Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 169010 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« on: October 03, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
Old thread here:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42202.7210

To start: Crusader Kings III is good fun.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
Call of Duty Season 6 started this week, I've been away so finally time to see if there's anything different... as soon as my game loads I see a message saying someone I reported has been banned  :metal :metal hackers piss me off so much

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
If I can make it work, I'll soon start playing Deadly Premonition :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
When I got an e-mail stating the thread was locked, I got worried that some kind of fight broke out in the old thread. *Herrick breathes a sigh of relief*

No Man's Sky: I installed it once again and it does look very good. It looks like they gave weapons a slightly better feel.

I got tired of NMS after the last big update when I played through the Artemis story for the first time. I was so disappointed with that ending (well the whole story actually) so I stopped playing. I've never even done the Center of the Universe quest or whatever it's called. I might try that this time.

I am enjoying this game more this time around. I'm not sure why. I'd like to skip the base building stuff as I've never been interested in it. I really disliked having to power up the base. However, I would like to have a base on a freighter. Anyone know how far into the base building quest I have to go before I can start making a base on a freighter?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online frogprog

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »
I'm surprised there is no mention of Crash Bandicoot It's About Time. I received it yesterday and had a blast playing it last night. There is nothing easy about it! Tons of really cool features and KILLER graphics. It's like having a 2020 update for an old friend!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
2nd that about the new Crash game. Its very well done

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:48:15 PM »
As a reply to the last thread, I will look into Fables, thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised there is no mention of Crash Bandicoot It's About Time. I received it yesterday and had a blast playing it last night. There is nothing easy about it! Tons of really cool features and KILLER graphics. It's like having a 2020 update for an old friend!!

Haven't finished trilogy yet, but I will check it out in the future for sure. And yeah, it looks amazing. Cool to see cartoony titles with actual AAA graphics, outside of Ratchet and Clank and Kingdom Hearts.

Recently finished it for the first time. Really bad first impression, but soon I got captivated and it is most certainly a very memorable experience. Loved it.

As advice I would reeeeally stay clear of side quest googling, as some characters are so linked to the case, you will be spoiled very easily. Happened to me, thankfully the game turned out to have a lot more surprises at the end.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
Old thread here:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42202.7210

To start: Crusader Kings III is good fun.

I tried so hard to get into CKII it was just too dense for me, I am curious to try CKIII sometime.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »
Hades has taken up most of my gaming time of late, and I can't say enough great things about it, so this review will have to suffice:

https://youtu.be/xxsPPN6j6ps

I'm playing on the Switch @60fps (most of the time), but it's also available on PC. Have to say this is pretty much the only rogue-like that has really captivated me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
Still having a blast playing the No man's Sky update.  Just got the notification about NFS: Hot Pursuit Remaster coming 11/6.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »
After the new PC build, reinstalled GTA V and Tomb Raider (2013).

I'm way behind on my games and I think those games are the latest I have in my 300+ Steam/Origin/Epic Games library

It's nice that cloud saves are a thing now, back in my day you had to copy your savegames if you were thinking of reinstalling windows or getting a new build.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Still having a blast playing the No man's Sky update.  Just got the notification about NFS: Hot Pursuit Remaster coming 11/6.  :2metal:

I saw that and thought it was a remaster of the 90's game but it's the 2010 game they are remastering. A little bummed about that but I'll still check it out.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 08:43:41 AM »
I tried so hard to get into CKII it was just too dense for me, I am curious to try CKIII sometime.

I haven't played any of the other paradox games, but I found CKIII to lead you in quite well. There's tonnes of UI elements and tooltips that explain all of the concepts.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 10:21:11 AM »
Cool video from Sony showing all the parts inside the PS5 (turn on subtitles if like me you obviously don't know Japanese)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w

edit: it's a little beefier than I expected because I'm only used to the PS4 slim

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
*double post, nevermind*

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

I saw that and thought it was a remaster of the 90's game but it's the 2010 game they are remastering. A little bummed about that but I'll still check it out.

I have the original but I never owned a PS3, so I'm not sure how that turned out but will find out soon enough.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »

Recently finished it for the first time. Really bad first impression, but soon I got captivated and it is most certainly a very memorable experience. Loved it.

As advice I would reeeeally stay clear of side quest googling, as some characters are so linked to the case, you will be spoiled very easily. Happened to me, thankfully the game turned out to have a lot more surprises at the end.
Yeah don't worry, I'll play everything quite blind, am really looking forward to it :metal

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 05:56:22 AM »
I finished Xenoblade 2 just recently. That's one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
I finished Xenoblade 2 just recently. That's one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Have you played Xenoblade 1 and if so, which do you like better?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
I'm playing through Red Dead Redemption 2 again as I await Cyberpunk 2077 next month. RDR2 is such a masterpiece... I don't think it's perfect because I find some aspects of the gameplay to be clunky (IMO), but the characters, the narrative, and the world are all incredible. Perhaps most importantly, I think that RDR2 is the perfect example of how to do a prequel. The whole of RDR2 and Red Dead Redemption 1 is greater than the sum of its parts, which is saying something because the parts are phenomenal in their own rights!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »
Xenoblade 2 is absolutely incredible... after the halfway point imo.

RDR2 is an absolute masterclass in cinematic video game art.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
Started playing Ghost of Tsushima, about an hour in and I'm loving the style of the game so far.

I'm curious for you DTF gamers, how many games do you play simultaneously? I typically have 5 in rotation to satisfy my ADD, usually 3-4 single player game and 1-2 multiplayer games.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 03:32:42 PM »
Started playing Ghost of Tsushima, about an hour in and I'm loving the style of the game so far.

I'm curious for you DTF gamers, how many games do you play simultaneously? I typically have 5 in rotation to satisfy my ADD, usually 3-4 single player game and 1-2 multiplayer games.
In my current rotation I have Path of Exile, Elite Dangerous, Crusader Kings 3, No Man's Sky, and Microsoft Flight Simulator.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »

I'm too obsessive, usually one or two.  I can't believe how I haven't played many games since Warzone came out.... obsessed or maybe addicted is a better term.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »
Usually 2, one long term, and one short game after the other. Like now I'm playing Fallout New Vegas and have played plenty of small indie stuff alongside it.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElthBnApfZ4
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 05:23:44 PM »
I've tried sticking to one or two but sometimes I just don't feel like those games so I'll have a bunch of options open. Currently I'm playing:

Ghost of Tsushima
Control (almost done)
Super Mario Odyssey
Smite (usually a round or two a night)
Among Us (If we can get a group together, I don't like pub games)
Flight Simulator (i'm not really playing it, I usually have it on auto pilot while working, kind of like a screensaver)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
I usually play 2 to 3 games unless I'm really into one of them.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 12:33:43 AM »
Just one or two at a time for me, one on playstation and one on PC. I won't start a new one on each platform until I've either finished or given up on the current one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 01:15:12 AM »

I have, and I like 1 better than 2. Xenoblade 1 is my favorite video game of all time, and I think Xenoblade 2 is probably within my Top 10 favorite video games of all time.

Online krands85

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 05:25:44 AM »

Almost always just 1 at a time for me. The exception would be if I had something more casual like a sports or racing game - that I can just dip in and out of - to go alongside the main single player game I'm playing. Though it's been ages since I even did that. For years I played Pro Evolution Soccer, but I haven't liked the last 3 entries in that series.

I've been using a game rental service for around the last 18 months, which suits my 1 at a time style. That allowed me to try out some games I might not otherwise have played as well.

Ghost of Tsushima is great, though it took me a while to get to grips with all the different controls. The loading times are incredible and are a part of what is tempting me into getting a Seriees S, where all games should load as quickly or even quicker than GoT.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 05:28:56 AM »
I usually play 2 to 3 games unless I'm really into one of them.
More often than not I have two games going, a single player game and a repeatable online multiplayer game. At the moment they are...

Rocket League: I decided to give it a go since it's free now. I like the game but the matchmaking seems awful, even in ranked as bronze it keeps putting me up against full teams of highly experienced players. Even when it doesn't, there's definitely people in the games that shouldn't be. So far the unranked queue has been better although it's still unbalanced. Not really playing this much though, just a few games every two or three days. Honestly already kind of over it and might look for something else.

Cosmic Star Heroine: An indie turn-based RPG in the style of SNES games like Chrono Trigger. I don't know how far into the game I am (8 hours so far) but so far I feel like a thief having only paid $3.59 AUD for this game because it's actually quite good? There's some minor bugs and the UI could do with improvements in some places, and the story and characters are fairly generic thus far; but then the art style is great, the music is fantastic (already bought the OST), and it's got a lot of originality in its battle system.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 05:41:27 AM »
Depends for me. If I'm really obsessed with something, like RDR2, I go balls deep in it and play it exclusively. If it's a platformer or puzzle game I'll usually juggle 2-4 at a time especially if they're games I've played a lot already. So for the last week I haven't had much time to play so when I've had a few minutes I'll play Lumines, N++, and Hyrule Warriors on my Switch.

But I'm on vacation this week so the Halo games and Flight Simulator are on the agenda now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online DTA

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
Anyone play Magic: The Gathering?

I haven't played actual paper magic in years but I've been using Magic Arena to scratch the itch.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
Anyone play Magic: The Gathering?

I haven't played actual paper magic in years but I've been using Magic Arena to scratch the itch.
I've been playing Magic: The Gathering Online off and on for about 10 years now. I tried Arena, but it's too limited.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar