Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 107787 times)

Offline efx

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #910 on: February 17, 2024, 02:52:17 PM »
I would assume since it's their recording space that stuff is set up to always be able to quickly start recording, be it demo scratch tracks or final takes.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #911 on: February 17, 2024, 03:27:58 PM »
I would assume since it's their recording space that stuff is set up to always be able to quickly start recording, be it demo scratch tracks or final takes.

maybe they will do impromptu covers and do a bonus disc a la black clouds and silver linings. i'd love to hear a cover of Umphrey Mcgees Mantis or maybe Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. JR could do all the brass parts with synth patches
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #912 on: February 17, 2024, 06:46:12 PM »

maybe they will do impromptu covers and do a bonus disc a la black clouds and silver linings. i'd love to hear a cover of Umphrey Mcgees Mantis or maybe Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. JR could do all the brass parts with synth patches

Throw a Mahavishnu cover in there too lol

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #913 on: February 17, 2024, 10:01:32 PM »
@Paddies

A lot of those you listed aren’t ballads, otherwise Bosk and I wouldn’t have made that claim. Why didn’t you list Octavarium, A Change of Seasons, etc? Those have soft acoustic sections too.

Maybe we have different views on what's a ballad and what's not. I'm curious what songs I mentioned don't pass as a ballad for you and why. You say 'a lot'. I really can't see it that way actually. I think the songs I listed can all pass as ballads, because they are overall 'softer' and heavily based on melody, without heavy sections. And the lyrics, emotions and pathos of all the mentioned songs scream 'ballad', in my view anyway.

The big difference with the both long songs you mention is that those songs have metal sequences as well and therefore don't qualify as a ballad in my opinion. You mention it yourself: they have 'acoustic sections'. But they are much more than those acoustic sections.

I on the other hand prefer Another Day, Surrounded, Wait For Sleep The Silent Man, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Space-Dye Vest, To Live Forever, Eve, Hollow Years, Anna Lee, Through My Words, Through Her Eyes, One Last Time, The Spirit Carries On, Disappear, Goodnight Kiss, Vacant and I Walk Beside You over all these songs actually.

From the MM era ones I like Barstool Warrior and This Is The Life the most. Followed shortly by The Bigger Picture.

Of your list I wouldn't consider The Bigger Picture or One Last Time ballads. It comes down to both of them having heavier sections. Granted, not as heavy as, say, The Mirror or As I Am, but still much heavier than something that is unambiguously a ballad, like Wait for Sleep.

Two songs. That's not 'a lot'. ;-)
And those might be a bit debatable but I can still consider them as ballads, also because This Is The Life was mentioned by the others and I consider that as 'heavy' or as rock orientated as One Last Time and The Bigger Picture. But we are really nitpicking now and I'm okay to agree to disagree. This is not the most important discussion in the world. ;-)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: February 17, 2024, 11:53:51 PM »
Does this imply that they have finished writing the full album? Or are recording a song as soon as it comes together before moving back to writing other pieces?

I imagine he might be just experimenting with the chocolate cake recipe, to get the right guitar tone for recording.

The chocolate cake needs to go! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate... that's all we've have for the last few albums.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: February 18, 2024, 07:03:09 AM »

Covers disc would be cool.

How many songs do you think this album is going to have (apologies if this has already been discussed)

« Reply #916 on: February 18, 2024, 08:00:01 AM »

How many songs do you think this album is going to have (apologies if this has already been discussed)

Hopefully either 4 (2 epics and 2 singles) or 18 (lots of shorter songs making up a conceptual album) a la The Astonishing
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: February 18, 2024, 08:50:09 AM »
My guess is 9 tracks. Do you think there will be an epic broken up into pieces, like Six Degrees or ITPOE?

« Reply #918 on: February 18, 2024, 08:52:05 AM »
i think they have at least one epic. can't imagine the record not having one. i'd prefer if they didn't break it up personally
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #919 on: February 18, 2024, 08:53:34 AM »
i think they have at least one epic. can't imagine the record not having one. i'd prefer if they didn't break it up personally

Same.

Just hoping they do something fresh and not just by the numbers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #920 on: February 18, 2024, 08:56:13 AM »

Same.

Third that.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #921 on: February 18, 2024, 12:12:32 PM »
funny thing, I do care so much for next album, but I really do not care at all what it would be like. I love it being pure metal like Train of Thought just as much as I love it being more melodic and diverse, like Images and Words or Octavarium. Even if they feel like having fun and drop a piece like Systematic Chaos, I would adore it also.

I am over the moon that they're back together and I will see them reunited (for my first time) next tour. As long as they get the album where they want it to be, I will recieve it with my arms wide open.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #922 on: February 18, 2024, 01:04:47 PM »
funny thing, I do care so much for next album, but I really do not care at all what it would be like. I love it being pure metal like Train of Thought just as much as I love it being more melodic and diverse, like Images and Words or Octavarium. Even if they feel like having fun and drop a piece like Systematic Chaos, I would adore it also.

I am over the moon that they're back together and I will see them reunited (for my first time) next tour. As long as they get the album where they want it to be, I will recieve it with my arms wide open.

I agree. Anything DT does, I am going to be so excited, and I can't wait to hear what it is. It's not so much about Portnoy being reuinted, (although I am excited to hear the different dynamic, maybe more texture in the vocals area as well - I like all his growly stuff), its that it is New Dream Theater music.
There is no bad Dream Theater music for me. I have favorites, but even the couple of songs in their discography I don't care for, are still better than most music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #923 on: February 18, 2024, 01:28:58 PM »
There is no bad Dream Theater music for me. I have favorites, but even the couple of songs in their discography I don't care for, are still better than most music.

Completely agree with you :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #924 on: February 18, 2024, 01:29:54 PM »
One element I’m hoping for is some strong, memorable melodies. As much as I liked A View, that was an area I felt was lacking a little. There were some moments where there was maybe a tasty vocal line in a verse that made me sit up and take notice, but frustratingly never came back again, or wasn’t built on.

I’ll give an example: Sleeping Giant. The verse seems to flow fine, but when it comes to the chorus, the melody is just ok, but I don’t think it really takes off, or elevates the song to the level I’m hoping it would.

If that makes any kind of sense..  :D

Offline Trav86

« Reply #925 on: February 18, 2024, 02:05:41 PM »
One element I’m hoping for is some strong, memorable melodies. As much as I liked A View, that was an area I felt was lacking a little. There were some moments where there was maybe a tasty vocal line in a verse that made me sit up and take notice, but frustratingly never came back again, or wasn’t built on.

I’ll give an example: Sleeping Giant. The verse seems to flow fine, but when it comes to the chorus, the melody is just ok, but I don’t think it really takes off, or elevates the song to the level I’m hoping it would.

I agree 100%

No no no…please God NO.

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #926 on: February 18, 2024, 02:12:23 PM »
No no no…please God NO.
As a bonus like they did for BCaSL, what would be wrong with them doing covers?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #927 on: February 18, 2024, 02:32:44 PM »
No no no…please God NO.
Yeah, if you don't like covers, you don't have to listen to it. No one is going to force you to.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #928 on: February 18, 2024, 05:01:25 PM »
Ya, I think if it were a bonus disc only, a disc of new covers might be kinda cool.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #929 on: February 18, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
Personally, I'm hoping for a Majesty 40th Anniversary EP. Now that the OG trio is back together it would be sick to get a fresh studio recording with James and Jordan. I'd take it as a bonus disc for the new album, or just drop it as an EP in '25. I'd enjoy that more than covers.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #930 on: February 18, 2024, 06:15:42 PM »
Personally, I'm hoping for a Majesty 40th Anniversary EP. Now that the OG trio is back together it would be sick to get a fresh studio recording with James and Jordan. I'd take it as a bonus disc for the new album, or just drop it as an EP in '25. I'd enjoy that more than covers.

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #931 on: February 18, 2024, 07:43:17 PM »
Does this imply that they have finished writing the full album? Or are recording a song as soon as it comes together before moving back to writing other pieces?

I imagine he might be just experimenting with the chocolate cake recipe, to get the right guitar tone for recording.

The chocolate cake needs to go! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate... that's all we've have for the last few albums.

Yeah, less calories in JP's tone please. Especially his over saturated chorus live tone.  Live at Luna Park is hard to digest with all that frosting.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: February 18, 2024, 08:29:11 PM »
People wanting a covers disc, a re-recording of WDaDU, and something about chocolate cake?! What the heck is going on in this thread?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #933 on: February 18, 2024, 08:36:23 PM »
I would probably be more into them remaking Majesty era songs than covers. But if they did make another covers disc, I would like to see them lean more into deep cuts like on BCSL.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #934 on: February 19, 2024, 05:49:56 AM »

It makes perfect sense to me. Sleeping Giant was my biggest disappointment on that album and it was due to what you said.

I find that DT hooks/chorus melodies are usually a grab bag each album. You're going to get some very solid ones, some fine, and then some deflaters. I bet DT16 follows that pattern.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: February 19, 2024, 06:24:29 AM »
No no no…please God NO.

To me the bonus disc was the best part of BC&SL

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #936 on: February 19, 2024, 07:11:28 AM »

I agree. Anything DT does, I am going to be so excited, and I can't wait to hear what it is. It's not so much about Portnoy being reuinted, (although I am excited to hear the different dynamic, maybe more texture in the vocals area as well - I like all his growly stuff), its that it is New Dream Theater music.

I'm in this camp, 100%; well, 90% because the return of Portnoy is a big part of my excitement.  I respect others, and what matters to them because we're all different, but FOR ME, I don't care about how many songs are on the record, or how long or any of that.  I can't name one song I like that is because "it's one of nine songs on the record!" or "because it's over 12 minutes long!".   I like songs because I liked the way the notes and rhythms are strung together.   I like them because they MOVE me.  I'm hoping for something that MOVES ME.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #937 on: February 19, 2024, 07:14:09 AM »
No no no…please God NO.

To me the bonus disc was the best part of BC&SL
Me too, because I didn't like the main part of BC&SL.

If they are going to take time and energy to record music at all, I would much rather it be new original DT music than covers.  I just don't see the point of them recording covers.  Please no covers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #938 on: February 19, 2024, 07:18:09 AM »

I love that idea! 💖

For covers, something really classic please, like when they covered Pink Floyd.

« Reply #939 on: February 19, 2024, 07:49:01 AM »
they could do a disc-length mashup of Close to the Edge, The Revealing Science of God, The Gates of Delirium, and Awaken. The ultimate prog cover. then as it fades out you hear the 9/8 part from Supper's Ready and there is a grand Genesis fake out ending
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #940 on: February 19, 2024, 07:59:58 AM »
Stadler exactly, count me in.

On each album (even Falling Into Infinity) they have songs that move me, sometimes Dream Theater brings tears into my eyes, other times I am time-signaturing on each table or chair in here.  Whenever I feel bad, they have lots of songs that feels comfortable, but when I wanna have some metal riffs to bang along, they do also.

And in the fall of their musician live, each album that comes is a blessing, which I'll 'absorb'...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #941 on: February 19, 2024, 08:40:46 AM »

Amen, brother!
It's the coolest and right way to celebrate their 40th anniversary! :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #942 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:15 AM »
I revisited Six Degrees (Disc 1) and FII and can't/will never get bored out of those two albums. I'm kind of burned out by SFAM (played it like crazy) and some of the older stuff as well. I'm quite excited what MP will bring to the table with DT's new writing style (or I think a better word is "evolution") since the last albums are quite different from the older stuff (for better or worse, that is a whole different conversation).

While I don't expect anything ground breaking, I do expect a return to the much "older, classic" DT sound (like FII, SFAM, Six Degrees) which is what I miss the most about DT's current sound. For me, musically, that was the DT's best era. SC, ToT, and Black Clouds, while I appreciate those albums for what they are (and have some awesome headbanging songs), the band's writing style had become stale at that point in my opinion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #943 on: February 19, 2024, 09:37:31 AM »
I would probably be more into them remaking Majesty era songs than covers.

Yes please!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gborland

« Reply #944 on: February 19, 2024, 10:16:32 AM »
I don't want covers or revisited old stuff.

I just want 75 minutes of awesome spine-tingling new DT.
Graham Borland