Author Topic: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto  (Read 8241 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto
« on: April 05, 2024, 05:18:21 PM »
There may be some people out there who deny that JLB is still as good as ever. A few unkind cellphone clips (let us remember that cellphone microphones don't capture the human voice very well) of him on the last tour will never wash away how great, unique, amazIng, and insightful of a singer he is

Here is the evidence:

Our guy was cameo'd (is that the word) a request to do an a capella performance of "Innocence Faded". Here was the result; I believe they speak for themselves

https://youtu.be/QX0k8oRuiOY?si=TSkrAJUBgN1iVeV9

Sounds pretty damn good, doesn't it??

Here is the same video transposed over the original song

https://youtu.be/Y0_cRS5g8Qc?si=jRej3d1yekgFqQvT

It's absolutely I N S A N E that he is able to still sing a nearly pitch and tempo perfect rendition of the song decades after it was originally written and recorded.

If that's not impressive, I don't know what is!  :yarr :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Architeuthis

Re: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:40:45 PM »
Pretty awesome for sure!  Thanks for the links, James is one of my favorites of all time. 💫
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 11:33:18 PM »
A few unkind cellphone clips (let us remember that cellphone microphones don't capture the human voice very well)

Here we go again! There are several pro-shot recordings that support the evidence found in what you're calling "unkind cellphone clips". But I suppose their microphones "don't capture the human voice very well", either, eh?

Otherwise, yes, impressive. I'd just like to hear him do it night in, night out, live. Or at least something close to it. Simple as that, really :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 02:21:43 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 12:21:37 AM »
There may be some people out there who deny that JLB is still as good as ever.

As much as I love LaBrie, I really don't think anyone could ever agree with you he's still as good as ever. Which physically he can't be, since his voices (damages in the past and) aged so much. Is he still a great singer? Surely. Is his voice still wonderful? Surely. But no way on earth he can sing Awake these days like back in the '90's. Even though he still has his goose-bumping moments.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 04:05:33 AM »
A few unkind cellphone clips (let us remember that cellphone microphones don't capture the human voice very well) of him on the last tour.

He was pretty bad last tour. Simple as that. You can't explain how bad he was using cellphone excuse. Other singers sound awesome via cellphone but James not? I don't know exactly what happened but James' been so bad since Astonishing tour. Bad vocal habits, constant concert nights, not resting or caring enough... the reason can be anything but yes he was bad. I am very sorry to see my all time favourite singer like that.

Hopefully he and the band decide to alter vocal melodies and let him sing in his comfort zone. No matter what he has a beautiful, unique and distinct voice. He is still phenomenal studio singer. The issue is the live setting. When it is figured it out he will be awesome again.   
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 04:43:44 AM »
how great, unique, amazIng, and insightful of a singer he is

Oh, my friend, a post like this is like the Horn of Gondor for me. I hear it, I come running, and ardently accept the call to arms.

I was just watching Score last night and admiring his golden, lyrical sound. That's the James who exists forever in my mind and ears, and I can never help thinking wistfully that that's the James I want back. That's my Angel of Music.

I have endlessly defended his honor, running out onto the battlefield like Eowyn, or jumping in front of bullets for him like Eponine in Les Mis. My earlier posts here are full of this, even up to the point where people were saying I defended him "to a fault", and if I'm honest here I can't disagree. I won't ever stop, but I grew tired being quite that fervent, especially when I would be disappointed by my hero in the current days again and again.

My more recent post history is more realistic, less charging with a sword and more analysis of what may be going on. I've explained myself out and I don't need to repeat myself yet again. But I will say this:

I know he's still got it.

The voice is still his. It needs TLC, it needs therapeutic treatment, it needs rebalancing technique, it needs to be honored as the lyrical instrument of beauty that it is. Older? Of course, but that only means more of that special care. Nobody would argue that an antique violin can sound gorgeous in the right hands or that it should be put on a shelf in a museum forever, or only played sparingly and not to its fullest capacity.

That's my long, perhaps embarrassingly poetic (forgive me, it's too early, but not sorry and not editing :)) way of saying that I know he can do it, I have the utmost faith in him, my Angel of Music, my OG favorite singer of all time. And I can't wait to hear what he has in store for us in the coming months ahead.  :angel:

Offline DAYAFTERDAY

• Apocalyptic - James Labrie!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:34:28 AM »
I love James, he's possibly my all time favourite singer. I believe those Cameo performances were from 2021 while we were still in lockdown. He'd had plenty of time to rest as well as take his time getting the perfect recording for those clips. The great thing about them is that it shows he still has the ability to reach those notes. However when he returned to the stage in 2022 we can hear his performance was not even close to the level shown in those videos.

An interesting thing I noticed about those clips are that many of them are much slower than the original recording, I'm by no means a vocal expert but it's almost as if he needs to give his voice more time to transition from chest into the head register and slowing down the performance allows him to do that. Whereas live on tour they obviously can't slow down the songs to that degree which seems to result in James trying to push his chest voice higher or not being able to get his vocal positioning correct for his head voice. Resulting in that strange, almost choked sounding tone that's been plaguing him increasingly over the past few years. This is also why I think he tends to sound better on the slower, more ballady songs, for example on the images & words & beyond tour in 2017, he sounded fairly bad on the I&W stuff, however some of the performances of to live forever I've heard from that tour sounded pretty good. And that's a pretty slow song.

So that's my little theory, it's the speed that is fucking with him.

My other theory is that he needs to shave that goatee and let his hair be a natural colour, that's secretly what drains his vocal powers.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 06:03:49 AM »
Here we go again! There are several pro-shot recordings that support the evidence found in what you're calling "unkind cellphone clips". But I suppose their microphones "don't capture the human voice very well", either, eh?

Otherwise, yes, impressive. I'd just like to hear him do it night in, night out, live. Or at least something close to it. Simple as that, really :)

And at the correct tempo. Sorry OP, there is no way he will actually ever do this live. Nice try. I get it, you have a fixation on the guy but you need to come up for air.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 06:44:47 AM »
Nailing this section in the comfort of your home and doing however many takes as you need until you get one good enough to send as a Cameo is one thing.
Nailing this section in the context of a show where you’ve only got one chance is another thing.

Based on his recent performances, I have no doubt he’d struggle with this one live unless they tuned it down a half or whole step.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 07:11:02 AM »
Just wanna add, I love James's voice, he's perfect for Dream Theater, and he seems like a great bloke, too. My uppitiness is with respect to his live performances particularly in the last 10 years or so.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 07:18:00 AM »
He is, I met him twice and he is friendly and funny beyond belief.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 07:39:58 AM »
Nailing this section in the comfort of your home and doing however many takes as you need until you get one good enough to send as a Cameo is one thing.
Nailing this section in the context of a show where you’ve only got one chance is another thing.

Based on his recent performances, I have no doubt he’d struggle with this one live unless they tuned it down a half or whole step.

That's a fair point

I betcha he can still nail it live, and he'll prove it to us on the next tour :D :tup

Oh, my friend, a post like this is like the Horn of Gondor for me. I hear it, I come running, and ardently accept the call to arms.

I was just watching Score last night and admiring his golden, lyrical sound. That's the James who exists forever in my mind and ears, and I can never help thinking wistfully that that's the James I want back. That's my Angel of Music.

I have endlessly defended his honor, running out onto the battlefield like Eowyn, or jumping in front of bullets for him like Eponine in Les Mis. My earlier posts here are full of this, even up to the point where people were saying I defended him "to a fault", and if I'm honest here I can't disagree. I won't ever stop, but I grew tired being quite that fervent, especially when I would be disappointed by my hero in the current days again and again.

My more recent post history is more realistic, less charging with a sword and more analysis of what may be going on. I've explained myself out and I don't need to repeat myself yet again. But I will say this:

I know he's still got it.

The voice is still his. It needs TLC, it needs therapeutic treatment, it needs rebalancing technique, it needs to be honored as the lyrical instrument of beauty that it is. Older? Of course, but that only means more of that special care. Nobody would argue that an antique violin can sound gorgeous in the right hands or that it should be put on a shelf in a museum forever, or only played sparingly and not to its fullest capacity.

That's my long, perhaps embarrassingly poetic (forgive me, it's too early, but not sorry and not editing :)) way of saying that I know he can do it, I have the utmost faith in him, my Angel of Music, my OG favorite singer of all time. And I can't wait to hear what he has in store for us in the coming months ahead.  :angel:

Well put, and I agree that his voice is like the Stratovarius that you discover in Vault 92 in Fallout 3. Aged, but still sounds beautiful
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 07:40:33 AM »
He is, I met him twice and he is friendly and funny beyond belief.

Never got to meet James. Only MP and JR for me.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 07:40:42 AM »
Honestly didn't sound terrible until "not intending." I feel like they have not been transposing a whole or half step down or slowing tempos and at this age I think they really need to consider it. Maybe we won't ever hear some songs again because they don't sound as good a half or whole step down but it's necessary to help JLB out

Offline efx

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 07:56:08 AM »
Didn't they drop the I&W songs down half a step for the 25th anniversary tour? I saw that show twice and sadly I didn't think it helped much.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 08:19:22 AM »
Every singer starts to lose at a certain age. Geddy, Rik Emmett and surprisingly Bono.

But I think what would help is a less aggressive tour schedule. Maybe with MP back, they can play larger venues less frequently.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 08:30:36 PM »
Jesus christ, again with the "cellphone recordings?" People aren't using their flip phone 2005 nokia to record these - they are using modern smartphones with very capable microphones(especially if they are using the newer iPhones/S23/24/Pixel phones).

Somebody said it earlier, but I will repeat it: James was not great last tour - period. It was a combination of a hard to sing setlist, and him struggling. I have full confidence that with an easier setlist that is more in line with where James can currently sing, and some rest, that James can absolutely sound great next tour, and for years to come.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 09:07:15 PM »
Jesus christ, again with the "cellphone recordings?" People aren't using their flip phone 2005 nokia to record these - they are using modern smartphones with very capable microphones(especially if they are using the newer iPhones/S23/24/Pixel phones).

Somebody said it earlier, but I will repeat it: James was not great last tour - period. It was a combination of a hard to sing setlist, and him struggling. I have full confidence that with an easier setlist that is more in line with where James can currently sing, and some rest, that James can absolutely sound great next tour, and for years to come.

The Rock in Rio pro-shot broadcast wasn't too kind on him either...

As for the bolded part, I feel like we've been saying this before every tour for years now, and nothing has gotten better, really.

Btw, I think he totally can do something about this, but it seems like whatever he's been focusing on hasn't been working.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 12:12:56 AM »
5G leads to off-key

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 06:14:09 AM »
I just happened to read this link:
https://blabbermouth.net/news/billy-sheehan-explains-decision-to-enlist-whitesnakes-michele-luppi-to-assist-with-lead-vocals-during-mr-big-tour

I certainly hope that DT would never go this route, but Billy cites a guy by the name of Ron Anderson who sounds like the guy to go to for vocalists who are struggling. I wonder if JL had ever considered working with him? Crystal and Indiscipline, have either of you ever heard of Ron Anderson? If so, what's your take on him?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 07:28:54 AM »
I am going to try my best to keep this post as Kosher as possible while giving my honest opinion. It really is a balancing act when we talk about this. I have nothing negative to say about JLB the man, so everything I say below is about the music and solely the music.

At this point there is nothing defensible about the situation.

A good Cameo video is not a defense for the persistent struggles to deliver vocal lines with correct pitch and diction. It's not 'a few' instances of mishap. It is literally song after song, night after night of hardship. I am glad to hear that he is able to produce a good Cameo video at home but what does that have to do with a DT show?

I hate to even get into this again but I have to push back on even the hint of this 'argument' which won't die: cellphones are not responsible for his struggles.  I am not accusing you of this but we have had some fans essentially say phones are responsible for changing pitches or distorting his words - an absurd proposition bordering on disinformation at this point. I don't want to indulge this fantasy more but I guess we are supposed to believe that his phone worked well when he was at home recording his Cameo video but when we are taking a video of him on stage, our phones are tricking us into thinking he is singing off key? Please, no.

The reality is that he is struggling to perform and has been for quite some time. The only thing that will make this discussion go away is for him to come out on the DT16 tour and put it to bed. Sing the songs well and most of us are going to be happy. I have hope for the next tour but it's going to take a solid performance on DT16 before anyone can mount a reasonable defense.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 10:40:18 AM »
yeah just have alternate melodies where needed prepared BEFORE going on tour.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 10:49:33 AM »
ron anderson died in 2021, so.. :-\

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 12:28:04 PM »
who's Ron Anderson?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 01:34:26 PM »
who's Ron Anderson?

If you'd read the entirety of your own thread, you'd know :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 02:45:42 PM »
Elaborating on why it was necessary to bring Luppi into the picture, Billy said: "We're not faking anything, and we never have and never will. But the vocal cords are a little tiny, two little flaps of skin there, and done right, with correct training, you can be Tony Bennett and sing into your 90s. But a lot of singers, to hit a higher note, they just push harder. You can only do that for so long. I was very lucky to get vocal lessons from a [vocal coach] named Ron Anderson. And he was the number one guy… When Bono blows his voice out, they fly Ron Anderson in to fix him. He's the guy. Ozzy [Osbourne], Janet Jackson — his list of singers that he works with is an A list of all the best singers there are, everybody. And I went to him for quite a while and really increased my range, my accuracy, everything. I sang my whole life, but I never — like I played bass my whole life. I don't know what I'm doing, but I play it. Same thing with my singing — I sang my whole life. I didn't know what I was doing. But getting some instruction from Mr. Anderson was just amazing.

sorry for quoting you but using the article's words. a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do with only 1 tier of quoting
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2024, 02:49:29 PM »
Maybe with MP back, they can play larger venues less frequently.

Were they playing smaller venues with Mangini? At least in Boston, they were playing the same places they played when MP was in the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2024, 02:52:47 PM »
Were they playing smaller venues with Mangini? At least in Boston, they were playing the same places they played when MP was in the band.

I only saw them with MM in Denver (so far!) but they were playing the smallest place usually here (Paramount) except for the most recent tour where they played a significantly larger venue.

When I was seeing them with MP on the East Coast they were playing much larger venues. Might just be a location thing, though. I have no idea where they played previously with MP in the Mile High City
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »
I only saw them with MM in Denver (so far!) but they were playing the smallest place usually here (Paramount) except for the most recent tour where they played a significantly larger venue.

I have no idea where they played previously with MP in the Mile High City

In Denver..

6 D's tour-The Paramount
ToT : The Paramount
8V:The Fillmore
SC-The Paramount
BC&SL-Buell Theater

When I was seeing them with MP on the East Coast they were playing much larger venues.

Where'd you see them on the East Coast?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 05:22:43 PM »
In Denver..

6 D's tour-The Paramount
ToT : The Paramount
8V:The Fillmore
SC-The Paramount
BC&SL-Buell Theater

Where'd you see them on the East Coast?

damn nice! so more or less the same sized places as with MM. 8VM tour at the Fillmore must have been fun thought, that's a much bigger room

On the East coast i've seen them mostly at either outdoor amphitheater places like this interesting place called Bald Hill (i think?) on Long Island (PN09), or indoor venues in NYC (Terminal 5 for PN08, also saw them at MSG open for Maiden!)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 05:40:26 PM »
also saw them at MSG open for Maiden!)

I saw them open for Maiden too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2024, 05:48:29 PM »
There may be some people out there who deny that JLB is still as good as ever. A few unkind cellphone clips (let us remember that cellphone microphones don't capture the human voice very well) of him on the last tour will never wash away how great, unique, amazIng, and insightful of a singer he is

Here is the evidence:

Our guy was cameo'd (is that the word) a request to do an a capella performance of "Innocence Faded". Here was the result; I believe they speak for themselves

https://youtu.be/QX0k8oRuiOY?si=TSkrAJUBgN1iVeV9

Sounds pretty damn good, doesn't it??

Here is the same video transposed over the original song

https://youtu.be/Y0_cRS5g8Qc?si=jRej3d1yekgFqQvT

It's absolutely I N S A N E that he is able to still sing a nearly pitch and tempo perfect rendition of the song decades after it was originally written and recorded.

If that's not impressive, I don't know what is!  :yarr :metal

That edited version over the top of the original was pretty cool.  I find it hard to watch him in this cameo videos though.

Honestly, we've talked and argued to death about his vocals, so I'm not sure a thread trying to defend him is really necessary, probably just brings up more of than same.  We all love the guy and he's my second fav singer of all time.  To me he is DT.

With your first line, well.....he's not as good as ever, but nor should he be really.  I just think we need to just appreciate the ultimate DT lineup is making new music with James at the helm.  As mentioned in the other thread, I also think his last tour was not great at all but we should all just move on from that and hope for a bounce back with the next one.

I can't wait to hear him on the material the boys have created for him too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2024, 07:10:15 PM »

With MM, I saw them at:

- Nokia/Microsoft Theater (2x - ADTOE and View) - 7,100 seat capacity
- Wiltern Theatre (2x - I&W&B and DOT) - 4,000 seat capacity
- Orpheum Theatre (DT12) - ~2,000 seat capacity
- The Grove (Anaheim) (ADTOE) - 1,700 seat capacity

Not including when they opened for Maiden, the last few shows with MP:

- Greek Theatre (PN09) - 5,900 seat capacity
- Gibson/Universal Amphitheatre (3x - TOT (opening for Yes), SC and PN08) - ~6,100 seat capacity
- The Grove (Anaheim) (8VM) - 1,700 seat capacity

So...roughly the same (although the last show I saw on the View tour wasn't even close to capacity.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2024, 11:05:48 PM »
I've only seen them with MM, 4 times. Along for the Ride Tour, The Astonishing Tour, Distance Over Time/Metropolis Part 2 Anniversary, View from the Top of the World Tour. Each was at the Chicago Theatre.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 01:19:03 AM »
This year will be 25 years since I started seeing DT, for what it's worth, they always played in Milan the big arena that Iron Maiden sell out in a couple of days. The only difference is how much packed the arena is (last time there was pleeeenty of room on the seats), but they never downgraded to a smaller venue, only once in 2002 they got a basically equivalent arena, only a tiny bit smaller (and I remember it was packed).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!