9 (2.6%)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
8 (2.3%)
Dream Theater
25 (7.2%)
[Other]
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 157

Author Topic: Which is Dream Theater's best sounding album ?  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Which is Dream Theater's best sounding album ?
« on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
What say you DTF ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which is Dream Theater's best sounding album ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
I chose Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees and Octavarium.

:)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
Awake, Falling Into Infinity, SDOIT.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »
This exactly. Octavarium would be a close fourth, even though the album itself is my least favourite.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
FII
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:47:51 PM »
Are you talking about the overall mix, or is this just another "what's the best DT album" thread? Mix wise I think DT12 has the best mix so far. Everything is very balanced, and I can hear Myung's bass and not just guitar and drums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »
Are you talking about the overall mix, or is this just another "what's the best DT album" thread? Mix wise I think DT12 has the best mix so far. Everything is very balanced, and I can hear Myung's bass and not just guitar and drums.

The best mix, production, mastering. Overall sonics.

I enjoy the HD TRacks of DT12 a lot at the moment. I think that will rank highly in the future.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
I like that JM is much more audible on DT12 but I preferred his tone on Six degrees and Train of Thought.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
DT12, I&W, and FII

I don't care about the snare, I love the sound of I&W.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
DT12, I&W, and FII

I don't care about the snare, I love the sound of I&W.

LOL triggered snare, that's one of the main reasons why the album sounds so 80's. I think it's part of the charm of that album, and production and mix was great.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

:hifive:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
I&W, Awake. FII. Snare sound doesn't bother me on I&W. Awake is pure awesome, and I love how audible JM is on FII.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
FII, SDOIT, IaW.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
The HD Tracks of the last two with Mike Portnoy. The CDs may have been brickwalled, but everyone's parts sounded amazing regardless. Couple that with some dynamics and a lack of clipping and you have yourself a winner.

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »
FII sounds the best to my ears by far.

-J

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:02 AM »
Awake is my favourite album and it sounds great overall, but SDOIT just sounds stunning in every way!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »
Awake
Falling Into Infinity
Dream Theater
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline efx

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 03:57:38 AM »
FII, nothing else comes close.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:08:36 AM »
I&W (yeah despite the triggered snare)
Awake
FII

3 completely different sounding albums, each one being the best to represent each DT sound element, I&W for the proggy sound, Awake for the more heavy and dark stuff, and FII for the rock sound i love from DT.

If i had to choose one, it would probably be FII, amazing sound overall, very organic and real.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 04:49:32 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
I&W, Awake, Falling Into Infinity, Scenes From a Memory and Six Degrees.

Offline Shine

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
Awake, Awake, and Awake.

lake of fire

Offline adamack

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
I agree with the general consensus here that FII sounds best from a sonic standpoint.

Which brings me to this thought....there is a good and not so good way to look at FII having the most well-received mix in their discography:

Good: Because FII is considered by many to be at the bottom of DT's albums, at least it can claim a pleasurable listening experience from a sonic/mix perspective. To many, it needs all of the help it can get, so a great mix keeps it from being considered any lower than it is.

Not So Good: Wouldn't ya know it? The album that is considered by many to be one of DT's lesser-received gets rewarded with arguably the best mix of them all. Imagine if all of their highest regarded albums sounded as good!

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »
ToT
FII

All others have too many pros and cons. Like I&W has "the snare," Awake is too thin and sterile for me, bass is too quiet in 6DOIT, SC too hot, SFAM is two mixes and so on.

I'm a sucker for ToT as I love Recto tone, JM is enough in the mix, and that thing is loud without clipping. FII is similar in most regards, which more respect for the keys compared with ToT.
---

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
FII is the only one I voted for. In a discography of otherwise not-so-great sounding albums, FII always blows me away.

As an example, I don't particularly like New Millennium much as an individual song, but it sounds sooo good. And then the ones that I do like, ToT, LitS, Anna Lee, HY, and Hell's Kitchen...  :hefdaddy

I try to imagine what ToT might sound like if it was produced similarly to BC&SL and it hurts.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adastra

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
I would say FII. Drums sound amazing in it!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
What's so great about FII? I'm very unpicky when it comes to production so I seldom have an issue with how albums sound. Literally, the only time I've ever disliked the sound of any album was when I heard Richard Christy's drums on Death's final album, The Sound of Perseverance, and even that grew on me over time.

So basically, tell me what in particular you guys find so bonerific about FII.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »
What's so great about FII? I'm very unpicky when it comes to production so I seldom have an issue with how albums sound. Literally, the only time I've ever disliked the sound of any album was when I heard Richard Christy's drums on Death's final album, The Sound of Perseverance, and even that grew on me over time.

Every instrument sounds great individually, and the mix is great, so you can appreciate it all.

First of all, there's that warm, acoustic drum sound, that doesn't sound overprocessed to the point of sounding fake like some other albums, but doesn't sound dry and raw either. Just the right amount of reverb, all of the drums are clear, and the kick/snare have punch to them.

The bass sounds fat and smooth, and not distorted. JM is playing a lot of great stuff, and you can hear it all so clearly.

JP uses a lot of different guitars for a variety of classic guitar sounds, and he doesn't use a heavily overdriven metal sound. It's a good hard rock sound that works perfectly for that style of music. Couple that with rock playing on this album, such as the LITS solo, and you've got yourself a treat.

And Derek uses traditional sounds for a lot of the album, such as piano, and hammond organ, and some simple pads, that complements the rest of the music well.

It's a very natural and dynamic sounding album, with a lot of warmth and clarity. In conclusion, that is why in particular the album sounds so bonerific to me.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
Bonerific indeed :) Great post, Blobert :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LTE3

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
I guess Kevin the "caveman" Shirley really does know his shit. My surprise is disagreement with the poll is Awake, which I believe is second from the bottom for worst sounding DT album. It sounds dated, and for me is just missing depth.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline adamack

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

Every instrument sounds great individually, and the mix is great, so you can appreciate it all.

First of all, there's that warm, acoustic drum sound, that doesn't sound overprocessed to the point of sounding fake like some other albums, but doesn't sound dry and raw either. Just the right amount of reverb, all of the drums are clear, and the kick/snare have punch to them.

The bass sounds fat and smooth, and not distorted. JM is playing a lot of great stuff, and you can hear it all so clearly.

JP uses a lot of different guitars for a variety of classic guitar sounds, and he doesn't use a heavily overdriven metal sound. It's a good hard rock sound that works perfectly for that style of music. Couple that with rock playing on this album, such as the LITS solo, and you've got yourself a treat.

And Derek uses traditional sounds for a lot of the album, such as piano, and hammond organ, and some simple pads, that complements the rest of the music well.

It's a very natural and dynamic sounding album, with a lot of warmth and clarity. In conclusion, that is why in particular the album sounds so bonerific to me.

Great explanation. Agreed with everything here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
No need to start a whole new thread but worst sounding album is either SC or WDADU.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
No need to start a whole new thread but worst sounding album is either SC or WDADU.

SC is not a bad sounding album, aside from the mastering. The mix is actually very good and clear. The problem is the over-compression, and the heavy clipping on the bass drum. But the rest of the production isn't bad at all.

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »

Perfect description, right down to the adjective "bonerific." :tup

-J