Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 62024 times)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
I notice you didn't mention The Willing Well III. In hindsight this song may not be the best to send to introduce someone to the band. It's self indulgent on my part as I love it. You may appreciate it more in the context of the album (which is album I suggest you start with) and also once you understand the concept of the record. By the way do you know anything about the concept to their albums?
I thought The Willing Well III was very good, and personally, I think it'd be a great way to introduce someone to Coheed and Cambria. I just tend to discuss the songs I have a lot to say about, and in TWWIII:AII:TTT's case, there wasn't much I had to say about it.
Regarding the concept, I know most of their albums are concept albums that relate to this book series called Amory Wars. That being said, I don't know much about the actual story for any of the albums.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sent, but almost entirely sure I'll be cockblocked. Or be the cockblocker?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I find it bizarre you reference aimless ambience in GLS... what the heck is the last 4 minutes of P&P!?!?!   :lol  I mean, I literally cut the song off at the 10 minute mark in my library.

Wow. I think the last 4 minutes where Anette sings "Be still, my son, you're home" is the best thing on the album.

Revenge, good to see you liked Beyond the Bridge! You should definitely listen to the whole album when you have time, there's so many callbacks to other songs. I included the opener and the closer because of how they shared a few musical themes, and there are many more moments on the album like that.

Herbie (the singer) is a little aggressive, yeah, but I like his performance here so much that it doesn't bother me at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Revenge319

Revenge, good to see you liked Beyond the Bridge! You should definitely listen to the whole album when you have time, there's so many callbacks to other songs. I included the opener and the closer because of how they shared a few musical themes, and there are many more moments on the album like that.

Herbie (the singer) is a little aggressive, yeah, but I like his performance here so much that it doesn't bother me at all.

I definitely want to check out that album at some point. I can imagine the songs are even better in context of the full album!

Offline Revenge319

I have finally finished scoring every submission! Results 3/3 will be here soon, I just gotta make the reviews now.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent for Round 2!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I thought Towerblock might not score as well but I wanted to send at least 1 song from each of their albums. Milliontown is still my favorite and I encourage you to check it out, especially the title song which is one of my favorite prog epics. It is a shame that the vocals don't do it for you but well, I know how that is.

I'll send for round two shortly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Revenge319

Doing these final writeups took way longer than it should have... But now that I'm finished, I present the final third of the results.

Lethean
Katatonia

First impression: Not bad, but so far there's not much I really find interesting.

Final review: I’ll admit that of all the artists in this round, Katatonia is probably near the bottom of my rankings. That being said, they have grown on me since my initial impression. I think the main thing I like about this band is the aesthetic it goes for. It’s a very dark and moody kind of metal, yet it also feels mature, if that makes sense. The only real issue here, then, is that most of it isn’t particularly memorable. While that’s not an inherently bad thing, I just found it hard for anything to really stick with me. The one memorable song, and also my favorite, is “Evidence”. It’s a pretty enjoyable song, with the highlight being the last minute and a half, with the “I’m the evidence…” verse being continually repeated until the end of the song. I do wish the fadeout started closer to the end, though. I liked the songs I was sent, there just wasn’t much outside of Evidence that really stuck with me.

Forsaker - 7.75/10
Lacquer - 7.25/10
Evidence - 8/10
Lethean (the song, not the DTF user) - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.7

---------------------------

jingle.boy
Led Zeppelin

First impression: Overall, I'm not quite sure what to think of this one yet.

Final review: This writeup might be a bit lacking, and if it feels that way, that would be because I’ve listened to these songs the least out of all my Round 1 submissions. That’s not because I disliked any of the songs, I just happened to not listen to this submission much. But despite that, I can say that Led Zeppelin is quite alright! My favorite of the songs is “Black Dog”, which has this really cool dynamic where it switches between vocals only to instrumentals only at a somewhat rapid pace. I was unsure what to think of the singing at first, but while it’s nothing I love, I do like the singing and at the very least, I think it fits the music well. I also want to give special attention to “In My Time of Dying”. While I think Black Dog is a better song, IMToD automatically gets a better score because it has probably the funniest ending I’ve heard in any song ever. I’m not gonna spoil it for anyone who hasn’t heard the song, but wow, that completely caught me off-guard the first time I heard it and had me burst out laughing! The other two songs are good, but not quite anything all that special. But Led Zeppelin is a pretty good one, regardless of what my dad may tell me.

Black Dog - 8/10
Gallows Pole - 7.5/10
That’s The Way - 7.75/10
In My Time of Dying - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 7.9

Puppies_On_Acid
Marillion

First impression: I feel like it's supposed to be more of an emotional kind of music, but I don't really feel that yet; that being said, it's pretty good.

Final review: This is another result where my thoughts aren’t much different from my first impressions. I can feel a little more emotion in some of the songs now, but I can’t help but feel like this band is trying to elicit a very strong emotional response that I simply don’t get from their music. But with that said, there’s some worthwhile stuff here. The highlight for me is “Jigsaw”, which has a really nice atmosphere, and the chorus is quite impactful. To be honest, I don’t have much else to say regarding the other songs; I think saying “It has a nice atmosphere, but I don’t feel as much emotion as they’re trying to convey” accurately describes the other songs for me. The only other thing I have to say is that I find the outro to “Neverland” to be too long. It sounds nice, but nothing would’ve been lost had this ambience been cut in half. (Wow, I think I’ve been making it sound like I usually have issues with ambient parts of songs…) I feel like this writeup might feel negative, but I do think this band is good, though.

Jigsaw - 8.25/10
Sugarmice - 7.5/10
The Space - 7.75/10
Neverland - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.8

romdrums
Genesis

First impression: Reminds me of Rush in a lot of ways. They also seem a lot more technical than I thought!

Final review: Here’s an interesting submission: Two songs live, and one of them is a big 19-minute medley. I’m not familiar with where each section in the “In The Cage” medley begins, so all I’ll say is that it’s consistently great from start to end! There’s lots of instrumental sections, and I think these guys are very talented. I feel like there’s quite a few technical parts here, as well. I don’t mean on the level of, say, your average Liquid Tension Experiment song, but I think it’s comparable to the songs on When Dream and Day Unite in terms of technical proficiency. Talent aside, the music sounds really good, and the aforementioned instrumental sections are the highlight. The vocals also sound good. They’re kind of normal, but also kind of unique in their own way. “Los Endos” is great as well, but the In The Cage/Afterglow medley is the better of the two songs, for sure.

In The Cage medley/Afterglow - 8.75/10
Los Endos - 8/10

Roulette score: 8.4

MoraWintersoul
Chroma Key

First impression: This is more or less the music I expected to hear from Kevin Moore.

Final review: This is something I’m surprised I didn’t listen to sooner, since this is a Kevin Moore project, and after listening to these songs, I wish I’d listened to Chroma Key sooner! I love this kind of atmospheric music, and I knew Kevin Moore would be the kind of guy to make this music. “On the Page” is a rather melancholic song, almost like a slightly-more upbeat Space-Dye Vest. And that extends to the lyrics. I wonder if Kevin Moore intentionally wrote these lyrics in the same style as that song, but either way, it’s done well. Although I think the sampling could’ve been better… “Another Permanent Address” is a very atmospheric piece, and it sounds lovely. It almost makes me feel nostalgic, listening to it. The lyrics are kind of depressing, but Kevin Moore’s voice here is simply amazing. “Strong” is good musically, but the vocals sound really weird, and I don’t really like them. Still a good song, but not as good as the other two songs. If his time in Dream Theater isn’t any indication, these songs prove that Kevin Moore is a really great musician.

On the Page - 8.5/10
Another Permanent Address - 9/10
Strong - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 8.3

Luoto
Amorphis

First impression: Honestly, I wasn't expecting much of anything, but this is actually some pretty good music!

Final review: This is an example of why the saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover” exists. Looking at the name, I went into this expecting bland and generic death metal in the style of Lamb of God or something. What I got was metal, but my predictions were quite inaccurate otherwise! I think these guys sound really good, and they’re quite creative at times, too. I’m not sure what my favorite song is, but it’s either “Skyforger”, which is a somewhat adventurous-sounding song with a really satisfying chorus, or it’s “Death of a King” which has an Egyptian-like aesthetic to it, and it doesn’t feel like a gimmick at all. The other two songs are good as well. “Daughter of Hate” is a bit more straightforward, but it still sounds great even if it’s a little less creative compared to the other two songs I mentioned. I actually might end up looking through more of Amorphis’ discography at some point; I am very impressed!

Skyforger - 8.5/10
Under a Soil and Black Stone - 7.75/10
Death of a King - 8.5/10
Daughter of Hate - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.3

Cyril
The Hirsch Effekt

First impression: Honestly, I like what I'm hearing so far!

Final review: From the moment I saw Cyril ask to be signed up, I was immediately very interested in what submissions I would receive from him. And while I have no idea what I’m in for with the next four rounds, I can at least say this submission is a very good start! The Hirsch Effekt is unique among the other submissions this round, in that the songs are sung in German rather than English. The main highlight in each song is the singing. There’s a lot of instances where the vocals just sound so good. The music is really great, too. It’s usually upbeat, but there are times where it’s more subdued. My favorite of the three songs is “Agitation”, which is sort of a fusion of the other two songs, but those two other songs, “Natans” and “Cotard” are great in their own ways. Natans is quite melodic, whereas Cotard is loud and mostly aggressive. I wasn’t entirely sure what I would think of this before listening to it, but I’m very glad I did listen to them; The Hirsch Effekt is simply great.

Agitation - 9/10
Natans - 8.75/10
Cotard - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.8

I apologize if these writeups feel repetitive. I got burned out on doing these (even though I enjoy writing), so me pushing through it all might not have had a good effect on the quality of the writeups. Well, there we are, all Round 1 results... I'm going to sleep, you guys have fun discussing the results and whatnot, and make sure to send for Round 2 if you haven't already.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Standings?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I won't say I'm surprised... it's a rarity that younglings these days can appreciate music from the 60s/70s/80s the way that us Gen-X/Yrs did when we first discovered it.  That's not a shot at all, just an observation.  Of the pre-2000s bands, only Rush and Genesis averaged higher than 8; while Katatonia and Alter Bridge were the only two post-2000 era bands that averaged lower than 8.  It's clear you have a preference for more modern music.  Again, not said in a negative way, just an observation of the facts.

Well, I've got one more 'classic' band that has to be played, then I'll move on to the more modern stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
God I wish I could go back to the moment when I first heard Skyforger.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I won't say I'm surprised... it's a rarity that younglings these days can appreciate music from the 60s/70s/80s the way that us Gen-X/Yrs did when we first discovered it.  That's not a shot at all, just an observation.  Of the pre-2000s bands, only Rush and Genesis averaged higher than 8; while Katatonia and Alter Bridge were the only two post-2000 era bands that averaged lower than 8.  It's clear you have a preference for more modern music.  Again, not said in a negative way, just an observation of the facts.

Well, I've got one more 'classic' band that has to be played, then I'll move on to the more modern stuff.

I took care about one of the modern bands this round.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Glad you liked Amorphis! Their discography is quite varied as they started as a death metal band in the early 90's, then gradually evolved out of it into progressive hard rock and then back to metal. The style from Eclipse onward is definitely the most accessible.

Also a little interesting you consider Daughter of Hate to be more straightforward than your favorites considering the Finnish spoken word section, but it's whatever :biggrin:
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Hah! Not surprised by the score. Even though UFO are my favorite band, I rarely, and I mean rarely send them in roulettes. I certainly would've never sent them here had it not been for J Boy's Fogey Challenge.

And Stadler... :facepalm:

Oh, were you expecting me to give him a lower score?

No, it's typical Stadler. Even Kingshmegland and I were joking that Stadler would pick like the 5 worst songs of the band. :lol

Wait, what?    I stepped it up (other than Plaster Caster)!

It's not just Kiss, though; I said that I could give ten songs "10's" and I'm not more than one scored over an 8.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
He didn't even send a song from the album "Revenge" to Revenge!  Lol

I offer this for your collective amusement, but "Paralyzed" was the last song cut from the list.   :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Romdrums: what version of the In The Cage Medley did you send?

Offline Lethean

Sorry to see Katatonia not doing so well, but I'm glad you liked Evidence at least.  Katatonia was a bit of a grower for me, so I'll hold out hope that they'll eventually grow on you as well. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
possibly the only good score i will get this roulette  :metal

Offline 425

I find it bizarre you reference aimless ambience in GLS... what the heck is the last 4 minutes of P&P!?!?!   :lol  I mean, I literally cut the song off at the 10 minute mark in my library.

Wow. I think the last 4 minutes where Anette sings "Be still, my son, you're home" is the best thing on the album.

I also really like this part, and I think it's a necessary resolution to the concept, given the darkness of the earlier sections.

Also, I sent for round 2, so I'm not going to be Elite, and I also declare myself not guilty on sending the massive epics—all my songs together are under 25 minutes.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I think mine are around 25 minutes too, maybe a bit longer than that. I did send one 11-minute long song though.

Offline 425

Nice. I sent one ~9-minute song, then the others are in the 4-6 minute range.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He didn't even send a song from the album "Revenge" to Revenge!  Lol

I offer this for your collective amusement, but "Paralyzed" was the last song cut from the list.   :) :)

Of course. The worst song from Revenge! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

Re: Marillion, I kind of want to encourage you to check out some more of their stuff. Everyone is different, but aside from Sugar Mice I wouldn’t rate the 4 you heard among my favorite Marillion songs. Though I will say you are generally right that Marillion are an emotional band (both eras). They also like to have extended ambient passages, so that’s something to consider.

The three albums I’d want you to really dig into to get a sense of what they can do are Clutching at Straws, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
That's a great score, kinda expected a bit more on Untouchable but at least I'm glad you loved their self-titled song so much!

I'll take advantage of the small banned list yet again :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marillion, I kind of want to encourage you to check out some more of their stuff. Everyone is different, but aside from Sugar Mice I wouldn’t rate the 4 you heard among my favorite Marillion songs. Though I will say you are generally right that Marillion are an emotional band (both eras). They also like to have extended ambient passages, so that’s something to consider.

The three albums I’d want you to really dig into to get a sense of what they can do are Clutching at Straws, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight.

Revenge, I'll PAY you to listen to Clutching At Straws.    If you don't like that, then so be it, you're probably not going to be a Marillion fan, but it's about as indicative of their catalogue as any album is.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Revenge, I'll PAY you to listen to Clutching At Straws.    If you don't like that, then so be it, you're probably not going to be a Marillion fan, but it's about as indicative of their catalogue as any album is.

You owe me a lot of money then Stads. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

You owe me a lot of money then Stads. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ha!  Payable in beer?

(I walked away from beer for a while and kept to vodka, but lately I've been enjoying Blue Moon Belgian Wheat a lot.)

Offline Revenge319

Apologies for not posting the standings! I was exhausted after the writeups last night and just forgot to do that.

STANDINGS

Buddyhunter1: 8.9
425: 8.9
Cyril: 8.8
twosuitsluke: 8.6
Evermind: 8.6
romdrums: 8.4
MoraWintersoul: 8.3
Luoto: 8.3
Nekov: 8.2
kingshmegland: 8.2
Sacul: 8.2
Elite: 8.1
Anguyen92: 7.9
jingle.boy: 7.9
TAC: 7.8
Puppies_On_Acid: 7.8
Lethean: 7.7
HOF: 7.6
Stadler: 6.4

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the gap between first and second-to-last is almost as big as the gap between second-to-last and last, poor stads  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
And here I thought the 8.1 would be a good score when the first batch of results got posted :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

Yeah, you've got a point. Growing up, my parents listened to a lot of modern music, and not much 'classic' music, so perhaps I've always been conditioned to enjoy the more modern style of rock/metal? But hey, if this round is anything to go by, I find older music to be very enjoyable as well!

Also a little interesting you consider Daughter of Hate to be more straightforward than your favorites considering the Finnish spoken word section, but it's whatever :biggrin:

Well, I meant besides that spoken word section. I probably should've brought that up, in hindsight.

Sorry to see Katatonia not doing so well, but I'm glad you liked Evidence at least.  Katatonia was a bit of a grower for me, so I'll hold out hope that they'll eventually grow on you as well. :)

Though it was the third-lowest roulette score of this round, I did like Katatonia. It's just a combination of the music being not so memorable for most songs, as well as so many people here sending really, really good stuff that would naturally make Katatonia look outclassed.

possibly the only good score i will get this roulette  :metal

Well, you never know what could happen!

That's a great score, kinda expected a bit more on Untouchable but at least I'm glad you loved their self-titled song so much!

I'll take advantage of the small banned list yet again :corn

Seeing as there's two parts to Untouchable, perhaps I'll enjoy it a lot more as a whole?

Well, if that's how much you want me to listen to it, I'll make sure give that album a shot in the future. Or at least I'll try to, because I think I'm gonna have a big backlog of music to explore deeper when this roulette is all over.

And here I thought the 8.1 would be a good score when the first batch of results got posted :)

I'd say that's a really good score! It may look small compared to the maximum possible score of 10, but I think 8.1 is a strong start.

Offline Anguyen92

I've burned the best band I got in the list of bands I have in mind, early, and I don't think you and I will probably see eye-to-eye with the next list of bands I will send throughout this roulette.  But I'll try to throwing lists and see what sticks.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

I had considered sending a song from both Brave and Afraid of Sunlight, but I felt those are albums that really need to be heard front to back.

I still think Neverland is an almost perfect song, long ambient outro and all.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

I had considered sending a song from both Brave and Afraid of Sunlight, but I felt those are albums that really need to be heard front to back.

I still think Neverland is an almost perfect song, long ambient outro and all.

I think Neverland is a great track and a perfect ending to Marbles. I can see someone finding it over long though, and honestly I think I’ve just sort of worn it out over the years. I still like it but it’s just lost some luster for me.

Offline Revenge319

I'll begin listening to my Round 2 submissions shortly. Just as a reminder, I still need submissions from:

- Sacul
- Elite
- romdrums
- kingshmegland
- Luoto