Author Topic: Mr. Big  (Read 11585 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: Mr. Big
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2024, 03:19:23 PM »
WOW. Is that for GA? They are playing The Fillmore in SF (which is 800 or so capacity, GA, which is what they played when I last saw them on the What If? tour), and then a 200 capacity BAR close by. We're just gonna do the latter.

No, it's a seated theatre ~1000 capacity.
Granted I'm basically 4th row/center, but it looks like anything below the balcony was going to be in that range.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2024, 06:20:36 PM »
Rumborak is meeting up with the Queen and I at the show!  WOOOOTTTTT!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2024, 03:54:46 PM »
SPOILERT ALERT: TONITE'S SETLIST

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 04:00:09 PM by MinistroRaven »

Online HOF

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2024, 12:52:30 PM »
Ah man, somebody in the band is sick and they had to cancel their Clearwater show tonight.

https://x.com/BillyonBass/status/1749154882446315865?s=20

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2024, 09:43:36 AM »
Local show went on sale yesterday, so I picked up tickets. This venue is really convenient, but it's tiny. They say 300 capacity, but in all honesty, that includes the upstairs bar, where after about three people deep, you can't see the stage. So it's more like 200 people, max. Be weird to see Mr. Big in a bar. But it's happening. Should be fun. I'm a bit surprised they are playing this venue. It's very, very tiny. But hey, cool for Mrs. Samsara and I.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online HOF

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2024, 10:50:17 AM »
Local show went on sale yesterday, so I picked up tickets. This venue is really convenient, but it's tiny. They say 300 capacity, but in all honesty, that includes the upstairs bar, where after about three people deep, you can't see the stage. So it's more like 200 people, max. Be weird to see Mr. Big in a bar. But it's happening. Should be fun. I'm a bit surprised they are playing this venue. It's very, very tiny. But hey, cool for Mrs. Samsara and I.

Pretty different from the venues they play in Asia that's for sure!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2024, 12:16:11 PM »
I'm hoping that some of Mr. Big's BIG fans in Japan follow them on this tour. They'll be shocked at how small the place I'm seeing them is.

To be honest, I'm hoping they don't cancel. It seems way too small for Mr. Big. But I'll take it!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2024, 01:50:37 PM »
In Dallas they played the same venue that Dream Theater has played the last couple of tours. I think it’s a 1500 to 2000 seat capacity. With Mr. Big there were patches of empty seats. The balcony wasn’t half full, and the GA area at the back was pretty much dead. There were maybe 500 people there. 750 possible.  But the crowd was great, and the band was spectacular.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2024, 01:52:43 PM »
In Dallas they played the same venue that Dream Theater has played the last couple of tours. I think it’s a 1500 to 2000 seat capacity. With Mr. Big there were patches of empty seats. The balcony wasn’t half full, and the GA area at the back was pretty much dead. There were maybe 500 people there. 750 possible.  But the crowd was great, and the band was spectacular.

The NJ show is about a 2k capacity GA ballroom.  I kind of expect the curtains to be down to make the venue smaller for this show. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2024, 03:01:19 PM »
Enjoy this behind-the scene
https://youtu.be/UR6TAutR_n0

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2024, 05:47:13 AM »
I was at the Orlando show Saturday night and thought it was great. Setlist was strong, with all of Lean Into It and some choice other originals and covers. The band sounds good as well, and man do I forget how much of a joy it always is to watch Paul Gilbert do his thing. He makes it all look so effortless in a way that I don't really see from a lot of other shredders.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2024, 09:59:27 AM »
I was at the Orlando show Saturday night and thought it was great. Setlist was strong, with all of Lean Into It and some choice other originals and covers. The band sounds good as well, and man do I forget how much of a joy it always is to watch Paul Gilbert do his thing. He makes it all look so effortless in a way that I don't really see from a lot of other shredders.

To me, that's how you know they are great, when it looks so easy.  I always felt that way with JP too, watching the DVDs when I first got into DT.  Guy makes it look so easy to make me think "I can do that!"  :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2024, 10:20:44 AM »
NDV going over his drum gear prior to the Orlando show (with a snippet of Colorado Bulldog at the end). Never seen Nick so gray before. Must have stopped coloring on this tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0HxQREoHw&t=4s

Online HOF

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2024, 09:06:01 PM »
Rick Beato interviews Paul Gilbert!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzalOcJwW5A

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2024, 03:52:46 PM »
Local concert is tonight, it's not sold out so I'll buy a ticket at the door  :metal

Funny, last week I saw Extreme (and listened to them a bunch the week leading to that show) and this week I've been listening to Mr Big a lot and I keep thinking these bands are kind of similar, but I actually like Mr Big's soft songs more.  Not sure if I enjoy them overall more or not though.  I guess it'll be my first and last time seeing them, but it's always been a joy seeing Billy Sheehan perform before and I'm sure again.

Online HOF

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2024, 04:17:15 PM »
Local concert is tonight, it's not sold out so I'll buy a ticket at the door  :metal

Funny, last week I saw Extreme (and listened to them a bunch the week leading to that show) and this week I've been listening to Mr Big a lot and I keep thinking these bands are kind of similar, but I actually like Mr Big's soft songs more.  Not sure if I enjoy them overall more or not though.  I guess it'll be my first and last time seeing them, but it's always been a joy seeing Billy Sheehan perform before and I'm sure again.

Mr. Big's pop songs in general are better than the heavier/more hard rock oriented songs IMO. They're a pop band who also happen to shred.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2024, 02:18:48 PM »
So the show on Friday night basically sucked.

Eric Martin was clearly sick.  Right off the bat the guy had no voice and was clearly struggling.  Struggling so bad that it was not only difficult to listen to but also difficult to watch.  It's not really fair for my to give that show too much thought because it just wouldn't be fair.  It was easily the worst vocal showing I may have ever seen, but what can you do if you are sick?  I think they should have cancelled and never taken the stage that night, but that's easier said than done and I don't know the circumstances.  They did postpone/cancel the show after so the band did acknowledge it. 

The rest of the band was solid.  Our show had one song cut from the set and apparently (no idea if this is true) the solos were longer to compensate.  For the song To Be With You, Eric asked the crowd to help and pointed to his throat.  That was the only acknowledgement that I noticed that something was wrong.  I really think the band should have come out before the set to let the crowd know that Eric was sick.  It was just like a punch to the gut realizing that in the moment right during the first song that this was going to be a difficult show to watch. 

I guess I shouldn't be too bummed though, I didn't even pay to get in! Someone gave me an extra ticket for free while waiting on line to buy a ticket at the door.  It's always great to watch Billy play bass and that was no different.  I did think the song they did when everyone swapped isntruments was kind of cheesy.  I mean, I get it that they want to show off the versatility and talent, but the song choice was just kind of a dud and Billy came off like a bad wedding singer  :lol (mostly the way he was talking, his actual vocals were fine). Actually thought their Who cover was really well done to end the show.

Also, odd to see Billy say the show was sold out... the curtains were down and tickets were available at the door.  It wasn't packed at all.  But sure, good turn out I guess  :lol  Also, I did like how Billy addressed the crowd after the show was over saying this is their farewell tour and that they won't be coming back so thanks and goodbye.  Out of all the "farewell" tours I've seen lately, this was the first time I could recall the band actually saying farewell at the end. 

My first and likely last Mr. Big experience

Mr. Big The Big Finish Tour LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ 2024

Online HOF

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2024, 02:36:30 PM »
That’s too bad about Eric. They’ve already cancelled and rescheduled one show on the tour and I guess they didn’t want to cancel another one. Should have just had Nick sing leads maybe, but that might have been too tall of an order for him. Eric doesn’t have a lot of voice left on a good night though, so not sure you were missing much from him vocally.

Online HOF

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2024, 10:42:20 PM »
Really extensive tour vlog from NDV with lots of cool footage.

https://youtu.be/6daVCStP1dY?si=Y1tNjrCAMBghC2Mg

Offline Volante99

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2024, 01:44:22 PM »
Saw Mr. Big last week at the Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, MN.

I would say the theatre was about 80% sold through- ~750 people by my guess which you've got to think was a win for the band considering it's a Midwest market in the middle of the week.

Quite possibly the best sounding (volume and mix) rock concert I've been to in recent memory- loud enough to where you could feel the kick drum down in your cajones, but not too loud to where you walk out of the theatre with ringing ears, feeling like you've been assaulted. Not sure if that's thanks to the venue or the band's crew but it was all very balanced and professional sounding.

Paul Gilbert is still a force to be reckoned with. Pretty sure he didn't miss a single note the entire night. He's almost too good. Listening to Gilbert live is basically like putting on the record. YMMV depending on if you like that vibe or not for a concert.

For me, it was Billy Sheehan and Nick D'Virgilio that stole the show. As far as rock bands go, it's tough to beat that rhythm section. They were flexing and moving some serious air during the more uptempo tunes like Colorado Bulldog and Shyboy.

Eric's voice is, well, completely shot. Not quite Don Dokken or DLR shot, but let's just say he's fortunate Gilbert, D'Virgilio, and Sheehan are strong backup singers.

Overall a strong show- but given how basic/stripped down the presentation was I think $100 was a bit steep
Glad I got to see them live once in my life, though. The chance to hear one of my favorite records, Lean Into It, played live in it's entirety was just too hard to pass up.

Side note: The Church of Scientology has an impressive center (church?) directly across the street from the theatre - I couldn't help but wonder if Sheehan paid it a visit.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2024, 01:49:22 PM »
 :lol about Scientology across the street

$100 seems stiff for this tour, I think it was $40 at the door for me, but someone gave me a free ticket while I was waiting to purchase one.  I don't think I would have gone to my local show if it was that expensive.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2024, 02:14:28 PM »
yeah i got a ticket for 35,- seeing them in july!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2024, 04:17:53 PM »
Yeah judging from Nick D’s vlog, it seems like they are playing a wide range of venues- from 1000 seat theatres to a literal “bar and grill”. It just so happened my local show was at a fancy pants theatre and I had to pay out the nose for my ticket.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2024, 09:19:17 AM »

Online HOF

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2024, 11:46:04 AM »
Looks great, and sounds great, Eric’s voice notwithstanding. Age comes for us all.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 AM »
Looks great, and sounds great, Eric’s voice notwithstanding. Age comes for us all.

He sounds great compared to what I saw in person  :rollin

Offline PetFish

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2024, 06:05:10 PM »

Big Mac $1.03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pdQnZLEWNo

Nothing bad to say about Martin's voice after this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2024, 05:36:55 AM »
hhhmmm... seems the Buffalo show is about 15 minutes from me, and only $50.  Depending on what's going on in June, I may just try to take it in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2024, 06:27:25 AM »

Big Mac $1.03

Oh my!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2024, 06:30:31 AM »

Big Mac $1.03

Wow...that video just made my morning! It's always nice to have something to show the co-workers first thing.. :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2024, 09:07:14 AM »

Big Mac $1.03

:lol that's a classic, but to be fair, I wasn't meaning to criticize Eric.  He was sick the night I saw them and was basically unable to perform but went out there regardless.  So that Budokan video legit sounded good to my ears compared to my recent experience.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2024, 08:49:36 PM »

Big Mac $1.03

:lol that's a classic, but to be fair, I wasn't meaning to criticize Eric.  He was sick the night I saw them and was basically unable to perform but went out there regardless.  So that Budokan video legit sounded good to my ears compared to my recent experience.

Yes, no worries, I just never miss an opportunity to post that Vince Neil train wreck.

TUBBUBBEE!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »
I am going to the London show this Saturday.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline coz

« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2024, 12:53:02 PM »
NDV recently posted a slideshow on youtube of their latest crowd pics.  They really have had quite the variety of venues!  The Cincinnati one is quite odd from what I've seen.
Anyone see themselves?
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online HOF

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2024, 07:36:13 PM »
Looking at pictures of shows on FB and Twitter, they appear to have a 5th musician on stage with them. Anyone know who that is/what it’s about?

Edit: Looks like it’s a guy named Jared James Nichols and he’s essentially doubling Eric’s leads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSvzhT65mHY&pp=ygUHTXIuIEJpZw%3D%3D

EDT 2: I think Jared James Nichols was the opener. Not sure who the guy singing with them is.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 08:13:26 PM by HOF »