for comic effect in TV/movies.

My sis-in-law's face ended up bright pink with uncontrollable laughter and her eyes welled up with tears as my brother looked thoroughly mortified since they'd only been together for like 6 months at the time although he was choking back a smirk as well since, let's be real, farts like those come up like once a year, tops.

Gotten into any major fights?

Nah. Ten years ago on my 21st birthday was the last time I even came close. Me and my pep pep were bowling and there were these three big (6'0'-ish, 220 lbs.-ish) meatheads bowling on the next lane. One of them is sitting in a way that couldn't do any better of a job blocking the entry to the pit area where the seats are. I'm feeling quite good by now thanks to traditional 21st b-day activities so I have to briefly place my hands on his shoulders to steady myself as I walk through the nanometer of space the douche had left us to squeeze by.

He looks at me and tells me to never put my hands on him in a smug way that only a wigger can. I nonchalantly say "sorry man" cuz I didn't give a fuck. He repeats himself. I repeat myself. He says it a third time. I ignore him and go on. Throughout my game I started to notice the three dudes and their cum dumpster gfs looking at me and my dad and obviously laughing and cracking jokes to themselves about us. By the 9th frame, I was annoyed enough that I'd broken a sweat, my face was red, and I took my bowling ball and raised it over my head with both hands and plunked it down very loudly onto the lane and looked at them as if I was ready to kill any of them.

They all got this very uncomfortable look on their faces as the dudes tried to feign laughter as a means of hiding their reluctance to back up their tough guy front despite being bigger, taller, and younger than me and my pep pep and they also had 3 of them versus the 2 of us. My dad then went up for his shot and one of the dudes on the other lane had just bowled a strike and was doing a celebration dance. My dad mistook this for being a deliberate attempt to distract him from his shot and got in the dude's face and said "Look motherfucker, if you've got a beef we can settle this shit right here" as he struggled to even be that tactful.

I got right next to my dad to make sure they didn't rush him and we eyed down the three of them as they once again tried to diffuse the situation with feigned looks of amusement while poorly hiding the same look someone on the verge of jailhouse rape has in their eyes. The fact that they tried to fuck with us for no reason and eventually got their nuts clipped right in front of their gfs even with every conceivable advantage was hilarious.

Finally, what was the most disappointing episode of a tv show you've ever seen?

Seinfeld series finale. No other show even comes remotely close for me.

Alright my friend, what's your favorite beer and what dish do you like to pair with it?

Totally my kind of question :tup

I tried no less than 70 new beers in the first 6-7 months I moved back up to NC so it's a bit hard to narrow it down.

Some highlights have definitely been:

Great Divide Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti

Breckenridge Small Batch 471

Ranger IPA

I've almost completely eliminated pairing beer and food though. I tried it for years but eventually decided I enjoy a good meal best when I wash it down with coke or juice since the sweet/savory back-and-forth tastes much better to me than beer and food. Also, I like beer much better when I taste all of it which doesn't quite happen for me if its flavor is fighting for space on my palate against a rich food dish.

That said, back when I did do the beer/food thing, my favorite was pan searing thick shark steaks by first marinating them in McCormick's lemon pepper Flavor Medleys marinade for 20-30 minutes and then pan searing them in a pan on high heat for ten minutes, flipping every two minutes, and finishing it by placing them into an inch deep oven-safe metal pan with all of the marinade that was left in the bowl it was previously marinating in, covering that pan with foil, venting that foil with several pokings of a fork, and then letting it steam in a preheated oven at broil temperature for ~20 minutes. Very juicy and dee-lish.

I'd pair it with 9% abv Chimay Grande Reserve:

Okay, on to my question... which is actually one of Scrop's (turn-about is fair play, my friend :heart ):  Who do you believe has the best avatar/signature combo here on our favorite place to waste time and otherwise have a laugh or twenty in the process?

Strangely enough for as much time as I spend here, I don't subconsciously pick up on sigs that much so I sctually just had to spend 20 minutes trying to find a sig I could count as my favorite but nothing really stuck out head-and-shoulders above the rest. As for avatars, I'm partial to Fuzzboy:

Could you beat LHK in a battle of words?

Probably not. I use some pretty words but I think the strength of my posting style is a combo of eccentric deadpan humor coupled with genuine relatability peppered with some verbalingus. LeeHarveyKennedy, on the other hand, has had a longstanding reputation of being DTF royalty when it comes to his ability to wow the masses with his wit and vernacular and is likely only paralleled by RobWebster in that regard.

I was however flattered that he (I think) was the first person to ever sig me when there was some discussion that involved a hypothetical scenario where someone owed $5000 to someone else but the debtor had been treated like a dick or something like that so I made a post along the lines of "I'd walk right over to the guy's house with the $5000 in hand, hold it out for him to see, then immediately drop trou, shit on his front lawn and proceed to wipe my ass with said $5000. I dunno, maybe I was just raised in a better family than you."

Most surprising food concoction you've ever produced?

That's a tough call. I can't quite recall making anything absurd but I'd say the most surprising was when I spent 5 hours making a vegetable medley that ended up as good as most meat dishes I've ever made.

I started by caramelizing a 3 lb. bag of yellow onions by slivering them and cooking them down in butter until deep brown and candy sweet. I then added slivered red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers and stewed them with the onions until thoroughly softened. While this was going on, I oven-roasted baby asparagus with parmesan, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until crisp and nutty in flavor. Then, I oven roasted zucchini with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Finally, I combined all of these and stewed it together over slightly higher than medium heat for 20 minutes so all the flavors married.

It stood toe-to-toe with the breaded eggplant topped with hollandaise and chicken in chardonnay and cremini sauce I'd made to go with it.

What are the merits of small family owned businesses?

I see you've been reading my threads. The ones I've worked in have been very nepotistic and generally operate with the mentality of "We don't have enough of our own family willing to work here so we'll bring in just enough outsiders to get by and make them the first in line to get their hours cut whenever business stagnates regardless of performance and we'll also place a glass ceiling on the career paths of any non-family personnel since all of the perks and benefits are reserved for those whom share a surname with the owners."

I know SystematicThought's family operates a store that he's rightfully proud of and I realize that clearly not all mom-n-pops are run like that but, speaking solely from my own experiences, that has been the case.

What should I have for breakfast on Thursday?

Onion bagel with cream cheese and smoked lox.

Trim the hedges?

Scorched earth, homie.

If you were given the chance to coach the Saints and/or LSU for a whole season, how would you whip them back into shape?

Saints:

Spend a solid hour with the defense working on tackling every practice day. Offer the backup D-linemen starting positions if any of them can run a faster 40 than who ever is our current "fastest" D-linemen. Give the WRs a chance to get out of the next day's practice two hours early for any of them that make it through the entire practice without a single dropped pass. Braid Thomas Morstead's hair.

LSU:

Force Zach Mettenberger to realize he's fucking 6'5" and that it's inexcusable to be impotent at passing over the middle when you're that tall. For the first half of practice each day, he's not allowed to pass to anyone outside the hash marks. Players will have to run a half mile for every fumble in practice. The defense has done their job aside from getting owned on the ground by Florida but that was all the offense's fault for making the D play easily an extra half-game worth of snaps due to how quickly they punted the ball seemingly every time they got it.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a female who came into a well-established sausage fest, so... :laugh:

Slice these into pieces a little thicker than 1/4 inch at an angle that'll make them about 1 1/2 inches long, brown 'em over medium heat, and then mix them with the caramelized onion and bell pepper mixture part of the vegetable medley I mentioned above, stew all of this together for 20 minutes, and be prepared to have a cigarette handy for when you're done (you'll need it.)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1139 on: October 09, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »

[Anthrax]No, man, it's DICK![/Anthrax] :lol ;)

Should I ever venture to Nawlins one of these days, what would your suggestions be regarding eating establishments?  Any other cool non-touristy places I should check too?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1140 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »
I just woke up way past the time I should have. What's my breakfast going to be?
You have been given a ticket to the place you want to visit the most, what is the destination?
Tell me about how you got into the music you're in now.
Does the underscore really make a difference or could it have been a period, a minus sign or simply a space?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1141 on: October 09, 2012, 05:45:47 AM »
Floyd, you seem like a cool dude....I guess my question's simple: what are the simple things in life that make you happy?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1142 on: October 09, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »
Great Divide makes some outstaning beers my friend.  i often get them for tailgating.  Great when we are having fish chowder. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1143 on: October 09, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »
I just woke up way past the time I should have. What's my breakfast going to be?

Frosted Flakes. They're GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

You have been given a ticket to the place you want to visit the most, what is the destination?

Sweden, home of Opeth, Arch Enemy, and delightful fair-skinned beauties.

Tell me about how you got into the music you're in now.

My cousin Jimi tried, in vain, to get me into DT with Metropolis when I was a 14 year old grunge fanatic in '95 by showing me the JM bass solo and also wanted me to help him figure out if the harmony section a little before it was a guitar or a keyboard (we obviously know it's both now.) 4 years later in '99, he tried again but used Pull Me Under and it clicked well.

I also met my friend Ross that year and he really reinforced the DT love by loaning me the Live in Tokyo VHS (still have it...oops!  :blush ) and it was the first I'd ever heard of Ytse Jam and the solo extravaganza of keyboard>guitar>bass>drums rocked my socks off. Also, Under a Glass Moon and A Fortune in Lies made a big impact. Something was very exciting about the extended tap legato runs JP did in YJ and AFiL.

After that, Ross showed me Symphony X which took even quicker and to a greater extent than DT had and I was well on my way to liking pimplecore. For Christmas 2000, he gave me possibly the greatest gift I've ever gotten by giving me a CD wallet with CD-Rs for Spiral Architect, Planet X, Rhapsody, Fates Warning, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian and a few others I can't recall right now (12 in all.) Those bands formed the foundation for my next 5 years of listening.

He also hit a 3-run homer by giving me Dysrhythmia's No Interference, Psychotic Waltz's A Social Grace, and Cynic's Focus on a later occasion. Shamefully he seldom listens to this style anymore because I literally used to not even bother looking for new music because he'd always have cool new shit ready every month.

Since that early burst of prog/tech/power metal, I've leaned a tad more toward intelligent heavy shit like Opeth, Byzantine, Mastodon, Arch Enemy, Nevermore, and many others whom are ridiculed by both the meathead and prog nerd crowds alike for either being too pussy or too roary (Nevermore aside.) Also, Gordian Knot is amazing though nothing like the bands I just mentioned...I just didn't wanna forget to mention them during this painfully-long answer.

Does the underscore really make a difference or could it have been a period, a minus sign or simply a space?

Coulda been a period, a minus sign woulda been an insult, and spaces are soooo last season.

I chose the underscore because in 2006 I was fairly late to the game as far as using screen names and such since I'd never even kept one for more than a few months at that point in time so it was just some phony means of assimilating in an attempt to blend in and hide my noobness until I got the hang of things.

I'm just glad I didn't also opt for superfluous numbers at the end of my name. I understand if the numbers mean something to you or you got stuck with it because you were the 47214th person on AOL with the screen name "Bob" but I'd have been annoyed with myself if I'd thrown the numbers on simply for the fuck of it. Heck, the underscore could've been an annoyance as well but it's some how worked out as a slight quirk of my persona and the way folks refer to me around here so it's all good.

Floyd, you seem like a cool dude....I guess my question's simple: what are the simple things in life that make you happy?

Thank you!

Music, both playing and listening to it. Guitar is definitely the one thing I hold most dear to me as far as creative expression goes and I love how all you need is your ears, a guitar, and the ability to play by ear, and then you can always have a way to learn new songs and further yourself as a player as well as expand your repertoire of material (even if it is someone else's song.)

I also became extremely comfortable on bass after spending a year playing in a classic rock cover band back home in the New Orleans area. My next wish is to become comfortable on keyboard beyond merely playing Take on Me's main lick and the Super Mario Bros. underground theme.

I also love sports, cooking, and craft beer as I have around 500 different bottles saved in my collection as of now (wish they were still full.)

Also, I'm glad this post didn't sully your opinion of me.

Great Divide makes some outstaning beers my friend.  i often get them for tailgating.  Great when we are having fish chowder. 

Indeed. That Yeti was a whole new level of awesome when I tried it. Can't wait to get it again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:20:23 AM by black_floyd »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1144 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:30 AM »

Thank you!

Music, both playing and listening to it. Guitar is definitely the one thing I hold most dear to me as far as creative expression goes and I love how all you need is your ears, a guitar, and the ability to play by ear, and then you can always have a way to learn new songs and further yourself as a player as well as expand your repertoire of material (even if it is someone else's song.)

I also became extremely comfortable on bass after spending a year playing in a classic rock cover band back home in the New Orleans area. My next wish is to become comfortable on keyboard beyond merely playing Take on Me's main lick and the Super Mario Bros. underground theme.

I also love sports, cooking, and craft beer as I have around 500 different bottles saved in my collection as of now (wish they were still full.)

Also, I'm glad this post didn't sully your opinion of me.
[/quote]

Naw, man....mullets were HOT that summer! (except on me, I guess)  :-[ Great, music's always has been a passion of mine. I'm a singer/vocalist/whatever ya wanna call it in a classic rock coverband myself and am a selftaught 'drummer' (embarrassed to call myself that, actually) having played drums in a 'punkish' rockband for 10 years.

String instruments I have tried, but never could grasp in my uh...grasp... I guess. So the '900 bottles of beer on the wall' applies to you huh?  :coolio
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1145 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
I wanted to have 1000 bottles by age 30 but, nearly 2 years after that, money isn't always around for that. Also, I tend to run through each new grocery store's beer cooler in less than 3 months and then have to start going to specialty shops if I wanna find any new beers and $3 a bottle gets to be out of hand when you're also trying to make sure you have adequate suds for a week or two.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1146 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
I know you'd rather be in Louisiana, but what is your favorite thing about North Carolina (other than all the other awesome DTFers who live there)?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1147 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Are you going to answer my last question
Should I ever venture to Nawlins one of these days, what would your suggestions be regarding eating establishments?  Any other cool non-touristy places I should check too?

or will it be alone (forever alone) in cyberspace for perpetuity? :'(

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1148 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Are you going to answer my last question

or will it be alone (forever alone) in cyberspace for perpetuity? :'(

Can't answer it til I find out what the name of this sandwich shop is. I used to have a go-to but their quality has waned and I'm putting all suggestions into a single post.

I know you'd rather be in Louisiana, but what is your favorite thing about North Carolina (other than all the other awesome DTFers who live there)?

The specialty beer shops out here have some impressive selections. I think the eastern seaboard just seems to have a very avid craft beer scene. Outside of that, I don't really know much about the area because I'm such a city boy that I haven't really seen any activities out here that interest me so I'd likely revert to traditional night life if I tried to have any fun out here and I don't like the idea of >15-mile drives along winding, undulating roads rife with blind turns at night after hitting a bar so I literally have no life out here.

Also, that's partly planned since I don't wanna fall into a habit of blowing money on going out while I'm here because I really wanna expedite my return to living the life I love and have been missing back home. I don't think it's terrible out here but it just ain't for me since I'm living at home at 31 with no car for the time being so it's a bit different from having the more outgoing experience of having your own place and being able to more easily play the field, have friends over whenever, etc.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

Clayton. A small rural town ~30 minutes from Raleigh masquerading as a burgeoning "suburb."

I'll likely still be living here close to another year before moving back to New Orleans. Once I have a car and a little cash saved up, I'd absolutely love to have a triangle meetup with you, The Outlaw Xanadu, Hefdaddy, senecadawg, and skydivingninja as well as any other NCers I may be overlooking.

That would be rad. I'm totally down for that.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1150 on: October 09, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
Hope you're good at cornholing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1151 on: October 09, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
Why have you not taken Deb as your mate yet?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »
I wouldn't say good, but I can hold my own.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1153 on: October 09, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Why have you not taken Deb as your mate yet?

I thought I'd made it clear that I'm mad queer for you by now.

I wouldn't say good, but I can hold my own.

My sodomy joke missed the mark. I don't actually play that game at all.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
Oh now I get it.  :lol
Nice.