Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 125267 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Ask Windmaster Thread (page 25)
« Reply #875 on: August 06, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
How does one become Master of the Wind?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #876 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
When I first saw a pic of you, I thought that you were numbers. How do you feel about that?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #877 on: August 06, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
Are you the master of breaking wind?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
How does one become Master of the Wind?
It is a long and rigorous training process, filled with many challenges and obstacles. Obviously, I am the one true master of the wind. Everyone else is an impostor.
When I first saw a pic of you, I thought that you were numbers. How do you feel about that?
The hell is numbers?
Are you the master of breaking wind?
I am master of all types of wind.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #879 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
The hell is numbers?

A guy that has been banned (I think). He went by 73109, but nobody called him that. Can be seen here.

Also, my standard question: who has, in your opinion the coolest avatar/username/sig on the forum?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »
Ah, yeah. Ok.

I already answered the sig/avatar/username question on the previous page.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #881 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
:lolpalm: I should be a little more careful.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #882 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
By what method do you favour the propulsion of small stones?
When it rains, do you use your mastery of the wind to cause the falling liquid to form interesting flow patterns?
What is your favourite type of air molecule?
When did you last drink gin?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »
By what method do you favour the propulsion of small stones?
When it rains, do you use your mastery of the wind to cause the falling liquid to form interesting flow patterns?
What is your favourite type of air molecule?
When did you last drink gin?
1. I like to throw them? I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.  :lol
2. Indeed I do. Some of the patterns are very... Interesting. :eyebrows:
3. NO
4. Never. I'm underage, and don't have a way to get ahold of any.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #884 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
Nitrogen monoxide. Nice choice.

Also: What was the maximum size that the cloud could have been?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: August 07, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »
Obviously 42 elephants.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #886 on: August 08, 2012, 03:34:55 AM »
so not: the size of a man's hand?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
Nope.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
So, ultimate Trick frisbee thrower/catcher, or frisbee golf?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04:34 PM »
Ultimate frisbee, the sport. Sometimes I play frisbee golf, but not seriously.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Ask Elite Thread (page 26)
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
Up this week, Elite!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »
Let them come!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #892 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
You get to have dinner with 3 people, alive or dead. Who do you choose, and why?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #893 on: August 15, 2012, 04:05:31 AM »
Damn, that is one difficult question..

And I'm sorry for answering this late. I'm having a ridiculously busy week, but since this is the only question I've had so far, I'll try my best to answer it anyway.

Let me think about this one a bit, I think one of my choices would be John Petrucci, because as a guitarist he has been my main inspiration for years and I would love to be able to talk to him about all random stuff and about his guitar playing. Maybe he could even teach me some stuff after the dinner. Yeah, Petrucci is one of my choices.

The next one would be Steven Wilson, also known as the most overrated musician on DTF. A couple of years ago, the thing I wanted most was meet him, back when I was really into Porcupine Tree. He seems like a very nice guy and I'd like to talk to him about his songwriting stuff and his life as an ever-evolving musician.

Last at the table I would invite Daniel Gildenlöw, because over the past years, my love for Pain of Salvation's music has grown a lot and he is currently my favourite live performer.

Yeah, they're rather 'boring' choices, in the sense that all three of them are musicians and guitarists at that, but at the point I'm currently in in my life, I think this is what I would like the most. Upon reading this question I thought of inviting people that have contradicting opinions, so I could witness a debate at the table, but being the selfish ass that I am, I figured I'd want to just have the three people I want to meet the most.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #894 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
Sounds like quite the dinner!!! They didn't HAVE to be 3 musicians, but I know I myself would have trouble deny any of those 3.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #895 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
Give us a defining moment of your life.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #896 on: August 15, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
Alright, I'll give two, because I believe both are equally important. One is music related, again, while the other not so much.

1. Picking up a guitar and learning to play it.
This one may come across as weird for a pick of a 'defining moment', but it really has been. Before I played the guitar I was a member of a musical society that trained children's bands. I was in a band there from 9-10 years old onwards playing the saxophone in a band with other people my age and we were coached by elders, like many other bands consisting of children.  I was never too serious with music and liked going there, but basically I never really practiced (to be fair, I could play the saxophone quite well, at least well enough to improvise random stuff in all of our songs and I was musically 'talented', however much I hate to use that term), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. When I was 15 years old I was still in a band there, but I found a guitar in our attic. I went to a shop, bought new strings, a guitar pick and found a beginner's book and starting teaching myself.

My interest in music went through the roof. I discovered music that I liked and I played for 5-6 hours a day. From 'not really that interested in music' I became an addict, searching new music, developing my own taste and learning the guitar, music theory, rhythm and all that. Before I started playing the guitar, I thought I wanted to study Biology when I finished high school, but I was determined to go to a conservatory with my guitar, all to my dad's enormous disagreement. At my music society I became a band coach as well when I was 17, teaching other children to play in a band, as I was taught there. In the end I didn't end up at a conservatory, I'm a musicology student now, but I still play the guitar a lot and I play in different bands as well. I'm not a member of the society I grew up with, because I moved to attend my university, but I owe the people there, but mostly my picking up the guitar for my music taste, my musical abilities and most of my adolescence so far.

2. Moving to another city to attend university
Ah, yes. The classic. Child becomes a grown-up. Well, indeed. Moving out of home was probably one of the best choices I've ever made. I learned to take care and look after myself, to live with other students in the same house, I got a goal in life (study) and I've made lots of good friends. I'm currently at the start of another landmark, as I will become the next treasurer of my study association and I'm a pretty good student so far, doing well both in and out of university. I'm very happy at this point in my life and as far as I can see, things will only get better.

---

That was longer than I thought it would be, I hope it wasn't a boring read :)
Squ

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #897 on: August 15, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
Not long at all and a nice read too.

Back on topic, where'd you get that avatar?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #898 on: August 16, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
I used to have this picture of a road sign for the French city 'Y', crossed out, basically this:

I found it funny for two reasons; 1. a town name consisting of only one letter (there's actually more of those) and 2. because when pronounced it's like the question 'Why?', but crossed out. Since I believe that not everything needs or has an explanation I found it fitting for a forum avatar.

Then Christmas came and I wanted to change the road sign to wear a Christmas hat. I did this, but for some reason I couldn't re-upload my avatar again. There was some cool dude on these forums that suggested me my current avatar instead. I liked it and took it. I can recall him saying he 'cracked up' after noticing the avatar in some thread. To be honest, I have no idea where the pic came from, but I like it regardless.
Squ

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #899 on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »
I asked this of Zant, but I'll go ahead and ask you too:

Is there anything that's happened to you that, given the chance, you would redo/do differently?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #900 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
I asked this of Zant, but I'll go ahead and ask you too:

Is there anything that's happened to you that, given the chance, you would redo/do differently?

This is a great question which I can't seem to find a fit answer for. There's lots of stuff in life where I thought afterwards that I should have done differently, but none as huge that make me want to change them. I believe that everything happens and when it's done things are done. There's no point in changing stuff, because you learn from every single thing you do and some in a very hard way. SOme things that come to mind though are the following;

In high school I was tricked into betraying a couple of dudes from my class for stealing an exam before making it, so they knew all the answers beforehand. Someone found out and at the time I didn't realise what I had done, until people started hating me afterward. It made for some unpleasant weeks at school.

Another thing that I just thought of was to be more open. I was a very closed person during the first couple of years in high school due to lack of friends, bullying and other nasty stuff. I didn't say a lot, I played videogames at home, never really invited friends and never really let my feelings show to anyone. I was shy, nervous, anxious and always scared of what would people think of me. That all changed, half way through high school, when I met my group of friends that I still hang out with when I'm back out in my hometown. Sometimes I just wish I'd have done that earlier, be more open, be more of myself and not be some shy little mouse. It basically took 2-3 years of my life to really find a place in my school and I have come to regret that, though I wouldn't really know how to change that, should I be given the chance.

Basically, both these examples helped me get where I am now, so in that sense, I'm not ashamed of them in any way. Just, maybe things would be different, but then again, I'm happy with my life as it is now, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for asking :)
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #901 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
Who are your 5 favorite Dutch musicians?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #902 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
Dammit.. I don't even think I can name 5 Dutch musicians without either naming people nobody knows (friends/teachers/people I know in unknown bands) or people I loathe. Nah, that's pushing it, let's try;

Arjen Anthony Lucassen; duh.
Jan Akkerman; the guitarist of Dutch band Focus and kind of a Dutch legend in his own regard.
Anneke van Giersbergen; people here will know her mostly for her role on Devin Townsend's 'Addicted!', but she's been in the progressive rock band The Gathering and has her own projects as well.
Mark Jansen; guitarist and founder of Epica and later the band MaYan as well.
Stochelo Rosenberg; world-famous gypsy-jazz guitarist

Probably this, though there's still some I haven't named (for some reason The Netherlands have had quite an array of your symphonic metal bands, with Epica, After Forever and Within Temptation and lots more). There's guitarist Marcel Coenen, known for his work in the band Sun Caged and probably a lot more I'm not even thinking about right now.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #903 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
I was curious to see if you would mention The Gathering, as I just got a couple of their albums! She's got a great voice  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #904 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
She does indeed! :)
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #905 on: August 19, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
What else's has Anneke done? I recognize the name. Ian Parry's Consortium Project?  Did Arjen use her at all?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #906 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
What else's has Anneke done? I recognize the name. Ian Parry's Consortium Project?  Did Arjen use her at all?

I think he did, in the Electric Castle

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #907 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
Yes, she's on Into the Electric Castle and 01011001.
To be honest I don't know everything she's done, but wikipedia gives quite a list in her biography.
Squ

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #908 on: August 20, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
It's my turn...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Ask Splent Thread (page 26)
« Reply #909 on: August 20, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
Shit, I think I need to put a weekly reminder on my Outlook calendar.