3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 190859 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Conference Championship Week
« Reply #2870 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
I think it's presumptuous to think that any QB can be dropped into the system and you'd get that kind of performance or time.  Maybe for a season or two, but over the better part of two decades?  Yeah, Belichick is the man behind the curtain, but he can do what he does in part BECAUSE of Brady.   There ARE things that Brady does that few if any other QBs can do on a regular, consistent basis.   This year excluded, you don't see Brady heaving up balls for grabs.   You don't see him floating balls back across the field.  You don't see him taking unnecessary hits in the open field.   You don't see him losing his shit in the huddle.   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Divisional Week
« Reply #2871 on: January 14, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »
In a point spread contest I am doing with a couple friends, I took all four dogs and the points this weekend, but the only one I am really confident about is Dallas, who I think will win outright tonight against the Rams.
You chose........Poorly.... :biggrin:  I was shaking my head all week listening to all the idiot talking heads completely discounting the Rams. Also NONE of them talking about the 2 headed monster of Gurley and CJ.  I mean why would they?  CJ had just rushed for 299yds in 2 games prior to Saturdays game.  :lol

Can't wait for an entire week of 90% of the talking heads saying why the Saints won't be able to keep up with a team they already beat by 10 who'll be missing a WR that was hugely responsible for why it was even that close all because they struggled against a 6 seed that everyone just spent 2 weeks crowning as the 1A seed of the NFC due to the return of a tried-and-true QB they don't even trust enough to give the full time starting spot.
Not sure why you think that?  I figure it will be the reverse, just like last week when they said Dallas would paste us.  It should be a helluva game.  Our defense better show up!  Losing Rankins might hurt you guys.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:08:22 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
In a point spread contest I am doing with a couple friends, I took all four dogs and the points this weekend, but the only one I am really confident about is Dallas, who I think will win outright tonight against the Rams.
You chose........Poorly.... :biggrin:  I was shaking my head all week listening to all the idiot talking heads completely discounting the Rams. Also NONE of them talking about the 2 headed monster of Gurley and CJ.  I mean why would they?  CJ had just rushed for 299yds in 2 games prior to Saturdays game.  :lol

Can't wait for an entire week of 90% of the talking heads saying why the Saints won't be able to keep up with a team they already beat by 10 who'll be missing a WR that was hugely responsible for why it was even that close all because they struggled against a 6 seed that everyone just spent 2 weeks crowning as the 1A seed of the NFC due to the return of a tried-and-true QB they don't even trust enough to give the full time starting spot.
Not sure why you think that?  I figure it will be the reverse, just like last week when they said Dallas would paste us.  It should be a helluva game.  Our defense better show up!  Losing Rankins my hurt you guys.

This could be my bias, but I think it's less "undervaluing the Rams", than it is "overvaluing the Cowboys".   Look, it's unassailable:  "Defense wins championships" and this is the first time, I believe, that the final four teams are in fact the four best offenses in the league.  So now you go to the other side of the ball and start to look at who has the ability to change the game, and I think in that analysis it's NE and NO.    It's not a knock against the Rams (though I am absolutely knocking the Chiefs, but my bias is clear and unabashed) but a falling back on standard wisdom of the NFL.  Wisdom which, it should be acknowledged, may be out the window this year.

I think there is meaning in the fact that the NO and NE games both ended with a key interception, metaphorically taking the ball out of the hands of the offense that was threatening. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: January 14, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »
I agree with most of what you said.  While my Rams D has driven me frikken crazy most of the year, they have stepped up in more than a few games this year when it counted.  Against the Saint they are definitly gonna need to bring their "A" game.  One plus will be we will have Talib for this game, where we didn't in the earlier match up.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2874 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I didn't hear many people blowing off the Rams. They were favored because they were the better team. Thinking another team might beat them is not the same as thinking they suck. Brady was saying the same thing, yet the Pats were still the favorites.

And Talib might be a plus and he might be a liability. Usually it's the former, but you never know when he's due for a freakout.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2875 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:09 PM »
Home field is going to make all of the difference this weekend. The Chiefs defense has played significantly better at home and the Pat defense (and team as a whole) has played significantly worse on the road. Rams have also struggled on the road. Both are true coin flip games but this is why Home Field advantage in the playoffs is such a HUGE deal.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: January 14, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
Home field is going to make all of the difference this weekend. The Chiefs defense has played significantly better at home and the Pat defense (and team as a whole) has played significantly worse on the road. Rams have also struggled on the road. Both are true coin flip games but this is why Home Field advantage in the playoffs is such a HUGE deal.
I dunno if I would call 6-2 Rams road record struggling. But sure... you always wanna be at home!!!

And Talib might be a plus and he might be a liability. Usually it's the former, but you never know when he's due for a freakout.
Yeah.... like in this post game Goff interview.....wait for it.... :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1y569ZilEw

Talib is responding to earlier in the week when Demarcus Lawerence said he was gonna take Goff's soul..... :lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:10:50 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: January 14, 2019, 02:08:00 PM »
my bad... double post.. ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2878 on: January 14, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »
I think it's presumptuous to think that any QB can be dropped into the system and you'd get that kind of performance or time.  Maybe for a season or two, but over the better part of two decades?  Yeah, Belichick is the man behind the curtain, but he can do what he does in part BECAUSE of Brady.   There ARE things that Brady does that few if any other QBs can do on a regular, consistent basis.   This year excluded, you don't see Brady heaving up balls for grabs.   You don't see him floating balls back across the field.  You don't see him taking unnecessary hits in the open field.   You don't see him losing his shit in the huddle.

I actually agree with most of this.

I cringe every time I see quarterbacks who haven't figured out that it is not smart to take hits. Avoid the hit and live to play another down.

And while Brady is apparently been pissed that Belichick doesn't treat him with more respect than other players (it has been said that Belichick has no problem ripping Brady to shreds in front of the team if they are looking at film and he made a bad throw or read), I think that continues to help Brady.  Being a 6th round draft pick, he has always played with a chip on his shoulder, and by riding his ass, Belichick keeps that chip there, and Brady plays better as a result. 

CJ Anderson will always have a soft spot in my heart for the OT TD run against the Patriots that helped them seal the 1 seed in 2015 (that led to the Super Bowl win), but I am amazed at how productive he has been since arriving to the Rams considering how fat he looks.  The Rams line was opening up such huge holes Saturday, I think I could have scored a touchdown. :lol :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »

CJ Anderson will always have a soft spot in my heart for the OT TD run against the Patriots that helped them seal the 1 seed in 2015 (that led to the Super Bowl win), but I am amazed at how productive he has been since arriving to the Rams considering how fat he looks.  The Rams line was opening up such huge holes Saturday, I think I could have scored a touchdown. :lol :lol
I was shocked to hear he was even available when Malcom Brown, then Gurley went down.  He actually said post game that he was old and fat... :lol.  And yeah, there were some pretty nice holes for him.  In the cards and niners game though he ran over some people.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Chargers vs. Patriots
« Reply #2880 on: January 14, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »
This game is soooo boring.

All the games were boring.  None of the road teams showed up.  I was expecting some upsets and got nothing but the same old predictable NFL. :\
Now the only thing left is hoping the Pats don't make it to the SB....AGAIN!

Eagles showed up. Not sure what you were watching.

They showed up in the 1st Qtr and then got outscored 20-0.  That isn't showing up.  That's making an appearance and ducking out early.  What were you watching?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: January 14, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
And while Brady is apparently been pissed that Belichick doesn't treat him with more respect than other players (it has been said that Belichick has no problem ripping Brady to shreds in front of the team if they are looking at film and he made a bad throw or read), I think that continues to help Brady.  Being a 6th round draft pick, he has always played with a chip on his shoulder, and by riding his ass, Belichick keeps that chip there, and Brady plays better as a result. 

Good point, and that's part of what I'm saying; Phil Simms has talked about this a lot.  He HATED when Parcells rode him (and yet didn't seem to even bother with the cloud of hookers and blow that surrounded LT) but in hindsight he said that he wouldn't be the player he was or the man he is without Parcells.  I feel like 10 years from now - you know, a year after Brady retires ;) - he'll be saying the same thing about Belichick.

Humans are motivated in different ways, and while Belichick isn't a god or perfect, I have to believe that with all the research and science that goes into the Patriots way, he knows at this point what buttons to push - and how hard - to make the thing work.  You notice that some of the chatter about the Pats has calmed down over the past couple weeks?   I think it's because cooler heads prevailed (and I also think it's because the new head coach has already been named).   

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Chargers vs. Patriots
« Reply #2882 on: January 14, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
This game is soooo boring.

All the games were boring.  None of the road teams showed up.  I was expecting some upsets and got nothing but the same old predictable NFL. :\
Now the only thing left is hoping the Pats don't make it to the SB....AGAIN!

Eagles showed up. Not sure what you were watching.

They showed up in the 1st Qtr and then got outscored 20-0.  That isn't showing up.  That's making an appearance and ducking out early.  What were you watching?

They lost by six. They were on a potential game winning drive until a Freak occurrence happened. Teams that dont show up don't have a chance to win that late in the game. Nice try though.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2883 on: January 14, 2019, 04:57:51 PM »

Good point, and that's part of what I'm saying; Phil Simms has talked about this a lot.  He HATED when Parcells rode him (and yet didn't seem to even bother with the cloud of hookers and blow that surrounded LT) but in hindsight he said that he wouldn't be the player he was or the man he is without Parcells.  I feel like 10 years from now - you know, a year after Brady retires ;) - he'll be saying the same thing about Belichick.

Humans are motivated in different ways, and while Belichick isn't a god or perfect, I have to believe that with all the research and science that goes into the Patriots way, he knows at this point what buttons to push - and how hard - to make the thing work.  You notice that some of the chatter about the Pats has calmed down over the past couple weeks?   I think it's because cooler heads prevailed (and I also think it's because the new head coach has already been named).

Some players really need that to be pushed to compete at their highest level.

This is going way back, but the relationship between Terry Bradshaw and Chuck Noll was very chilly to say the least. Noll rode his ass constantly, and Terry has been butt-hurt about it his entire life. However, the results speak for themselves. There's no way that team wins 4 of 6 if Chuck goes easy on him.

Then again, I don't think that would work well with every QB. I've never heard of Bill Walsh being a hard-ass with Joe Montana. I get the impression that he was probably very business-like with him, but not hard.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2884 on: January 14, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »

Arrowhead and the Superdome are two of the most hostile environments for opposing teams in the league. When the Chiefs and Saints are good, those two stadiums are near impossible to win in as a road team. Here’s hoping that’s the case on Championship Sunday. I love the Rams but the Saints are one of my favorites. And I don’t think I have to mention how I feel about the Pats.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Rams @ Saints - Patriots @ Chiefs
« Reply #2885 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:49 PM »
Chiefs Rams super bowl.... calling it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2886 on: January 15, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »

Woah, going out on a limb there! :P

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: January 15, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
My preseason prediction of the Patriots and Rams is still in play. But having seen the season play out, I'd pick New Orleans to beat LA again in that dome

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2888 on: January 15, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
What a ratings disaster that would be!  :lol  I wouldn't even bother watching.

Pats v. Saints
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: January 15, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Pats v. Saints

That's what I think too, but I can see any combo of the four.  Actually really good looking slate of games this weekend.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2890 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:49 AM »

Pats v. Saints

They just have to hype it up as a rematch of the highest scoring MNF game ever.

I can see good storylines for every matchup honestly

Saints vs Pats: Two veteran QBs at the tail end of their careers, finally playing each other in the big game.

Saints vs Chiefs: Two offensive powerhouses. New Hotness vs Old But Not Busted

Rams vs Chiefs: Two young hot QBs who are the future of the NFL, in a rematch of a game that totaled 105 points.

Rams vs Pats: Another New Hotness vs Old but Not Busted, "Tonight a dynasty ends" (in reference to Ricky Proehl's quote "Tonight a dynasty begins", in which he unknowingly condemned the world to two decades of Patriot dominance)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

Pats v. Saints

What, you're not going to tune in for the Maroon 5/Travis Scott halftime extravaganza?! 

I have my DVR set, and I'm even wiring it up so I can download it onto my iPod when it's done. I'm sure it's going to be all live, and there will be nuggetz galore!   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2892 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »

Woah, going out on a limb there! :P

Not like there are a lot of options or that ANY match up would be going out on a limb.

Rams vs Pats: Another New Hotness vs Old but Not Busted, "Tonight a dynasty ends" (in reference to Ricky Proehl's quote "Tonight a dynasty begins", in which he unknowingly condemned the world to two decades of Patriot dominance)

This would probably be the most compelling match up given how the Patriots' dynasty began.  Not exactly a parallel situation, but pretty close.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »
Watching the Rosman/Pederson presser and the reiterated that Carson Wentz is the QB moving forward. Expect Foles to explore free agency.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
Apparently Kubiak is headed to Minnesota. What the heck happened in Denver?

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2895 on: January 15, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
It sounds like he and Elway/Fangio didn't share the same vision when it came to assembling the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Kubiak wanted to bring some of the coaches back that were part of the 2015/2016 teams, and Elway wanted to move in a different direction. I'm disappointed that Kubiak is moving on, but I can't blame Elway for wanting to go a different direction, since the 2015/2016 Broncos offenses didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I'm really looking forward to the games this weekend. I'll be rooting for the Saints to win it all, but I'm also hoping the Patriots take care of business against the Chiefs. I was pretty impressed with how they embarrassed the Chargers last weekend as much as I don't like the Pats.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2896 on: January 16, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
Should have two good matchups this weekend, which in theory will lead to a good matchup in the Super Bowl.

And since the halftime show promises to be the worst in recent memory, I should have time to smoke a cigar then.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: January 16, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »
And since the halftime show promises to be the worst in recent memory, I should have time to smoke a cigar then.

I never heard of Big Boi but certainly doesn't sound like must watch TV

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2898 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »

Seriously, how hard is it to get a good artist for this? Lady Gaga was amazing a couple of years ago. How about Metallica? How about Zac Brown? It is in Georgia. I don't know if this will ever match the travesty that was the Black Eyed Peas but I have 0 interest in watching Maroon 5 and some rappers.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2899 on: January 16, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »

Seriously, how hard is it to get a good artist for this? Lady Gaga was amazing a couple of years ago. How about Metallica? How about Zac Brown? It is in Georgia. I don't know if this will ever match the travesty that was the Black Eyed Peas but I have 0 interest in watching Maroon 5 and some rappers.

I'm sure you know this, but they try to pick an act that will appeal to the most non-football watchers, as the football demographic will already be tuned in anyway.

I also heard that it was hard for the NFL to get other artists, as the ones that they invited declined due to the Kaepernick controversy. Even one of the rappers that agreed to the show only agreed to do it if the NFL donated $500,000 to his foundation for social justice.

I agree with you though, I have no interest in seeing Maroon 5.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: January 16, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
Maroon 5 is fine, I just don't even know who these other singers are (rappers i guess).  But Maroon 5 isn't really "must watch" either but then again most of the half time shows aren't.  Seems par for the course minus some unknown names to me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2901 on: January 16, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
I have no interest in the halftime show.  I've heard of Maroon 5 but don't know if I would recognize any of their songs.  Don't know the other two performers.

I looked at the list of halftime acts at Wikipedia.  I vaguely recall seeing some of Katy Perry's show, which was vaguely amusing but, while I actually like her voice and a couple of her songs, musically awful.  I also vaguely recall some of Bruno Mars and thinking it was silly that, with 12 guys on stage, he basically sounded the same as the Police did with 3.  Scrolling back into the mid-90s, the only non-crap act I saw was The Who.  I have no recollection at all of watching that, though.  The one that I might have to try and find is Super Bowl 29:  Patti Labelle, Indiana Jones & Marion Ravenwood, Teddy Pendergrass, etc.  Did "Indy" and "Marion" sing?  I assume it was not actually Harrison Ford and Karen Allen.  Seriously, WTF?!

The headliner at Super Bowl 23 was "Elvis Presto."  I'm sure I was crying in my Orange Crush by halftime, so I'm sure I didn't watch.

At this point, it would be more enjoyable to bring back Up with People.

As for the game, I'm slightly pulling for the Chiefs to win it all, followed by the Rams, Saints and Patriots, but even a Saints v. Patriots match up will be entertaining.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2902 on: January 16, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
The only combination that wouldn't be entertaining to all is NE/LA. That would most likely be very similar to the last one, and defensive games aren't exactly popular for the SB audience. All other matchups would be high scoring affairs, and thus ratings bonanzas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2903 on: January 16, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
The only combination that wouldn't be entertaining to all is NE/LA.

What be even more entertaining is watching Marshall Faulk poke his eyes out watching the lead up to the game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2904 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »
I'm hoping for LA/KC
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.