Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 107470 times)

lightbug, frogprog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin early February
« Reply #595 on: February 07, 2024, 02:09:11 PM »
Portnoy and Mangini could actually play together on that set.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: February 07, 2024, 02:10:51 PM »
I just wet my pants

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #597 on: February 07, 2024, 02:12:09 PM »

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2024, 02:17:37 PM »
Portnoy probably agreed to come back to DT because he needed a place to store all his drum kits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2024, 02:28:37 PM »
I just wet my pants
I also just wet your pants.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2024, 03:00:10 PM »
Oh, to be a fly on the wall!!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2024, 03:16:47 PM »
Somehow seeing that kit in the studio, presumably with the rest of the band, just filled me with nostalgia of seeing behind the scenes pics of their sessions from the 00s. Oh I cannot wait for more updates, and of course, the album itself.

I wonder if they've got the idea white-board out for Mike to arrange stuff and ideas? He's been doing that with other bands since DT, like Flying Colors and Transatlantic, so I'm curious to see if the others would let him do that again.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2024, 03:18:15 PM »
Somehow seeing that kit in the studio, presumably with the rest of the band, just filled me with nostalgia of seeing behind the scenes pics of their sessions from the 00s. Oh I cannot wait for more updates, and of course, the album itself.

I wonder if they've got the idea white-board out for Mike to arrange stuff and ideas? He's been doing that with other bands since DT, like Flying Colors and Transatlantic, so I'm curious to see if the others would let him do that again.

-Marc.

I don't see why they wouldn't, if that's how he likes to operate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #603 on: February 07, 2024, 03:36:22 PM »

-Marc.

I don't see why they wouldn't, if that's how he likes to operate.

My only reasoning might be if JP and JR are pretty set in the ways they've done things for the last 13 years, but I don't see them being that strict or not open to Mike's ideas again. Given the writing chemistry that John has built back up with Mike between his last solo album and LTE 3, it seems more likely than not that they'll have Mike dive right back into the arrangement process once more.

EDIT - Looks like Jordan has posted his studio photo as well!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=952421176240778&set=a.299437788205790
Here we go!! #Dreamtheater16 #dreamtheater

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 03:44:21 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2024, 04:44:12 PM »
Pics:

:omg: :omg: :omg:
Thanks! Now I have to go CLEAN UP! ;)

Offline gborland

« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2024, 04:53:53 PM »
What do y'all think James's studio photo will be? A screenshot of an autotune plugin?  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2024, 05:12:27 PM »
What do y'all think James's studio photo will be? A screenshot of an autotune plugin?  ;D

It’ll be him playing basketball waiting for all of the instruments to be recorded, just like during Scenes From a Memory.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2024, 05:44:15 PM »

No. Probably a high end professional vocal booth.

Online HOF

« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2024, 06:30:43 PM »
Maybe a tambourine or shaker of some sort.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: February 07, 2024, 07:01:04 PM »

Pretty sure Mike's ego is already sitting in that second seat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #610 on: February 07, 2024, 07:02:26 PM »

A shovel. Or a forklift.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: February 07, 2024, 08:55:25 PM »
I have never been in a recording studio, I am never done anything related to music or the industry. Saying that, I am still baffled by the fact that James doesn't record his vocals in the studio with the other guys.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #612 on: February 07, 2024, 09:17:45 PM »
I have never been in a recording studio, I am never done anything related to music or the industry. Saying that, I am still baffled by the fact that James doesn't record his vocals in the studio with the other guys.

Well, it's not as much of a given as it seems. Either you're overdubbing the vocals after the "core" instrumental tracks are done or you've got an elaborate isolation situation where the singer is in another room and listening to the rest of the band play through their headphones. That last one is if you want the singer to be singing while the band is playing on the spot.

Now picture this: imagine any singer on an off day flubbing their parts. If the rest of the band aren't hearing them, the singer will either resign to try again on a new full band take (which is stressful for the singer and not effective in terms of time) or have the whole band stop and go at it again (which is stressful for the entire band). If the rest of the band is hearing them, a vocal flub might drive everyone off their rocker and force everyone to start again from the top.

Have I mentioned studio time is expensive? I know DT owns DTHQ, but they're still paying the staff for however long it takes for them to get the work done.

If the singer is singing on a later moment, it's on their terms and time (one single flub and they can just ask the engineer to stop recording and cue the track or part again).

I personally romanticize this process thinking the whole band would be interested in sticking around for the whole thing... and that's not always the case. Which isn't a knock on anybody.

Hope this made sense!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: February 07, 2024, 09:56:56 PM »
First off, I appreciate the post. Yeah, I do get all that and know I am being a bit myopic. In the abstract it just seems weird a group of guys working together to write and record an album are doing a significant part (or parts) of it separately.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #614 on: February 07, 2024, 10:00:39 PM »
Calling it now, next album is a follow-up to 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence called 7 Degrees of Desperation  :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #615 on: February 07, 2024, 10:19:01 PM »
First off, I appreciate the post. Yeah, I do get all that and know I am being a bit myopic. In the abstract it just seems weird a group of guys working together to write and record an album are doing a significant part (or parts) of it separately.

I hope I didn't come off as condescending or saying you were being myopic, because I actually think it's a valid point and there definitely is a weird aspect to it (even though I mentioned arguments as to why it "makes sense" for them to do it separately).

In my heart of hearts, it would make the most sense for the band to sort of live together for a while. Not necessarily sleeping in the same room  :lol, but you know, meeting constantly in a rehearsal space, hashing out ideas together, making a sort of drawing board version of the album... do some pre-production before setting out to the studio. Because then it's just a matter of recording it in the way that's most cost-effective, because the material would be born out of the collective interaction of all five members. But that takes time and money since most of them don't live in the same neighborhood anymore (as far as I can tell).

Ultimately, they're choosing to create in the studio and JLB may or may not be there for it. The end product will give out the "illusion" of a full band effort, but they've done that before and it has worked (and very often that's the case for many recordings).

Offline NoFred

« Reply #616 on: February 07, 2024, 10:24:43 PM »

No. Probably a high end professional vocal booth.

His backstage mini tent

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #617 on: February 07, 2024, 11:19:56 PM »
Exciting times! So many drums. So many pedals. Octobarns.
There's the callback I was waiting for  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #618 on: February 07, 2024, 11:35:08 PM »
Just thought I’d take a moment to say that I did a little bit of math, and if Wiki is to be believed, BCSL wrapped up recording in March of 2009.

Which means that Mike may have been officially out of DT for 13 years, but it’s been only a month short of 15 years since they were in the studio together.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #619 on: February 08, 2024, 01:58:58 AM »

A shovel. Or a forklift.
Excellent. Someone else remembers. Especially the forklift.  ;D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: February 08, 2024, 02:13:46 AM »
Now that's a massive drumkit. But I wouldn't expect anything else from MP!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #621 on: February 08, 2024, 04:27:25 AM »
Hmmmm….. wonder if JP will lose the beard or at least take it down, from say David Letterman to say George Clooney size , sort of like a new beginning with Mike being back ? There is, of course his beard products company. … i’m sure I am with the majority that don’t care if his beard hits the floor as long as this is a killer album, which probably will be….Thoughts?
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2024, 04:38:11 AM »
... as long as this is a killer album, which probably will be….Thoughts?

Home pt. II
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline emtee

« Reply #623 on: February 08, 2024, 05:27:27 AM »
I would guess that since the album will be recorded using this kit/configuration, that it's likely the same kit will be on tour. While MP could improvise on a smaller kit and make it work, certain parts would not be quite the same. Lots of tuning, set up time and job security for the tech.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #624 on: February 08, 2024, 05:32:41 AM »
Just thought I’d take a moment to say that I did a little bit of math, and if Wiki is to be believed, BCSL wrapped up recording in March of 2009.

Which means that Mike may have been officially out of DT for 13 years, but it’s been only a month short of 15 years since they were in the studio together.

But didn't they write/record Raw Dog in the studio later?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin eaCoorly February
« Reply #625 on: February 08, 2024, 06:08:10 AM »
Cool stuff regarding the drum kit. Someone made a similar remark a page or two ago but MP is going to be a counterweight to JP, and that is a good thing in my book.

Even in that one post you can see the power dynamics have changed. Mangini was asked to reduce the size of his kit going into View. Portnoy's first session back, he comes in with the biggest kit imaginable. I am all for it.

Offline nikatapi

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin eaCoorly February
« Reply #626 on: February 08, 2024, 06:16:31 AM »
Cool stuff regarding the drum kit. Someone made a similar remark a page or two ago but MP is going to be a counterweight to JP, and that is a good thing in my book.

Even in that one post you can see the power dynamics have changed. Mangini was asked to reduce the size of his kit going into View. Portnoy's first session back, he comes in with the biggest kit imaginable. I am all for it.

First thing that came to my mind. Just goes to show the difference between the dynamics (and attitude).

Offline Awaken

« Reply #627 on: February 08, 2024, 06:26:52 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics for those of us without social media accounts!  The kit looks great, really looking forward to hearing what they'll come up with.  Also really hoping for an 'Escape from the Studio' type mini-tour to dust things off a bit . . . .

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #628 on: February 08, 2024, 07:03:29 AM »
Pics:

36 (6^2) Degrees of Inner Turbulence confirmed lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #629 on: February 08, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »

But didn't they write/record Raw Dog in the studio later?

Excellent point. I sometimes forget about Raw Dog. Not sure when the studio time for that was. Maybe our resident DT encyclopedia Setlist Scotty has that info?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude